Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,758 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Black Clergy, Where Are You?! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Black Clergy, Where Are You?! (867 Views)

The Clergy Project: Godless Pastors / Ogboni Clergy:What Is The Relationship Between Christendom And Confraternity / Adeboye Asks For Inclusion Of Clergy In Mid-east Peace Talks At US Congress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Clergy, Where Are You?! by Akebulan: 9:40am On Feb 20, 2010
Black clergy: Where are you?

Warning. This column will make some folks mad. If you read further, you must also know I don’t care whether it makes some people mad or not. To use an oft too-used phrase: It is what it is. Call me if you like, but remember, a hit dog hollers.

Late last year, I went on a tear about the Bibb County school system. I’m not off that soap box, yet, I’m just beginning. However, there is enough malaise in Bibb County to choke an ox, and much of that is coming from the black church.

A visiting pastor from Minneapolis, Jerry McAfee, came to our city last July, brought here by the Rev, Ronald Terry to meet with his fellow reverends about how to address crime, which, at the time, seemed to be rampant. One council member, James Timley, suggested bringing in the National Guard.

After meeting with the area’s black ministers, he told me with resignation that all would come to naught. He said, “They don’t want to get their hands dirty. They are full of talk, just talk.”

There was a reason Jesus never had a physical church, and there are reasons now that pastors have to break down the four walls of their churches and blanket their neighborhoods with a message of hope. And they have to engage in this ministry without any expectation that they will break even financially. It’s hard work, and the only return on the investment will be in the number of lives changed. But isn’t that their business, saving souls and changing lives?

I’m always reminded that after pointing out problems, I must point to solutions. Here’s what the black church can do. What we are seeing in the black community — crime, early childbirth, under-education — is our problem. Certainly, we would accept any help from others, but this is a black thang. The issues our community face today are our issues. To use a phrase that was a positive as a pejorative: It’s a black thang, you wouldn’t understand.”

It is a black thang. How could white people come to understand why our young black males are listless and prone to violence and mayhem? How can we expect white people to understand when we don’t understand?

Not understanding is OK, however, many of our churches aren’t trying to understand. Many are fine congregating with their own congregants in their rarely used family life centers.

There are more white churches reaching out to our community than black churches. Stop right here. They don’t have to do what they are doing. They could simply hide behind the gates of their communities, but they feel the tug of Christ. Granted, there are some white churches that haven’t been tugged past integration yet. But many busy themselves feeding and clothing the hungry. They spend their own money to make sure black children, mostly, have a place to go when school ends. Where are you, black clergy?

I don’t mean to paint all with the same brush. There are churches, black ones, that are answering the call, but there are many who haven’t seen a call beyond their own church coffers.

How many after-school programs has the black church started and sustained? How many children are being led to Christ through the missions of the church?

I challenge every black church to take on two missions. First, open the doors of your churches to the neighborhood. An invitation isn’t enough; members will have to canvas the neighborhoods, maybe more than once, and invite those unchurched to attend. Do they need transportation? Provide it. Do they have kids? Bring ’em. Do they have other needs? Fill ’em.

This will not be easy or instantly rewarding. It may take decades before a change is noticed. But the black clergy’s habit of burying its head in the sand has failed miserably. It’s time to do more than talk the talk. It’s time to start walking the walk.

If you are running programs to draw youth to your church, let me know. I’m going to continue naming names of those churches that are following Christ by feeding his sheep, both physically and emotionally.

Charles E. Richardson is the Telegraph’s editorial page editor. He can be reached at (478) 744-4342 or via e-mail at crichardson@macon.com.
Re: Black Clergy, Where Are You?! by afiq(m): 11:54am On Feb 20, 2010
The best thread so far on NL. Brilliant!
Re: Black Clergy, Where Are You?! by Akebulan: 5:31pm On Feb 20, 2010
@ Afiq. Thank you. I thought it was brilliant too, when I read it.

It is a challenge to every religious (and spiritual) person who reads this, to break free of the confining comforts that the four walls of their sanctuaries provide, and reach out to the real people who matters. Pay your tithes to God. Pay your tithes to the God in the people who really need it. Help those in need. Accumulation of wealth should not be our goals. If you accumulate it, surely, you must be depriving another from it.

Black people are often times the ones who are lower on the socioeconomic scale. This shouldnt be. Historically, we've been dedicated (sometimes against our wills but thats another thread), hardworking and reliable people. History DOES repeat itself. Let the houses that supposedly house God's promises and love, break free of their walls and spread the love to the people who truly matters. They will not be able to pay the tithes that wealthier people can but they can provide gratitude, love and the changes we need. Let our black churches, mosques, our clergymen and women, lift the people up!
Re: Black Clergy, Where Are You?! by afiq(m): 2:30am On Feb 21, 2010
It is easy to quote the Bible here and there, the question is what have we done for the church as God's children? Heaven is for those who's doing good deeds to others regardles of their origin and skin color. Most of us are being too comfy in our comfort zone, reluctant to worship with other races or reaching out to them. It isnt about the black thang, it is the ignorance and arrogance which makes us building the walls within the walls. We better ask ourselves where do we put Christ and his teachings?
Re: Black Clergy, Where Are You?! by Akebulan: 3:24am On Feb 21, 2010
afiq:

It is easy to quote the Bible here and there, the question is what have we done for the church as God's children?
I dont know, pay tithes and attend church? undecided I dont go to church but I figure that is what people who do, do.
afiq:
Heaven is for those who's doing good deeds to others regardles of their origin and skin color. Most of us are being too comfy in our comfort zone, reluctant to worship with other races or reaching out to them. It isnt about the black thang, it is the ignorance and arrogance which makes us building the walls within the walls. We better ask ourselves where do we put Christ and his teachings?
I agree with the author of the article though, you're far less likely to see a black church providing humanitarian services to their people, than you are to see other races, yet we're the ones likely to need those services. About your last question: apparently, not where we should because from what I understand of Christ, hes the type to care for the less fortunate, not necessarily the already "saved" people that are able to make it to church in flashy cars.

It'd be nice to see more churches investing in the people within their communities. I know of very few. Besides, if the church's goal truly is to save souls, then their best bet would be to attract these people, to get out there and do their preaching by modeling virtuous behaviors. They'll get more souls that way.
Re: Black Clergy, Where Are You?! by afiq(m): 8:08pm On Feb 21, 2010
As Christian we ought to try our best to attend church service on regular basis. Remember, the church is the people, without us the church is just a building. We can only reach out to others when we are in the crowd, thats why we need to come together in worship/fellowship. Tithing is not obligatory, but optional. Beware of those 'prosperity' preachers, whenever you see or hear one, run! We can contribute our talent, time and expertise. We are 'saved' when we fed, clothed and sheltered the needy.

(1) (Reply)

Gospel Music- Sacrifice Of Praise & Jesus U're Everything To Me / Eldership - God's Call On Christian Elders / Get Your Brain " Washed"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.