Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

The Big Question: After Graduation, What's Next?! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Big Question: After Graduation, What's Next?! (513 Views)

Too Many Young People Are Getting Stuck 2-5yrs After Graduation / My Journey After Graduation In 2012 / 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Big Question: After Graduation, What's Next?! by Fhaysal: 10:30am On Sep 14, 2017
I know most people will assume the question is a very simple one, I also at a point thought I had it all figured out until when I was 'attacked' by a close friend, funny enough I found it hard to give a straight answer, I was just mumbling dozen of things that don't add up. I am sure if I ask a number of final year students only a few of them will be able to give me a straight answer on what they will do, some are lucky enough to come from a wealthy or influential family and as such, regardless of the degree they have on their certificate, a job is waiting for them but the majority of us that are from the average family, it is a struggle.
Most of us in higher institution these days are studying courses we did not apply and as such, it takes us a while before we align ourselves with the new course we are given and think of how to make a future out of it. I have met a lot of people that are 'just' in school, they have no passion or zeal towards the course they are studying and as a result they really do not have any plan after graduating, most of them end up graduating and turn to job seekers when instead they are meant to use the knowledge gained to become self employed. The typical example of such scenario is a student that applied for Medicine and surgery in a higher institution but was given Agriculture instead, the student ends up graduating with probably a pass degree and starts going to ministries or Agro industries in search of job instead of using the little knowledge gained to start a farm or poultry or something related to agriculture which by the way are many that requires little capital.
So I put it out to all students and graduates alike, start thinking of your future, it is never too early to make a plan. As the saying goes, failing to plan is planning to fail, let's start making plan for our future so that we won't end up asking ourselves 'What can I even do?'. As funny as that may sound, there are graduates that actually ask this rhetorical question after several trials of job interview. Let's try to adapt from 'do what you love' to 'love what you do' because in life, you don't always have it your way, just because life decides to change your ambition doesn't mean you shouldn't have any. Adapt, explore, learn and plan for your future so that you won't end up adding to the number of unemployed graduates that is booming year by year.

(1) (Reply)

Learn Digital Marketing In 6 Weeks. / Rent/share That Unused Space In Your Office Or House And Make Extra Cash. / Are You Employable? What Skills Do You Have To Leverage On? Check This Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.