Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,145 members, 7,829,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Ethnic Politics In The Uk - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ethnic Politics In The Uk (1728 Views)

American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! / The UK Legalises Same-Sex Marriage / Unidentified Man Falls From Sky In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethnic Politics In The Uk by illusion2: 6:45am On Feb 22, 2010
I have analysed the run up to the UK general elections and I have a feeling the English resent Gordon Brown because of his Scottish roots.

So tho' we complain about ethnic politics in Nigeria,its prevalent in the 'developed' world as well .
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by ElRazur: 10:21am On Feb 22, 2010
Opinion or Fact? smiley
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by illusion2: 4:25pm On Feb 22, 2010
Fact. . . most of the attacks on Gordon Brown have ethnic undertones

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/pm/2009/02/gordon_brown_is_a_oneeyed_scot.shtml
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by preselect(m): 11:25pm On Feb 22, 2010
even gordon knew that he cant win an election to be PM that is why he did all he could do to become prime minister without having to pass thru elections. he will loose the election and then we have an english bigot called cameron who has no idea what he wants
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by snowdrops(m): 11:31pm On Feb 22, 2010
illusion2:

I have analysed the run up to the UK general elections and I have a feeling the English resent Gordon Brown because of his Scottish roots.

So tho' we complain about ethnic politics in Nigeria,its prevalent in the 'developed' world as well .
Rubbish
Tony blair is a scot as had previous PMs.
They dont only recent Gordon Brown but the labour party as a whole. It appears they have passed their sell by date.
Even if it were an English man heading the party such as Milliband, Johnson etc, the outcome for labour at the polls remains the same
A certain electoral defeat and humiliation.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by preselect(m): 11:39pm On Feb 22, 2010
snowdrops:

Rubbish
Tony blair is a scot as had previous PMs.

get ur facts right, tony blair is english. he may have been born(and lived) in scotland, but he is as english as they come

They dont only recent Gordon Brown but the labour party as a whole. It appears they have passed their sell by date.
Even if it were an English man heading the party such as Milliband, Johnson etc, the outcome for labour at the polls remains the same
A certain electoral defeat and humiliation.
labour is unpopular bc things are rough all over the world and in real democracies people are against incumbents at this time, but the conservatives will run things down the more
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by AngieFan(f): 11:43pm On Feb 22, 2010
Tony Blair has Scottish roots.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by preselect(m): 11:49pm On Feb 22, 2010
every white european has roots in almost every race. ask anyone who has investigated his/her ancestry, they'll tell you some norwegian/danish/german/welsh/irish/ etc . . down the centuries of wars, migrations and inter marriages
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by snowdrops(m): 11:49pm On Feb 22, 2010
pres-elect:

get your facts right, tony blair is english. he may have been born(and lived) in scotland, but he is as english as they come
labour is unpopular bc things are rough all over the world and in real democracies people are against incumbents at this time, but the conservatives will run things down the more
Labour has been unpopular before the global economic recession. They have been ever since tony blair was reelected in 2005. The working class feel alienated. They feel let down by Labour on issues such as immigration, security, the NHS, economy and both wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The conservatives are desperate to return to 10 Downing street and will say and do anything just to get back there.
From the way things stand they will win the election but will fail to secure a vital majority in the house of commons.

He was born in Edinbrough Scotland; both his parents are scottish. How Scottish do you want him to be? The fact that he has spent most of his adult life in England does not make him English; eh!!! If i call you olodo now you go say. . . .
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by AngieFan(f): 11:49pm On Feb 22, 2010
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by snowdrops(m): 11:51pm On Feb 22, 2010
pres-elect:

every white european has roots in almost every race. ask anyone who has investigated his/her ancestry, they'll tell you some norwegian/danish/german/welsh/irish/ etc . . down the centuries of wars, migrations and inter marriages
Now you are just being ridiculous.
Tony Blair is scottish by birth; both parents are scottish of Irish decent.
So are you going to call him an Irish also?
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by preselect(m): 12:01am On Feb 23, 2010
@snowdrops
it may interest you to know that tony blairis the son of leo blair who is/was an illegitimate son of 2 english people who was now adopted by scottish parents
i was hoping one could still argue on nairaland without name calling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Blair
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by preselect(m): 12:05am On Feb 23, 2010
AngieFan:

Here's an interesting article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-big-question-what-has-been-the-record-of-previous-scottish-prime-ministers-455125.html

from this article, the last scottish PM was alec home. so definitely blair is not scottish(at least by ancestry)
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by snowdrops(m): 12:07am On Feb 23, 2010
Are you quoting wikipedia? My goodness.
Well for what its worth, being adopted means you have taken over parental responsibility of that person. And i never called you names. I found it frustrating trying to point the obvious to you.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by snowdrops(m): 12:12am On Feb 23, 2010
pres-elect:

from this article, the last scottish PM was alec home. so definitely blair is not scottish(at least by ancestry)
How deep are you prepared to dig into someones ancestry to prove their identity?
You could call barrack obama kenyan, david milliband [the foreign secretary] isreali, etc etc. You seriously need to let the matter rest. Or better still can email tony blair on mediabids@tonyblairoffice.org to verify his nationality.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by preselect(m): 4:02am On Feb 23, 2010
dont get worked up, the english people see tony blair as their own, and gordon brown as a scott. period. Obama may be officially an american but tell that to his blood brothers in kenya.

if my daddy was adopted by yorubas and given a yoruba name and i was born in lagos with a yoruba name, it doesnt change the fact that igbo blood runs in my veins. whatever documents may say about my identity it doesnt change the fact.

by the way,last time i checked, i was not the one who posted the article about scottish PMs, and about wikipedia, well i referenced it, fine, we know it is not perfect but why dont you bring evidence to refute that fact that his father was a child of some english couple. . . the guy is english, period. and if millibrand's ancestors were jews he is debatably of jewish stock, you may want to call him israeli, its ur business.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by preselect(m): 4:06am On Feb 23, 2010
just for curiosity, what do u mean by digging deep into one's ancestry? i only showed u an article from wikipedia, is that ur idea of digging deep?

anyway, this debate is irrelevant, to the british, blair is english. period. it doesnt matter what we debate here.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by AngieFan(f): 5:39am On Feb 23, 2010
Please leave the Nigerian way of looking at such things at the door. First of all, you are contradicting yourself bigtime. You say Tony Blair isn't Scottish in anyway shape or form and then when I point out his Scottish roots you go off on a tangent about every white person having roots from everywhere else. Now you are looking at Tony's father in order to support your non-Scot claim and totally ignoring his mother who was Scot Irish.

Even the the Queen has a Scottish mother and the English only have good things to say about her. In fact there are hardly any 'English' people in the Royal family including the Queen herself because her father came from a German family. If we all were to employ your archaic way of thinking then we would only claim nationality based on our forefathers even though they lived thousands of years before us in a different time and place.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by illusion2: 7:44am On Feb 23, 2010
@snowdrops,I think you should take pres-elect's advise.

Argue w/out insults. There's a stage in life when one should make the the transition from juvenility to  adulthood.

State your opinion,back up your points but no personal insults.

Tony Blair is ENGLISH. From the link on Scottish UK PMs provided,Im sure you can't know him more than the British.

AngieFan:

Please leave the Nigerian way of looking at such things at the door. First of all, you are contradicting yourself bigtime. You say Tony Blair isn't Scottish in anyway shape or form and then when I point out his Scottish roots you go off on a tangent about every white person having roots from everywhere else. Now you are looking at Tony's father in order to support your non-Scot claim and totally ignoring his mother who was Scot Irish.
Even the the Queen has a Scottish mother and the English only have good things to say about her. In fact there are hardly any 'English' people in the Royal family including the Queen herself because her father came from a German family. If we all were to employ your archaic way of thinking then we would only claim nationality based on our forefathers even though they lived thousands of years before us in a different time and place.

Actually if you want to really go back in History you'll find out the Queen has origins in modern day France  the Norman conquest of England in 1066, and along the way intermarriage has brought in German,danish and other 'bloods'.

However as per her title 'Queen of England' she is primarily ENGLISH ! And please don't think these things don't matter- the SNP & BNP are pointers to this fact. As is the intense sports rivalry between the 'home countries'. I'm not saying this is the main reason Brown is getting so much slack. .  ,  but its a factor !

Like I said earlier,lets argue,disagree,but do it with civility. There's absolutely no need for personal insults.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by illusion2: 7:48am On Feb 23, 2010
A quote from the link provided by Angie
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-big-question-what-has-been-the-record-of-previous-scottish-prime-ministers-455125.html

But does it matter now?

