Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:13 AM

Encouraging Start For Nigeria At World Table Tennis Championships - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Encouraging Start For Nigeria At World Table Tennis Championships (335 Views)

Divine Oduduru Disqualified From IAAF World Championships / Adekuoroye Wins Second World Wrestling Championships Bronze Medal / Matthijs De Ligt Scores Own Goal In His First Start For Juventus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Encouraging Start For Nigeria At World Table Tennis Championships by Onlytru: 7:54am On Sep 03, 2017
Nigeria table tennis trio Funke Oshonaike, Olajide Omotayo and Ojo Onaolapo won their respective opening games at the World Table Tennis Championship in Düsseldorf, Germany on Monday.

Veteran Olympian Oshonaike faced a tricky opponent in the first round, seeing off the challenge from 12-year-old Philippine, Rizumu Ono in six sets 15-13, 11-8, 12-10, 8-11, 6-11, 12-10 to qualify for the next round of the women's singles qualification stage.

Omotayo defeated Malta's Daniel Bajada in four sets of 11-9, 11-5, 11-4, 11-7; while Onaolapo beat Cypriot Christos Savva 11-2, 11-8, 11-5, 11-7.

"I must admit that I have never been so nervous like this in my life, particularly playing against the young girl who is not even older than my first son who is 14," Oshonaike said in an interview with ittf.com.

"I was so scared because she is so talented that even before the match, I could not sleep well. I knew that if I didn't beat her I wouldn't be able to make it out of the group.

"When the match was 3-2, a lot of thoughts were going through my mind. I was just thinking that I should not lose to this girl.

"I was wondering what I will tell Nigerians back home, that a 12 year-old girl beat me. But, experience saved me from the talented girl," concluded Oshonaike.

Meanwhile, Omotayo expressed pride at representing Nigeria at his maiden world championships

"I am very proud and privileged to be competing at my first World Championships particularly to have been selected among the millions of talents in Nigeria.

"This is a place where the best compete and playing my first match was indeed a memorable moment for me. When I started the match, I was a bit eager to finish quickly but the pep talk from my coach calmed me," said Omotayo.

http://kwese.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/19495430/encouraging-start-nigeria-world-table-tennis-championships

(1) (Reply)

South Africa, Senegal To Replay World Cup Qualifier Match / Top Clubs Want PSG's Cavani After Clash With Neymar - Report / Highlight Sevilla Vs Liverpool 3:3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.