Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,753 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Drupal Developers, Please Log In - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Drupal Developers, Please Log In (930 Views)

Developers Please I Need Your Help. / Unn Portal Developers Please Make A Change! / Calling On All Coders & Web Developers, Please Advice Me On Social Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 21, 2010
I recently migrated to drupal, and i am finding it interesting. So far, i can set up the basic stuffs, install modules, themes and all that.
I am trying to gain my footing on creating drupal themes and modules, so far, i am trying. I am just wondering if there are drupal users
here who are experienced in building drupal extensions so we can rub minds.

BTW development of drupal extensions is similar to that of joomla. What took me some time to figure out was that in drupal, the modules
are divided into two - block modules (equivalent to joomla modules) and node modules (equivalent to joomla components) and also that
blocks in drupal represent module positions in joomla.

I discover that for complicated tasks that are rather advanced and not based on content management, drupal is a better option. Well, what
do i know, a drupal newbie like me. . .

I also found this link as a very good eye opener - http://pingvision.com/blog/rad/200710/drupal-modules-beginners
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by DualCore1: 5:40pm On Feb 21, 2010
you have been forgiven of ur joomla sins, walk in d way of drupal and sin no more.
As per module dev, i got a book i wonno start reading on it. The thing looks like plenty fun.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by DualCore1: 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2010
As per theme dev. I havnt really found joy creating one from scratch with any of the drupal theme engines. Too lazy to start doin that tongue

However, I have a few already made web 2.0 2-column and 3-column themes. When I wonno work, I take a theme and strip it to the css bone marrow, redesign it from ground up and voila grin. Its my theme i did it, so take that friggin footer away, lmao. grin
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 21, 2010
I know the strengths and weaknesses of joomla. I will say the same applies to drupal. i started with drupal before joomla, just
that joomla was faster for me to use. All the cms(es) have the same usual stuffs, just different terminologies.
Template building in joomla and theme building in drupal are very similar. I can already build some small modules in drupal.
And i am doing very fine with CCK/Views - though i can still do with more improvements. It is good to know all these things so
that you can know what is best used for any given project.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 10:39pm On Feb 21, 2010
And now i can create a theme and a module (so far, i have created a few block modules). i converted a small website
i made with dreamweaver into a drupal site for testing. So far i can use cck, views, blog,forum, and many of those
modules. It is easier to create a theme/template in drupal than in joomla. But it is easier to create a module in joomla
than to create a block module (its equivalent) in drupal.
As for content module, that one i think is optional, but i can figure it out sha, i just need to hook on to the. . .falls asleep
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by DualCore1: 11:19pm On Feb 21, 2010
this guy!
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 5:45am On Feb 22, 2010
You need to first study all those drupal APIs (same things goes for joomla). Then take a peek at a couple of modules.
I need to use drupal very quickly to do a site i have failed to accomplish with joomla and direct coding.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 22, 2010
Now dual core, i have a particular site i must do with drupal, the other frameworks i have are not doing it well.
Since it is my custom to test out one website (preferably mine) with a framework i just learnt.
My framework was tested out on a couple of sites (i have posted them before)
I tested joomla out on my site - www..com

Now, i am going to test out drupal out on www.mwebng.net - and i have, but yet to upload it.
I am saying this dual core, so that you may take a good look at mwebng.net - for now, it is done with only
dreamweaver, it has no dbase, no cms, just plain php. Now, with my ability to create modules and themes with
drupal, i have been able to recreate that site exactly as it is in drupal. Which means that, if you give me any existing
site or html template, or even joomla site, i can successfully convert it into drupal, or into joomla. This was the same
steps i learnt when i first got into joomla, just that joomla has f**ked me up a couple of times, and i think drupal is
the bomb too, for sites that are rather complicated and not really cms based.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 1:20am On Feb 23, 2010
I have transformed www.mwebng.net into 100% drupal. There is just a small drupal search (dont be fooled by the looks of the search form).
Now i feel i am ready to start using drupal. I am way behind in a particular project, let me go and slug it out with drupal at my side, see you
folks later. Meanwhile, any bugs seen should please be reported here, i got a nasty internet explorer bug earlier which i seem to have fixed.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by OmniPotens(m): 9:28am On Feb 23, 2010
See their hooks with drupal as bait waiting for me to come eat. E go catch me soon, i promise :-D
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by DualCore1: 10:37am On Feb 23, 2010
OmniPotens:

See their hooks with drupal as bait waiting for me to come eat. E go catch me soon, i promise :-D
Repent of your hand-coding sins and go in the path of Drupal, Bro Omni! grin

*dhtml:

I have transformed www.mwebng.net into 100% drupal. There is just a small drupal search (dont be fooled by the looks of the search form).
Now i feel i am ready to start using drupal. I am way behind in a particular project, let me go and slug it out with drupal at my side, see you
folks later. Meanwhile, any bugs seen should please be reported here, i got a nasty internet explorer bug earlier which i seem to have fixed.
Okies, will check it up. I see bug, I hax it tongue
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by OmniPotens(m): 10:53am On Feb 23, 2010
If you ha, I'll invite @nitation to look you up properly :-D
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 1:01pm On Feb 23, 2010
OmniPotens:

If you ha, I'll invite @nitation to look you up properly :-D
That is my first drupal site, i am interested in making it first, security comes after.

OmniPotens:

If you prefer to handcode, then drupal will help you manage your codes properly. If you hate coding but want some
functionality, then you can use joomla. I can use joomla and drupal equally, but drupal favours my style of coding
better than joomla. Joomla makes me feel like a DUNCE atimes because you cannot do some things properly if you
do not understand that aspect of the joomla API. But drupal is not OOP per say.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by OmniPotens(m): 1:49pm On Feb 23, 2010
This evening i'll play around with it after downloading her files
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by quadrillio(m): 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2010
I've only used the Drupal once,

no module created,

no theme created.

maybe my next project will suffer it. since I ve done some Joomla modules I believe it fun learning it.

the good part of starting now it is that I'll have enough people to ask questions about it. If need be.

I know I can count on my guy

OmniPotens:

the hook don catch me, so let's hope you get hooked soon,  grin
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by OmniPotens(m): 6:45pm On Feb 23, 2010
@quad Oh my pal, you don chop their bait abi? Well me sef will download and try it out tonight. Hope you'll be online so we work it out together.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by DualCore1: 6:49pm On Feb 23, 2010
hmmmm
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by quadrillio(m): 1:20pm On Feb 24, 2010
OmniPotens:

@quad Oh my pal, you don chop their bait abi? Well me sef will download and try it out tonight. Hope you'll be online so we work it out together.

I was awake till 3am but was not online cos the site I was working on needs to be delivered today and I don't want d net to distract me.

Alert me when next you be free so that we can try it out together.

-SAFE
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 25, 2010
Hmmmm Lol.

Maybe we go open tread for handcoders
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by DualCore1: 8:46pm On Feb 25, 2010
Donpuzo:

Maybe we go open tread for handcoders
No, what is needed is an enlightenment program as to what handcoding is as it is obvious its meaning has been lost and has now been over hyped and misunderstood.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 12:15am On Feb 26, 2010
Excuse me, are there some people that code with their legz? if they dont want to use their hands.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by OmniPotens(m): 7:00am On Feb 26, 2010
Just call it leg coding. @*dhtml i'll be needing your help on creating a new drupal theme. I want to rebuild a site on it. It's already existing but i want to *drupallize* it. :-P. I'll connect you on mobile for this.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 7:40am On Feb 26, 2010
I have temporarily misplaced my phone. I am hoping to get is back today. But i check my mails several times in a day (at least 10 times a day)
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 26, 2010
Best thing is to upload the files online. But i will say this, if you cannot create a block module properly, you will not be able to make the site look exactly as it was before. That was why i was able to maintain the looks of mwebng.net - it does not look like a typical drupal site.
Same thing for joomla, to transform a site to joomla and maintain its original looks, you need to be able to create a joomla theme and also a module in joomla.
Re: Drupal Developers, Please Log In by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2010
@Dualcore. angryWhatever

(1) (Reply)

I Cant Google My Free Site And Blogger / Urgently Need A Very Reliable Isp (not Gsm, Multilinks, Starcomms) In Abuja / Should I Add Mobile Adsense And Normal Adsense On The Same Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.