Some would have it so. Scottish devolution in 1998 has created some bitterness in England, with the complaint that Scots have double political representation. The "West Lothian question" - Why should Scottish MPs vote on strictly English matters, but not the other way round? - is being asked more often, not least by the present Tory leadership.

These complaints have been linked to the character of the new Prime Minister, with attempts to portray him to the English as an untrustworthy outsider. But Mr Brown might be forgiven for wondering why geographical origin seems to matter more than other aspects of a politician's background? Poor old Bute was a Tory aristocrat, educated at Eton. It might therefore be argued that his spectre haunts Mr Cameron just as much as Mr Brown.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by AngieFan(f): 10:30am On Feb 23, 2010
^^^
The lady is half German half Scots. The House of Windsor (English name) only changed its name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (German name) as recently in 1917 to show solidarity with the British people during world war 1. Now why would they need to do that if they were considered primarily English by English people?

And she is not just the Queen of Scotland but of the United Kingdom and Great Britain which means she is also the Queen of Scotland, Wales etc. She is only considered 'primarily English' by people like you who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about when it comes to Britain's affairs and use their Nigerian perspective to come up with BS. Don't like my arguing style? Then stay out of the kitchen!!

Anyway I'll leave you to it as I have made a point never to engage with anyone who brings up the BNP in order to make their point, toodles!
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by presido1: 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2010
AngieFan:

^^^
The lady is half German half Scots. The House of Windsor (English name) only changed its name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (German name) as recently in 1917 to show solidarity with the British people during world war 1. Now why would they need to do that if they were considered primarily English by English people?

And she is not just the Queen of Scotland but of the United Kingdom and Great Britain which means she is also the Queen of Scotland, Wales etc. She is only considered 'primarily English' by people like you who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about when it comes to Britain's affairs and use their Nigerian perspective to come up with BS. Don't like my arguing style? Then stay out of the kitchen!!
She can't be Queen of United Kingdom as UK comprises part of Ireland(NI).

Tony Blair although born in Scotland choose England as his nationality and we can't question that. He has never addressed himself as a scot. Even when he quit no 10 he moved to where he see as his home town Sedgefield which is an English town.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by illusion2: 1:58pm On Feb 23, 2010
Take it easy my dear. wink

Unless you are a radio set,you must expect to get a response whenever you put forward your opinion. Thats everyone's God given right,adequately catered for in relevant human rights charters.

The context of the BNP in my post is quite clear-THAT RACISM EXISTS IN THE UK.

How is the queen of England 'half German,half Scot'? Are you saying her father King Geroge VI was a German/Scottish ?

Obama is half Kenyan,half white American (dad is kenyan,mother is white american). So becareful when you say 'half'. Quarter,1/8th,1/16th probably ! tongue

Does she have German blood,likely,Scottish blood. . .not unlikely. I hope you had a look at my link above,the ruling class in England descend from the Normans,who have their origins in modern day France
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by illusion2: 2:53pm On Feb 23, 2010
presido1:

She's Queen of the UNITED KINGDOM of GB & NI.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by AngieFan(f): 3:27pm On Feb 23, 2010
presido1:

Tony Blair although born in Scotland choose England as his nationality and we can't question that. He has never addressed himself as a scot. Even when he quit no 10 he moved to where he see as his home town Sedgefield which is an English town.

I really wish people would do their research first before posting.

The Official Title of the Queen

Her Majesty The Queen's title in the United Kingdom is:

'Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/theQueen.htm

She is also known as the Queen and Head of State of Australia, Canada and New Zealand as well as 16 other formal colonies.

This is how she is referred to in Australia:

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, etc.

This is how she is referred to in Canada

In English: Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, etc.[3

illusion2:

Unless you are a radio set,you must expect to get a response whenever you put forward your opinion. Thats everyone's God given right,adequately catered for in relevant human rights charters.

How is the queen of England 'half German,half Scot'? Are you saying her father King Geroge VI was a German/Scottish ?

