Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

EFCC is A Threat To Democracy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC is A Threat To Democracy (1426 Views)

Mayday! Mayday!! "EFCC Is Broke"-Cant Pay Salaries / APC Is A Threat To Democracy – Obanikoro / Nigeria: PDP Not Greatest Threat to Democracy -Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by adconline(m): 6:37am On Feb 14, 2007
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007021414353426

I feel that EFCC should not hit the polity, Ribadu may mean well, but he should guide his utterances because they might prejudice his cases against corrupt politicians.
Why did it take him up till now to release these names?  I would think that he knows a lot about the law that one is adjudged to be innocent until proven guilty in a competent court of law. EFCC cannot be a prosecutor and a judge in these cases. I would want to see him slam prosecutions on these people.
I think that these politicians can scuttle the upcoming general elections thereby extending OBJ’s tenure.

OBJ is using EFCC  as hell

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007021414353426
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by dblock(m): 8:27am On Feb 14, 2007
@ Topic heck no!!!!! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by gabrielgb: 12:17pm On Feb 14, 2007
yulk, when i saw the topic i was inetrested. but realy who the hell is gonna take his time to read all that?post something reasonable man
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by McKren(m): 5:23pm On Feb 14, 2007
Waste of time and space.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by adconline(m): 5:36pm On Feb 14, 2007
someone is a busy body . Doing the same thing you dont want someone to do by posting
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by shutmouth(m): 8:03pm On Feb 14, 2007
Boring,
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by adconline(m): 6:54am On Feb 15, 2007
Boring@

because this is a forum where topics must sexualise,tribalize, abuse,incite.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by eniola1310(f): 9:05am On Feb 15, 2007
No doubt this guy is related to one of them affected governors and Ribadu is scaring the Shit out of him !!!

There's really no rest for the wicked
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by shutmouth(m): 11:07am On Feb 15, 2007
Stoooooooooooooop this thread, It makes me sick.

There are more important subjects to talk about.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by adconline(m): 7:59am On Feb 16, 2007
Shutmouth, its not by force you can ignore. What makes you sick?
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by shutmouth(m): 9:51am On Feb 16, 2007
OBJ is using EFCC  as hell

These are speculations and misleading threads. It's sickening for anyone who has read and understands the main objectives of the EFCC and it's Modus Operandi.

Are people too young or too ignorant to know that Nigeria has been plunged into poverty by it's past and present rulers? Take a close look at some of the Asian (India, Singerpore, Thailand, Malaysia etc) and Eastern European and Baltic countries. Do any of these countries possess the type of resources Nigeria has, yet they are increasing their standard of living, reducing unemployment, advancing in new technologies, providing quality education and attracting foreign investments, tourism and recognised worldwide. 

Nigeria on the other hand is still regarded as a backward, poor and corrupt country. Simply known as the inventor of 419.

Take a look at Romania and Bulgaria that embarked on the same objectives as the EFCC and were able to eradicate corruption before joining the EU in 2007. If these small countries can achieve that within a short period of time, EFCC can do it within a year given the current drive and zeal of Ribadu and the support of the FG.

As a nation, we must not just support our Govt in it's current efforts to rid the country of corruption, but make our own individual contributions to the fight through educating those that still dwell on ignorance.

Sometimes, you can not help holding your breath to see what people write about EFCC on this/other forums. I wonder if they have ever visited the EFCC web site to understand their main objectives.

