Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period (13721 Views)

ASUU To Decide Weather To Call-off Strike Or Not On Thursday / Buhari Gives Adamu Adamu 2 Weeks Ultimatum To End The Strike Or Be Fired / ASUU To Fg: Why Do You Want To Spend Money On IPPIS When UTAS Is Free? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Oduok(m): 8:07am On Sep 02, 2017
The great ASUU strike of the 2013 helped me to have one year internship in the oil and gas sector. I had already commenced my 6months internship before the strike. The strike lasted for 6months giving me additional time for more experience. I spent 6months in DPR and 6months in Exxonmobil. Students should always seize opportunities to add value to their life. At no time will conditions be favourable. Successful people only seize opportunities.

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by kennyz247(m): 8:11am On Sep 02, 2017
play bet9ja
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by rjek: 8:20am On Sep 02, 2017
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by omojeesu(m): 8:29am On Sep 02, 2017
THANKS! VERY THOUGHTFUL OF YOU.

brandonstark:
It’s no longer news that winter is here ASUU has gone on strike. There’s no idea how short this will last but going by the news, expect another week.

Yeah, I can relate with how annoying the trend is. Take it from someone who’s sat at least a year of strike actions put together.

Looking on the bright side, ASUU strike does provides you extra time you can put to great use. This same can be said of other ‘holiday’ periods.

For this article, a holiday refers to anytime school is not in session. It may be semester breaks, strike actions or the unfortunate case of waiting a year to rewrite JAMB. It could also be the months of waiting for NYSC call up.

In any case, this time is valuable and you can’t afford to blow it away. There are tons of stuff you can do with this free time. Even if you may have misused some of this times in the past, this is one time to make things right. Here are 7 ways you can make the most of this period…

1. Intern or get a small-time job
This may be a great time to draft your CV and pitch yourself to employers. Already, there are a couple opportunities since the announcement of this strike.

Walk around your area, speak to older friends and colleagues. Actively, seek opportunities to improve on your work experience. The pay may be peanuts, but the experience is worth much more.

2. Join the family business
Some of us have ‘family businesses’. This the business our parents have been doing for some time. It can be a big-time company or a small supermart. Whichever one it is, it’s not a bad idea spending holiday working here. It’s one way to give back and also add to your professional experience.

3. Learn a new skill
I have an engineer friend who makes a living today from graphics design. He learnt it while we were in school. There’s almost no limit to the skills you can learn during holidays. If anything, start with learning basic and intermediate computer operations (if you don’t know that by now). Code schools are also popping up everywhere so you can join one. You can also join the growing community of Nigerian freelancers and hone your skills.

4. Be active in church, other groups
Refuse to be an onlooker anywhere you find yourself. Be a part of people who make things work. Join a group in church, your community, and be active in it. These experiences also contribute shaping the person you’ll be in the future.

5. Travel
There’s no harm in travelling if you can afford it. Travelling is also a form of learning. If you happen to have relations scattered around Nigeria and abroad, consider travelling. Life’s too short to not explore more places.

6. Read books
I don’t mean only course-related books. Take up a novel, read a book on investment, study Nigerian history, look up spiritual books. Read far and wide.

7. Have fun
Well, you still have to catch some fun. Plus, it’s perfectly okay to spoil yourself a little. You can binge watch your favourite TV series, play football, go to more events etc etc.

http://naijastudenthub.com/2017/08/18/7-great-ways-to-spend-ASUU-strike-or-any-holiday-period/

1 Like

Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 02, 2017
Both the strike and holidays are boring.
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Sfateema(f): 8:38am On Sep 02, 2017
Nicely said
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Stevengerd(m): 8:54am On Sep 02, 2017
Bryan12:
300lv.Computer science/stats
Certified in software/Hardware
This strike is an opportunity for me to get a skill in sound engineering and mixing.
I wish every undergraduate has this mindset. cry
Nice one bro! mesef wan learn music production.
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by titiloyeblog: 9:31am On Sep 02, 2017
Mtngiftonline.cf is a scam website (Pictures and Video)

Mtngiftonline.cf is a scam website

http://www.mtngiftonline.cf is a scam website, it has duped many and will continue to dupe as much as it can. And you could be the next, only if you ignore this post. I am a victim of this, so I don't want you to be a victim too.

When I was surfing the net to source for news from various websites, I came across this website (mtngiftonline.cf) which really fascinated me to participate fully well in their activities because of their awuf(bonus) offers. Lol….. When I saw that with 200naira MTN airtime, I will be able to get 5,500naira airtime with a month free browsing and with 500naira MTN airtime, I will enjoy 2months free browsing with 10,500naira MTN airtime (Does it not look attractive to you?). But unfortunately, it is a scam which I fell into. I should have realized in time that it was a scam but I yield not to my conscience (because of the awuf(bonus) offers). The first instance that I should have realized it was a scam was the display of the website (it was not in MTN website format), this means that MTN knows nothing about this activity.

