Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities (25028 Views)

Lost My Job Today, After Few Months Of Employment / National Directorate Of Employment (NDE) Nationwide Job Recruitment 2020/2021 / NNPC Commenced Issuence Of Provisional Offers Of Employment To 1050 GT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Sezua(m): 10:34am On Sep 12, 2017
zubino:
I laugh at some individuals with no work experience making comparisons here.
some of u who are accounting graduates don't even know that it is mainly Economists and statisticians that occupy that planning commissions of the public sector. They are behind the budget planning of the government, they also play other important roles in the public sector which include advising the executive, proper checks on M&E systems etc.
Just like the Accountants, Economists are noble and also occupy key roles in the public sector. If u really wish to understand how this works , pls visit the public sector where recruitment is based on area of specialization. To summarize, both courses are noble and important. If I must choose, I will prefer to study Economics, ....my reason is simply with hardwork I can still professionalise in Accounting.
Today I m happy to say that I read Economics and work as a planning officer. I m also undertaking ICAN and i m also in final stage.
Please, let me ask a very straight forward questions. Accountants or Economists whoa are more employed by the public sector?
Even the Planning commissions of the public sector have accountants. Does the Agency for Woman affairs have roles for economists? Your argument is flawed.

1 Like

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Sezua(m): 10:35am On Sep 12, 2017
Beenkay:

it's cos they're in Nigeria that's why they end up becoming accountants... leave the shores of Nigeria, some accountants end up as economists
Lots of economists in the US and Uk are writing ACCA, some are even making payments and studying KAPLAN as i type this.
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Sezua(m): 10:37am On Sep 12, 2017
dolphinife:

Yeye

An economist can still work as an accountant

Can accountant work as an economist?? Very rare.....thats the diversity you have when you study economics.....Accountancy as a course is shallow.....while economics is broader
We are talking about Job opportunities not broader, understand the question first then you can give a reasonable answer backed with facts.
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Pierr(f): 10:42am On Sep 12, 2017
Sezua:
In the whole world-Accounting. All these people shouting Economics i just wonder what point you have to back it up. Every reasonable company has an accounting department, or at least something similar to that. Ministries, Agencies, Schools and even Churches have an accounting department. So I don't even understand what these people are talking about.
A lot of people who graduated as Economists still end up becoming accountants.

Well said
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Sezua(m): 10:51am On Sep 12, 2017
Pierr:

I regret studying Economics. A waste of 6 years in school. Nothing you can do with that poo course except to saddle yourself with masters. With just my ICAN Foundation certificate (I passed all courses in one sitting), I received 4 interview/test invites in two weeks of applying.

People without knowledge of anything will just be giving bad advice.

Economics is just a set of misplaced theories and principles that leads us to nowhere.
I jokingly told my friend one day
Economics is like Maths, many theories less application
Accounting is like Engineering, lesser theories more application.
i may be wrong tho.

But 6years for Economics? ASUU was definitely involved in your matter.
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Pierr(f): 10:53am On Sep 12, 2017
Sezua:

i may be wrong tho.

But 6years for Economics? ASUU was definitely involved in your matter.

Definitely.
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Pierr(f): 10:56am On Sep 12, 2017
Sezua:

i may be wrong tho.

What! You are right!
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Austinmiles: 10:58am On Sep 12, 2017
DKOKO3:
I stand to be corrected. The best of Economists in the world never read Economics or any course related to it.

It boils down on interest. Your flair to a particular cause.
The best of economists in the world
Tell me you're joking.. Cos this the dumbest comment I've seen this year.
Try again OK...

Economics all the way
We run the world...
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by EbenMayor(m): 11:16am On Sep 12, 2017
In Terms Of Employment Opportunities, accounting is far better & even much easier to study. I studied economics at both Bsc & Msc with a wonderful transcript. But getting a job that requires pure economics knowledge is difficult my guy. But there's a way out if you re not lazy, you could combine your Bsc Economics and ICAN
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Austinmiles: 11:16am On Sep 12, 2017
[quote author=ibbryte post=60368841][color=#006600]was in the same dilemma when i applyIng for admission years ago,i chose accounting.

Being a professional course there is degree of prestige associated with being an accountant, it take a high level of dedication, patience,dillgence and integrity to be an accountant.

In my school then, if an accounting applicant does not get a high enough putme you may be diverted to economic but it never happens the other way around.
This year accounting was one of the first 3 most sought after course, According to jamb's Database.

In terms of job opportunities accountants are sought after with aggressively, with lucrative options due to the practicality of the course.Accounting have evolved greatly From recording and classifying to evaluation and analysis.
Management knowledge inherent in the accounting profession is applicable anywhere especially with the globalization and harmonization of accounting standard (IFAC AND IFRS),you can decide to work for an employer or start your own business.

Economics is more of a theoretical course with little or no real lIfe applications, "ceteri paribus" "perfect market conditions" are all utopic terms, or economy is far from perfect. Not undermining these theory accountant regard some but when it balls down to pragmatism ,accounting is the way to go.

Half of the population taking AAT and ICAN courses are all economics students, do a survey.
it brings to mind the saying " if you can't beat them, you join them".

