Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,319 members, 7,957,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:31 PM

What You And I Owe Nigeria -- Olatayo Samuel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What You And I Owe Nigeria -- Olatayo Samuel (323 Views)

Togo, Niger, Benin Owe Nigeria ₦32.04 Billion For Electricity Supplied In 2019 / Togo, Benin, Niger Owe Nigeria 30 Billion Naira For Electricity / I Owe Nobody Any Apology For Supporting Buhari - Kenneth Okonkwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What You And I Owe Nigeria -- Olatayo Samuel by sammyscholar(m): 1:56pm On Sep 03, 2017
WHAT YOU AND I OWE NIGERIA

Written by: Olatayo Samuel

The current ugly, unpalatable situation in our country prompted me to pen this piece even though I wasn't planning to as I already have a big project that I'm actively engage in.

I found it necessary to write at this time so the brewing disaster, ticking like a timed bomb, would be proactively put out before it bursts and burns you and I.

I was encourage more to lend my voice to this critical national issue by the many pieces that some fellow patriotic Nigerians have written.

Some days ago, I read a piece written by a bibliophilic friend of mine, Olalere Labeeb, where he was charging us to be 'purpose driven'. To drive home his points, he applied some anecdotes, one of which talks about Nelson Mandela, an all-time most reverence leader in South Africa, and how he fought and risked his life to see to the end of Apartheid Regime in his beloved country.

"Why must a person leave his own comfort and start fighting tooth and nail for a country?," some persons would ask. The truth is, if a country does not advance, if it does not grow sustainably or know peace, then, her inhabitants (everyone) would, technically and practically, be trapped.

We are indebted to Nigeria. We are responsible for everything --- either progress or retrogression --- that happens in the country.

Patrick Henry, one of the great independence fighters in the United States, declared, "Give me liberty or give me death!" This statement was borne out of his love and sense of responsibility to his country.

The responsibility we have today is not to fight with our lives for the freedom of our country from the imperialist but to decidedly and determinedly work for the unity, progress and development of Nigeria.

Nigeria is our Canaan land and whether or not it is going to progress depends on you and I. It depends on our lifestyle. It depends on our sensitivity --- how sensitive we are to things and people around us. It depends on our self-discipline and how we are willing to make things work.

Nigeria is not working today because of the misdeeds of some people. And these people include you and I. Nigeria remains peasants' nation because of the sheer laziness of some people. Amongst these people is you and I. Laziness I mean here is not physical wise but thinking and creative wise.

Isn't it laughable seeing some people living lackadaisically in their own country --- doing absolutely nothing for the progress of their country, misappropriating funds when they are placed in positions of power, squandering government' resources, disrespecting the law of the land, falsify statements and documents for gains, destroying the little trust that holds the country together --- and going about to praise the development of other nations? A development laboured for by people who sacrificed their leisure and comfort for the sake of their country.

You and I find it easy to cast blames on the government for the woes of the country but live our lives recklessly, nonchalantly and in selfish manner, caring not what is destroyed or whose life is negatively affected by our lifestyle.

Nigeria has many, many problems confronting her; which of them have you decided to solve? What are you thinking or doing already to make Nigeria better?

You and I do not necessarily need to hold a position of power before we start making positive impact on our country. We do not need to have all the money in the world before we take a step towards bettering our nation.

All we need to create a Nigeria of our dream is to have the will, determination, along with integrity and blend them with our skills and talents; and we have it!

God bless Nigeria.

Olatayo Samuel is a trained Supply Chain Manager and a Generic Writer.
Re: What You And I Owe Nigeria -- Olatayo Samuel by sammyscholar(m): 1:59pm On Sep 03, 2017
Cc:
Seun
lalasticlala
darrytoz
Mynd44
Re: What You And I Owe Nigeria -- Olatayo Samuel by sammyscholar(m): 3:04pm On Sep 03, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Only Northerners Want Nnamdi Kanu's Rearrest - Afenifere / PDP: Carry Everybody Along, Makarfi Charges Osun, Adamawa Caretaker Committees / What I Won’t Allow ‘hausa, Fulani’ Soldiers Do To Igbos – Nnamdi Kanu [VIDEO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.