Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) (14149 Views)

Kano Pillars Vs Enugu Rangers Ends In Violence (video) / Father Mbaka Anointed Rangers Players Before They Won Kano Pillars (Pics, Video) / Aiteo Cup Final: Kano Pillars 3 (2) Vs Rangers Int'l 3 (4) Full-time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by somehow: 6:36pm On Sep 11, 2017
I think 10-12(I actually meant clubsides)
DangotePikin:
please how many top basketball leagues do we have in Nigeria?
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by naptu2: 6:44pm On Sep 11, 2017
rman:

Lagos Islanders is not owned by Sound Sultan but Damoye Oyesiku. Sound Sultan is just an ambassador of the club.

NET Exclusive: How I got involved with Lagos Islanders – Sound Sultan

Posted on June 15 2015, at 07:34 am
By ‘Dayo Showemimo

Sound Sultan is spearheading a new direction in basketball in the country, adding some glamour and razzmatazz which didn’t exist to how the game is played and its administration at all levels.

News of his involvement in the game broke in September 2014 when it was reported that he had bought over popular basketball team, Lagos Islanders. In this exclusive interview with NET, he explains his true involvement with the team, adding that he just didn’t stumble into the game.

‘I played Basketball from 1991 till date. I was the basketball team captain of my secondary school and even my university, that’s the kind of prominent role I’ve always played, so for me right now it’s not out of place that I now invest in the game,’ he said.

Since he was this much involved, we queried why he didn’t take the game up as a career instead of music, and he said it was ‘because it wasn’t really viable and I used to get knocked down a lot by the bigger guys, moreso I had another talent that I could nurture which is music. But I never really left the corridors of basketball.’

For the first time, Sound Sultan explained that he’s not the sole owner of Lagos Islanders Basketball team as previously reported in the media; he says there are other partners.

‘This time around a group of young men came together with the aim of taking basketball in Nigeria to another level and get new converts to buy into the basketball industry. So for us, we have a man called Damoye who was the incumbent owner of the team, we have Ugo Udeze, Tajudeen Sulaiman and myself. I actually used to play for Dordan Warriors. So we all came together like Voltron and we all have our strong points.

Damoye has owned the team for the past 8 years and he understands the politics involved in the industry and he guides us in the right direction, Ugo Udeze is the only certified African Agent in the NBA as one of us, he understands the level at which the NBA operates and can infuse into the Nigerian industry as well.’

You could have been part of any other team, why Lagos Islanders, we asked and the Naija Ninjaz boss said: ‘Well, I’m resident in Lagos, the fact that the ‘Lagos’ name is in it is another factor and we’ve not even gone the route of getting Lagos to sponsor us yet.’

He however declined to respond to our question on how much he personally invested in the team.

‘If you look at me I don’t ever put monetary values on anything I do because you can’t monetise me. For me, whatever I do be it my cars, house, I don’t have to tell you how much I bought it because it’s passion driven.’

http://thenet.ng/2015/06/net-exclusive-how-i-got-involved-with-lagos-islanders-sound-sultan/

Sound Sultan Explains Why He Bought Into Basketball Team, Lagos Islanders

Singer Sound Sultan has spoken about his involvement with basketball franchise, Lagos Islanders.

In September 2014, the team’s owner, Akinseku Damoye had revealed that the Bushmeat singer would be joining the team’s owners.

In an interview with NET, Sultan confirmed that he was just a part of the owners, not the sole owner.

“This time around a group of young men came together with the aim of taking basketball in Nigeria to another level and get new converts to buy into the basketball industry. So for us, we have a man called Damoye who was the incumbent owner of the team, we have Ugo Udeze, Tajudeen Sulaiman and myself. I actually used to play for Dordan Warriors. So we all came together like Voltron and we all have our strong points. Damoye has owned the team for the past 8 years and he understands the politics involved in the industry and he guides us in the right direction, Ugo Udeze is the only certified African Agent in the NBA as one of us, he understands the level at which the NBA operates and can infuse into the Nigerian industry as well.”

He however didn’t say how much he put into the team, saying he did it for the passion and not monetary value.

