Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,009 members, 7,810,799 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes (23202 Views)

Bizarre Giant Pig-Faced Shark Pulled Out Of The Water In Italy / Bizarre, Monstrous Half-Alligator Half-Fish Animal Spotted In Singapore (Pics) / Sturddlefish: Hungarian Scientists Accidentally Create Bizarre Hybrid Fish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by hotspec(m): 10:19pm On Sep 13, 2017
Let me start by saying that I dedicate this thread to one of the Mods for his irresistible passion for snakes, if that was true.

Scaly and scary
Snakes haunt our dreams and inhabit our mythology. They appear almost everywhere. Our fascination is no doubt fueled by the danger snakes pose, but it may also stem from the legless reptiles' improbable form. Evolution has gifted snakes with a variety of odd but clever body designs and adaptations. Below are 9 of the world's most bizarre snakes.

1. Langaha madagascariensis
This bizarre-looking snake, also known as the Malagasy leaf-nosed snake, is an arboreal species endemic to Madagascar. Their strange nasal appendage (pointy in the male, leaf-shaped in the female) may help them blend in with vines and branches or sight their prey, which they ambush. No one knows for sure. They are poisonous but not aggressive. Their bites are extremely painful but not life-threatening.

2. Flying snake
It sounds weird right? A flying snake! But these airborne serpents are real. (Don't believe it? Check out a video of it online.) They glide for stunning distances through the air (without actually flying) by leaping from tree branches. While airborne, they flare their ribs and suck in their abdomens to make themselves wider and more concave for better aerodynamics.

3. Desert horned viper
These snakes, which hail from Northern Africa and the Middle East, could be the reason the devil is often depicted with horns. The serpents' horns, which are modified scales, are retractable, allowing the snakes to burrow easily. Scientists aren't sure of the purpose of the horns, but they may help prevent the buildup of sand around the eyes.

4. Tentacled snake
This aquatic snake, a native of Southeast Asia, is the only species in the world to possess twin "tentacles" on its snout. Scientists speculate that the snake uses the tentacles as lures to attract tiny fish, its favorite prey, but they may also function as sensory organs that help them detect movement.

Source: https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/9-of-the-worlds-most-bizarre-snakes/scaly-and-scary#top-mobile

Lalasticlala

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by hotspec(m): 10:30pm On Sep 13, 2017
5. Barbados threadsnake
Endemic to the Caribbean island of Barbados, this threadsnake is the smallest snake species in the world, only 4 inches long and about as wide as a spaghetti noodle. You'd be forgiven for mistaking it for a tiny worm or grub crawling through the grass or under a rock. The snake's diet consists of termites and ant larvae.

6. Iridescent shieldtail
This species, found in the mountains of India, might be the world's most colorful serpent. It may also be one of the world's least known snakes, as only three specimens have been identified. Its iridescent back and belly are separated by a brilliant yellow stripe.

7. Iwasaki's snail-eater
You can probably guess what this snake eats, but it is an even more specialized hunter than its name implies. Not only does it eat only snails, but due to its highly unusual asymmetric jaws, it is efficient only at feeding on snails with dextral (clockwise-coiled) shells. The extreme adaptation has its limits, though. Scientists believe that snails are beginning to evolve counter-clockwise-coiled shells to protect themselves.

8. Eastern hognose snake
Other than its upturned snout, which is used for digging in sandy soil, this snake doesn't appear too strange — until threatened. Then it becomes the world's biggest drama queen. Capable of flattening its neck to resemble a cobra, it will strike, but the strikes are pure bluffs; it doesn't bite, it merely "head butts." If this strategy doesn't work to fend off threats, the snake rolls on its back and plays dead, going so far as to emit a foul musk and letting its tongue hang out of its mouth.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by hotspec(m): 10:38pm On Sep 13, 2017
9. Spider-tailed viper
This viper has one of the most unusual tail adaptations in the snake world. The tail appendage, which at first might look like a deformity, is designed to look like a spider. Its purpose isn't to make the snake seem extra terrifying (a spider and a snake, yikes!), but rather, to act as a lure. When the viper rattles it, arachnid-eating prey are attracted and drawn into striking range.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by auntysimbiat(f): 10:43pm On Sep 13, 2017
Hmmm... Bad snakes
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by KENZYYONG(m): 2:03am On Sep 14, 2017
Once its about snake.....hmmmmm....i trust Lalala....let me wait at the front page...the person below me is a pervert....lolz
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by inereunwa1(m): 8:56pm On Sep 15, 2017
o boy make i pack my keke here cuz i know we are going to the promise land!! grin grin grin

12 Likes

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 26, 2017
Beautiful creatures

1 Like

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by softmind24: 7:02am On Sep 26, 2017
sad
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Funjosh(m): 7:03am On Sep 26, 2017
Lalasticlala food,
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by dingbang(m): 7:03am On Sep 26, 2017
Snake will soon chase Buhari from aso rock . nonsense
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Ayo4251(m): 7:03am On Sep 26, 2017
Hope that are all chopable grin

1 Like

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Finstar: 7:03am On Sep 26, 2017
Oh, this early morning? I'm now feeling as of there's a snake in my room. I hate those freaking long things with passion angry

Check my signature If you're looking for a business to start.. A blog with a difference

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Oshoko(m): 7:03am On Sep 26, 2017
if these snakes do mistake enter my side...na pot u go land enter o

2 Likes

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by harryboyng(m): 7:03am On Sep 26, 2017
cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by nony43(m): 7:03am On Sep 26, 2017
Everyone is shouting Lala this morning, Lala come and explain yourself
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by coolcharm(m): 7:04am On Sep 26, 2017
Haba... Sake thread early this morning?

Who do lalasticlala and nairaland this thing?

1 Like

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by lifezone247(m): 7:04am On Sep 26, 2017
For lala mind now na how those snakes go taste as peeper soup. grin grin
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Johnemeka247: 7:04am On Sep 26, 2017
Ok
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Oshoko(m): 7:05am On Sep 26, 2017
sharp strikers
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by BestySam(m): 7:05am On Sep 26, 2017
What about Lala snake?

1 Like

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by sotall(m): 7:05am On Sep 26, 2017
OK
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by mightyhazel: 7:06am On Sep 26, 2017
i hate snakes...

who created them anyway?
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by odaniel1(m): 7:07am On Sep 26, 2017
OP, you forgot the tenth one; between my Legs....

1 Like

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Oyindidi(f): 7:07am On Sep 26, 2017
Food don done for the snake modgrin
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by frankwells(f): 7:07am On Sep 26, 2017
k
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by faridpac2: 7:09am On Sep 26, 2017
dingbang:
Snake will soon chase Buhari from aso rock . nonsense
you sound insane

1 Like

Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Aristotle96(m): 7:11am On Sep 26, 2017
mightyhazel:
i hate snakes...

who created them anyway?
me sir. Me undecided
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Vinz99: 7:11am On Sep 26, 2017
undecided this early morning
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by iPrevail(m): 7:12am On Sep 26, 2017
Every animal out there is relevant to the food chain, one way or the other. But snakes, wtf is their relevance? The disgust I feel towards this creature is unexplainable.
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by ramzylipi(m): 7:12am On Sep 26, 2017
ScotFree:
Beautiful creatures
Please what is beautiful about snake? angry
Re: 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes by Bezed(m): 7:13am On Sep 26, 2017
This is LA LA Land...snakes.. Fascinated by their movement though

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man With Disability Manufactures Electric Bucket To Heat Water / Woman Kisses Two Lions In South Africa (VIDEO And Pictures) / Do Aliens Exist? 5 Signs They Just Might...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.