Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,939 members, 7,835,129 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex (41572 Views)

Ask Your Questions About Christianity And Scriptures Here. / Was Celsus Right About Christianity? / My Top 10 Quotes About Christianity!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by 1metre: 4:02pm On Aug 27, 2017
David and his son Solomon were the most promiscuous people on earth still God blessed them beyond our imagination.

1 Like

Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by fof1: 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2017
NaijaNewsPapers:

Growing up in a conservative Christian church, I was taught that the gospel was one, complete, and indestructible whole — particularly as it applied to human sexuality. But it’s not that simple.

The idea that is still taught in some churches today is that the Christian sexual ethic came to earth fully formed, straight from heaven, about 2,000 years ago. Throughout all that time, there was exactly one way for Christians to express their sexuality — by staying abstinent until they got married to a person of the opposite gender. And then, you could have at it all you wanted.

But what I wasn’t taught in Sunday School is that the Bible’s teachings on sex have been interpreted in many different ways. I didn’t know that the early Christians actually started practicing celibacy because they were convinced the end of the world was near. No one told me that marriage wasn’t always defined and controlled by the church. And that even within marriage, sex wasn’t always something that Christians were taught to enjoy and cherish.

And the truth is that the standards on what it means to be a sexual person and live a Christian life have changed.

Here are 4 facts to prove it.

1. For the first 1,000 years of Christianity (that’s at least HALF of its existence, people), many Christians wouldn’t have considered getting married in a church.

Marriages in the West were originally just economic alliances made between two families, with both the church and the state staying out of the proceedings. This meant that weddings didn’t require the presence of a priest.

The church got involved in regulating marriage much later on, as its influence began to increase in Western Europe. It wasn’t until 1215 that the Church formally put a claim on marriage and hashed out rules about what made children legitimate.

2. To be a truly devoted Christian during the earliest days of the church, you needed to stop having sex altogether.

Early Christians’ belief that Jesus’ second coming was imminent created an environment that exalted celibacy over marriage. It was a radical departure from Jewish teachings that the disciples would have been familiar with. But it makes sense — what was the point of getting tied up with worldly responsibilities, like taking care of a spouse, children and a household, when the end of the world was near?

St. Paul, a celibate Christian leader who wrote most of the New Testament, thought of practicing celibacy as taking the higher road towards God, since it allows Christians to concentrate wholly on things of the spirit.

The second coming didn’t happen, but the emphasis on celibacy stayed. Couples in the second century were expected to stop having sex altogether after producing several children.

3. The Church developed some rules about sex that would seem strange.

In medieval times, the church became deeply involved with controlling people’s sex lives. Virginity and monogamy were still prized, while homosexuality could be punished by death. The church also had very specific requirements for what type of sex married couples could have. Since all sex was supposed to be for the purposes of procreation, certain positions were banned (no sex standing up, the woman shouldn’t be on top, no doggy style, oral, anal, or masturbation). And then there were restrictions on what days of the week people could have sex (not on fast days, or feast days for a saint, or on Sundays, for example).

Sex was also discouraged when a woman was menstruating, pregnant, or breastfeeding, (which considering there was no birth control, could have been a good deal of the time). All of these prohibitions meant that on average, sex between married couples was only legal about once per week, if that.

4. Jesus had very little to say about sex.
Other than a some heavy admonishments against lust and against divorce, the Jesus of the Bible didn’t have a lot to say about issues of sexuality. (My guess is that he was too busy hanging out with the poor and healing the sick to care. Just a guess). He also had nothing at all to say about homosexuality or sexual identity as we understand it today.

Most of the instruction about sex comes from Christian leaders who started spreading the religion after Jesus’ death.

http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2017/08/4-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about.html

[img]https://4.bp..com/-74ZK0uo5Vv0/WaJnDvxMMEI/AAAAAAAAFQ0/e1VEYcdDD2Mej9DPIGoZ3Gh6OAsv69DOwCLcBGAs/s640/sex.jpeg[/img]