EFCC Web Site: http://www.efccnigeria.org/

Whatever, Nigerians think about EFCC, the USA, Europe and the world are solidly behind the FG/EFCC as they believe the solution to Nigerian's problems will help to solve the ailing problems in the continent and prevent terrorists from taking advantage of the poverty in the continent to sow their seeds.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by omofineboy(m): 10:50am On Feb 16, 2007
The tread is okay. I am worried when people dont know that OBJ is using EFCC to witchunting his opponents, what do u have to say about the fact that Bode George was involved in stealing 83BILLION Naira NPA fund but yet he is working a free man, what about Gbenga Daniel of Ogun State who we learnt stole public funds to build mansions in England, what of Akala who Ribadu also confessed that hes a criminal are the names of these people on the list of corupt Nigerians, what of Andy Uba who used Presidentila Jet to smuggle illegal funds into the US? Haba dont let any one blind you, EFCC is a good thing that ever happened to Nigeria but OBJ is using it for his sit-tight project. You can even ask about Presidential Library, Transcorp, and other OBJ's interest , infact as far as Iam concerned Obasanjo is the most corrupt Nigeria and should be No1 on the list why is he not? Some one made reference to EU and US, these countries know better, we just read about the fact that US said the disqualification of some candidates is dictatorial and undemocratic.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by shutmouth(m): 11:12am On Feb 16, 2007
The EFCC's work has just began and it's needs time to investigate all cases brought before it by citizens and corporate bodies. It's major priority now is to make sure that the right people lead our country.

In the following years, if adequately funded by the incoming FG, it will have enough resources to investigate all the cases you have listed. EFCC cannot just work on guesses and gossips. To be fair and just, they must investigate all cases thoroughly.

As a citizen, you can conduct your own investigations into those cases and report your findings to the EFCC. Afterall, indictments are based on factual reports sent to the EFCC by citizens, companies, govt bodies, charity organizations, foreign bodies etc.

The Internet will yield assorted information about our politicians if you constantly do a YAHOO or Google search, so let us all do private investigations and report to EFCC to indict or exonerate our politicans.

Join the EFCC Team!!!
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by dblock(m): 11:24am On Feb 16, 2007
The tread is okay. I am worried when people don't know that OBJ is using EFCC to witchunting his opponents

With opponents like Kalu, Atiku, Yar' Adua, IBB---. I'm not so sure I'm against it. wink
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by adconline(m): 6:59pm On Feb 16, 2007
Where is EFCC when Human Rights Watch wrote a  scathing corruption on Gov Odili.  A state that spends about$ 1.3 billion annually, yet does not have anything to show for it. I bet  Human Rights Watch is more reputable and unbiased than  that Administrative Panel

http://hrw.org/reports/2007/nigeria0107/

http://www.saharareporters.com/dn001.php?dnid=256

www.saharareporters.com/eLibrary

www.saharareporters.com/pnews

Where is Bode George on that list. Where is  Anthony Anenih whose ministry spent $3billion on Naija roads yet we have worst road network in the region. Where is Fasawe on that list? Where is Andy Uba who connived with the president to fly money in his jet to the US. If these people could  steal that much money, how much did OBJ and cohorts steal?  What has he done with over $180 Billion in  his 8years.  Who benefited from Pentascope deal worth millions of dollars?  Let  the fight against corruption be holistic. VP said something about his farm, he responded by saying the he borrowed money from a bank, I know that he stole the money from treasury because he had no money when he came out of prison. What is OBJ doing  to own a University, Library and 200 million shares at Transcorp? His annual salary is less than N20 million  a year.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by debosky(m): 7:02pm On Feb 16, 2007
I repeat, the list is not a comprehensive 'all in all' corruption list, its aim is to prevent corrupt candidates from contesting elections.

bode, odili and anenih are NOT candidates, and although we don't have details, Odili's presidential ambitions are said to have been scuttled by EFCC reports that he is corrupt. wait till they leave office and see if they will not be prosecuted.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by adconline(m): 7:09pm On Feb 16, 2007
@Debosky
Andy Uba please
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by McKren(m): 7:45pm On Feb 16, 2007
@ADCONLINE

I ADVICE YOU READ LESS OF SAHARAREPORTERS. THEY ARE TURNING INTO THE PROPAGANDA ARM OF TURAKI VANGUARD.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by IykeD1(m): 7:49pm On Feb 16, 2007
Do you guys really honestly think Obasanjo will loose sleep if Andy Uba was
included in EFCC's list? That the name was not included doesn't necessary
mean its because Ribadu is afraid of Andy Uba or afraid of incurring the wrath
of Obasanjo.