Looking forward to welcoming you to the fold.[/coloeconomist

Nice comment.
But I think you don't have much knowledge on economics..its obvious from what you said. Do you really think economics is a theoritical course that has little implications on realities
Do you know that the economy and finances of every nation around the world is based on the analysis and policies of economists Do you know that economists serves as financial doctors that prescribes economic solutions to any nation around the world.

Have you ever ask yourself why the economy and finances of a nation is being headed by economists and not the accountants...
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by muzzol: 11:25am On Sep 12, 2017
Most people replying the OP sounds like fresh graduates fighting for bragging rights over their discipline of interest....however, in the real world, both courses are bedrock of employability...the key thing is you and not the certificate you carry....note, nobody employs the certificate, whom is employed is the carrier of the certificate. As per adaptability, normally, in an organisation, you are taken through management training and your ability to endear yourself through this will contribute to your relevance within the organisation....my advise, go for the course where you have comparative advantage of excelling, obtain relevant certifications and grab all available knowledge of the world you live in...the everest top will be your lowest.
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Davidscott(m): 11:27am On Sep 12, 2017
economics is the best

1 Like

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by SmartyPants(m): 11:34am On Sep 12, 2017
In theory there are very few jobs where true economic skills are needed, and these are mostly in government, International Organizations. Economics graduates can fit in a number of jobs but then whats the point of studying something for four years only so that you can fit in in an alternate area?

Accounting not only has a lot more job openings, it also gives you much more leverage for self-employment. You can set up your own firm or work as a consultant. Most economists would die of hunger if they tried this.
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by JOEFY: 11:54am On Sep 12, 2017
seunpinky:
my opinion as an accounting graduate and chartered accountant,i wud suggest u study economics for ur b.Sc and write ur Ican exams along with it. this gives u an advantage of applying for social science jobs and also accounting jobs. trust me any1 can b an accountant by just passing Ican. so why use 4 years 2 study accounting wen u can just write Ican and bcome a chartered accountant. u can also ask experienced folks like jarus..

How did you become a CA with such grammatical errors... this can be seen as bringing the profession into disrepute.... *with all due respect*
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Habeyy(m): 12:17pm On Sep 12, 2017
seunpinky:
my opinion as an accounting graduate and chartered accountant,i wud suggest u study economics for ur b.Sc and write ur Ican exams along with it. this gives u an advantage of applying for social science jobs and also accounting jobs. trust me any1 can b an accountant by just passing Ican. so why use 4 years 2 study accounting wen u can just write Ican and bcome a chartered accountant. u can also ask experienced folks like jarus..
God bless the creativity in your brain
I am an economist and was also doing my Ican while in school
I plan to continue my ican stuff very soon.
Your comment is devoid of sentiment despite the fact you are an accounting graduate
What is the point of the course now when you can do ican
The same question I ask BFN student
That one is even worse
Thank you bro

2 Likes

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Habeyy(m): 12:21pm On Sep 12, 2017
SHOOPSYN:

What you don't know is, an economist can work in virtually all department of the 'any' organization. Morese, Accounting is a subset of Economics.
You finish him bro
Most of them don't know
During my Ats days
I touched virtually everything in accounting but it is always coming back to economics
Say tax, management,mathematics and government accounting
All na still economics
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Habeyy(m): 12:26pm On Sep 12, 2017
Adam09:
I am an economist, and a chartered accountant. But @op accounting is a profession while economics is a discipline. But to be honest with you, there is no course like economics. I just love the course. If I were you, I will go all out for economics.Thank me later.
i like your assertion my fellow economist
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by hamzeiy: 12:49pm On Sep 12, 2017
my sincere advise for you is this, and am talking from experience as i have graduate friends of both courses and are quite doing well, i hope youre are a smart person as this advice would only work for a smart person.
go for economics, try to graduate with 2.1, at 300 lvl try attempting ICAN and ensure you passed all your diets by the end of your NYSC, with that i can assure you,you wont spend more than a month or two at most in the labor market GOD,S willing. you can also go for CFA professional courses then with time you go for ACCA OR IS IT ACAA (not sure). though those exams might be xpensive but the hausa man says ' you use money to get money.
if you cant beat that at least get a 2.1 in economics and also be a chattered accountant by passing the ICAN, you would have kill to good and beautiful birds with a stone. hopefully no begging for jobs for you

1 Like

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Clergy20: 2:00pm On Sep 12, 2017
emmybliz:
economics, because an economist can also be an accountant, but an accountant cannot be an economist

Econonists are becoming Accountants because of the vast opportunities that abound in being an Accountant, if there were no such opportunities, you wouldn't see that traffic into accounting. But you will hardly find an Accountant crossing over to become an Economists
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Clergy20: 2:05pm On Sep 12, 2017
emmybliz:
economics, because an economist can also be an accountant, but an accountant cannot be an economist

And why not do your economics work and stop becoming an accountant? If you claim economics is better, remain there

1 Like

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Clergy20: 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2017
Most people are not responding properly to the question. It's assumed that the person wants the course that is more employable between the two courses. When people say you should read economics and become an accountant eventually, it points to the fact that accounting is more promising in terms of employment because the person would end up not practicing economics but accounting.

