Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria (1507 Views)

Want A Perfect Architecture Design And Build Construction This Year? / How Do You The Profession Of Estate Management? / The Profession Of Estate Surveying And Valuation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by univasal: 10:48am On Sep 02, 2017
In the building industry,Architects are the first assure the possibility of the existence of a building needed by a client. This is achieved through his technical,creative sketches and final production. The Architect of course brushed up this skills with formal education and exposure. To acquire the certification for practice is actually next to death and yet,this profession is silently facing a war which I believe was caused by Architects
I want to present the few challenges attacking the profession in form of questions.
1. Why do clients insist on under paying Architects in Nigeria?
2.Why do clients listen to the contractor who has no technical knowledge and throw away the Architect who originated the evidence showing that a particular building can exist?
3. Why do senior Architects weaken the younger ones through exploitation? No apology.
Actually,all my inspirational posts are geared towards the young struggling Architects in Nigeria.
I don't want to make this post long so let's briefly talk on each solution for each challenge.
CHALLENGES
1. Nigeria economy has made Architects to hungry that they are ready to do stressful bungalow,duplex,mansion and huge public building job for N20,000,N40,000,N75,000 and N100,000 respectively,sometimes including the stamping. When I was in school,I refused to buy our departmental T-shirt because of the inscription that said "work like a slave". Permit me to say "bullshit". I work like a king. Recreate the world,impress God who put the
creative ability in you and get the commensurate
monetary value for your effort.

2.manipulative and persuasive on the design.
2. Another challenge is that,clients to my greatest
surprise pay more attention to contractors who
are also laymen trying to make money in the
building industry.
An Architect will suggest a material for a huge
project and a contractor will want to cut his share
and end up suggesting an inferior material. Guess
who the client listens to,the almighty
layman,why?because the Architect looks cheap.
Do you know the funniest thing about this? When
contractors make their choices,clients don't feel
the negative impact until they pack into the
house. By then it must have been too late.

3. Another challenge is that when this student or
young Architects run to their advanced senior
colleagues for a lifeline, this Architects increase
the frustration by exploiting and manipulating
them with statements like "you are still young
and this is not really the time for income rather
time to gain more experience".
As a student I did a short industrial training under
a popular Architect in Owerri. I just feel like
mentioning his name but as a matter wisdom,I
won't. But I must tell you that I spent N500 on
transport to his house which his office was,with
no launch, and that was every day for 5 months.
Do you know that I even turned to his gate man
and he wasn't even taking me to field. I was in his
office,reading some Architectural books he gave
me and also typing his documents for him. I kept
spending because I thought that he will definitely
pay me at the end of the industrial training but to
my greatest surprise,the same man that I type
N18million contracts for,told me that I should
take care,left me with no N10 for pure water.
Enough of this challenges. The question is how do
we solve this problem.
SOLUTION
My crusade is,let us call back the dignity of
Architecture. This is not to make building
construction unbearable,rather to make building
clients know the value of what we do.
1. Alright,how do we do that,up and coming
Architects should learn how to add some other
factors that generate income so as not to be
stranded and frustrated by Nigerian bad
economy.
This act will help make Architects maintain the
right prices for stressful drawings.
It will reduce our desperation towards contracts.
2. It will make clients to start listening and accepting
your judgements because as at that time,you will
become the needed and won't look cheap to
contractors any more.
3. It will make the senior Architects to stop
exploiting and wasting your ability.
Source: www.prodesigners.com.ng
Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by snakebeat: 11:34am On Sep 02, 2017
Losing is an understatement
Architecture has lost its value
The profession is now so saturated. Sometimes i wonder of what use is ARCON & NIA undecided

6 Likes

Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by univasal: 11:59am On Sep 02, 2017
snakebeat:
Losing is an understatement
Architecture has lost its value
The profession is now so saturated. Sometimes i wonder of what use is ARCON & NIA undecided
Thanks@Snakebeat,do you have more suggestions to restore our lost value?
Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 02, 2017
univasal:
In the building industry,Architects are the first assure the possibility of the existence of a building needed by a client. This is achieved through his technical,creative sketches and final production. The Architect of course brushed up this skills with formal education and exposure. To acquire the certification for practice is actually next to death and yet,this profession is silently facing a war which I believe was caused by Architects
I want to present the few challenges attacking the profession in form of questions.

