Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,460 members, 7,819,678 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Country Singer Don Williams Dies At 78 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Country Singer Don Williams Dies At 78 (461 Views)

Lari Williams Dies At 81 / Finally Singer Don Jazzy Introduces The Lady Carrying His Baby(photo) / BREAKING: Country Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Country Singer Don Williams Dies At 78 by gift3d(f): 9:40am On Sep 09, 2017
Country singer Don Williams has died at the age of 78 .
The late country star passed away after a “short illness ” on Friday 8th of September, 2017.

A press release from the singer’ s PR team confirmed his death, saying that funeral arrangements are pending .
In a statement Friday, Kyle Young , CEO of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville , Tennessee , said, “Don Williams offered calm , beauty , and a sense of wistful peace that is in short supply these days . “ His music will forever be a balm in troublesome times . ”

An internationally popular country star, Don was referred to as the “ Gentle Giant ” of country music and he earned 17 # 1 country hits throughout his career .

Some of his hits are ‘ I Believe in You , ’ ‘ Lord , I Hope This Day Is Good ’ , ‘ You ’ re My Best Friend ’ , ‘ Some Broken Hearts Never Mend ’ , and ‘ Till the Rivers All Run Dry ’ .
According to Rolling Stone magazine , Don Williams was born in Floydada , Texas , on May 27th , 1939 and was raised in Portland , Texas , where he learned guitar from his mother.

Music had always been close to his heart, as he entered his first talent contest — and won — at the age of three.
Williams played in a band with several friends during his teenage years , and started a family not too long after graduating high school , marrying his wife Joy in April 1960 .

Based in Nashville , the band earned two Top 40 tunes , “ I Can Make It With You ” and “ Look What You ’ ve Done , ” in late 1966 .

After the group disbanded , Williams landed back in Texas to sell furniture in his father’ s store before returning to Music City to embark on a solo career.
“ Cowboy” Jack Clement signed Williams as a songwriter to his Jack Music publishing company, where he recorded demos for songwriter- producer Allen Reynolds , who later went on to helm projects for Crystal Gayle and Garth Brooks, among many others .

When other artists proved reluctant to record Williams’ songs, Clement signed him as an artist to his JMI Records , releasing his first country single , “ Don ’ t You Believe , ” in 1972 . In 1974 , the label issued “We Should Be Together , ” which became the singer ’ s first Top Five hit .

Later that year, he scored the first of 17 Number One singles with the romantic “ I Wouldn ’ t Want to Live If You Didn ’ t Love Me . ”

Williams recorded his last studio album in 2014.

http://punchng.com/country-singer-don-williams-dies-at-78/

Re: Country Singer Don Williams Dies At 78 by gift3d(f): 9:45am On Sep 09, 2017
Re: Country Singer Don Williams Dies At 78 by olayinks007(m): 9:45am On Sep 09, 2017
Ohh country music legend is gone. Rest in peace man. Ur songs will 4ever remain evergreen.
Re: Country Singer Don Williams Dies At 78 by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 09, 2017
R.I.P

(1) (Reply)

Things You Dont Know About The Girl Child--mercy Johnson / Model Olajumoke Looks Stylish In New Photos / OMG!!! See What Cardi B Is Calling Her Fans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.