Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

If I Wasn’t A Senator, IG Idris’ Policemen Would Have Planted A Gun On Me — Misa - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / If I Wasn’t A Senator, IG Idris’ Policemen Would Have Planted A Gun On Me — Misa (586 Views)

Man Confronts Police Officer Who 'Planted' Marijuana In His Car / Chloe Davison Commits Suicide Because She Wasn’t Getting Enough Likes Online / Mustapha Adekunle 'Seigo': I Wasn’t Involved In Attack On MC Oluomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If I Wasn’t A Senator, IG Idris’ Policemen Would Have Planted A Gun On Me — Misa by millhouse: 9:10am On Sep 10, 2017
http://punchng.com/if-i-wasnt-a-senator-ig-idris-policemen-would-have-planted-a-gun-on-me-misau/

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Navy, Isa Misau, who is accusing the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, of being involved in a N120bn-security scandal, tells JOHN ALECHENU the role police play in entrenching corruption in Nigeria

Recently, you accused the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, of being involved in a financial scandal amounting to N120bn. What is the scope of the allegation and what evidence do you have?

I made that allegation because I know that oil companies, oil servicing companies, multinational companies, corporations, big hotels, embassies, oil marketers and private institutions dealing with the police pay for services rendered by the police and the amount is in the range of more than N10bn monthly, most of which goes into private pockets. I said if this money was collected legally and properly documented and accounted for, the police would be better for it. I suggested that instead of the police always complaining about the lack of operational funds, such money should be paid into the government’s coffers so that it can be appropriated. Apart from that, the police are about the only institution you hear that state governments donate vehicles and operational funds to. There should be a way to know what every state government is contributing or donating to various state police commands.

As we speak, there are no records. You don’t know what the Federal Capital Territory Command spends on the police; the same with Kaduna, Kano and elsewhere. You will only see on television that so-and-so state governor has donated 20 Hilux vehicles to a police command. What about operational vehicles budgeted annually by the Federal Government for police commands across the states? There is no state in Nigeria where a governor doesn’t give money to the police on a monthly basis. If we want to get rid of corruption, we must start by being accountable. If a state government is donating equipment to the police, there should be records – records should be kept at all levels. This will reduce waste because when the police come for appropriation at the National Assembly, we will be in a position to say, ‘Look, you were given 100 vehicles in Kaduna, 250 in Rivers and so on.’ As we speak, nobody can tell you the number of serviceable vehicles the police have because they are collecting vehicles and equipment from individuals, states and international donors. Even embassies pay monthly fees for special protection (by the police).

How do you know this?

I worked in diplomatic protection at some point.

How true is it that you and some of your colleagues are putting together a bill to legalise the collection of these fees?

Yes, we are working on a bill. We want a situation where, instead of these fees or levies going into individual pockets, they would be paid into government coffers so that government will have records of what is going to the police, so that it will help in the appropriation process. This money can be used to improve police training, housing and provide equipment to help the police become more efficient.

What is the genesis of your face-off with the police boss?

I was in the office of Senator Baba Kaka, who is the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Rules and Business, when a reporter saw me and said he heard that policemen are paying N500,000 for special promotions. I told them, ‘It is more than N500,000’ because some people called me and said it was even up to N2.5m. There and then, I put a call through to some people who are still in service and they confirmed this to the three of us (present) that the allegation was true and it was frustrating a lot of good people out of service. Even one of the people who spoke said if he had capital to start a business, he would have since left the service. The story was reported (in the media) and the Police High Command and the Police Service Commission became uncomfortable with the exposé.

Normally, it is the Inspector General of Police that makes recommendations which he sends to the PSC for approval. Special promotion is alien to the Police Act and the PSC guidelines. All officers in the Nigeria Police Force are also guided by civil service rules. Within these rules, promotions are based on merit. But most of the special promotions you have in the police today are given to policemen attached to politicians and other VIPs (very important persons). All the policemen and officers being killed in Maiduguri (Borno), Lagos, Port Harcourt (Rivers) and other troubled zones do not get considered for such promotions. When I granted that interview, they set up a funny panel headed by a retired assistant inspector general of police, who is also part of those involved in the whole thing (special promotions) – how can the IGP bring a retired AIG and make him head of a police unit to investigate police matters? The retired AIG sent one deputy commissioner (of police) and one other police officer to my office to engage me. They wanted to know the people who told me what I said. I told them that the people I spoke to are serving police officers and I cannot compromise their safety by giving up their names because I have to protect people who give me information. I have to protect my informants.

What steps did you take after the visit?
Re: If I Wasn’t A Senator, IG Idris’ Policemen Would Have Planted A Gun On Me — Misa by DickDastardLION(m): 9:12am On Sep 10, 2017
Nigerie police ... very dirty institution. Nothing compares to it in uncleanliness
Re: If I Wasn’t A Senator, IG Idris’ Policemen Would Have Planted A Gun On Me — Misa by Flatties: 9:17am On Sep 10, 2017
I agree with misau on this one
Re: If I Wasn’t A Senator, IG Idris’ Policemen Would Have Planted A Gun On Me — Misa by Fourwinds: 1:58pm On Sep 10, 2017
very dirty and corruption fill force

(1) (Reply)

Meet The 16 Year Old Boy Who Sold Arms To Gang That Killed Rev Father In Imo / police inspector Shoots Okadaman, 3 Others Over N50, Arrested (photos) / See How Cop Punches Lady Who Slapped Him While Being Ejected From A Stadium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.