Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,624 members, 7,827,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates (17375 Views)

Black Smoke From Exhaust. / Mclaren ₦792m Prototype Hypercar Burst Into Cloud Of Smoke At UK Petrol Station / Drunk Teen Got Her Head Stuck In Truck Exhaust Pipe For 45 Mins In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by obafemee80(m): 3:00am On Aug 27, 2017
[img]http:///a/img923/2032/Zyw3KG.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img923/6195/hmYLRV.jpg[/img]

As a car owner you expect something to come from the exhaust pipe.This is an emissions outlet for your vehicle,and so vapors will exit from there.Some of the small emissions are harmless and nothing to worry about.
Steam is normal,and may appear as a white smoke on a cold morning due to condensation.But there are other types of smoke that can be signals of trouble from inside the car.

Before the 1970’s,thick black smoke coming from a vehicles exhaustpipe was a good sign the vehicle was running fine.But now,that type of smoke is usually not a good thing.Automakers cleaned up their act and made sure that vehicles did not spew out this horrible stuff.
Usually,when you see the smoke clouds,it means something is very wrong with the vehicle.However,you might not know what it is or what it means.

Here are some tips and ideas if you see smoke.

Blue/Gray Smoke:
Blue/gray exhaust smoke is an indication of oil burning in the combustion chamber. These are possible symptoms and causes:
Valve Seals: Leaking valve seals will cause blue/gray exhaust smoke.

Valve Guides: Excessive clearance between the valve stem and the valve guide allows oil to leak past the gap into the cylinder.

Piston Rings: Worn or damaged piston rings will cause blow-by, resulting in blue/gray smoke.

Worn Cylinder Walls: Worn cylinder walls cause blow-by, resulting in blue/gray smoke.
PCV System: A stuck closed PCV valve causes excessive crankcase pressure, resulting in blue/gray smoke.
For a turbocharged car,the smoke is a sign that the blower is in need of replacement.Burning oil can cause rough starts due to the fact that it can ruin a car’s spark plugs.

Black Smoke
It’s as dangerous as it looks.Black exhaust smoke is an indication of a rich fuel condition. These are possible causes:
Fuel Injectors: A leaking or dripping fuel injector will cause a rich fuel condition.

Fuel Pressure Regulator: A stuck closed fuel pressure regulator will cause a rich fuel condition.

Fuel Return: A restricted fuel return line will cause a rich fuel condition.

White/Gray Smoke:
White exhaust smoke is an indication that coolant is burning in the combustion chamber. These are possible causes:
Cylinder Head: A crack in the cylinder head (around the coolant jacket) will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber.

Engine Block: A crack in the deck of an engine block near the coolant jacket will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber.

Head Gasket: A damaged or blown head gasket will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber resulting in white/gray smoke coming from the tailpipe.
If you happen to see a White/Gray Smoke,take your car to the mechanic as soon as possible as the leaking coolant can lead to overheating which could cause damage to your engine.

A perfectly tuned car should have colorless emission,if you see it emitting smoke in the colors highlighted above,book a date with your mechanic asap.

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/exhaust-color.html

https://autojosh.com/types-of-smoke-from-your-car-exhaustpipe-and-what-it-indicates/

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by Dottore: 3:59am On Aug 27, 2017
Well done on. Does this apply to Diesel powered vehicles as well

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by purityval(m): 4:20am On Aug 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up man.

Will keep this in mind pending when I .........
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:33am On Aug 27, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by gateleo(m): 7:04am On Aug 27, 2017
Okay....
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by MzHolly(f): 8:42am On Aug 27, 2017
Some car exhaust worst pass Hiroshima atomic bomb

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by sunnysunny69(m): 8:42am On Aug 27, 2017

So what would the diagnosis be for this kind of smoke then ?

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by sleeknick: 8:42am On Aug 27, 2017
Ok...
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by yinkeys(m): 8:44am On Aug 27, 2017
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by lonelydora: 8:45am On Aug 27, 2017
What about diesel engines? Trucks and heavy duty vehicles?

I keep topping oil every 2 days in my truck, and it emits a little blueish smoke only when on Gear 4 and above on the highway. What could be the cause?
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by Franco93: 8:45am On Aug 27, 2017
That black smoke is a sign of excessive fuel consumption.

At normal condition of my car, I spend average of #5,000 for fuel per-week, when this same car started bringing out black and very hot smoke, I spend like #20,000 buying fuel that week. No be person tell me to go mechanic workshop sharp sharp.
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by Horleey: 8:45am On Aug 27, 2017
I will bear on mind till I buy my own car.....

1 Like

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by wunmi590(m): 8:46am On Aug 27, 2017
Today is my birthday nairalander, please some likes for me, to celebrate me.

