Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,088 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan (25565 Views)

G-7 Countries Meet In Japan, Announce Support For Israel, To Pause Humanitarian / Why North Korea 'Ghost Ships' Wash Up In Japan Full Of Dead Bodies (Pics) / President Trump Gets Censored On Twitter For His Tweet Threatening Americans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by CocoaOla: 12:50pm On Aug 31, 2017
mosquito play a vital role in our ecosystems it serves as a pollinators and it also controls human over population if its completely wiped out that will be a big catastrophe for human and other living things that feed on it. NATURE WE ALWAYS REVENGE!
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by ApostleJoseph: 1:01pm On Aug 31, 2017
Do Mosquitoes now have same Lives as Humans
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Zdoh(m): 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2017
timilehin007:
this one pass my power o...can't fit withstand it.

I need a fainting space pls..
Lolz.....like saying "See the snake I catched yesterday I am gonna keep it as a pet and will never kill it as long as it lives grin

1 Like

Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Denko2721987(m): 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2017
Proudlyngwa:
That is what humanity will end up being due to political correctness.

When pets are loved more than people, what do you expect.

Keep on designating jobs that require rational judgment to AI and you get things like this.

I tell you, AI might end up been one of humanity's biggest nightmares

1 Like

Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by parrot4luk: 2:01pm On Aug 31, 2017
Hates speech in insects Kingdom
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Vutseck(m): 2:42pm On Aug 31, 2017
WorldRichest:
And Nnamdi Cownu is here threatening the president with death, yet his miscreants followers think heaven will come down when the security agents come for the senseless albino.

but arresting arewa youths is a security risk
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by FellaL: 2:55pm On Aug 31, 2017
LOOL. These ones don chop belefu
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Proudlyngwa(m): 3:12pm On Aug 31, 2017
PrinceMario:
Is mosquito a pet undecided
Just asking.

I guess you don't understand the spacing besides each statement.

Reflect on them one after the other.
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Proudlyngwa(m): 3:14pm On Aug 31, 2017
ivolt:

What is political correctness ?
Twitter sets its own rules, if you are not comfortable with them you then
you get off their platform.

Political correctness is being bothered about a mosquito being killed and getting banned by an AI
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by nextstep(m): 3:41pm On Aug 31, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Keep on designating jobs that require rational judgment to AI and you get things like this.

The AI will get more rational. How many people do you think it takes to read through about 500 million tweets per day? If one person can go through 10,000 tweets in 8 hours non-stop, you'd need 50,000 people - just to flag tweets. This needs to be designated.

The sad reality though, is that if human beings themselves didn't issue threats, there'd be no need for such a system.
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Proudlyngwa(m): 4:03pm On Aug 31, 2017
nextstep:

The AI will get more rational. How many people do you think it takes to read through about 500 million tweets per day? If one person can go through 10,000 tweets in 8 hours non-stop, you'd need 50,000 people - just to flag tweets. This needs to be designated.

The sad reality though, is that if human beings themselves didn't issue threats, there'd be no need for such a system.

Oh poor mosquito, I never knew it could be threatened.

That is the political correctness am talking about.

Why do we need people to go through every post.

Offensive posts can be flagged.

Almost everything annoys almost anyone this days, that is where common sense comes into play, has censoring words on nairaland stopped people from modifying such words and passing their message across.
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2017
Imagine, common mosquito has a privilege greater than what our citizens here in Nigeria enjoy. Among others, only in NIGERIA will someone threatens to make the country ungovernable and still succeed as number one citizen. may God help us.
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by delishpot: 4:53pm On Aug 31, 2017
In Nigeria you are allowed to escape from prison even if you possess human breasts and head. Japan mosquito have better protection than the average Nigerian.
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by ivolt: 4:58pm On Aug 31, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Political correctness is being bothered about a mosquito being killed and getting banned by an AI

You got it wrong on both ends.
Twitter AI isn't concern about mosquitoes, it is concerned with someone issuing a death threat!

Political correctness is asking people to be polite when dealing with each other
or having a responsible approach to nature.
It means not telling a limping man that is life sucks because he cannot run a 100 meters
in a minute, of course you are stating the "fact" but is it necessary ?
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Proudlyngwa(m): 5:03pm On Aug 31, 2017
ivolt:

You got it wrong on both ends.
Twitter AI isn't concern about mosquitoes, it is concerned with someone issuing a death threat!

