Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model (11905 Views)

Clean Toyota Camry 95 For Sale @ 550k / Toks Camry 95 Model For Grab By Elijahdre. Just 730k / Mercedes-benz C180 '95 Model Tokunbo @ 850k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Irwindickson(m): 5:39pm On Feb 21, 2010
Plz help, my toyota Camry 95 model, (a new buy) consumes fuel more than any car i have driven and jerks at initial acceleration. I was adviced by a technician that the airflow meter is bad. Could it be that there are other causes? Plz help me out guys,
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 21, 2010
Technician may be right.Check nossle,when its mouth is wide it does dat&check d slow run system.Try replace censor,nossle/airflow meter to make fuel system normal

1 Like

Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 8:19pm On Feb 21, 2010
Don't change the Air-flow meter/sensor yet.

For high fuel consumption, there is a very important part that you need to either clean or change - Its the Air filter. If you have a bad air-flow meter; you would be having rough idle and your vehicle will be shaking and stuff like that.

Tell them to remove the air filter - Its a framed paper like thing. Mostly, people just take it to a Vulcanizer to blow - but in your case I will suggest you have it changed.

Also have them thoroughly clean the airflow system - all the hose and the part of it that attaches to the throttle body. Also have them clean the injector/nussles.

Summary:
Most important is the air filter (Change it), then clean the air system - from the air filter housing to the big hose, then to that part of the throttle body that the big hose connects to.

Test for a while and observe; then if you dont get an impressive mileage you can have them service the injector/nuzzle system.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MUST BE DONE BY A REWIRE. NOT A MECHANIC.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Irwindickson(m): 8:39pm On Feb 21, 2010
@onwan: thanks man, I don't live in lag, and there are no rewire as it is called in lag here in delta. I will get it done 2moro. I have cleaned the air filter after purchase. It was very dirty, I had to reduce the idle speed after then. I guess I will check the nozzles too, cuz I don tire for the car oh,
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 8:49pm On Feb 21, 2010
So sorry for your troubles. Take it a step at a time;

1. Change the filter to a new one. Before you replace it, clean the housing and the complete air flow system.
2. That part of the throttle body where the big hose connects; let them clean it very well - they should gap-open that pot like thing and clean the inside very well.

If you think you have a bad airflow meter; disconnect it and start the car, then try driving it - that's when you will know that your air-flow meter is ok. Just do these things then let us know. The nuzzle/injector thing should come after you have observed.

We'll be watching to help.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Irwindickson(m): 11:37am On Feb 24, 2010
@onwan: same old story. It now jerk during swift acceleration after changing the air filter. it drags when the ac is on.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 1:07pm On Feb 24, 2010
OK, now that changing the air filter did not change the situation but made it worse, that shows an imbalance in the air/fuel mixture.

The fuel injector/nuzzles servicing would have been my next option BUT your new observation points two ways: Brainbox is the first one. You should have them check and reset it OR if you stay where you cannot get a good mechanic to check it, then you should change it.
The second would be the Airflow meter, BUT you should confirm that by doing the following;

1. Disconnect the air-flow meter
2. Start the car and drive.

IF its the same, then you know the airflow meter is faulty IF NOT then reconnect the airflow meter and face your brainbox (or first service your injector/nuzzles)

The filter change is always recommended for improving gas mileage and smooth running.

Summary:
1. Test your airflow meter as described above
2. If its ok, then work on the other options

Do let us know.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Irwindickson(m): 2:13pm On Feb 24, 2010
ok thanks man, i will first get the nozzles checked out. i will also checked the plugs, cuz it shakes on idle running,
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2010
Why not test the airflow meter with the simple ,method described above; you dont need a mechanic for that - Just remove the wire that goes to that airflow meter and then start and drive - then observe the difference;

IF the car is driving and starting the same way, then it means that the airflow meter is gone BUT if the car is behaving worse or doesnt even move, then you know that your airflow meter is working.

That is just a test; then you can now face your brainbox.