“If you look at me I don’t ever put monetary values on anything I do because you can’t monetise me. For me, whatever I do be it my cars, house, I don’t have to tell you how much I bought it because it’s passion driven.”

The franchise has attracted a lot of interest since Sultan joined the team, with celebrities like Ice Prince, Agbani Darego and Caroline Danjuma having been spotted at the team’s Landmark Centre.

https://www.360nobs.com/2015/06/sound-sultan-explains-why-he-bought-into-basketball-team-lagos-islanders/

1 Like

Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by 8stargeneral: 6:56pm On Sep 11, 2017
Welcome to kuala lumpur,wish u guys success
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by naptu2: 7:00pm On Sep 11, 2017
toyinjimoh:
So kano pillars get basket ball team, nice one

There was a period (around 2013, 2014, 2015) when Kano Pillars dominated both the Glo Premier League (football) and the DSTV Basketball League in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by rman: 7:11pm On Sep 11, 2017
somehow:
I think 10-12(I actually meant clubsides)

Kwese league for men

Zenth league for women

Then the lower divisons (Div 1 and 2)

The top league for has two conferences of 8 teams each

while the women is not split into conferneces but olayed in phases until a winner emerges. There were 5 phases last season and First Bank club won the women league
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by naptu2: 7:15pm On Sep 11, 2017
rman:

Kwese league for men

Zenth league for women

while the women is not split into conferneces but olayed in phases until a winner emerges. There were 5 phases last season and First Bank club won the women league

First Bank are the powerhouse of the women's game, just like Kano Pillars is in the men's game.

This year's league is kind of strange to me because quite a few of my favourite teams from the 1980s and 1990s are not in the premier league. There's no Lagos Islanders, Ebun Comets or Dodan Warriors.
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by rman: 7:19pm On Sep 11, 2017
naptu2:

http://thenet.ng/2015/06/net-exclusive-how-i-got-involved-with-lagos-islanders-sound-sultan/

https://www.360nobs.com/2015/06/sound-sultan-explains-why-he-bought-into-basketball-team-lagos-islanders/

Sound Sultan does not own Islanders forget the claims in the artucle he is someone I know very well.

When ABL was formed, he was one of the celebritues that was used to promote the league. I hope u know that years back, before his music career blossomed, he tried out for Dodan Warriors and did not make the final cut. His nick name then was "Effedrin". He later became a warriors ambassador and do grace their games.
Since he is a musician that loves basketball, they call on him a lot.
The ABL chnaged to CBL and Sound Sultan's club was Eko Kings because Islanders did not participate.

Islanders was formed years back and Mr Toyin Soniki was the coach and proprietor until 2004 when he quit the stage.
Damoye Oyeshiku bought the club and retained the name till today. Everyone very close to and follows Nigerian basketball knows all these.

FYI, I once captained Islanders and played for Nigeria and four different clubs before retirement. I am still very much involved till today..
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by secretaryabdul(m): 7:23pm On Sep 11, 2017
Keep up the good job my hommies.
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by rman: 7:23pm On Sep 11, 2017
naptu2:

First Bank are the powerhouse of the women's game, just like Kano Pillars is in the men's game.

This year's league is kind of strange to me because quite a few of my favourite teams from the 1980s and 1990s are not in the premier league. There's no Lagos Islanders, Ebun Comets or Dodan Warriors.

Comets was relegated. They are in div one and played last season and will compete this year.

Islanders, Union bank now Stallion boys and Dodan warriors were victims of Nigerian basketball politics for partucipating in the ABL.

All these teams still exist and with a new NBBF board , majority of them will return as most of the owners of this clubs now have their cronies on the new board.
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by somehow: 7:27pm On Sep 11, 2017
Oh thanks, i was actually thinking it was a combined league of 10-12 clubs.
rman:

Kwese league for men

Zenth league for women

Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by Assensio(m): 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2017
dem no go reach anywhere sef
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by naptu2: 7:30pm On Sep 11, 2017
rman:

Comets was relegated. They are in div one and played last season and will compete this year.

Islanders, Union bank now Stallion boys and Dodan warriors were victims of Nigerian basketball politics for partucipating in the ABL.

