Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,997 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic (6857 Views)

List Of Coups D'etat And coup Attempts From 2010 Till Date / Egypt: Coup D'etat / Military Intervention Plan Implemented - 17/03/2010 - Coup d'etat to follow. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by asha80(m): 4:40pm On Feb 18, 2010
UPDATED: Coup D'etat in Niger Republic
Written by Saharareporters, New York
Thursday, 18 February 2010 10:46

Saharareporters has learned that a bloody coup d'etat in is progress in the republic of Niger where the president, Mamadou Tanja, recently extended his tenure in defiance of public opinion. Sources at the ECOWAS headquarters in Abuja told our reporters that they are yet to get a full picture of the insurrection against the Nigerien government as the time of filing this report.

Niger republic and Guinea are currently suspended from the Economic Council of West Africa States. Sources in the state capital Niamey said the coupists have gained control of the Presidential Villa. They are claims (unverified) that the president of Niger and the prime minister have been captured by the coup plotters.

http://saharareporters.com/real-news/newsflash/5212-coup-detat-in-niger-republic.html

See comments  shocked

Walor said: 
, My my my, Wat de F#%k, !! Oh God how i wish it's in Nigeria, Oppss sorry folks that how i feel, but maybe a big lesson for those Bastards holding tight power in Abuja, there time is near, Today its (Niger), maybe next time you add (ia), Death on Dem all, Fire burn them,   

Win said: 
I was jumping thinking it is a coup d'etat in progress in Niger Delta before i read between the lines to see Niger
grin. Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! hear my cry not Nigeria. Arise! Arise! Arise! today my soldiers and resque the nation. This is a national call to arms in defence of the mother land. The world will be behind you. No shaking.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 18, 2010
Asha80

It tells you how short-sighted we are. Is there anyone who benefits from a coup situation other than the very people trying to subvert our constitution?
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by EzeUche(m): 4:47pm On Feb 18, 2010
This almost had me excited!  cheesy

I do not want a military man in power, I was a revolution in which my people can finally get their freedom.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by asha80(m): 4:47pm On Feb 18, 2010
mikeansy:

Asha80

It tells you how short-sighted we are. Is there anyone who benefits from a coup situation other than the very people trying to subvert our constitution?

Men the thing tire me o
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 18, 2010
EzeUche:

This almost had me excited!  cheesy

Excited over what?

Colnel Yar'adua to take over from President Yar'adua?

You think Wole Soyinka and Tunde Bakare etc can ochestrate a coup for You and I

Those who have the resources and wherewithal to conduct a coup right now are the Tanimu Yakubu's of this world, Iboris, Sarki Mukhtars. They are the ones who have no favourable option if the rule of law is followed and thus will be more desperate to use any means available to hold on to power.

So think carefully of what you wish for.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Theface200: 5:00pm On Feb 18, 2010
africa
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by naijaswag1: 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2010
Why wont there be e coup in Niger when the man who was supposed to mediate and take charge left for two months and left abad precedent for other African leaders to follow?
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 18, 2010
Looks like Niger has a new leader

Major Adamou Harouna Umourou
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by forpeace: 7:54pm On Feb 18, 2010
An ordinary major? SHAME.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by doyin13(m): 7:56pm On Feb 18, 2010
mikeansy:

lol . . . Sounds like a mai guard
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by vigasimple(m): 8:23pm On Feb 18, 2010
mikeansy:

Maybe our own Umoru has 'relocated' to Niger Republic because your wahala in Nigeria he too much wahalahi. shege grin grin grin
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by strangleyo: 8:31pm On Feb 18, 2010
The president of Niger dismissed parliament at his own peril.

When will African leaders learn that Africans are tired of being treated like slaves in their own country.

Nigeria is rated the worst country in the world for living standards, below Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hopefully elections are called immediately.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Nobody: 8:32pm On Feb 18, 2010
naija_swag:

Why wont there be e coup in Niger when the man who was supposed to mediate and take charge left for two months and left abad precedent for other African leaders to follow?
lol
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by vigasimple(m): 8:42pm On Feb 18, 2010
strangleyo:

The president of Niger dismissed parliament at his own peril.

When will African leaders learn that Africans are tired of being treated like slaves in their own country.

Nigeria is rated the worst country in the world for living standards, below Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hopefully elections are called immediately.