Thanks

19 Likes

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by MurderEnglish(m): 8:47am On Aug 27, 2017
chijioke19946:
talk of winning and making money call or whatsapp me with the number in the picture below.....

haved you won money before and it is big like that?

If you haved, continue won many many money and stopped to give expo to pipo unless the expo is not correct and you want to do way to pipo.

3 Likes

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by Odogwuskido(m): 8:51am On Aug 27, 2017
You are very right about black smoke.... I experienced it recently. Thanks for the info
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 27, 2017
chijioke19946:
talk of winning and making money call or whatsapp me with the number in the picture below.....
My brother, what are you doing with ordinary 5000 naira when u won 150,000 naira yesterday?? Check am naa. You sound so fraudulent.

3 Likes

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by bobnatlo(m): 8:53am On Aug 27, 2017
sunnysunny69:

So what would the diagnosis be for this kind of smoke then ?

Oboi abeg no kill person with laughter this monin

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by lightblazingnow(m): 8:53am On Aug 27, 2017
Thanks so much Sir
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by uboma(m): 9:06am On Aug 27, 2017
why do vehicles smoke for a while after a heavy rainfall?

1 Like

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by snaiper: 9:14am On Aug 27, 2017
All my cars smoke at startup or after a drop in temperature..''Oga!its nothing to worry about,it shows the engine is sound''were d words of Fitter Nketia..Nketia is a renowned fitter here in Ghana.
uboma:
why do vehicles smoke for a while after a heavy rainfall?
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by uboma(m): 9:19am On Aug 27, 2017
snaiper:
All my cars smoke at startup or after a drop in temperature..''Oga!its nothing to worry about,it shows the engine is sound''were d words of Fitter Nketia..Nketia is a renowned fitter here in Ghana.

mine only smokes for a while after a drop in temperature as a result of the rains.
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by musa7m(m): 9:32am On Aug 27, 2017
lonelydora:
What about diesel engines? Trucks and heavy duty vehicles?

I keep topping oil every 2 days in my truck, and it emits a little blueish smoke only when on Gear 4 and above on the highway. What could be the cause?
nna from wic state to wic state? Trucks on Gear 4 and above on Nigerian road.... Na wa to you oo

Don't mention my name if you or your father never drive truck for more than 20 years
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by lonelydora: 9:36am On Aug 27, 2017
musa7m:
nna from wic state to wic state? Trucks on Gear 4 and above on Nigerian road.... Na wa to you oo

Don't mention my name if you or your father never drive truck for more than 20 years

Truck is a general word not limited to what you call Trailer.
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by musa7m(m): 9:39am On Aug 27, 2017
MurderEnglish:

haved you won money before and it is big like that?

If you haved, continue won many many money and stopped to give expo to pipo unless the expo is not correct and you want to do way to pipo.
wr you tnk say you don see am fnsh another one go just pop up

Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by musa7m(m): 9:48am On Aug 27, 2017
lonelydora:

Truck is a general word not limited to what you call Trailer.
he own truck na F-150.....on wic road he dey drive Gear 4 and above in this country.....like I said dnt mention/ quote me if you/father never drive truck/trailer for more than 20 years
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by lonelydora: 9:49am On Aug 27, 2017
musa7m:
he own truck na F-150.....on wic road he dey drive Gear 4 and above in this country.....like I said dnt mention/ quote me if you/father never drive truck/trailer for more than 20 years

Which city do you stay? Before you quote me, make sure you know Nigerian roads.
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by musa7m(m): 9:58am On Aug 27, 2017
lonelydora:

Which city do you stay? Before you quote me, make sure you know Nigerian roads.
from kano to aba....from aba to jos....at times kano to lagos...I no dey pass Gear 3 or 4 on 911 trailer......by the way are you are a driver
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by lonelydora: 10:40am On Aug 27, 2017
musa7m:
from kano to aba....from aba to jos....at times kano to lagos...I no dey pass Gear 3 or 4 on 911 trailer......by the way are you are a driver

How many tonnage is your truck?
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by mostyg(m): 11:01am On Aug 27, 2017
Following
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by moscobabs(m): 11:13am On Aug 27, 2017
Smoke coming out of my car engine for like 5mins and stop , I thought my engine oil or other oil is leaking but never saw anywhere the oil is leaking.

What could have happened op?
Re: Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates by EdoBoy90(m): 11:51am On Aug 27, 2017
Engine smoke

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vespa Re-Brands, Redesigns Its Sei Giorni Scooter / China’s Car Brand, Aiways U5 All Electric SUV Is Set To Debut In Europe / How Much Is Car Papers Renewal In Your State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.