Define underpaying.

Is there a book of fees somewhere or each firm is free to set their own price?

Did I underpay when I refused to pay N1million for plans for a bungalow just because I wanted an internal courtyard and I'm from the US? In Ibadan?

My layman suggestion is to look within your field instead of blaming the clients.

I bought my plans on eBay for around $20, yes, it will need to be massaged to fit my local ordinance but shouldn't cost more than 2 hours @ $50 to $75 per hour.

The internet has changed the business landscape for certain professions. eLance and co has levelled the field. I got 3D of my plan done for $15. How much do you charge for 3D?

The successful Architect will have added value to his clients instead of chest thumping about years of education. What should NeuroSurgeons do then?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by snakebeat: 5:06pm On Sep 02, 2017
univasal:
Thanks@Snakebeat,do you have more suggestions to restore our lost value?
There should be a serious regulatory policy on the practice of architecture in Nigeria to be enforced by ARCON to purge the system, because the profession seems to becoming that of everyone, when we have few just few registered architects in Nigeria.
Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 02, 2017
in my experience, professional architects are very organised.

so my first issue is with your barely coherent write up which has numbers repeating themselves with no proper order. the summary is -
i should be paid much more.

now to your issues:
any client will take advantage of any opportunity available to them to pay less for a service. it is not limited to architecture. every professional faces this in one way or another

2.Why do clients listen to the contractor who has no technical knowledge and throw away the Architect who originated the evidence showing that a particular building can exist?

that is your ego speaking. there is no way an experienced contractor will not have some level of technical knowledge. in particular, for run of the mill projects like domestic dwellings, a contractor can be engaged for design and build. the real onus is on you as the architect to demonstrate clearly to the client why you are relevant to the project. yes, nigerians have a disdain for thinking and a love for 'action'. i am an engineer, and i have heard other engineers disparage designs as mere 'drawings', project scheduling as 'playing with excel' while celebrating execution as 'the work'.

3. Why do senior Architects weaken the younger ones through exploitation? No apology.

1. Nigeria economy has made Architects to hungry that they are ready to do stressful bungalow,duplex,mansion and huge public building job for N20,000,N40,000,N75,000 and N100,000 respectively,sometimes including the stamping. When I was in school,I refused to buy our departmental T-shirt because of the inscription that said "work like a slave". Permit me to say "bullshit". I work like a king. Recreate the world,impress God who put the creative ability in you and get the commensurate monetary value for your effort.

the issue is oversupply of talent and an abundance of low skill projects. You can find drafter who will push out a competent three bedroom bungalow design in an hour. there is no way to compete with that. if there are hundreds of architects available for simple jobs, then its a buyers market

2.manipulative and persuasive on the design. 2. Another challenge is that,clients to my greatest surprise pay more attention to contractors who
are also laymen trying to make money in the building industry. An Architect will suggest a material for a huge project and a contractor will want to cut his share and end up suggesting an inferior material. Guess who the client listens to,the almighty layman,why?because the Architect looks cheap. Do you know the funniest thing about this? When contractors make their choices,clients don't feel the negative impact until they pack into the house. By then it must have been too late.

once the project starts proper who does the client interact with the most? the contractor. the architect and engineers may come in once a week, but the contractor or members of his team are on site 24/7. it is inevitable that they will build their own relationship with the project owner.

as i had stated before, every client wants to reduce the cost of his build. the onus is on you to package the information on the risks in a way that will convince the client. you must also understand that the smaller the client, the more willing the client will be to bear risks. the project manager for a multinational will have to bear the management consequences of a bad decision as he is an employee. as the owner, it more or less starts and ends with you.

3. Another challenge is that when this student or young Architects run to their advanced senior colleagues for a lifeline, this Architects increase the frustration by exploiting and manipulating them with statements like "you are still young and this is not really the time for income rather time to gain more experience".

they are telling you the truth. what you are displaying is the typical nigerian impatience and desire for quick wealth. one of the reasons we have so many incompetent artisans and professionals today is because so many of them are in a hurry to start earning the big money of their ogas without putting in the hours and getting the requsiite expereince. they say it takes five years to become an overnight success; most nigerians want to become overnight successes in six months. unless you are a prodigy or extraordinary talent, you have to pay your dues. otherwise, all that will happen is that you will jump into a big project and mess yourself and your client up.