Let the ecomists practice economics and the accountant practice accounting and let's see who would be more employable
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by olujastro: 2:15pm On Sep 12, 2017
The Op asked a specific question.... "In terms of employment opportunities". So accounting is the answer.
I studied engineering and at this stage of my life, economics works better for me. My Engineering Economics courses at both bachelors and masters level are some of the best things to happen to my financial life.
Economics helps us forecast expected oil and gas (for example) revenues before making investment decisions. While accounting dwells more with digging the past. Who the past help abeg?
We talkin' future money to be made, you talkin' past money that is gone.
If you want to be an investor or you want to be super rich, study economics. If you want a job, study accounting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by BURG4326: 2:56pm On Sep 12, 2017
Accounting is far better. Lets put things in perspective. Amongst your course mates, how many that are employed read ACC and how many read EC? Compare same in your village, town, city, state etc. In your organization where you work, compare both in terms of numbers. in your church or mosque, compare both.

Lets narrow it further, in the schemes of service of the federation, what is d grade level of somebody with a Professional Accountancy Certificate n compare same with that of Economics.

Lets put it further, in Nigeria, we have d office of the auditor general of the federation and accountant general of the federation. what is d office of the chief economist of the nation?

Finally pls get it very clear that an Economist is never an Accountant and cannot assume d position. Unless d company is yours (sole proprietorship) and u decide to use your wife who read economics as ur Accountant but mind u she cannot sign any valid document like financial statement, statement of Affairs, tax documents etc

Institutions like CBN and Most banks a headed specifically by Accountants but im trying to think of any institution that must be exclusively headed by an Economist
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by me69: 3:11pm On Sep 12, 2017
What is even the link between economics and accounting
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by femi4love(m): 3:21pm On Sep 12, 2017
Icon4s:
What are more important here are:

Class of Grade you graduate with. A sociology graduate with 2.1 has a better job prospect than an accounting or Economics graduate with a 2:2.

How you apply yourself after school. Even with a 2.1 if you don't prepare yourself well enough for the job market you are not likely to get that dream job.

Diversity: How well can you adapt into various situations? Are you ready to dabble into any kind of field keeping aside what you studied in school? People who have a more open mindset do better here.

Finally, The Grace of God. Study anything you want you need the Grace of God to get that job.

Well done bro.

I studied accounting initially, before I went back to the Uni to study Computer Science. I remember when I was doing ICAN in Nigeria, the guys that had Economics as their first degree, who started from Foundation level were doing very well, most especially those with a first or 2.1.

I think the versatility of Economics may place place such graduates at a better advantage in analyzing economic situations, better than Accounting graduates. In courses like Financial Management (FM), you need more than an Accounting or Finance brain to do Financial analysis and make good recommendations and I think that's why Economics is part of the courses studied in Accounting.

Overall, I think a person's career aspirations will determine what is the better of both for him or her. However, if I could turn back the "hands of time" I would study Economics as first degree and then go for Accounting professional qualifications.

4 Likes

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Zionprincess(f): 3:33pm On Sep 12, 2017
yaqq:
Accounting! u will be employable almost everywhere! the motive for every organisation, company, industry, government agencies is to make profit! an accountant make all ds possible! In fact accounting is way better than engineering in Nigeria

I am sure you know nothing about Economics

1 Like

Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by bardiprecious: 3:40pm On Sep 12, 2017
all of una no get work....if u like study sheet science ....na ur destiny and grace dey bring good job
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by oyejideogunjumo: 3:50pm On Sep 12, 2017
wallace1:
Hello, fellow nairalanders,
Between Economics and Accounting,which one is better in terms of employment opportunities in Nigeria? Please lets share our views!!
Accounting is a professional course bt Economics is a basic course.
Accounting has more potentials than economics.
Accounting is better.
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Yemhey(m): 4:21pm On Sep 12, 2017
DKOKO3:
I choose not to react not because I am a coward but because, silence is the best answer for a fool like you; who have failed to Learn, Relearn and Unlearn.

Why can't you bury your stupendous ignorance rather than coming here to display show of shame?

Well, I will list some of them to you while you wrestle with your folly.

Karl Marx

Adam Smith.

Read their biographies, they never read Economics.

Some of them read Pure Mathematics.
What's now the concluded opinion now?
Re: Economics Vs Accounting,which One Is Better In Terms Of Employment Opportunities by Yemhey(m): 4:24pm On Sep 12, 2017
DKOKO3:
I choose not to react not because I am a coward but because, silence is the best answer for a fool like you; who have failed to Learn, Relearn and Unlearn.

Why can't you bury your stupendous ignorance rather than coming here to display show of shame?

Well, I will list some of them to you while you wrestle with your folly.

Karl Marx

Adam Smith.

Read their biographies, they never read Economics.

Some of them read Pure Mathematics.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Recruitment Into Various Positions / AIICO Test And Interview Invitation / Ecobank Has Started Inviting Successful Applicants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.