Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,246 members, 7,836,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

U.S Open: Federer Bemoans Sloppy Start - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / U.S Open: Federer Bemoans Sloppy Start (228 Views)

The 15 Most Popular Athletes Of All Time Ft, Messi, Ronaldo, Bolt, Federer & Ali / Leo Messi Sparks Inter Miami's Comeback To Reach The U.S. Open Cup Final [Video] / Tennis: Serena Fined $17,000 For U.S Open Code Violations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

U.S Open: Federer Bemoans Sloppy Start by BounceNigeria: 4:51pm On Aug 30, 2017
Roger Federer is through to the next round of the U.S Open but not in a manner you would expect from the Swiss master.

Third seed Federer battled to defeat 19-year-old American Frances Tiafoe in five sets to reach the US Open second round on Tuesday night in New York.

The 19-time grand slam winner needed 2hr 37min to down Tiafoe 4-6, 6-2, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4 to make it into the second-round.

Later in his press conference, the Swiss was asked more questions by reporters about his slow start, Federer replied, "I don't think I had the preparation I was hoping to get. Since Montreal, the focus has been more on the back, making sure I can play the tournament rather than being well-prepared. I always knew I was going to come in feeling rusty or not great.

"I really struggled early on. I think Frances connected well. I kind of lost my footing sometimes. My eye wasn't working. I was misjudging distance. I think I was also being a bit cautious with my movement.

"Then in the second set, it all started to come together. That was good. But because of the preparation being not the best that I've had, I was quite up and down."

He was then asked about his "dodgy" back. "I'm very happy that I'm feeling as good as I'm feeling right now," Federer said. "If I had felt that my back was going to get worse every match, I probably wouldn't have played.

"My hope and my belief is that it's only going to get better from here because every day that goes by puts me further away from what happened in Montreal."
cc: honeric01

Re: U.S Open: Federer Bemoans Sloppy Start by Behankey(m): 4:57pm On Aug 30, 2017
Father of twins grin

(1) (Reply)

Mbappe: I Am Driven By The Desire To Win Everything / West Ham Discussing Bilic's Future / Arsenal Owner Declare Full Support For Wenger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.