I will ask this question again, if Ribadu had no integrity and did not believe in
what he was doing, why on earth will he take on Atiku? For goodness sake
they are from the same place and you guys know Atiku or any of the opposing
parties for that matter will make Ribadu one of the richest man in Nigeria if he
was to "come out" and say that he is being coerced by Obasanjo to probe his
enemies. Why hasn't he done so if that was the case?

Has one heard lately from Ibori, Igbinedion, or Odili? You think any of these
characters have no more political ambitions? I think not, they and others like
them were stopped by the fear of Ribadu! Give credit where its due and stop
pretending as if the man assigned the deadly task of fighting corruption in
Nigeria is now worst than those who have systematically brought down the
country to its knees.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by IykeD1(m): 7:52pm On Feb 16, 2007
No - they quote saharareports as if its Bible!
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by alabiyemmy(m): 7:57pm On Feb 16, 2007
The polity itself is the problem - politicians are hiding behind the constitution to avoid being exposed as rogues and robbers. The point is this - is it right to allow people who are obviously corrupt to run for elections or seek higher offices in our country? The politicians are jittery that gone are the days of free for all looting of the treasury, hence they are shouting on the roof top and accusing EFCC of selective justice. Well, EFCC will not hound you if it doesnt have a case against you, agreed EFCC is a child of the PDP led government, but still, EFCC is doing a good job and should not be caricatured by the politicians to stop exposing their dubious and ill conceived intentions of aspiring to public offices as it had been the case in the past. Thus, the threat to democracy are the politicians themselves and not EFCC who is simply doing their job.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by shutmouth(m): 8:14pm On Feb 16, 2007
Thanks alabiyemmy,

Nigeria will be a better place if we all understand what is good for us all poor and not what is good for a few rich. This is the way Europeans think.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by McKren(m): 8:21pm On Feb 16, 2007
I seriously think Nigerians are not being fair to Ribadu, the guy has put his life at stake so that we may have a change and people are just talking. What police or judiciary could not achieve in over 50years he has achieved in 4years.

Tafa balogun had OBJ defending his interest until the last minute but yet Ribadu fought on.  Odili was almost compensated with VP by the PDP but Ribadu intercepted it. You want Andy Uba to be investigated// Tell me what Andy did that has no OBJ connotations to it cos he was OBJ's aid? You want Ribadu to probe OBJ? Funny.
There is a saying that a stream which does not recognise its source dries out quickly. Lets say hypothetically that Ribadu were to probe and bring down OBJ, Atiku will take over and trust me one of his first acts will be to either sack Ribadu or frustrate the EFCC. Which boss wants to engage in that gamble.

In fact I have said before that I wont bother posting on threads like this anymore because it is obvious that those who dont want to see anything good about the EFCC are those who wished the war on corruption was never fought. They are too ashamed to argue along the lines of what they believe in, they now resort to bullying the EFCC by picking holes in their activities.

Call it selective war or political vendatta or whatever, I think its finding Nigerian solution to Nigerian problems.

But the goodnews is, Ribadu does not care what corrupt people make of him. He is not even afraid of dieing tomorrow but what matters to him is how history will remember him. And I tell you what a lot of Nigerians will tell their grandchildren about him.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by adconline(m): 8:31pm On Feb 16, 2007
MCkren,
I don't read saharareporters  to attack OBJ,  but to collaborate my story and expand my views. The issue here is that Ribadu can go against Atiku not OBJ  and his cohorts.  I think we Nigerians have low benchmarks if any for corruption.  EFCC cannot circumvent the rules to nail OBJ opponents.  That's why we saw something wrong in  Atiku and co and did not/ will not see anything in OBJ and co. Corruption is  corruption, there can never be sacred cows.  That's my point. Bythe way I will trust them more Mr Frank Nweke.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by adconline(m): 8:41pm On Feb 16, 2007
Even in America, FBI cannot say that someone is guilty of a crime without prosecuting that person. EFCC should step up the play and prosecute these people. EFCC has resorted to convicting people in the court of public opinion. Let there some precedents that will be laid down by EFCC. Injustice to one is injustice to all. My pain is that Andy Uba is the most unqualified person to be a governor, yet he's free.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by McKren(m): 8:50pm On Feb 16, 2007
Andy Uba will not be Governor of Anambra mark my words.
EFCC has not said they are guilty of any crime, they have only advised INEC and the public of people who have questions to answer. Talking about convicting people in the court of public opinion, its also obtainable in the US. Go and research how the "Megan's Law" works in the US and tell me how that is different from what the EFCC has done on this occassion.