EgunMogaji:

Define underpaying.

Did I underpay when I refused to pay N1million for plans for a bungalow just because I wanted an internal courtyard and I'm from the US? In Ibadan?

My layman suggestion is to look within your field instead of blaming the clients.

I bought my plans on eBay for around $20, yes, it will need to be massaged to fit my local ordinance but shouldn't cost more than 2 hours @ $50 to $75 per hour.

The internet has changed the business landscape for certain professions. eLance and co has levelled the field. I got 3D of my plan done for $15. How much do you charge for 3D?

The successful Architect will have added value to his clients instead of chest thumping about years of education. What should NeuroSurgeons do then?

there is a scale of fees based on estimated project budget. however on small builds this is often not adhered to. even on big projects, the client may strong arm the consultants into lower fees

it goes both ways, clients can be overly stingy, but in the same vein too many nigerians are also greedy and have an entitlement mentality which can grate.

The successful Architect will have added value to his clients instead of chest thumping about years of education.
this. i am an electrical engineer by training, but i have taught myself how to use sketchup and autocad. i am sometimes extremely disappointed at the quality of work we get from some architects we have engaged.

when your architect is pushing out lazy 3d models that do not have your logos or which they have not localized [ i hate models with cars with American plate numbers or people who are clearly not nigerian etc.] ;

making a big deal of his poor quality models ;

displaying to you that he is not up to date [one architect i worked with was using autocad 2002 on a laptop with 2gb of ram; i had wanted to show him how to publish - plot multiple drawings at once; but i gave up immediately i saw his config].
then you have issues.

of course this is my opinion

3 Likes

Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by univasal: 5:30pm On Sep 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Define underpaying.

Definition of underpayment is measured by conscience. The payment should be based on what your conscience tells you that it justifies the Architect's effort
Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 02, 2017
univasal:
Definition of underpayment is measured by conscience. The payment should be based on what your conscience tells you that it justifies the Architect's effort

You're not serious.

I can understand the cause of your angst. It's not the clients or fellow Architects.

Your response reeks of an unhealthy sense of entitlement.

2 Likes

Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by univasal: 10:12pm On Sep 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You're not serious.

I can understand the cause of your angst. It's not the clients or fellow Architects.

Your response reeks of an unhealthy sense of entitlement.
Well,I know your type already. Many of them on Nairaland. Well,I am not going that way with you. Learn not to be aggressively rude with your analysis just because want to make a point and thinking that you are too sure of what you are saying. Take my advice,anytime you award a contract any professional,please don't focus on how much you want to save for yourself,rather allow your conscience to determine how much you pay him. I am a man of simple and common understanding. Besides,the people I am trying to relate to,are already getting my point. Just like the first person who commented.

1 Like

Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 02, 2017
univasal:
Well,I know your type already. Many of them on Nairaland. Well,I am not going that way with you. Learn not to be aggressively rude with your analysis just because want to make a point and thinking that you are too sure of what you are saying. Take my advice,anytime you award a contract any professional,please don't focus on how much you want to save for yourself,rather allow your conscience to determine how much you pay him. I am a man of simple and common understanding. Besides,the people I am trying to relate to,are already getting my point. Just like the first person who commented.

You're delirious.

You have no worthy advice to give anyone like me.

No one on this thread has supported your assinine suggestions. You're just another frustrated and hungry artisan that can't even get by.

