Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System (20729 Views)

If Lockdown Persists, What Will Happen To Our Education System? / List Of JAMB Cut-Off Marks For All Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by Phealipo(m): 3:53pm On Aug 24, 2017
I think its gonna be business boom for the universities, as everybody will be writing post jamb now, and dem go still select who dem wan select, eg uniport has capacity to admit 3000, and over 30,000 choose the institution, as the bars have been reduced, 30,000 will pay 2k for the post jamb exam, at the end 3000 will be admitted and 27000 will not, making the school 54m richer...just saying.

1 Like

Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by ozoneymcm: 3:59pm On Aug 24, 2017
RIPEnglish:
The country is ran by a fulani and other northerner illiterate so we can expected the worse to came to happened.
I am sure you were admitted with a jamb score 121
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by Kiakia(m): 4:15pm On Aug 24, 2017
mccoy47:
That NUC guy is just a mediocre!
What does he mean setting 120 (30%) as cut off mark for universities? Shame!!! grin
In an examination, a score of 120/400 cannot be regarded as a pass. Half of that which is 200 can be so regarded.
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by RIPEnglish: 4:35pm On Aug 24, 2017
naturebase:

As you don make that comment, make sure you carry your guys go celebrate..... Monkey
monkey is you surname i knew before.
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by gabicon: 4:55pm On Aug 24, 2017
The new cut off mark is a strategy for the institutions to make money. post utme cost 3500 averagely, less than 40% of those who sit for jamb gets to write post utme. 90% of candidates that sit for jamb score at least 120, most of those that score less than 180 can't pass post utme. It's all about the Benjamin's that is not to say that a loophole hasn't been created for runs in higher institution of learning.

1 Like

Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 24, 2017
Opinionated:
By Abdussalam Amoo

​The new cut off mark for entry into tertiary institutions announced on Tuesday by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has become a topic of discourse. According to news reports, JAMB and the Vice Chancellors of all Nigerian universities agreed that 120 should be the cut off mark for entrants into universities. For polytechnics and other institutions, it the mark was pegged at 100 minimum.

It has been difficult for many of us understanding the rationale behind the resolution reached by the authorities. For me, I had thought hypothetically that it was another attempt to increase the chances of admission for those from educationally disadvantaged areas in the country. We are not unfamiliar with situations where standards were lowered for admission into unity schools for certain students based on their states of origin.

Perhaps, it was because many candidates performed below expectation in the exams. Most of those I know-of score above 250 marks. But this was an entirely computer-based exam written by many candidates who were perhaps seeing a computer for the first time. Maybe our assumptions were wrong. It would be nice if JAMB could be giving the public a breakdown of candidates’ performance as the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) and the National Examinations Council (NECO) do every year to help us understand the extent of candidates’ performances in the exams.

However, I learnt that the reason behind resorting to such a low mark was for the sake of ‘equity’. An official present at the meeting pointed out that JAMB lamented situations whereby universities would publicly declare 200, for instance, as cut off mark but would still consider the candidate of one highly placed person who scored lower than that for admission but would deny the son of a nobody admission even when that one scored above the required mark. It was added that JAMB gave each university the free will to determine whichever cut off mark it prefers while ensuring that it does not accept anyone who scores lower than that.

The case of universities admitting those who scored below the cut off point is not new. This is not related to the exceptional cases of educationally disadvantaged areas or catchment areas. I am aware of a private university in Ogun State admitted a student who scored 150 to study Mass Communication despite publicly announcing 180 as its cut off mark. Money doeth it all, some would say. The situation is applicable in many public universities too for those who ‘know the way’. JAMB has promised to check such.

No matter how low JAMB pegs its cut off mark, universities like the University of Lagos (UNILAG) and the University of Ibadan (UI) expectedly would not lower their standard for admissions. The two schools have been particularly known for setting the pace. It would be recalled that when JAMB pegged the cut off at 180 over the decades, it was UNILAG which first insisted on 200 as its cut off mark for all courses before some of its contemporaries followed suit years later. It was also the university which first adopted the notion of taking in only those who make it their first choice dubbing it the ‘university of first choice’. The admission screening procedure used in the UI for years and was what the Federal Government instructed universities to adopt last year.

Back to the issue at hand, leaving universities to determine their cut off marks not lower than the proposed 120 marks leaves certain implications. First, it would would worsen the decay in our education system. There are likely to be more university products who cannot favorably compete with their counterparts elsewhere. What do we expect from beneficiaries of mediocrity other than being mediocre? Only the exceptional ones may make a name for themselves.