Obama is half Kenyan,half white American (dad is kenyan,mother is white american). So becareful when you say 'half'. Quarter,1/8th,1/16th probably !  tongue

Does she have German blood,likely,Scottish blood. . .not unlikely.  I hope you had a look at my link above,the ruling class in England descend from the Normans,who have their origins in modern day France

Who said that racism didn't exist in the UK? Of course it does but as a Black British person who was born and bred in Britain I choose not to entertain any talk of the BNP and its racist policies.

The Queen is half Scottish through her mother.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/famous/blfamelizabeth.htm

Her father, King George the VI was from the  Saxe Coburg Gotha family who were Germans. He was also born during the reign of Queen Victoria his great grandmother who actually spoke English only as a second language, German being her first. Queen Victoria also married her first cousin who was also from the German House of Saxe Coburg Gotha.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article413083.ece

Here is another interesting link.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/how-the-royal-family-shook-off-their-german-roots-532208.html

Some notable quotes

"Royalty are among the most successful of immigrants."

The last monarch to have been as much as half-English by birth and heredity was Queen Anne (1702-14)
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by AngieFan(f): 3:31pm On Feb 23, 2010
One more thing. The only notable Royals who have English blood are Prince Harry and William through their mother Princess Diana.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 23, 2010
European monarchy is noted for extensive intermarriage and mingling.

Hardly any of them without blood connections in one way or another.

Prince Philip on his part can claim Greek, Danish and Russian ancestry if he so wishes.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by preselect(m): 6:53pm On Feb 23, 2010
the royal family is usually of mixed ancestry and one may have to go as far back as the war of the roses in the 16th century to look for pure english kings[b] if any[/b].
nevertheless, the british accept their kings/queens as they are and accept them as ''english''.

however it is not the same in politics or even everyday life in the UK. infact, many of them dont even see themselves as 'british' but as scottish, welsh, english or irish. just go to wales and ask the average guy in newport if he is british and he'll tell you ''i'm welsh''. this enters into their politics as well.

don't think their is no ethnic politics in the UK, there is ethnic politics everywhere except that the civilised world is civilised about it while we in nigeria carry guns to settle our own scores. those people have their own issues too. there is intense animosity in those guys too. i once met a lady who was travelling to cardiff to have her child and when i asked why she wont have the baby in london she replied that she wants her child to be ''officially welsh''. (whatever that meant.lol.)

anyway, tony blair identifies as english and is accepted as english and that settles it. the article posted by angiefan says it all, their last scottish PM was alec home. note that the only welsh PM was lloyd george
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by illusion2: 12:19pm On Feb 24, 2010
AngieFan:

Who said that racism didn't exist in the UK? Of course it does but as a Black British person who was born and bred in Britain I choose not to entertain any talk of the BNP and its racist policies.
So why are you avoiding mention of BNP in a post. . . . ? undecided

AngieFan:

One more thing. The only notable Royals who have English blood are Prince Harry and William through their mother Princess Diana.
Actually since you mention it. . .its gets more confusing . . . . . . Diana has Irish,Scottish and American blood through her mother tongue
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by shotster50(m): 5:24am On Feb 27, 2010
There is no such thing as a Racism free country,
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by redsun(m): 4:41pm On Feb 27, 2010
But the way the labour government gave instant credence to all the eastern european countries that newly joined the EU to come into britain without restriction and in less than one year having full rights in the system as full fledge british citizens is enough to cost labour the election.

It is like opening the borders of britain to africans to come into britain,live,work and claim all the benefits available. in an instant.Those people are beyond third world state because an nigerian is even more update than them.
Re: Ethnic Politics In The Uk by agathamari(f): 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2010
pres-elect:

i think you ment ethnicities, either way try again.  irish and german only an i can tell you the percentages.  most whites are a mix of under 3 ethnicities (i suggest you ask around)
illusion2:

Obama is half Kenyan,half white American (dad is kenyan,mother is white american). So becareful when you say 'half'. Quarter,1/8th,1/16th probably ! tongue

Does she have German blood,likely,Scottish blood. . .not unlikely. I hope you had a look at my link above,the ruling class in England descend from the Normans,who have their origins in modern day France
obamas mother is irish, she isnt a native american.  as for royals in europe, they are nearly all related sad to say.  they had a habit of marring children off as part of treaties

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sarah Palin: Obama Wrong On Israeli, Afghan Policy / Imperialist Powers Escalate War In Mali / Hillary Clinton Begs Forgiveness From Rothschilds In Leaked Email! (PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.