2 Likes

Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by univasal: 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2017
oyb:
in my experience, professional architects are very organised.

so my first issue is with your barely coherent write up which has numbers repeating themselves with no proper order. the summary is -
i should be paid much more.

now to your issues:

any client will take advantage of any opportunity available to them to pay less for a service. it is not limited to architecture. every professional faces this in one way or another

that is your ego speaking. there is no way an experienced contractor will not have some level of technical knowledge. in particular, for run of the mill projects like domestic dwellings, a contractor can be engaged for design and build. the real onus is on you as the architect to demonstrate clearly to the client why you are relevant to the project. yes, nigerians have a disdain for thinking and a love for 'action'. i am an engineer, and i have heard other engineers disparage designs as mere 'drawings', project scheduling as 'playing with excel' while celebrating execution as 'the work'.

the issue is oversupply of talent and an abundance of low skill projects. You can find drafter who will push out a competent three bedroom bungalow design in an hour. there is no way to compete with that. if there are hundreds of architects available for simple jobs, then its a buyers market

once the project starts proper who does the client interact with the most? the contractor. the architect and engineers may come in once a week, but the contractor or members of his team are on site 24/7. it is inevitable that they will build their own relationship with the project owner.

as i had stated before, every client wants to reduce the cost of his build. the onus is on you to package the information on the risks in a way that will convince the client. you must also understand that the smaller the client, the more willing the client will be to bear risks. the project manager for a multinational will have to bear the management consequences of a bad decision as he is an employee. as the owner, it more or less starts and ends with you.

they are telling you the truth. what you are displaying is the typical nigerian impatience and desire for quick wealth. one of the reasons we have so many incompetent artisans and professionals today is because so many of them are in a hurry to start earning the big money of their ogas without putting in the hours and getting the requsiite expereince. they say it takes five years to become an overnight success; most nigerians want to become overnight successes in six months. unless you are a prodigy or extraordinary talent, you have to pay your dues. otherwise, all that will happen is that you will jump into a big project and mess yourself and your client up.

there is a scale of fees based on estimated project budget. however on small builds this is often not adhered to. even on big projects, the client may strong arm the consultants into lower fees

it goes both ways, clients can be overly stingy, but in the same vein too many nigerians are also greedy and have an entitlement mentality which can grate.

this. i am an electrical engineer by training, but i have taught myself how to use sketchup and autocad. i am sometimes extremely disappointed at the quality of work we get from some architects we have engaged.

when your architect is pushing out lazy 3d models that do not have your logos or which they have not localized [ i hate models with cars with American plate numbers or people who are clearly not nigerian etc.] ;

making a big deal of his poor quality models ;

displaying to you that he is not up to date [one architect i worked with was using autocad 2002 on a laptop with 2gb of ram; i had wanted to show him how to publish - plot multiple drawings at once; but i gave up immediately i saw his config].
then you have issues.

of course this is my opinion
Well,sorry,may be I am not to good in writing like a professional but trust me when I say that I have strong sense of humor and it always makes me have what to say. On a second note,please don't be to fast with conclusions. I am an architect and I have handled very huge concrete projects with some contractors. Look,they are business men who do some other things. Even,there is this one that left the site and ran away to Germany with the huge amount he was paid because of greed. The other one,anytime he sees the clients coming will always call me to quickly explain what we have done so far,so that he can claim to be directing site workers.
Please,if you read my post well,then you will realize the my attention was on the unfavorable economy of Nigeria. The will never be any harm in supporting a young person that worked under you,just because you feel that it's time to learn. Still my opinion though
Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by univasal: 10:39pm On Sep 02, 2017
snakebeat:

There should be a serious regulatory policy on the practice of architecture in Nigeria to be enforced by ARCON to purge the system, because the profession seems to becoming that of everyone, when we have few just few registered architects in Nigeria.
I believe that we share the same view. Thanks
Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by snakebeat: 10:45pm On Sep 02, 2017
univasal:
I believe that we share the same view. Thanks
Yes
Are u an architect sir?
Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by univasal: 12:03am On Sep 03, 2017
snakebeat:
Yes Are u an architect sir?
Yes
Re: The Profession Architecture Is Loosing Value In Nigeria by univasal: 12:11am On Sep 03, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You're delirious.

You have no worthy advice to give anyone like me.

No one on this thread has supported your assinine suggestions. You're just another frustrated and hungry artisan that can't even get by.
I have heard you. It's okay

(1) (Reply)

Pertinence Limited Owners Of Vip & Abc Gardens {promo On Lands} / CHRISTMAS PROMO: Own 2 & 3 Bedroom Flat + Bq In Yaba For 24.5m / Opportunity To Own An Investment With Huge Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.