Also, the situation would put certain universities on the watch. Future employers would care about which university one graduated from, more than ever. Prior to this new development, we have had cases where graduates were being discriminated against on account of the part of the country they earned their degrees. It would just get worse since obviously there is the likelihood that most of the universities to follow the lowered standard in the cut off point would do so in consideration of the indigenes of the said part.

Equally, the notion of superiority of one university over another would be much more pronounced. You can’t compare a graduate who gained admission on the basis of higher merit with that which did on lower merit. This may seem petty but may just lead to some stereotype about certain class of students from certain sets of universities.

We should not forget that a major reason behind the ongoing strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is the call for improved standard of education. We shouldn’t expect things to get better in our education system if we continue to place low premium on academic excellence. No matter the eventual amount of funding or the extent of the provision of facilities for learning and research in our universities, the requirements of entry for prospective students still count.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/implications-lowered-jamb-cut-off-marks-education-system/

It's a zoo opinion.
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by MishdaFish: 5:59pm On Aug 24, 2017
Let waits and see those second class university that would have cut off less than 180. I am so dissapointed in the Jamb registrar for going against what he believes in. Post - Ume is just an avenue for universities to raise money. I feel bitter because some people with 120 would be admitted while those with 240 would be sent home because they have nobody to stand for them. Sad!
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by crownbayo(m): 6:53pm On Aug 24, 2017
chai! then..... where some people like me seated for jamb 7 times. isokay! soon there ll be no more jamb again.
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 24, 2017
mediocrity is praised in Nigeria.. we who complain are even guilty of it. many who comment or have commented here are also the ones who will say "after-all it is not only Nigeria that has the problem" or "stop comparing us to the US" or "it took UK 100 years" I believe GOD has cursed Nigeria and is punishment for illiteracy is slow, rotting death but hey.. we can continue complaining.. not going to change anything.. we are pressuring the UK government to return artifacts of historic value when we have removed History from the School curriculum grin grin grin
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by akigbemaru: 7:26pm On Aug 24, 2017
ewaek:
How sad! This is indeed a true testament of the decadence in our educational system. Reading no longer appeal to youths. Quick rich measures are what they would rather engage their time. One would expect our leaders to increase the benchmark as a means to checking the corruption in the universities' admission process, not this lowering of standard
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by adamsh: 7:49pm On Aug 24, 2017
RIPEnglish:
The country is ran by a fulani and other northerner illiterate so we can expected the worse to came to happened.
I'm very sure the person you're calling illiterate will never make such blunder in his grammar what a shame look unto yourself before calling another person illiterate
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by Stonepot: 8:07pm On Aug 24, 2017
01mcfadden:
You are right , man.
They do not really care about the standard of education any longer.
Thy are desperate to assuage ASUU since they know that more people would now purchase the Post UTME form and funds would be generated off the poor candidates with false hopes.

We still don't know where we are going. From 180 to 120 within just a year is stupidity and it is enough to make people see there is an asinine and ulterior motive attached to that stupid decision.

Nigerians, be wise.
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by Stonepot: 8:24pm On Aug 24, 2017
The aptitude test set by the universities should be standardised and administer by an independend body from the federal ministry of education.
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by Akainzo(m): 9:04pm On Aug 24, 2017
The writer got it all wrong!

The lowering of JAMB cut-off mark has not in any way lowered the quality or standard of education in Nigeria!

What JAMB was doing previously was announcing the cut-off mark for each course in each university, this was a totalitarian approach to things as it mad JAMB the be-all and end-all. Recall that despite this state, each university still admitted persons that did not meet the stated JAMB scores and there was nothing, absolutely NOTHING that JAM could do about it! So, what was all the fuss about?

Now, what JAMB has done is to effectively set a MINIMUM SCORE to qualify for university admission, it has not set the criteria nor cut-off mark for university admission, this power has now been transferred to the various university senates. What this implies is that a candidate that scores 120 is eligible to compete for a space in ANY NIGERIAN university of his/her choice so long as he/she meets the admission criteria of that institution. How has this contributed to lowering the standard? Does the fact that there was a mass failure lower the standard of an examination?

I can see many positive in this current policy, and I would share my thoughts.
1. JAMB can now focus on getting its examination procedures, practices and questions to the right level to test ability and knowledge. This would free it from the extra overhead of communicating and engaging with each university to determine cut-off marks, manage admissions for catchment areas, etc.