1. Well, when you do a coup, and dismiss Parliament, it is always at the risk of the military officer because the consequence is severe if it goes wrong, and he and his team are aware of it

2. You mean NIGER and not Nigeria

3. I think calling immediate election is propably what the young office will be looking to do, that is my gut feeling and he will become an hero simply because the sitting President defie his own people and international community and continue in power.

I wish the youn officer can do a JJ Rawlings on this politicians for fear to be in their heart
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by strangleyo: 9:13pm On Feb 18, 2010
vigasimple:

1. Well, when you do a coup, and dismiss Parliament, it is always at the risk of the military officer because the consequence is severe if it goes wrong, and he and his team are aware of it

2. You mean NIGER and not Nigeria

3. I think calling immediate election is propably what the young office will be looking to do, that is my gut feeling and he will become an hero simply because the sitting President defie his own people and international community and continue in power.

I wish the youn officer can do a JJ Rawlings on this politicians for fear to be in their heart

My apologies i meant Niger.

If Jonathan stands by what he said today regarding coups, he will issue the Niger Republic an ultimatum, if elections are not organized Nigeria should proceed to remove the coup plotters and call elections for them.

West Africa needs 1 country to stabilize the region.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by vigasimple(m): 9:58pm On Feb 18, 2010
strangleyo:

If Jonathan stands by what he said today regarding coups, he will issue the Niger Republic an ultimatum, if elections are not organized Nigeria should proceed to remove the coup plotters and call elections for them.

Good point, BUT where is the MORAL AUTHORITY? from the criminal organization called PDP? sorry guys, pigs might even fly before that happens, how are they going to remove them? their previous Civilian President Tanjan was warned about his actions, he did not listern, they imposed sanction he did not deter him until 'bablets eagles major umoru' came for him.

In everything you do in life , always remember moral authority and if you have no clean hands you cannot go to equity. That is simple lesson of life for anybody in the position of power.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by strangleyo: 10:47pm On Feb 18, 2010
vigasimple:

Good point, BUT where is the MORAL AUTHORITY? from the criminal organization called PDP? sorry guys, pigs might even fly before that happens, how are they going to remove them? their previous Civilian President Tanjan was warned about his actions, he did not listern, they imposed sanction he did not deter him until 'bablets eagles major umoru' came for him.

In everything you do in life , always remember moral authority and if you have no clean hands you cannot go to equity. That is simple lesson of life for anybody in the position of power.

Military intervention.

Nigeria has possibly the best army in W.Africa. Simply remove him by force.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by redsun(m): 10:50pm On Feb 18, 2010
Let him be snapped off.African leaders deserves to be buried alive.Like the jews will call it,the wraths of god.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by SkyBlue1: 11:11pm On Feb 18, 2010
strangleyo:

And you think Nigeria is that country? Apologies but it really seems like delusions of grandeur. Nigeria seriously needs to get its house in order.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by bibiking1(m): 11:36pm On Feb 18, 2010
Sadsad africa!!!
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Alxmyr(m): 11:42pm On Feb 18, 2010
Those who made peaceful change impossible makes violent change inevitable, Tandja is a bad news in Africa democracy,
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by nduchucks: 11:43pm On Feb 18, 2010
Jonathan should give the coup leaders 48hrs to give up, or we are coming in!  cheesy
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by strangleyo: 11:56pm On Feb 18, 2010
Sky Blue:

And you think Nigeria is that country? Apologies but it really seems like delusions of grandeur. Nigeria seriously needs to get its house in order.

America didn't hesitate with Haiti in 1915, Nigeria shouldn't hesitate now.

We can't have regime changes like this any longer.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Nobody: 12:06am On Feb 19, 2010
strangleyo:

America didn't hesitate with Haiti in 1915, Nigeria shouldn't hesitate now.

We can't have regime changes like this any longer.

I don't think you understand what is going on in Niger

President Mamadou Tanja dissolved parliament, changed constitution and continued his stay in office without election. Why will anybody commit their army to go and sustain such a status quo.

The whole world have appealed, threatened and sanction Mamadou Tandja . . . .he has been unco-operative. Only last week Abdusalanmi Abubakar the mediator left Niger peace talks because Tandja is uncooperative and will not agree to concede or reach any form of agreement with opposition forces.

Trust me if we lived in a world where anybody will openly congratulate coups, people would have congratulated the Nigerien coup. World leaders are only keeping their fingers crossed hoping that the coup leaders will be willing to come to a deal to restore democracy in Niger.