All these teams still exist and with a new NBBF board , majority of them will return as most of the owners of this clubs now have their cronies on the new board.

I know that they all exist. I mean that they are not in the premier league. I'm used to watching them compete in the premier league. I've been closely following Nigerian basketball since 1985 and a relative of mine played for YMCA and NEPA in the league from 1987 till he got injured c1992. I know Noik, Colonel Ahmedu (Musa Ahmadu is Colonel Ahmedu's protégé), Lati and all of them.
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by DangotePikin: 7:42pm On Sep 11, 2017
naptu2:

Just one, the Kwese Premier League (and its lower divisions) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Premier_League_(basketball) ) . Winners of the Kwese Premier League play in the FIBA Africa Clubs Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_Africa_Clubs_Champions_Cup ).

However, in 2016 some of the most famous clubs created a new African league (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Basketball_League ) . The clubs included Lagos Islanders (partly owned by Sound Sultan), Lagos Warriors (of the Dodan Warriors/Dodan Barracks Basketball programme) and Stallions (Union Bank). Clubs from Senegal, Ivory Coast and Gabon were also involved in the league.

They then sought permission from the Nigerian Basketball Federation to play in both their new league and the Nigerian league. The NBBF told them that they should have sought permission before creating the league. They said that they had the permission of FIBA Africa, but FIBA Africa wrote to the NBBF that they never gave permission for the new league to hold. Then the NBBF indefinitely suspended all the Nigerian teams that took part in the new league.
thanks for the comprehensive reply. I have a better understanding now.
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by rman: 7:44pm On Sep 11, 2017
naptu2:

I know that they all exist. I mean that they are not in the premier league. I'm used to watching them compete in the premier league. I've been closely following Nigerian basketball since 1985 and a relative of mine played for YMCA and NEPA in the league from 1987 till he got injured c1992. I know Noik, Colonel Ahmedu (Musa Ahmadu is Colonel Ahmedu's protégé), Lati and all of them.

Maybe you know me sef ..interesting
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 11, 2017
toyinjimoh:
So kano pillars get basket ball team, nice one

lols

Anyway see the basket ball teams in Nigeria

SAVANNAH CONFERENCE

Mark Mentors (Abuja)
Bauchi Nets B.C.(Bauchi)
Kano Pillars (Kano)
Defenders (Abuja)
Plateau Peaks (Jos)
Gombe Bulls (Gombe)
Niger Potters (Minna)
Kada Stars (Kaduna)

ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

Oluyole Warriors (Ibadan)
Delta Force (Asaba)
Hoops And Read (Lagos)
Nigeria Customs (Lagos)
NAF Rockets (Lagos)
Police Baton (Lagos)
Kwara Falcons Basketball Club (Ilorin)
Royal Hoopers Basketball Club (Port-harcort)

Don't even know if Ebun comets exist now.

The top teams in Africa are

Egypt,Angola,Mali,Senegal,Tunisia, Algeria,Nigeria, ivory coast
Re: Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) by toyinjimoh(m): 10:22pm On Sep 11, 2017
danjumakolo:

lols

Anyway see the basket ball teams in Nigeria

SAVANNAH CONFERENCE

Mark Mentors (Abuja)
Bauchi Nets B.C.(Bauchi)
Kano Pillars (Kano)
Defenders (Abuja)
Plateau Peaks (Jos)
Gombe Bulls (Gombe)
Niger Potters (Minna)
Kada Stars (Kaduna)

ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

Oluyole Warriors (Ibadan)
Delta Force (Asaba)
Hoops And Read (Lagos)
Nigeria Customs (Lagos)
NAF Rockets (Lagos)
Police Baton (Lagos)
Kwara Falcons Basketball Club (Ilorin)
Royal Hoopers Basketball Club (Port-harcort)

Don't even know if Ebun comets exist now.

The top teams in Africa are

Egypt,Angola,Mali,Senegal,Tunisia, Algeria,Nigeria, ivory coast

thanks for d info

(1) (2) (Reply)

Share Your Experience(s) At A Football Viewing Centre / Chelsea Reject £35m Offer From Real Madrid For Thibaut Courtois / A Nigerian's Open Letter To Oscar Pistorius.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.