Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,461 members, 7,830,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine (9417 Views)

Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. / Wole Soyinka Government High School / Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 3:22am On Mar 06, 2010
^ Its rare to find 13 year olds in secondary schools in lagos now- either the person was a slow learner/retard or his parents did not want him to go to school so early.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chiogo(f): 3:32am On Mar 06, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Which means you were 11 in JSS 1 instead of the typical 13; a two-year difference. So, you likely started primary school at 4 years of age instead of the recommended 6 years of age.

This two-year shift is common with those whose parents wanted them to start earlier in school. Most of these parents start their kids in Primary One at age 4 instead of age 6, and usually start them in private primary schools.

Those who were a year younger fall into the three-year shift category. They either started Primary One at age 3 without skipping any class, or started at a later age (between 4 and 6)  and skipped at most three classes within 6 years.

No, I was 10 in JSS 1. Turned 11 just before JSS 2.  grin It depends on what month one's birthday falls in. I actually started primary school at 6 years old or just before that but I skipped primary 6. However I had classmates who did primary 6 but same age as me.

I didn't think Nigeria had a specific age for kids to start primary school, something about a kid is eligible to attend school once s(he) can touch his/her left ear when putting the right hand over the head.  grin People graduating high school at 15 and 16 are so common in Naija, it seemed regular to me. I saw people who graduated at 18 as those who started school "late" but in America, most high schoolers graduate at 18.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chic2pimp(m): 3:34am On Mar 06, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Which means you were 11 in JSS 1 instead of the typical 13; a two-year difference. So, you likely started primary school at 4 years of age instead of the recommended 6 years of age.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Are you freaking kidding me? undecided
13 year old in JSS 1 ke? The dude/dudette must be an air head.
I was 11 in jss 1 and I completed primary 6 unlike many naija kids who skip it(most of class mates were between 10 & 11).
The youngest bwoi in my year was 9 years old while the oldest was 12 years old
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chiogo(f): 3:35am On Mar 06, 2010
^^ Yup exactly.

Unless he's talking about the olden days.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chic2pimp(m): 3:38am On Mar 06, 2010
That was my first thought.
The Dude must be an Old Man sha grin
There are many peeps on Nairaland I would refer to as Aunty/Uncle in the outside world cheesy grin.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 3:41am On Mar 06, 2010
^ Like me- you should start referring to me as Uncle sefago tongue
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chic2pimp(m): 3:43am On Mar 06, 2010
Will you sharrap dia tongue
Uncle ko slave ni grin.
I'd rather refer to you as Aunty
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 4:38am On Mar 06, 2010
SwtzMinx:

^^lwkmd4h

wink
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by kenuoyibo(m): 4:55am On Mar 06, 2010
I feel they should be recognised worldwide as Nigerians;it should be broadcasted. Even if mutallab screwed up badly, Nigerians will keep shining worldwide, they cant stop us, our stars will keep shining.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by dipo2much(m): 4:57am On Mar 06, 2010
they are not exactly nigerians. So why should be be recognised as nigerians?
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 5:17am On Mar 06, 2010
kenuoyibo:

I feel they should be recognised worldwide as Nigerians;it should be broadcasted. Even if mutallab screwed up badly, Nigerians will keep shining worldwide, they cant stop us, our stars will keep shining.

LOL. Nobody is trying.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chiogo(f): 5:26am On Mar 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

^ I was 9 when I got into secondary school hehe- and I have actually heard of an 8 year old.

The main point is that they both passed A-levels math when they were 9 years old, chiogo thats equivalent to AP Calculus (or way harder) - passed meaning probably a D or an E, not like an A or B. Considering the fact that the A-levels is notoriously and superbly grade inflated it prolly possible for the really advanced Nigerian kids to do.
9, huh? Did you skip a grade? But then you have a late birthday, I'm sure you turned 10 the same year. I knew a girl like that, she wasn't smart. That's why you really can't say someone is smart because they entered high school at a young age, in Naija anyway.

But I'm sure these twins are smart. It wouldn't be this publicized if they passed with D's. smiley
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 5:43am On Mar 06, 2010
chiogo:

9, huh? Did you skip a grade? But then you have a late birthday, I'm sure you turned 10 the same year. I knew a girl like that, she wasn't smart. That's why you really can't say someone is smart because they entered high school at a young age, in Naija anyway.

But I'm sure these twins are smart. It wouldn't be this publicized if they passed with D's. smiley

Yeah true but I skipped a grade in nursery and then primary 6 (which is totally useless IMO).

As for the twins they likely got Ds. It doesn't really matter what they got- technically they made their A-levels. Infact look at one of their siblings who performed a similar feat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne-Marie_Imafidon
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 5:45am On Mar 06, 2010
Woah I take my words back after reading the article one of them got an A in mathematics if this really effing true grin

I have to verify the source but if it is true man we should make sure we sing these news. While people talk about fake academics like emeagwali and oyibo at least we should focus on really brilliant people like these children.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chiogo(f): 7:00am On Mar 06, 2010
I skipped primary 6 too, didn't feel like I missed anything.
SEFAGO:

Woah I take my words back after reading the article one of them got an A in mathematics if this really effing true grin

I have to verify the source but if it is true man we should make sure we sing these news. While people talk about fake academics like emeagwali and oyibo at least we should focus on really brilliant people like these children.
You and your mouth!! grin Accept it, the kids are smart.