So Nigeria has no business sending troops to Niger, there is nothing to defend. There is no point going to defend an emerging dictatorship.

Mamadou Tandja's administration ended in December after which he is no longer eleigible to continue in office according to their constitution. So if he is lucky to be alive after this process he should go home and relax.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Nobody: 12:19am On Feb 19, 2010
Military coup ousts Niger president

The president was seized in a gun battle in Niger's capital, Niamey
A coup has taken place in Niger and the president has been captured after a gun battle in the capital, Niamey.

In a television announcement, a spokesman for the plotters said Niger's constitution had been suspended and all state institutions dissolved.

The country was now being led by a group called the Supreme Council for the Restoration of Democracy (CSRD), the spokesman said.

President Mamadou Tandja is believed to be in captivity at a military barracks.

Reports say government ministers are also being held.

Making the announcement on television, the spokesman for the coup leaders, wearing a military uniform, was surrounded by a large group of soldiers.

He called on the people of Niger to "remain calm and stay united around the ideals postulated by the CSRD", to "make Niger an example of democracy and good governance".

"We call on national and international opinions to support us in our patriotic action to save Niger and its population from poverty, deception and corruption, " he added.

Tensions have been growing in the uranium-rich nation since last year.

Mr Tandja was widely criticised when he changed the constitution in August to allow him to stand for a third term.

confirmed Mamadou Tandja is now history

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8523196.stm
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Gekko(m): 12:23am On Feb 19, 2010
mikeansy is right Tandja had it coming, especially after abolishing term limits, even US clearly supports this coup with this statement,

In Washington, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the situation was "very fluid" in Niger and the United States was closely monitoring it.

"Clearly, we do not in any way, shape or form, you know, defend violence of this nature, but clearly we think this underscores that Niger needs to move ahead with the elections and the formation of a new government," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61H4VB20100218
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by SEFAGO(m): 12:30am On Feb 19, 2010
TIA this is africa grin grin grin
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by Beaf: 12:38am On Feb 19, 2010

Colonel Goukoye Abdul Karimou
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by strangleyo: 12:42am On Feb 19, 2010
mikeansy:

I don't think you understand what is going on in Niger

President Mamadou Tanja dissolved parliament, changed constitution and continued his stay in office without election. Why will anybody commit their army to go and sustain such a status quo.

The whole world have appealed, threatened and sanction Mamadou Tandja . . . .he has been unco-operative. Only last week Abdusalanmi Abubakar the mediator left Niger peace talks because Tandja is uncooperative and will not agree to concede or reach any form of agreement with opposition forces.

Trust me if we lived in a world where anybody will openly congratulate coups, people would have congratulated the Nigerien coup. World leaders are only keeping their fingers crossed hoping that the coup leaders will be willing to come to a deal to restore democracy in Niger.

So Nigeria has no business sending troops to Niger, there is nothing to defend. There is no point going to defend an emerging dictatorship.

Mamadou Tandja's administration ended in December after which he is no longer eleigible to continue in office according to their constitution. So if he is lucky to be alive after this process he should go home and relax.

Like I said, the coup plotters now need to re-instate the constitution before it was amended and step aside.

This cannot be another Guinea fiasco.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by shotster50(m): 1:27am On Feb 19, 2010
Lets see if Umoru wont do another Tanja. African leaders have shown time and time again that they do not learn from history.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by shanda(m): 8:09am On Feb 19, 2010
Though not right. I'm in support of the coup if the plotters will be willing to conduct fresh election in few months and also go back to the country;s old constitution. I don't pray Tandja survives it as it will be good lesson to others.
Re: Updated: Coup D'etat In Niger Republic by ElRazur: 9:38am On Feb 19, 2010
The post of presidency to most people in Africa is like what the ring is to Gollum in Lord of the ring.  It will forever remain attractive to them until it sucks the life out of them. In other words, it is evident that power corrupts and even corrupts more in Africa.
As it stands, time will tell if the plotters live up to their words. Or will they be another Gollum? Time will tell.

The African Union said this:

The African Union has condemned the takeover saying coups were contrary to the AU's vision of a continent free of unconstitutional changes of government.

Seriously? Where were they when changes was been made to the constitution by the now ousted president? Someone please tell me they did voice concern.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pizza Shop Offers Discount To Gun-Owners / Dirty Politics: Nude Photos Of Rwanda’s Female Presidential Candidate Leaked / CNN Now Admits Trump Will Remain President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.