Besides that, its not compulsory a method of fighting corruption must be approved in the US before we practice it. We have perculiar problems that can never be solved by textbook democracy.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by debosky(m): 8:58pm On Feb 16, 2007
@ adconline he said he has indictable evidence against them, he hasn't declared them guilty.

sacred cows is an important issue, but the imperative now is not proving Obj is a criminal or not, there will be lots of time for that after May 29th.

The burning issue now is to prevent corrupt people from getting into government. EFCC cannot prosecute every single case of corruption, but we

must do whatever is necessary to safeguard the future of this nation, if Atiku wants to take over and he is corrupt, the Answer is NO!

OBj will have his day, just you wait.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by IykeD1(m): 11:01pm On Feb 16, 2007
How did you guys think the FBI was able to bust the MAFIA and curtail its menace
to the American society? Do you think they followed the same methods they will
use if they were investigating petty crimes? No - they used strong arm tactics if they
had to. Have you heard of the US "federal witness security protection" program?
That is the program that criminals enter in the US if they "assist" the government
in convicting fellow criminals.

The way it works even if you were in the mafia and have killed lots of people and
committed other heinous crimes, the government will provide you and your family
protection and with new identities in exchange for your testimonies against other
fellow mafias. Now, why it may not seem fair on the surface because of the crimes
of some of the people being sheltered, the program has come to stay because of its
far reaching impact in enabling the government to bring down the mafia and other
organized crimes. Its so bad that in some cases, the government will turn a blind eye
to crimes that you are actively committing just because of the agreement you have
signed.

How did they get there? You think there wasn't some trial runs before it was finally
legitimized and codified into law? Some of the laws and practices that we admire so
much about the American society, did we think they woke up and thought it all out
one day? No - they evolved. If it produced the right results and was for the greater
good of the society, you bet, it will find its way into the laws of the land.

But in far away Nigeria,
The EFCC invites Adenuga for questioning, he dodges them. They show on his door
steps, are blocked by security guards, and alas we are so concerned about the EFCC
high-handedness because that they broke down his gates to gain entry

The EFCC inivites Kalu's mom for questioning, she dodges. The EFCC shows up at her
residence to arrest her. Her security begin to unload live ammunition on them, they
return fire, and alas we shout down the EFCC.

The EFCC feeds INEC with an advisory list of office aspirants that have cases to answer
(no one is convicted yet). What do we hear? But what about Adedibu, or Akala, or Bode
George? I suppose we would have loved for them to be quiet so certified looters can
ease their way into the respective offices to begin another round of looting, right? I
guess that's the kind of justice Nigerians love.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by alabiyemmy(m): 12:16am On Feb 17, 2007
Thanks Iyke-D.

I am so amazed at my fellow Nigerians. When it is right to quote the constitution to protect themselves, the politicians gladly do so, but they can never use the same constitution when the issue at hand is against them. I think this time, we dont just have a barking dog, we have a dog that will take you down and drag you all the way.
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by lewa(m): 3:30am On Feb 17, 2007
EFCC must show itself to be fair and not Baba PDP's attack dog!Searchlight must be beamed to eveyone, no sacred cow!OK, let me be serious there are sacred goats in our polity-Odili, Ibori,Daniel, Adedibu, Akala, Agagu what has EFCC done?
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by IykeD1(m): 7:33am On Feb 17, 2007
I agree, there shall be no sacred cows. But I will take the job Ribadu has done so far
any day - and he deserves praise for risking is life, not condemnation. If there wasn't
the fear of having to contend with Ribadu, can anyone imagine how much the country
would have been dispossessed by these political thieves? Does the constitution afford
more protection for individual rights than it affords protection of the nation's treasury?