PLS U ARE COMPLETELY WRONG,VERY WRONG INDEED BUT TRUE THAT,THE CHURCH GOT INVOLVED MUCH LATER. PLS KNOW SEXUALITY AND MARRIAGE HAD BEEN FROM CREATION EVEN BEFORE CHRIST BIRTH. MOST OF D RULES HV BN MADE,ISSUED OR KNOWN TO MAN AND SPECIFICALLY D JEWS AS D MORAL LAWS WERE CLEARLY LAID OUT BY MOSES, SO D BOUNDARIES WAS KNOWN.
1. THE BIBLE'S TEACHINGS ON SEXUALITY FROM D EARLIEST TIMES WAS VERY CLEAR,SO JESUS CHRIST ONLY GAVE CLARIFICATIONS WHERE SOME PHARISEE DOUBTS EXISTED.
2. HOMOXUALITY & ALL OTHER FORMS OF SEX OTHER THAN HUMAN WAS AN UNGODLY ACTS CLEARLY TAUGHT IN D SCRIPTURES.
3.U SEEM NOT TO KNOW UR BIBLE THAT, TEACHES U MORALITY AND PLAIN GODLY PRATICE ON SEXILUALITY : CHECK OUT WHAT IT SAYS ON, NO SEX DURING MENSURATION,FASTING COMMITMENTS,ETC.
4. ITS NOT TRUE FROM D BIBLE THAT EMPHASIS ON CELIBACY WAS HIGHEST. PETER D VERY FIRST APOSTLE WAS REVEALED AS A MARRIED MAN WITH FAMILY. PAUL'S STRESS MUST NOT BE MISCONSTRUED,HE GAVE A VERY BALANCE TEACHINGS ON MARRIAGE AND FAMILY.
5. SODOMY AND ITS DERIVATIVES WERE FORBIDDEN AND EVEN TODAY ITS AN IMMORTALITY TO D CORE.
PLS STUDY UR BIBLE TO SHOW URSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD AND MAN, RIGHTLY DIVIDING D WORD OF GOD PROPERLY. WITHOUR MODERN DAY ERRORS AND BLASPHEMY.
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by lebron7(m): 4:42pm On Aug 27, 2017
Other than a some heavy admonishments against lust and against divorce, the Jesus of the Bible didn’t have a lot to say about issues of sexuality. (My guess is that he was too busy hanging out with the poor and healing the sick to care. Just a guess). He also had nothing at all to say about homosexuality or sexual identity as we understand it today.

Most of the instruction about sex comes from Christian leaders who started spreading the religion after Jesus’ death.

http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2017/08/4-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about.html

[img]https://4.bp..com/-74ZK0uo5Vv0/WaJnDvxMMEI/AAAAAAAAFQ0/e1VEYcdDD2Mej9DPIGoZ3Gh6OAsv69DOwCLcBGAs/s640/sex.jpeg[/img][/quote]
Its people like u that say homosexuality is good, if u read d bible u will c DAT one of the main reasons God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah was because of homosexuality
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by maxdosh(m): 5:16pm On Aug 27, 2017
swiz123:
The basic reason for sex should be to procreate. All other reasons are secondary and to some extent not religious. There was a man in the Bible tho I've forgotten his name, he had sex with his brother's widow and poured his semen on the floor.God killed him. That should be enough reason to show that sex shouldn't be all about fun.

The reason he was killed was because the initial reason GOD permitted him to sleep with his late brother's wife was to procreate in his stead but the man was selfish and instead would pour the semen on the ground.

I strongly believe if he impregnated the widow and later did whatever he wanted He would not receive that punishment
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by destiny4life: 5:22pm On Aug 27, 2017
Sexual immorality is a sin and the Bible clearly stated it. Leviticus 18, Romans 1:25-32, 1corithians6:15-20 e.t.c
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by princy80(m): 6:17pm On Aug 27, 2017
swiz123:
The basic reason for sex should be to procreate. All other reasons are secondary and to some extent not religious. There was a man in the Bible tho I've forgotten his name, he had sex with his brother's widow and poured his semen on the floor.God killed him. That should be enough reason to show that sex shouldn't be all about fun.
don't get things wrong. He was punished because he refused to give his dead brother an heir as the law stipulated.
Genesis 38:8-10New International Version (NIV)

8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Sleep with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.

