Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,218 members, 7,811,607 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? (468 Views)

Atiku Is A Case Study On Corruption In USA By Homeland Security. Pics / Atiku: Unlike Buhari, I Will Appoint My Cabinet In One Day If Elected President / Herdsmen Werent Labelled Terrorists, They Are Criminals Unlike IPOB- Garba Shehu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? by Heloct(f): 11:38am On Sep 12, 2017
I thought my malaria was gone and that I was perfectly fit for resumption but alas, malaria had a mind of his own. I resumed early to school and the lodge was still kind of deserted. Just when I was getting to settle down for the new semester, malaria told me we got scores to settle. I got ready for a usual night rest. Had my sweat jacket on, took my drugs and I covered myself with a blanket. I was hopeful for a nightmare free night since I was sleeping alone.

I woke up in the night to see myself shivering. I tried to bring my body under control but failed. It was so bad and I felt my heart freezing. I was losing it and I was afraid. I tried so hard to grip my phone to see if I could be fortunate enough to call someone over but the attempt failed. Then, I left my bed, pulled on my socks and took two pills of the paracetamol lying on the table. Anything, I mean anything to just keep me from freezing till morning. I went back sluggishly to my bed and embraced my blanket. I shivered for about twenty more minutes before I started sweating. I never felt so uncomfortable my whole life. I was sweating and cold at a time. I've stopped shivering. I was better and I endured till day break.

I woke up only with the intention of going to the health centre. I was weak but not trampled. I got tested and met with a Doctor. I would be taking five doses of chloroquine and puritine injections because my throat had become sore from swallowing drugs. The chloroquine injection wasn't available at the health centre so I would have to get it outside the school. I tried the local pharmacies around and none had it in store. I called a friend because I really needed help. We got a taxi and went to a busy pharmacy store in town. The service was quick and cheap and we were out in minutes. I couldn't just wait to get rid of the malaria so we boarded a taxi and headed straight for school. At a popular junction close to school, the taxi picked up a young man who held a plastic Cocacola bottle. The young man wore a decent short and a well buttoned shirt. He had a normal haircut and would pass off as a responsible student. He made himself comfy at the front seat.

Taxi man suddenly halted when it was few minutes to get to the school gate and he went out of the taxi leaving the passengers stranded. "Hey, bro, what's up?" My friend who was sitting beside me asked what was on our mind. There was one other guy by my left hand side. "He probably stopped to ease himself." I answered for the driver and just before I had my mouth shut, I got the glimpse of a gun beside the taxi window.

The young man at the front seat was ushered out of the taxi. A stern looking police guy came forward to search the front seat for probably, the young man's mobile phone. Not satisfied, he ordered my friend and the other guy out of the taxi and I was left alone in the taxi. He searched the back seat while I was still sitting and I asked him if he would love me to step down too so he could search thoroughly in which he told me not to bother for it would be better than for me to have him shove me down with my malaria. He left dejectedly and asked the driver, "where is the phone he kept with you?" The driver replied he got nothing from the young man. The other guy who had been listening to songs way back before we picked the young man had his phone seized from him by these police guys. They claimed the young man passed the phone to him. Well, since I was in the taxi too, my malaria was kind enough to make me see that transferring of phone never took place. The stern-face police guy was not taking things easy with the young man now. I was alone in the back seat and I positioned myself very well to see every second of the unfolding scene.

"Wey your phone?" Barked stern-face police guy.

"I'm not with my phone." Young man said with courage.

"Wetin you go do for ATM?"

I laughed in my little comfort at the back seat. What a question. So, they've been shadowing the young man. Things are getting a little nasty now as we now have another police man who has had his hands squeezing the young man's shirt. Let us call this police guy 'rat-face' since he looked far from appealing.

"Wetin you go collect for ATM?" Rat-face shouted.

"Nothing." The young man said with resentment.

Whooz... Three slaps rested on the young man's face.

He was searched roughly and got hold of the ATM card on him.

"Wetin be your password?"

Like seriously? I just couldn't believe it.

"It's not mine. A friend sent me and you can't expect me to tell you his password."

Stern-face gave his gun to rat-face and started beating the young man with hidden anger and hatred. Serious beatings on the street . . . a school environment.

"Enter the motor." Quiet rat-face barked.

The young man vehemently refused. He was threatened to be handcuffed and dragged like a criminal if he refused to enter the police car. With more than enough beatings, he agreed to go with them to avoid further embarrassment.

But where to? To the ATM to check his account balance or to the police station to demand exorbitant price for his bail?

You can safely assume that they came after the young man because they've suspected him of fraudulent activities. But the level of harassment was too much. That was a very wrong way to go about it. I'm sure the police guys aren't after these young men to refrain them from crime but to take their own share of the crime proceeds.

Nigeria is still stranded at this age due to corruption. The law makers are the law breakers. They make money from these young men by harassing them, even hailing them. It's a shame. Nigeria's police force, especially,  continues to thrive in corruption.