Political correctness is asking people to be polite when dealing with each other
or having a responsible approach to nature.
It means not telling a limping man that is life sucks because he cannot run a 100 meters
in a minute, of course you are stating the "fact" but is it necessary ?

Common sense would have come in to know whom or what the death threat was issued to.
A rational human would have known how to handle this case.

Political correctness goes way beyond what you say, if you are trying to be realistic.
Political correctness simply means trying not to offend someone's feelings even if you are right.
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by kobijacobs(m): 5:15pm On Aug 31, 2017
i just weak
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by nextstep(m): 5:35pm On Aug 31, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Oh poor mosquito, I never knew it could be threatened.

That is the political correctness am talking about.

Why do we need people to go through every post.

Offensive posts can be flagged.

Almost everything annoys almost anyone this days, that is where common sense comes into play, has censoring words on nairaland stopped people from modifying such words and passing their message across.

I think I understand what you're saying, but in this case, the AI was looking for words like "kill", "die", "dead", which a lot of hate speech contains.

Take the phrase: "stupid mosquito, how dare you, I will kill you, in fact you're already dead"; this is likely most often directed at a person, not the actual insect. What's an AI to do? It's not about political correctness, per say, but about discouraging the use of twitter for hate speech and harassment, which has become too much in the recent years.

We're of course arguing about the few false-positives, forgetting about all the people who have been protected and discouraged by this AI. Imagine the case of somebody stating her opinion - pretty much about anything - she will be harassed and even issued death threats by those who disagree. It happens a lot.

Now imagine you're a company, you don't want people to be harassed on your platform; you don't want the negative reactions and media attention - not to mention lost advertizing revenue - if you're found not to curb hate speech.

As for Nairaland, if it were up to me, I would censure comments that just spew abuse. My thoughts are "you're welcome to free speech, but not on a private forum, and you agreed to our terms when you signed up"
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Springforth: 6:13pm On Aug 31, 2017
what if na bird the guy com kill....na to send interpol go pick am shey
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:14pm On Aug 31, 2017
nextstep:

I think I understand what you're saying, but in this case, the AI was looking for words like "kill", "die", "dead", which a lot of hate speech contains.

Take the phrase: "stupid mosquito, how dare you, I will kill you, in fact you're already dead"; this is likely most often directed at a person, not the actual insect. What's an AI to do? It's not about political correctness, per say, but about discouraging the use of twitter for hate speech and harassment, which has become too much in the recent years.

We're of course arguing about the few false-positives, forgetting about all the people who have been protected and discouraged by this AI. Imagine the case of somebody stating her opinion - pretty much about anything - she will be harassed and even issued death threats by those who disagree. It happens a lot.

Now imagine you're a company, you don't want people to be harassed on your platform; you don't want the negative reactions and media attention - not to mention lost advertizing revenue - if you're found not to curb hate speech.

As for Nairaland, if it were up to me, I would censure comments that just spew abuse. My thoughts are "you're welcome to free speech, but not on a private forum, and you agreed to our terms when you signed up"

I also know and commend the angle you are coming from.
Like I said where common sense comes in would have been allowing humans flag the post for humans to deal with, censored comments like di.e, 4k, kiiiiiill, can easily be twisted and bypassed without AI doing anything about it as evident on nairaland. But a flagged comment would have gotten the attention of a moderator.

For now, with AI, a harmless comment can be blocked and a twisted inciteful comment will scale through.
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by Funkybabee(f): 6:44pm On Aug 31, 2017
Mehn shift let me faint ooooooo grin grin
Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by anukulapo: 10:56pm On Aug 31, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

I like your post sir

1 Like

Re: Man Banned From Twitter For Death Threat Against Mosquito In Japan by itsRhamzy: 6:18pm On Sep 02, 2017
Ishilove:
. I can relate ma'am.. Believe me I do. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EU Signs Gas Deal With Israel, Egypt In Bid To Ditch Russia ( Pics) / Ukrainian War: G7 Countries Should Mind Its Own Business - China / Three People Wounded In Paris Knife Attack At Railway Station(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.