1 Like

Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by princy80(m): 6:19pm On Aug 27, 2017
gentlegenius:
@ princeSammyz...
Sin either comes from doing something bad against a fellow man or disobeying God's law. Mutual sex between two unmarried partners is a sin because the two parties are disobeying God.
Sex was meant to be enjoyed only in marriage that is why God made certain laws to control man's sexual behavior outside marriage. The first law was that Anyone caught committing adultery(sleeping with any person's spouse with mutual agreement and enjoyment) should both be stoned to death.
The 2nd law was that Any man caught sleeping with a woman forcefully(rape) should be stoned to death.
The 3rd law law that really concern singles is was that when 2 unmarried people are caught having sex(fornication), the man involved should be forced to pay the girls bride Price and marry her without any option of divorce in future... See Deutronomy 22.
These laws showed that God designed sex to be officially enjoyed within the bounds of marriage. So disobeying God is what makes the act a sin.
Good points but do you know it is a sin to eat crayfish following Old Testament laws?
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by gentlegenius(m): 7:34pm On Aug 27, 2017
princy80:

Good points but do you know it is a sin to eat crayfish following Old Testament laws?
So what was the punishment for those who eat crayfish? Did he Bible said that Any man who broke such law should be killed? Did the new testament not say that everything God created is good for consumption? Did the new testament say anywhere that fornication or adultery is a good practice?
The new testament gives us the freedom to do away with certain OT laws like eating and drinking but that doesn't include illicit sex.
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by piagetskinner(m): 7:37pm On Aug 27, 2017
For me Im trying to put off the concept of sex till I get married
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by joe4christ(m): 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
princeSammyz:
And I keep wondering what even made sex outside marriage a sin... Every other sin seem to be some kind of harm against a neighbor or against God, but sex, mutual pleasure for two consenting adults... I keep wondering

You still wonder why there is so much hypocrisy among the so called believers. They try to adhere to instructions from their "holy books" that is nearly impossible to keep, like trying to be celibate which is actually against human nature, they try hard to be but their body keeps failing them, only the very very few "lucky" ones who naturally are born with low sexual drive or sexual related psychological problems tend to scale through and eventually become judgee on those with average or relatively high sexual drive who could not keep up.

I've long come to realise that to be religious is to be an hypocrite. That's just the truth. You can take a closer look around you for confirmation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by Ironlion1(m): 7:49pm On Aug 27, 2017
dapyd1:
The marriages in the bible were traditional. The wedding at Cana was traditional. The old testament wedding g were traditional. The weddings in the new testament are traditional. Church weddings came in, as you said, less than 1000 years ago.

The other day I was saying that lady that got pregnant after traditional wedding and before church wedding was certified to. People came for me here on nairaland. The church refused to do wedding for her. Why?

Bible says, therefore, a man shall leave his father and mother. Which part of the wedding ceremonies do the parents permit you to leave and follow your spouse, TRADITIONAL.

The blessings Bible regards for marriage is your parents, not the priest. Church weddings is just an addition.

But then, people don't study the word with an open heart. We have carried doctrines above and beyond. Our hearts are rigid. Anyone that doesn't agree with us is saying nonsense.

As for me, I'll likely do church wedding because of my wife. But I'll recognise the traditional and court. And I can have sex after them. I believe God's hand is on the marriage already.

As far as I'm concerned also, any sexual act between couples is allowed. If me and my wife like, she can handcuff me to the bed.
Guy? U no go kil person oooh!!! Handcuffs for sex? Na military sex?

2 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by Ironlion1(m): 7:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
swiz123:

Erroneous assumptions.
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by princy80(m): 9:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
gentlegenius:

So what was the punishment for those who eat crayfish? Did he Bible said that Any man who broke such law should be killed? Did the new testament not say that everything God created is good for consumption? Did the new testament say anywhere that fornication or adultery is a good practice?
The new testament gives us the freedom to do away with certain OT laws like eating and drinking but that doesn't include illicit sex.
Where does your Bible tell you that it does away with rules on eating and drinking? GIVE PROOF OF QUOTATIONS

BTW
lev. 11:9 “‘Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams you may eat any that have fins and scales. 10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean. 11 And since you are to regard them as unclean, you must not eat their meat; you must regard their carcasses as unclean. 12 Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be regarded as unclean by you.
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by gentlegenius(m): 7:28am On Aug 28, 2017
princy80:

Where does your Bible tell you that it does away with rules on eating and drinking? GIVE PROOF OF QUOTATIONS

BTW
lev. 11:9 “‘Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams you may eat any that have fins and scales. 10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean. 11 And since you are to regard them as unclean, you must not eat their meat; you must regard their carcasses as unclean. 12 Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be regarded as unclean by you.
I can see you are not too familiar with your Bible...
Pls read 1 Timothy 4:3-4.
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by pen2(m): 9:41am On Aug 29, 2017
princeSammyz:
And I keep wondering what even made sex outside marriage a sin... Every other sin seem to be some kind of harm against a neighbor or against God, but sex, mutual pleasure for two consenting adults... I keep wondering