As they drove the young man away, I just couldn't help but think about how pitiful Nigeria had become. But then, I had my malaria to worry about. I got around the painful injections and things got worse. Malaria took away it's shivers and gave a bitter mouth instead. Eating became a problem. I lost appetite for food and never went hungry. Two days after I finished the injection, I still couldn't eat. I got appetite enhancement drugs and the story remained the same. Took numerous lucozade boosts with no yielding result. I forced myself to eat but there was no joy in it. Then, I was advised to take a spicy food. I had Egusi prepared for me with Semovita. I ate solemnly and my appetite was restored. My health was fine and malaria had flee. Though I had lost weight and balance but I knew since malaria is gone, there is space for restoration.

But it saddens, however, that corruption in Nigeria can't be like malaria that would flee after being fought. The Nigerian government had taken tremendous steps to fight corruption but it keeps getting stronger. It's known that malaria kills but I didn't relent in killing it first before it caused me an irredeemable damage. I don't think we are really fighting corruption in Nigeria and if we are, then, we've given up or perhaps, we are giving up and oh, gosh, I pray Nigeria doesn't die.

How do we cure Nigeria?

Cc: Lalasticlala, Olawalebabs, Fynestboi, Richiez.

2 Likes

Re: Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? by lippincott(m): 6:45pm On Sep 14, 2017
There is still hope.

Wildly corrupt places like Hong Kong, Singapore, and Rwanda suppressed corruption effectively thanks to determined leadership. Botswana also did so as well. Nigeria could also follow if there's a willingness in every citizen to make a difference in their sphere of influence.

The “cure” sometimes takes decades and centuries, as in the case of Scandinavia, New Zealand, and Canada or much shorter periods of time as in Singapore and Hong Kong.

But there are real remedies, and they may not be as far fetched as we think. the mind set of the average youth in Nigeria is to get into power and use it to their own ends. Hence corruption is kind of a global plague that has infected every one in one way or the other. it is no longer the problem of those in power alone.

So unless each and every individual stands to do what is right... no matter how small it seems... the vicious cycle of corruption will continue.
Re: Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? by Heloct(f): 10:06pm On Sep 14, 2017
lippincott:
There is still hope.

Wildly corrupt places like Hong Kong, Singapore, and Rwanda suppressed corruption effectively thanks to determined leadership. Botswana also did so as well. Nigeria could also follow if there's a willingness in every citizen to make a difference in their sphere of influence.

The “cure” sometimes takes decades and centuries, as in the case of Scandinavia, New Zealand, and Canada or much shorter periods of time as in Singapore and Hong Kong.

But there are real remedies, and they may not be as far fetched as we think. the mind set of the average youth in Nigeria is to get into power and use it to their own ends. Hence corruption is kind of a global plague that has infected every one in one way or the other. it is no longer the problem of those in power alone.

So unless each and every individual stands to do what is right... no matter how small it seems... the vicious cycle of corruption will continue.

Hmm. I'm impressed.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? by lippincott(m): 10:40pm On Sep 14, 2017
Hmm. I'm impressed.. smiley[/quote]
Lol! The pleasure is mine ma'am �
Re: Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? by Papertrail11(m): 11:04pm On Sep 14, 2017
osibanjo and Buhari are both dull folks cos if they were smart they would have known that chasing after political pen robbers is stressful time-consuming and complicated since politicians have perfected their mastery of hiding assets cash et using fronts of all sorts......what they should have done is created anti corruption court situated in Lagos Abuja and major city centers providing justice for financial crimes and stuff but now no arrest has been less than a percentage of what was stolen has been recovered and stuff

another reason why I see buhari may. never attempt to end corruption is cos he has mingled with the elites so bad that it would be too emotional for him to take any draconian action against them turning their friendship into enimity
Re: Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? by babyfaceafrica: 11:07pm On Sep 14, 2017
You can't
Re: Unlike Malaria, How Do We Get To Cure Corruption In Nigeria? by Mup4life: 9:49pm On Sep 24, 2017
Heloct:
I thought my malaria was gone and that I was perfectly fit for resumption but alas, malaria had a mind of his own. I resumed early to school and the lodge was still kind of deserted. Just when I was getting to settle down for the new semester, malaria told me we got scores to settle. I got ready for a usual night rest. Had my sweat jacket on, took my drugs and I covered myself with a blanket. I was hopeful for a nightmare free night since I was sleeping alone.

I woke up in the night to see myself shivering. I tried to bring my body under control but failed. It was so bad and I felt my heart freezing. I was losing it and I was afraid. I tried so hard to grip my phone to see if I could be fortunate enough to call someone over but the attempt failed. Then, I left my bed, pulled on my socks and took two pills of the paracetamol lying on the table. Anything, I mean anything to just keep me from freezing till morning. I went back sluggishly to my bed and embraced my blanket. I shivered for about twenty more minutes before I started sweating. I never felt so uncomfortable my whole life. I was sweating and cold at a time. I've stopped shivering. I was better and I endured till day break.