2. DECENTRALISATION: With the universities now able to carry out their own Post-UTME examinations it devolves admission criteria and policies to the universities. This way, each university is able to determine the total number of students it can cater for and provide quality education to them. This also means, each university can set its own standard through how tasking its Post-UTME exam is. If one applies to RSUST, he /she should not expect the same examination level as one who applies for the same course at UI. This would ultimately lead to universities being differentiated and promote competition amongst them for the best brains in the country to attend their institution.

3. CANDIDATES ARE IN CONTROL: With this arrangement, any candidate that scores the requisite minimum is a bride for all the universities as he/she can choose to attend the university of choice. A candidate can decide to focus all the preparations to pass a particular university's test or spread tentacles far and wide as this has removed the hitherto limit of 3 choices for university admission.

4. FUNDING: Without saying it, the biggest problem facing the university system in Nigeria is funding. ASUU is presently on strike due to funding issues. The universities being able to access funds through a large pool of candidates now opens up for them a source of funds. This implies, the more transparent and quality driven the university is, the more candidates would sit for their Post-UTME and the more funds they have to improve their institution. And of course, the converse would be true, if you do not raise your standard and make your certificate worth it, less students would come for your Post-UTME and the institution would lose. The attendant effect is that individuals and corporate entities are now going to be attracted to endow chairs with universities that promote quality through differentiation.

5. NON-UNIONISED ASUU: The ongoing strike has crippled the Nigerian universities in one fell swoop. We probably are the only country that aa the entire academia can go on strike at the same time. Once each school starts to take its own destiny in its hand, remuneration would become differentiated and a situation where strikes by UNILAG staff would affect UNIPORT would be gone for good.

Therefore if this policy is implemented and followed through, there is light at the end of the tunnel for us.
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by Walelavender(m): 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2017
Definitely not a great one, but it won't lower the standard in real sense. Universities have standard for appraising students. The grading system available won't allow students without the requisite ability to graduate, even after taken them with the '120' cut-off. If they don't meet up with the minimum required CGPA,they get rusticated.

I don't think we need to worry about this. Government and multi-nationals should do more in putting reasonable funds into education and do a thorough follow-up in ensuring the funds are used judiciously.
Corruption cases going on in our Ivory towers are nothing to write home about
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by whizzyleejr(m): 12:25am On Aug 25, 2017
Funniest joke ever is the new jamb cuc-off mark...education is not meant for all, dangote, bill gates, zuck, messi, cr7 are they graduates
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by NseobongEkanem(f): 7:49am On Aug 25, 2017
I think our problem is not lowering our jamb score, so after lowering the jamb score, how about the unemployed youths? The trend of unemployment will still be moving....its not about making opportunity for everyone to be in school, after school what next? Emh undecided
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by authority2006(m): 7:59am On Aug 25, 2017
01mcfadden:
You are right , man.
They do not really care about the standard of education any longer.
Thy are desperate to assuage ASUU since they know that more people would now purchase the Post UTME form and funds would be generated off the poor candidates with false hopes.

We still don't know where we are going. From 180 to 120 within just a year is stupidity and it is enough to make people see there is an asinine and ulterior motive attached to that stupid decision.

Nigerians, be wise.
However, the Vice-Chancellor of theChristopher University, Ogun State, Prof. Friday Ndubuisi, said the new admission benchmark would have no negative implication on the quality of education.He said, “This is not an imposition. The cut-off mark is a minimum benchmark for admission. This idea of taking the UTME every year without getting admission is worrying. About 1.6 million candidates sat for the examination this year and about 500,000 will be admitted mostly because of the cut-off mark. Most universities will not go below 200, but with five credits obtained in two sittings, a person should be qualified for admission. This is, however, not animposition. Universities still get to decide on whom to admit through the post-UTME.’’
Re: The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System by authority2006(m): 8:20am On Aug 25, 2017
Let's stop deceiving ourselves about northerners this, northerners that. When I was seeking admission into the OAU with 265 UTME score to study pharmacy some years back, I couldn't get admission because the cut was set at 270 by the OAU Senate while the cutoff mark for medicine and surgery was set at 280. Did you know that my former classmate in the secondary school in Osogbo was given admission into the OAU same year to study medicine and surgery with UTME score of 230? And we're both yoruba! My point is this: what is the essence of setting high cut off marks for various courses only to be taking candidates with low UTME scores but who have connections or money through the backdoor just to put other hardworking students at disadvantage? This personal experience that I just shared is a common knowledge to all. It's nothing new and it's not going to stop. I'm a brilliant student during my days, but why would I continue to support practices that unjustly put me at disadvantage? Let everyone be given equal chance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? / Nigerian Students Sue Alabama College For Treating Them ‘like Animals’ / FG Releases N16.8bn To Settle Tertiary Institutions Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.