DO That test first before having them dismantle your injector or nuzzles - This is very important. Then share your views here so it can help us all
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by seal777(m): 5:39pm On Feb 24, 2010
@poster,
kindly observe the following and get back to the house:

1. does the car smokes and if it does, is it peperish in nature indicating high fuel consumption?
2. does it steam well at first start?.
3. it jerks at easy movement but what happens when u accelerate at a higher rate, does it move well?.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Irwindickson(m): 6:50pm On Feb 24, 2010
@onwan: I sincerely don't know which is the air flow meter plug, but I ran two test. I detached the plug on the idle speed control very close to the battery there was no difference, and the one on the air filter casing, still no diff. If its the latter then its the air flow meter. I'm not used to this engine parts unlike benz and Bmw.
@seal: does not smoke, at start up, it starts normally, after a while, it drops. Shakes like a scared dog wen gear is engaged. Jerks mostly on first gear smoothly or swiftly accelerated.
Thanks u guys u have all done well.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 8:38pm On Feb 24, 2010
From your description now, its not just a fuel consumption thing;

Let them check your fuel pump for pressure BEFORE making any changes

It will be strange for both Idle control and airflow meter sensor to go out at the same time (from your description). If its the airflow meter, it will die after a while when its started or when you want to rev up.

Its your brainbox OR your fuel pump - Have the fuel pump checked promptly for pressure.

*** Sorry I had to modify this message ***
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by seal777(m): 12:31pm On Feb 25, 2010
@onwan
i totally agree with you on these.

@poster,
check the fuel pump first, if there is no clue yet, have them check the brain box.

Its simple.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 12:36pm On Feb 25, 2010
@Seal777
Thanks for your input as always.

Why I like them checking these things first is that - those mechanics are mostly lazy to troubleshoot, so they just tell you to buy this and buy that. BUT when you ask them to check, it wont cost you more than just to dash them like N500, and they will be happy to do it hoping you will buy through them IF it is faulty.

I think we users should learn to have them check things rather than having them send us to the bank all the time.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by seal777(m): 1:20pm On Feb 25, 2010
@Onwan
SMART TALK.

Sometimes i try to comprehend the joy in the feeling one has when u have a car that is trouble free, OVER CONFIDENCE GO DEY WORRY YOU. grin

I do things on my car because i want to do it, not because the car requires me to do it. Since i bought it, it has given me rest of mind and the audacities to kick start it for a journey without looking back.

@poster,
TOYOTA CAMRY IS THE CAR, (V6 is da bomb cool) I hope you get a quick, reliable and cheap solution.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by sultaan(m): 3:31pm On Feb 25, 2010
What happened to a simply tune-up, fouled spark plug will result in misfire.

Spark plug and wires might be all you need.Consider this a required service.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 3:59pm On Feb 25, 2010
@Sultaan
Thanks for your input; its been a long time

From his description, there are no smoking problems - From my experience, that clears any fouling of plugs PLUS he didn't mention any misfires.

Also, trust me; that's where our mechanics will first check - that's about where they know.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by calabaman(m): 6:36pm On Feb 25, 2010
onwan, seal n sultan@ U guys have spoken my mind.You guys are indeed auto gurus, Wish u luck poster
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Irwindickson(m): 9:25pm On Mar 03, 2010
Thanks to u all. After serving the jerking stopped but the fuel consumption was still there. I found out that one of the pipes connecting from the tank to the engine was bad, guess that where all my suffering came from. I changed it and now i have good/minimal fuel consumption. Once again, thanks y'all.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by seal777(m): 11:19am On Mar 04, 2010
@poster

na wa oh, just a strike on an old connecting fuel pipe shocked?. Seems u need to be a bit more vigilant as u ought to av observe a leak somehow grin. THATS WAY OUT OF THOUGHT.

Even though ur car made the gurus in the house to go back to the library, the bottom line is that u got the solution and u re happy again.

Back to the classroom cos we re all learning.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 11:28am On Mar 04, 2010
@Seal777
So we have to add that to our library now. Its always better to check all options before buying anything.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Irwindickson(m): 10:49am On Mar 09, 2010
@gurus in the house: A friend needs help. His toyota Camry 94 model (Orobo) brings out peppery smoke which i believe is a result of high fuel consumption. He said it doesn't misfires or jerks. When I told him of my case, he became vigilant and noticed he uses his full tank in 5 days over short distances covered. What do u think could be the cause?
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2010
@Poster
Let your friend have his Injector cleaned. He should also buy these Injector cleaners they sell out there at filling stations, he should follow the instructions and add to tank as should.