Imagine what it would be like if everyone could sleep with every other person @ will. Some men will prefer to sleep with other people' wives, how will a man feel when one impregnates his teenage daughter in SS1,incest won't even be be be deal, diseases will spread, stds, there'll be so much pain and hurt. We may not realise it yet but marriage goes a long way to check many of these excesses.
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2017
youngerikina40:

U made me check ur dp, d guy on ur dp tho grin grin

Aspirant grin

He be wrestler
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 31, 2017
NaijaNewsPapers:

Growing up in a conservative Christian church, I was taught that the gospel was one, complete, and indestructible whole — particularly as it applied to human sexuality. But it’s not that simple.

The idea that is still taught in some churches today is that the Christian sexual ethic came to earth fully formed, straight from heaven, about 2,000 years ago. Throughout all that time, there was exactly one way for Christians to express their sexuality — by staying abstinent until they got married to a person of the opposite gender. And then, you could have at it all you wanted.

But what I wasn’t taught in Sunday School is that the Bible’s teachings on sex have been interpreted in many different ways. I didn’t know that the early Christians actually started practicing celibacy because they were convinced the end of the world was near. No one told me that marriage wasn’t always defined and controlled by the church. And that even within marriage, sex wasn’t always something that Christians were taught to enjoy and cherish.

And the truth is that the standards on what it means to be a sexual person and live a Christian life have changed.

Here are 4 facts to prove it.

1. For the first 1,000 years of Christianity (that’s at least HALF of its existence, people), many Christians wouldn’t have considered getting married in a church.

Marriages in the West were originally just economic alliances made between two families, with both the church and the state staying out of the proceedings. This meant that weddings didn’t require the presence of a priest.

The church got involved in regulating marriage much later on, as its influence began to increase in Western Europe. It wasn’t until 1215 that the Church formally put a claim on marriage and hashed out rules about what made children legitimate.

2. To be a truly devoted Christian during the earliest days of the church, you needed to stop having sex altogether.

Early Christians’ belief that Jesus’ second coming was imminent created an environment that exalted celibacy over marriage. It was a radical departure from Jewish teachings that the disciples would have been familiar with. But it makes sense — what was the point of getting tied up with worldly responsibilities, like taking care of a spouse, children and a household, when the end of the world was near?

St. Paul, a celibate Christian leader who wrote most of the New Testament, thought of practicing celibacy as taking the higher road towards God, since it allows Christians to concentrate wholly on things of the spirit.

The second coming didn’t happen, but the emphasis on celibacy stayed. Couples in the second century were expected to stop having sex altogether after producing several children.

3. The Church developed some rules about sex that would seem strange.

In medieval times, the church became deeply involved with controlling people’s sex lives. Virginity and monogamy were still prized, while homosexuality could be punished by death. The church also had very specific requirements for what type of sex married couples could have. Since all sex was supposed to be for the purposes of procreation, certain positions were banned (no sex standing up, the woman shouldn’t be on top, no doggy style, oral, anal, or masturbation). And then there were restrictions on what days of the week people could have sex (not on fast days, or feast days for a saint, or on Sundays, for example).

Sex was also discouraged when a woman was menstruating, pregnant, or breastfeeding, (which considering there was no birth control, could have been a good deal of the time). All of these prohibitions meant that on average, sex between married couples was only legal about once per week, if that.

[img]https://4.bp..com/-74ZK0uo5Vv0/WaJnDvxMMEI/AAAAAAAAFQ0/e1VEYcdDD2Mej9DPIGoZ3Gh6OAsv69DOwCLcBGAs/s640/sex.jpeg[/img]

God punish you for your twisted script. Your facts from the devil will never erase the truth that marriage was sacred and conducted by the levis in early isreal and still a sacred arrangement involving certain ceremonies way before the levis were formed by Moses by the instruction of God almighty. Even Adam and Eve were blessed by God into their union. Even Mary and Joseph were wedded in a typical jewish weddig ceremony. Your story is so crooked becuse you are someone who had bleeped his way through life and wants to justify his worthlessness instead of repenting and and settling down. Ask your ignorant self deceiving self what made God flood the earth and burned Sodom and Gomorrah, and even destroyed the surrounding nations/cities around Isreal aside cause of their idols. Stay there and be trying to fight God, you #BlasphemousIdiot! #BurnInHell

Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by sonmvayina(m): 12:57pm On Aug 31, 2017
I would rather obey and follow my heart than follow a God who impregnated another man's wife...

