Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? (17709 Views)

The Only Correct Way To Drive In Lagos State / FG Hikes Vehicle Number Plate, Driving Licence Rates By 50% / Numbers To Call To Verify The Validity Of Your Driving Licence - FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by silasweb(m): 7:37am On Sep 15, 2017
I don't think it's possible
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Yameater(m): 7:37am On Sep 15, 2017
Crossguy:
NEXT TIME GIVE REPLY THAT CAN HELP PEOPLE

Haba!
Do you want to kill him ?
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by sanandreas(m): 7:37am On Sep 15, 2017
Police go open market for Ya head.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Abudu2000(m): 7:39am On Sep 15, 2017
tony9k:
To the person who asked, yes as a visitor you are allowed to use your Nigerian licence to drive in the UK for a limited period ( I think year) in the UK. Ditto for the US. The issue is that Uk drives on the left and US on the right ( same as nigeria) so must visitors are more comfortable driving in the US as visitors. By the way you don't need the " International divers licence"
did u even understand the damn question arr rallll undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Benuromi: 7:41am On Sep 15, 2017
You can use Nigeria driving licence in the UK for 1 year ( when u move or visit, must have insurance that cover you) and after that, you will have to apply for UK driving licence ( you will do all the theory and practical test)

lexy2014:
u wan show urself abi?can u use Nigerian drivers license in d EU?
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Fynebouy: 7:44am On Sep 15, 2017
The Nigerian Driving License is one of the easiest to obtain, please go and get it, even the temporary DL is just 5,000 Naira. Don't drive yourself into the hands of one over zealous law enforcement officer who will end up wasting your time because possession of an EU DL suggests there is some cool cash to exchange hands.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 15, 2017
You would need an international drivers license to drive in any country on earth, but to convince Nigerian police on that na ur personal wahala.
grin.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 15, 2017
sanandreas:
We have our own laws here. Does Nigeria look like banana republic?

Nope, Not a Banana republic, but a zoo republic.

My cousin studied Medicine n surgery in Ukraine, when ever he comes back, eh uses his school ID card (in Ukrainian language) to cruise around n foooool police...grin.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Boyooosa(m): 7:46am On Sep 15, 2017
prewtyjulie:
I don't think so, just as u get a new license when u travel overseas, I think u might need to get a Nigerian license, but u can actually use the license to score your moniker
Ole nla cheesy o ja ba je
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 15, 2017
analryder:
My fellow Nigerians, I would want to confirm if it is possible to drive in Nigeria with an EU Driving Licence and not get help up by law enforcement.

I have been driving for about 10yrs within the EU-region.
NO. Because section 1 of the nigeria constitution 'supremacy of the constitution' any law that is inconsistence with the provisions of the aforesaid that law wil be null/void & the constitution prevail. ask urself dis question "can i use nigerian driving liecense to drive in uk"?
NOTE_ Nigeria is a sovereign nation & it has to generate it revenue.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Boyooosa(m): 7:49am On Sep 15, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Nope, Not a Banana republic, but a zoo republic.

My cousin studied Medicine n surgery in Ukraine, when ever he comes back, eh uses his school ID card (in Ukrainian language) to cruise around n foooool police...grin.

C ur life, u just bursted ur cus' balls... SMH
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Benuromi: 7:50am On Sep 15, 2017
The driving code for East European countries are different from UK. They are allowed to driving in the UK for 1 year and they can change their driving licence to full UK driving licence without training or restrictions. Only non EU will have to drive 1 year and after will apply for theory and practical test to get their full UK driving licence.
sanandreas:

Can I use Nigeria driver's license in UK? Logical reasoning. The driving code in UK is different from Nigeria.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 15, 2017
sanandreas:
sanandreas:
sanandreas:
Imaging, they look down on a sovereign nation that has its laws.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by K024(m): 7:51am On Sep 15, 2017
sanandreas:

How does that make Nigeria a banana republic? Don't we use Nigerian driver's license to rent cars and drive abroad? Don't we obtain international driver's licence in Nigeria to be used abroad?

I think we should just answer the question or not. This is not about victimising us (Nigerians).

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by TechAddiction: 7:53am On Sep 15, 2017
Yameater:

That is if you are visiting

Wenever u intend to travel to any country of ur choice, and u wish to drive around d country.. you can obtain d international license here in nigeria before leaving for d country.. it's always 1yr validity before it expires, buh it can be renewed..
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by sanandreas(m): 7:55am On Sep 15, 2017
Benuromi:
The driving code for East European countries are different from UK. They are allowed to driving in the UK for 1 year and they can change their driving licence to full UK driving licence without training or restrictions. Only non EU will have to drive 1 year and after will apply for theory and practical test to get their full UK driving licence.

When she comes to Nigeria she can apply to driving school for training so that she can get license. As per foreigner when she be, things go soft for her.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by TechAddiction: 7:55am On Sep 15, 2017
Yameater:

That is if you are visiting

Whether for visit, studies or any other form... Talking from experience.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Privy(m): 7:56am On Sep 15, 2017
sanandreas:

Nigeria does not need to be a banana republic for one to be able to use his&her EU drivers license in Nigeria. You need to know that your normal Nigerian drivers license gives a right to drive in EU for at least 6 months without any need for applications or notification to the authorities of the EU country you are visiting. (This is is a verified fact that I am very sure of and seen in action). The "brown paper" international drivers license issued in Nigeria (at least, in Lagos) extends your window period to one year in the EU.

