Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,651 members, 7,851,225 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:23 PM

Africa & Hollywood: Oil & Water? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa & Hollywood: Oil & Water? (784 Views)

Why Aren't Somali Woman In Hollywood???? / Why Africa Is Hollywood’s Biggest Missed Opportunity - Washington Post / Why Many Nollywood Movies Cannot Make Hollywood Box Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa & Hollywood: Oil & Water? by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 23, 2010
Well I am an avid tv watcher so to speak lol. I watch movies, series and talk shows. I cannot help but sense a reoccurring theme when it comes to Africans and how they are perceived in Hollywood. For the most part living in America i can vouch that it is a pretty open society however I am Jamaican and i can say that i get a little ticked off when our people are portrayed as voodoo practicing, weed smoking thugs. Naturally I also can see that African people have to go through the same bull. African men first and formost are usually depicted as angry, intimacy hungry and untamable. Not to mention the "pro mercenary" movies that depict Africa as God forsaken and in need of the "Great White Hope" such as Blood Diamond.

One of my favorite shows on tv is Oz. Those who are not familiar Oz, is a tv series that was debuted in 1997 solely to depict the prison life of men from different backgrounds and the consequences of stuffing high testorone leveled men in a cage who are violent, angry and confrontational. Among my favorite charaters is Adebisi, played by Nigerian actor, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. His character is a Nigerian born psychotic bloodthirsty convicted murderer who upon entering the prison until his characters death, terrorizes and yes even rapes (sorry had to say it) other inmates. In several episodes he is the trouble maker, he yell obscinities at women, he demands oral relations etc. Now while i found his character amusing i was king of ashamed because its like i kind of bought into the stereotype.

ex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCTudx_k-o

Anyway I am asking if you all have the same feelings? if so why or why not?
Re: Africa & Hollywood: Oil & Water? by iice(f): 6:19pm On Feb 24, 2010
Not really. . .i suppose i'm not so irritated as i'm 'supposed' to be when it comes to portrayals. Germans are usually nazis, Jews are victims, Asians don't speak english and all know kung fu etc etc. . . undecided
Re: Africa & Hollywood: Oil & Water? by Eddeux(m): 2:43am On Feb 25, 2010
All Hollywood promotes is stereotypes, but what can I say it's still the best movie industry in the world!!!
Re: Africa & Hollywood: Oil & Water? by Nobody: 8:16am On Feb 25, 2010
iice:

Not really. . .i suppose i'm not so irritated as i'm 'supposed' to be when it comes to portrayals.  Germans are usually nazis, Jews are victims, Asians don't speak english and all know kung fu etc etc. . . undecided

lol you are right. thats is so true.

(1) (Reply)

Be Part Of The Art Revolution. / Nigerian Accent According To Cnn / Yoruba Village London Launch Gallery (video)!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.