That should help.
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by seal777(m): 2:08pm On Mar 09, 2010
@poster,

prof don yan finish, carbon and dirt sedimants gives much more work to the injector than normal. Have the injector flushed with injector cleanser as onwan said and pour in fuel treatment to your tank and lets drive off to ABUJA WITH THE CAR THIS WEEKEND ON FULL TANK. grin
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 3:13pm On Mar 09, 2010
@Seal777
Please check this:
Maybe its just me BUT there is something I'm noticing - Is it a Camry problem?, OR because people who own them drive them everyday, hence the problems with brainbox, sensors, fuel injectors, etc?
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by maskuraid(m): 5:47pm On Mar 09, 2010
my pple

i have a 96 camry dat i dont really drive much but wat i 'v noticed is dt when i enter d main road,it takes a couple of mins to 'kick in' as in pick up speed(it actually just drags for a while).also wen i start initially it does at once but if i happen to park,i have to pump d accelerator on tryin to restart.d car also vibrates wen on idle wit some serious noise underneath d car.

pls wat could b d problem(s) and solution.

thnks for ur time
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by Onwan: 7:45pm On Mar 09, 2010
@Mask
Your description of the problem depicts a couple of possibilities BUT we would walk through it a step at a time starting with checks and tests;

For having to pump accelerator each time to start after first start - shows your fuel pump fails OR you need a new inline crankshaft sensor.
1. Check your fuel pump for pressure (let a rewire do that for you) - the pressure should be able to push his index finger off the hose when the pump is active. At Ladipo market, you can get a replacement pump for 4k, make sure you test it for leakage at the edge where the plastic covering meets the metal body (they work those things at times)
2. Check the fuel filter or at least be sure you just serviced it recently.
3. Bleed/clean the injector - Get some injector cleaner and read instructions before emptying it into your tank.

Idle shaking has two dimensions
1. Airflow system needs thorough cleaning - the filter itself, the big hose to where it connects to the throttle body. If you clean all the airflow system and it still gives you the same symptoms, then check the Airflow meter/sensor (that connector/circuit on the big hose)
2. Your Camry's Brainbox (But I hope the steps above will sort your vehicle straight)
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by maskuraid(m): 9:05am On Mar 10, 2010
@onwan

thnks for d suggestions.

i'll get on it asap, as per d brainbox thingy,i bought a nu one last year so i hope its not d problem.

nice day,
Re: Unbearable Fuel Consumption Of A Toyota Camry 95 Model by philadee316: 10:41pm On Nov 16, 2012
SOLUTION TO YOUR FUEL ECONOMY,IMPROVED ENGINE EFFICIENCY,REDUCED EMISSION & PROLONGED ENGINE LIFE.
Do you know you can use your car A/C,car studio and speed at your best yet reduce your fuel consumption?.I got a solution that will put worry to your fuel consumption rate.
These are the benefits of the product at glance;
1. You will go farther on a tank of fuel. Based on hundreds of tests and feedback, xft can save you between 7% and 20% on your fuel costs-Gasoline (Petrol or Diesel). A 150 gallon (570 litre) tank of fuel at a 12% savings would save 18 gallons (68 litre) per fill-up. Do the math. And many are saving much more than that.
2. You no longer have to use mid-grade or premium fuel in your gasoline (Petrol) vehicle, even in high performance engines. That will save you another 3% - 5% on your gasoline (Petrol) costs right at the pump.
3. Your vehicle will run longer and smoother, without all the problems that comes with a dirty, sludge-filled, corroding, sluggish, polluting engine. This will save you money on unneeded repairs and allow your current vehicle engine to last you much, much longer, eliminating the need to replace or repair the engine nearly as often.
4. This can save you money when it comes to emissions inspections or tune-ups. XFT is also very good for the environment and is a way for your company to become more “green” without changing how you do business.
5. You no longer have to empty or replace the fuel that sits in storage tanks or seasonal equipment such as recreational vehicles, boats, lawn mowers and storage tanks. That can also save you a substantial amount of money.
6. XFT is very inexpensive and you no longer need other fuel additives designed to lubricate, clean, stabilize or do the other things that XFT does. If you were to buy store-bought additives to accomplish the same things, you would put multiple bottles of products in your tank and spend about 20 times more money.
7. You can still generate dollars passively using this product and referring people to it. You can check my site or contact me for details on how to make money with this product. 08123091221,08055302935.Email:uncommonsenseng@gmail.com. url:www.uncommonsense.mysyntek.com

(1) (Reply)

2012 Model Toyota Highlander Sportz Toks Full Option Selling Cheap / Yamaha R1 2008model Power Bike For Sale (brand New) / 2010 Toyota Corolla Le Thumb Start Engine Toks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.