So,i am going to pass on this one.
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by sonmvayina(m): 1:00pm On Aug 31, 2017
If people actually know and understand what God is and also what the old testament teaches...they will realise that the new testament is BS.
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by sonmvayina(m): 1:09pm On Aug 31, 2017
Much of those stories that they are interpreting as literal are allegorical.....we are supposed to read the stories and learn the hidden message..

God is not a MAN.....therefore the word of God always comes out from the mouth of men..most times,men gives it in firm of parables..those that watch nollywood movies can attest to this...

The Bible is a spiritual manual not a history textbook..for you to understand spiritual language you need to understand the symbolism and numerology of the jews..only them know what a talking snake,a talking donkey, 700 wives,300 concubines means...like I said earlier nobody on this forum knows....
Re: 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex by IdeyFindWife: 5:18pm On Sep 01, 2017
komekn:

If you want to make deductions about Christianity it is much more credible to make reference to Biblical scripture otherwise. You are making self led and self derived opinionated observations.

But do you realize that while Jesus faulted the Pharisees for teaching "traditions of men" as "doctrines" and also telling them that they "rightly erred for they knew not the scriptures and neither the power of God"; the current church, including the Pentecostal, Evangelical, Revivalist etc movements, have failed to rightly identify the source of most of the non-Word-Based teachings, doctrines and heresies they so readily hand down as sacrosanct even in their Bible colleges.

Generation after generation of Pentecostal ministers absorb and re-transmit these practices to their congregations without wondering where they came from while, if we really wanted to be really finicky about being transparently white on these issues, we would have gotten responses to all of them.

Your popular doctrines on Easter, Christmas, Communion, Voluntary Poverty as against (God actively or benignly blessing the honest efforts of His worshipers thus resulting in) progressive prosperity over time and many more?

Since, we wanna be splitting hairs and dwelling on relevant "irrelevancies", let me query your popular impressions of the Personhood of Jesus Christ himself. Who and what fashioned your early impressions of Him? Did you grow up thinking Him as Black, Semitic or Caucasian? If you say Semitic, where did the white picture of Jesus Christ you see everywhere come from? Where do you think the foundational thoughts regarding such and many other issues came from? Were many of them not even heretic legacies from the Church of Rome? And where would the crime be in someone speaking out against erroneous paradigms and mindsets when and wherever spotted?

These his "self led and self derived opinionated observations" that you taunt; were they not, as such, sourced from fleshly lusts, church administration expediency of a largely religious age and the popular societal traditions of medieval european "dark-ages" as well as post-Nero days of pollution of the core body of central christian truths? If the church were to even have any cultural antecedent, should it be pro-Judeo-Christian? Why is the church of today so European in etymological foundation? Was Jesus, in his earthly walk an European, a Greco-Roman or truly one branded as the King of Jews?

Ok, refute his position as against the writings of the Songs of Solomon or would you say that is not canonical enough to establish that marital consummation might not have being intended for procreation alone? And if such is true, your stance of attacking the OP's sincere musings for the lack of bible verse quotations would not have being the best and most helpful approach to shedding more light on the issue?
Because he didn't quote verse might not mean his questions, points and fears may not be valid.

And lest I forget, while we all fought, daggers drawn, as per best ways to be a christian or make heaven, the thief on the right hand of the blessed savior already made it in to paradise without attending a single believers foundation class, paying any monetary vow, or joining any church activity group and Rahab and many others did same too; it's time to invest in the things that really matter.

I don't agree with many of the stuff he wrote up there too especially the purported Divine silence on masturbation, homosexuality or license for hedonistic living but set him right, if you have the time, supply the Bible verse sef instead of everybody attacking everyone else like they do with tribalism on Politics Threads; It's a new day, peace!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebimina Tamuno: I Gave Up On Yahoo Yahoo After Pastor Ibiyeomie’s Curses / "God Stopped Bullets From Entering My Body"; Man Attacked By Armed Robbers.PICS / Why Should A Pastor Drive A 10 Million Naira Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.