Emeagwali, isn't he the guy that discovered something that has to do with the computer? tongue
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 7:13am On Mar 06, 2010
You and your mouth!! Grin Accept it, the kids are smart.

I never said otherwise hehe
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chic2pimp(m): 7:21am On Mar 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Ain't that the lieing fraud who claimed to have invented the Internet? undecided grin

Also you are lucky. My parents said no when I was awarded double promotion sad sad sad
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 7:25am On Mar 06, 2010
Ain't that the lieing fraud who claimed to have invented the Internet?

Yeah undecided

These kids have actually achieved a lot- they should be called of Nigerian descent at least. Even Mutallab who did not interact with Nigerians was displayed as proudly Nigerian all over the news.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by dmxqo(m): 9:52am On Mar 06, 2010
Another Obamas rising!
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by adetoru(f): 12:19pm On Mar 06, 2010
This is soooo common in naija,that's why it's not news here.I wrote my first common entrance exam in Pri 3 when i was 7 and passed,my dad wanted me to test the waters.i did another one in primary 4 when i was 8 but the school iwanted to attend said i was too small.My son is preparing to test the waters this year,he'll be 7 in May.So many of my friends have also enrolled their 7-8yr olds for common entrance exams this.
We breed geniuses in Nigeria. cool cool
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 12:31pm On Mar 06, 2010
^ That is why Nigeria is known worldwide for intelligence and research and academic excellence.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by igboboy1(m): 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

instead of insulting the man, prove to us where he said he created the internet, Words actually credited to him and no dem say dem say ,

Idiot, u dey claim brilliant boy meanwhile u neva create
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 12:51pm On Mar 06, 2010
^ He never denied any of the words credited to him. Its simple common sense. Someone calls me a God- and I dont reject it. Silence is equal to acceptance.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by igboboy1(m): 1:28pm On Mar 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

^ He never denied any of the words credited to him. Its simple common sense. Someone calls me a God- and I dont reject it. Silence is equal to acceptance.
na wa , silence= acceptance?
thats the dumbest formual i've ever heard,

They said silence is the best answer to a fool, If someone wants to call him a genius and he no send them na the pesin palaver not his, So if dem call am god na dem sabi,
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by gbengress1: 3:44pm On Mar 06, 2010
A genious from d acclaimed terrorist country.The US govt will now know dat mutallab is a bad sample of Nigeria
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Rebete: 6:55pm On Mar 06, 2010
Wow, dis are the kind of things that makes me proud as a 9ja, abeg
i hope say USA dem dey hear thing like dis about 9ja.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by denny4ril: 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2010
smiley great kids!
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by InesQor(m): 7:48pm On Mar 06, 2010
Wonder twins head for high school aged NINE?

The high school is nine years old or what? tongue cool
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by mamagee3(f): 8:15pm On Mar 06, 2010
Congratulations to those wonder Twins and their wonderful parents. . .
I hope they grow up to make their parents proud even more. . .
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by macnuel: 11:05pm On Mar 06, 2010
Actually what caught my attention was the fact that they passed A-level exams meant for 18year olds. And according to Punch, they said their teacher is kinda slow for them in class and that other students try to keep up with them. I bet if they come Naija, they'll see better competition.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by tkovie2002(m): 12:01am On Mar 07, 2010
I am really really happy for those kids, Its not easy to be geniuses like that, Their parents have to be really careful about them and should not be over-confident in them. They should always be watched and guided as they will have to cope with growing up amongst older peers hence the pressure and they are suddenly matured (mentally) at a very young age and miss some "kid-hours" like someone stated earlier, which could probably affect them later (socially, in most cases).

Also, the fact that they are such geniuses means extra-work for them even though they are working extra hard already, because it will definitely tell on them later and could lead to some sort of break down at some point (if not controlled from the very beginning). I am talking out of personal experience as I also got into Secondary School at the age of 8 and graduated Secondary School at the age of 14.

There are so many other cases of such people in Nigeria, Nigeria is a GREAT country and we are born blessed. Every Nigerian child is a genius in His/Her own area. IMHO.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Dokki: 12:53am On Mar 07, 2010
Heres to hoping they get the encouragement and nurturing that talent like this deserves.
Problem is that i hope they remember they are Nigerian at the end of it all.
May they live to become Nigerians of Eminence like this guy did - www.nigeirannewsnetwork.com

D

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Unilag To Be Shut Down Tomorrow / Biology Bsc/ed Vs Microbiology Bsc / What Is The Difference Between School Fee & Tuition Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.