@lewa

Most of these names you have mentioned currently enjoy immunity. If he moves in on
them, you will be among those condemning him for not obeying the laws of the land.
What gives? Also, where does Adedibu factors in here, is he an elected official? Is he
running for any office? You people expect Ribadu to bring every single individual that
has committed fraud or looted the treasury in a country where fraud and corruption has
become a national export. Yet you expect him to be picking up miscreants like Adedibu
as if the EFCC is the only law enforcement agency in the country. To top it off, he must
observe every laid down law, work around the corrupt courts and produce results at the
same time!
Re: EFCC is A Threat To Democracy by lewa(m): 1:26pm On Feb 17, 2007
@lewa

Most of these names you have mentioned currently enjoy immunity. If he moves in on
them, you will be among those condemning him for not obeying the laws of the land.
What gives? Also, where does Adedibu factors in here, is he an elected official? Is he
running for any office? You people expect Ribadu to bring every single individual that
has committed fraud or looted the treasury in a country where fraud and corruption has
become a national export. Yet you expect him to be picking up miscreants like Adedibu
as if the EFCC is the only law enforcement agency in the country. To top it off, he must
observe every laid down law, work around the corrupt courts and produce results at the
same time!
Interesting Iyke-D!
Permit me to quote some of my earlier remarks on EFCC!
quote author=lewa link=topic=29182.msg682448#msg682448 date=1162362511]
I have said it on some similar thread and on other related topics-NOTHING WORKS IN NIGERIA,apart from NAFDAC and EFCC.
quote author=lewa link=topic=11099.msg665166#msg665166 date=1161205115]
Yerima is an intolerant religious bigot-demolished churches and built mosques on them.He has constantly denied southerners the choice of paying the same school fees as the Zamfara natives. He foisted sharia on non believers and flagrantly went against the directive of FG to stop sharia propagation.FG had to back down so as to aviod the asinine fellow from sending almajiris to kill,plunder and rape innocent southerners. He gets FG allocation which directly comes from the S/S and yet discriminates against southerners.How much has his barren state generated?What has been his own contribution to national development?What has he done in 8 years for the people of Zamfara?Can he strip himself of the constitutional immunity he enjoys now and address the charges levied against him by EFCC
quote author=lewa link=topic=27393.msg662043#msg662043 date=1161035759]
Alamaseigha, Ladoja and Fayose all derserve what happened to them.We are still waiting for Dariye, Ibori.Lucky,Yerima
Orji and the rest. EFCC congrats

Iyke-D!I really support the EFCC,and is a fan of the "unconventional methods"used at times by them to get these rogues!However if Shekarau, Kalu, Tinubu are on the EFCC list as serving governors what of Akala, Agagu and Adedidubu who Ribadu publicly said at the Ivory tower at Ibadan that he should be brought to book for graft!What of Daniel who Baba PDP said he "was a known devil" but rather would still support him?
What of Lanre Tejuosho-first foray into politics,never has been a contractor or politician, yet as a senatorial opponent to Iyabo OBJ,his name was on the list before it was removed after a lot of noise?
I sincerely believe Nuhu means fair but he ought to be careful of OBJ who i know decided who was to be on the list or not.He ought to be fair and be independent so that the few success he has wouldnot be eroded away by acts as this.There should be no sacred cow________,goat i mean!

(1) (Reply)

Ehindero Indicted, Obaniyi For Sack •yar’adua Receives Report / ( Shocking Video ) Is Nigeria A Failed State? / Better Efcc Strategy In Place To Effectively Tackle Corrupt Govt. Officials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.