click here to read more: http://www.titiloyeblog.com/2017/09/mtngiftonlinecf-is-scam-website.html
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by 400billionman: 10:44am On Sep 02, 2017
Everyday should be a holiday..
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Fidelismaria: 11:14am On Sep 02, 2017
sundilazo:
We don here, abeg make una allow person rest....where d work dey outside, person don find work tire. No be money person go use learn/acquire skills? Mtcheeeew.

you stole the words rite outta my mouth
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by XTHRONE(m): 11:36am On Sep 02, 2017
[quote author=uzoclinton post=60051458]Instead of travelling abeg just watch tv... Nigerian roads are not good.. mk person no go die because of ASUU...

meanwhile y'all should check thus out

Top 10 most viewed Nigerian music videos on youtube[/quote
Light no dey
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by XTHRONE(m): 11:38am On Sep 02, 2017
[quote author=uzoclinton post=60051458]Instead of travelling abeg just watch tv... Nigerian roads are not good.. mk person no go die because of ASUU...

Light no dey[quote author=uzoclinton post=60051458]Instead of travelling abeg just watch tv... Nigerian roads are not good.. mk person no go die because of ASUU...

Light no dey

Light no dey
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 02, 2017
[quote author=brandonstark post=60045271]It’s no longer news that winter is here ASUU has gone on strike. There’s no idea how short this will last but going by the news, expect another week.

Yeah, I can relate with how annoying the trend is. Take it from someone who’s sat at least a year of strike actions put together.

Looking on the bright side, ASUU strike does provides you extra time you can put to great use. This same can be said of other ‘holiday’ periods.

For this article, a holiday refers to anytime school is not in session. It may be semester breaks, strike actions or the unfortunate case of waiting a year to rewrite JAMB. It could also be the months of waiting for NYSC call up.

In any case, this time is valuable and you can’t afford to blow it away. There are tons of stuff you can do with this free time. Even if you may have misused some of this times in the past, this is one time to make things right. Here are 7 ways you can make the most of this period…

1. Intern or get a small-time job
This may be a great time to draft your CV and pitch yourself to employers. Already, there are a couple opportunities since the announcement of this strike.

Walk around your area, speak to older friends and colleagues. Actively, seek opportunities to improve on your work experience. The pay may be peanuts, but the experience is worth much more.

2. Join the family business
Some of us have ‘family businesses’. This the business our parents have been doing for some time. It can be a big-time company or a small supermart. Whichever one it is, it’s not a bad idea spending holiday working here. It’s one way to give back and also add to your professional experience.

3. Learn a new skill
I have an engineer friend who makes a living today from graphics design. He learnt it while we were in school. There’s almost no limit to the skills you can learn during holidays. If anything, start with learning basic and intermediate computer operations (if you don’t know that by now). Code schools are also popping up everywhere so you can join one. You can also join the growing community of Nigerian freelancers and hone your skills.

4. Be active in church, other groups
Refuse to be an onlooker anywhere you find yourself. Be a part of people who make things work. Join a group in church, your community, and be active in it. These experiences also contribute shaping the person you’ll be in the future.

5. Travel
There’s no harm in travelling if you can afford it. Travelling is also a form of learning. If you happen to have relations scattered around Nigeria and abroad, consider travelling. Life’s too short to not explore more places.

6. Read books
I don’t mean only course-related books. Take up a novel, read a book on investment, study Nigerian history, look up spiritual books. Read far and wide.

7. Have fun
Well, you still have to catch some fun. Plus, it’s perfectly okay to spoil yourself a little. You can binge watch your favourite TV series, play football, go to more events etc etc.

http://naijastudenthub.com/2017/08/18/7-great-ways-to-spend-ASUU-strike-or-any-holiday-period/[/quote

Just tell us you don't wanna go back to school, what do you mean by "have fun", "travel", "be active in church", "get a small job", "join family business"( with this particular point of yours, can I conclude that Anambra is your state of origin?)
please, the strike won't last long to achieve all these you've mentioned.

You want us to join family business so when they shock us with Exams the same Family will ask us if they invited us to join them.Abi?
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by speakingbeing(m): 2:36pm On Sep 02, 2017
please I want to know current Uni Ben aptitude test form fees.
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Tajbol4splend(m): 3:22pm On Sep 02, 2017
PreacherX:
Happy Birthday to you man... May the Lord lift you high, more life!

Nice post coming from OP.

Thanks
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 02, 2017
[quote author=AleksAndrya post=60063505][/quote]

Seems I misunderstood the post. That's if you're talking about Holidays, not this present Strike cos it wouldn't last.
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by chenor(f): 4:52pm On Sep 02, 2017
I really want to attend a baking class but the price is high.. So have to be reading books for the main. I just wish someone would sponsor the baking class. Don't want to misuse this strike
Re: 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period by brownshugar19(f): 6:54pm On Sep 02, 2017
Looking for a part time or full time business with a cosmetics company. Which gives you the opportunity to look good make money and have while earning 250 and above monthly? Contact 08025346907 on whatsapp for more info on how you can work from home

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Accused Of Abandoning Chibok Girls On Scholarship At American University Yola / University Of Ghana Admission Still On! / Problems And Solutions Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.