I woke up only with the intention of going to the health centre. I was weak but not trampled. I got tested and met with a Doctor. I would be taking five doses of chloroquine and puritine injections because my throat had become sore from swallowing drugs. The chloroquine injection wasn't available at the health centre so I would have to get it outside the school. I tried the local pharmacies around and none had it in store. I called a friend because I really needed help. We got a taxi and went to a busy pharmacy store in town. The service was quick and cheap and we were out in minutes. I couldn't just wait to get rid of the malaria so we boarded a taxi and headed straight for school. At a popular junction close to school, the taxi picked up a young man who held a plastic Cocacola bottle. The young man wore a decent short and a well buttoned shirt. He had a normal haircut and would pass off as a responsible student. He made himself comfy at the front seat.

Taxi man suddenly halted when it was few minutes to get to the school gate and he went out of the taxi leaving the passengers stranded. "Hey, bro, what's up?" My friend who was sitting beside me asked what was on our mind. There was one other guy by my left hand side. "He probably stopped to ease himself." I answered for the driver and just before I had my mouth shut, I got the glimpse of a gun beside the taxi window.

The young man at the front seat was ushered out of the taxi. A stern looking police guy came forward to search the front seat for probably, the young man's mobile phone. Not satisfied, he ordered my friend and the other guy out of the taxi and I was left alone in the taxi. He searched the back seat while I was still sitting and I asked him if he would love me to step down too so he could search thoroughly in which he told me not to bother for it would be better than for me to have him shove me down with my malaria. He left dejectedly and asked the driver, "where is the phone he kept with you?" The driver replied he got nothing from the young man. The other guy who had been listening to songs way back before we picked the young man had his phone seized from him by these police guys. They claimed the young man passed the phone to him. Well, since I was in the taxi too, my malaria was kind enough to make me see that transferring of phone never took place. The stern-face police guy was not taking things easy with the young man now. I was alone in the back seat and I positioned myself very well to see every second of the unfolding scene.

"Wey your phone?" Barked stern-face police guy.

"I'm not with my phone." Young man said with courage.

"Wetin you go do for ATM?"

I laughed in my little comfort at the back seat. What a question. So, they've been shadowing the young man. Things are getting a little nasty now as we now have another police man who has had his hands squeezing the young man's shirt. Let us call this police guy 'rat-face' since he looked far from appealing.

"Wetin you go collect for ATM?" Rat-face shouted.

"Nothing." The young man said with resentment.

Whooz... Three slaps rested on the young man's face.

He was searched roughly and got hold of the ATM card on him.

"Wetin be your password?"

Like seriously? I just couldn't believe it.

"It's not mine. A friend sent me and you can't expect me to tell you his password."

Stern-face gave his gun to rat-face and started beating the young man with hidden anger and hatred. Serious beatings on the street . . . a school environment.

"Enter the motor." Quiet rat-face barked.

The young man vehemently refused. He was threatened to be handcuffed and dragged like a criminal if he refused to enter the police car. With more than enough beatings, he agreed to go with them to avoid further embarrassment.

But where to? To the ATM to check his account balance or to the police station to demand exorbitant price for his bail?

You can safely assume that they came after the young man because they've suspected him of fraudulent activities. But the level of harassment was too much. That was a very wrong way to go about it. I'm sure the police guys aren't after these young men to refrain them from crime but to take their own share of the crime proceeds.

Nigeria is still stranded at this age due to corruption. The law makers are the law breakers. They make money from these young men by harassing them, even hailing them. It's a shame. Nigeria's police force, especially,  continues to thrive in corruption.

As they drove the young man away, I just couldn't help but think about how pitiful Nigeria had become. But then, I had my malaria to worry about. I got around the painful injections and things got worse. Malaria took away it's shivers and gave a bitter mouth instead. Eating became a problem. I lost appetite for food and never went hungry. Two days after I finished the injection, I still couldn't eat. I got appetite enhancement drugs and the story remained the same. Took numerous lucozade boosts with no yielding result. I forced myself to eat but there was no joy in it. Then, I was advised to take a spicy food. I had Egusi prepared for me with Semovita. I ate solemnly and my appetite was restored. My health was fine and malaria had flee. Though I had lost weight and balance but I knew since malaria is gone, there is space for restoration.

But it saddens, however, that corruption in Nigeria can't be like malaria that would flee after being fought. The Nigerian government had taken tremendous steps to fight corruption but it keeps getting stronger. It's known that malaria kills but I didn't relent in killing it first before it caused me an irredeemable damage. I don't think we are really fighting corruption in Nigeria and if we are, then, we've given up or perhaps, we are giving up and oh, gosh, I pray Nigeria doesn't die.

How do we cure Nigeria?

Cc: Lalasticlala, Olawalebabs, Fynestboi, Richiez.
Hey digit is 090. just say hi or send ur digits to fe@gmail.com.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Army Disobey Eastern Governors As The Operation Python Dance Offi / Governor Rochas Okorocha To Empower Over 13,000 African Kids - Pictures / APC, El-rufai: Buhari Never Promised To Serve One Term

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.