So the same applies when EU persons come visiting Nigeria. It does not make Nigeria into a banana republic. It only means we honor our international agreements.

nurey:
Driving licences and vehicles. Foreign nationals are allowed in Nigeria using their foreign licences for three months and international licence for a period of one year. During this time they are expected to apply for a Nigerian driver's license. Information can be found on the Federal Road Safety Commission website

i hope you can prove the bolded to
1. police
2. Army
3. Vio
4. NSCDC
5. NCS
6. State/local road enforcement agencies

The quote above is very crucial! While the law permits youto deive with that EU license, the reality on ground is that many of the men of the police, army, VIO, NSCDC, NCS, state enforcement, and possibly some of of the FRSC (responsible for issuing the license in Nigeria) are not conversant with the law and some when they know the law are willing to ignore it in order to make an extra dime. There you might have some tough times with them if you are driving with your EU license.

Secondly and more importantly, you might do well not to announce to everyone that you just came back from EU. One never know when one meets one of those cops by day armed robbers by night officers. Apply wisdom there.

What do I suggest? Apply for the Nigerian drivers license at the FRSC and try to make it a faster route by indicating that you have already been trained in driving in EU (or apply for a conversion if there is such a thing). When you do, do not give the address you will be staying at. They will normally give you a paper that certifies that you are waiting for your license card. That paper gives you the right to drive.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by K024(m): 7:56am On Sep 15, 2017
prewtyjulie:
I don't think so, just as u get a new license when u travel overseas, I think u might need to get a Nigerian license, but u can actually use the license to score your moniker

No ma.

You don't get a new license if you're not planning to stay. All you need is your Nigerian driving license (sometimes plus an international drivers license which you will also take with you from Nigeria)
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 15, 2017
Boyooosa:
C ur life, u just bursted ur cus' balls... SMH

he graduated in 2012, he works in Nigeria now.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 15, 2017
TechAddiction:

Yes u can, buh it has to be Nigerian international drivers license...
See u. whats the different btw nigeria drivers license & nigeria international drivers license? dnt u think dia is desimilarities in term of driving in europe & african?
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by K024(m): 7:58am On Sep 15, 2017
tiger28:
Police will use you to eat all day! Pls dont try it,its like telling them "am not from here".They will find every or any reason to make you cough up some Euros and not even Naira.

Na you get am sir!!!
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Benuromi: 7:59am On Sep 15, 2017
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-nigeria#driving-licences-and-vehicles

Hope this help you to understand it more.

analryder:
My fellow Nigerians, I would want to confirm if it is possible to drive in Nigeria with an EU Driving Licence and not get help up by law enforcement.

Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by wildchild02: 8:00am On Sep 15, 2017
No

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by TechAddiction: 8:03am On Sep 15, 2017
MusaOseh:

See u. whats the different btw nigeria drivers license & nigeria international drivers license? dnt u think dia is desimilarities in term of driving in europe & african?

Bros, difference dey... You can't even use international license within Nigeria, police go open acc for ur head... It's only meant driving outside Nigeria cos of d laws behind it..
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by K024(m): 8:04am On Sep 15, 2017
TechAddiction:

Yes u can, buh it has to be Nigerian international drivers license...

Actually and ideally, any international driver's license must be accompanied by the national driver's license
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by mmsen: 8:08am On Sep 15, 2017
Expect to pay triple what Nigerian license holders pay when caught for minor infractions, such as when a young passenger is found not to have been wearing a seat belt.

Get a Nigerian license if you can. You don't want the added attention.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Boyooosa(m): 8:09am On Sep 15, 2017
PrecisionFx:

he graduated in 2012, he works in Nigeria now.
OK, move on.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by newslifeop: 8:12am On Sep 15, 2017
No
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by Ajusshi: 8:13am On Sep 15, 2017
analryder:

Yes, you can but don't try it. You will expose yourself to unnecessary security risks even from the security agencies and harassments for bribes. Please don't do it. Nigeria is a jungle.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by kode12: 8:14am On Sep 15, 2017
If you can't provide an answer that can help, keeping shut wont hurt you. You can drive with a British License in Ghana and I think Liberia, there are countries where the highway code are very similar and so the license can be used albeit temporarily. I suggest the OP makes a formal enquiry to the FRSC to determine that, I doubt the police or any other agency will disturb you if the laws allow it, because they're naturally scared of foreigners so your knowledge of the laws will even scare them further.
Re: Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? by K024(m): 8:14am On Sep 15, 2017
MusaOseh:

NO. Because section 1 of the nigeria constitution 'supremacy of the constitution' any law that is inconsistence with the provisions of the aforesaid that law wil be null/void & the constitution prevail. ask urself dis question "can i use nigerian driving liecense to drive in uk"?
NOTE_ Nigeria is a sovereign nation & it has to generate it revenue.

This is confusing on one hand, but more importantly, it is an insult on whatever you are trying to profess. Biko just take it down.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

US Sheriff Forced To Repay N25m After Buying An Hellcat With Seized Drug Money / Dangote Sinotruk Rolls Out Trucks, Targets Local, Ecowas Markets / 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.