Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads (20360 Views)

15 Toyota Models Specifically Built For Nigeria / Inside The ₦181m Cadillac Escalade Mobile Bunker Built For The Rich And Famous / Check Out The All-Wheel Drive Electric Car Prototype Designed For Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Bmedels26(f): 8:52am On Sep 18, 2017
With few exceptions, most electric cars are delicate, expensive creatures designed for paved streets and well-heeled early adopters. And that makes them ill-suited to rural Africa – many roads away from the cities aren’t paved at all, and just about any EV would be out of reach. That’s where the Technical University of Munich comes into play. It recently revealed a prototype electric vehicle, the aCar, that’s designed for both the conditions and uses of rural Africa.

It has a rugged, four-wheel-drive design that can handle dirt roads and off-roading. It only has about 50 miles of range, but the very nature of an electric motor makes it both well-suited to clearing obstacles (since it always has full torque) and more reliable. Also, it’s modular – it can switch between carrying passengers and cargo, and you can even use the battery to power a winch or other equipment beyond the car.

The aCar completed real-world tests in Ghana this July, and it’s already expected to go into production (eventually in Africa) with a target price below €10,000 (about $11,944). That’s not a trivial expense, but it’s far more affordable than the Nissan Leaf and other vehicles that wouldn’t be as well-suited to the African landscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8xGJju2x20

http://carfreaksng.com/2017/09/18/electric-car-prototype-built-africas-rural-roads/

1 Share

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by nurey(m): 9:36am On Sep 18, 2017
Innoson we are waiting for the CKD grin

4.5m not too affordable for the target market, but i believe the governemnt can do something meaningful about that.
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Nemesis1: 11:43am On Sep 18, 2017
Weh done

Drive this one in Lagos, and see your phone collected on daily basis

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Lovetinz(m): 4:17pm On Sep 18, 2017
With a 50mile range, a small petrol generator might end up as permanent cargo.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by TRYGO(m): 4:32pm On Sep 18, 2017
Saw this vehicle yesterday, and hailed the move towards renewable energy as an alternatives to fossil fuels.

But from looking at the vehicle, it looks ugly, and the speed range allocated to it, in my view, is ridiculous.

What happens, for instance, if you're in a place, like southern Africa, where you have lots of wild animals, or even a vehicle breakbown?

It's only when all these(more charge stations, increased battery range, and cost reductions) are sorted out by the auto guys, that this "African made for vehicle" can be sustainable.

4 Likes

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by choky26(m): 6:56am On Sep 19, 2017
Nice
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by femimike1(m): 6:58am On Sep 19, 2017
cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by UncleSnr(m): 6:59am On Sep 19, 2017
Thought it was a Nigerian University that did the research.
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 19, 2017
Oyinbo will be doing like they know Africa more than Africans... keep your prototype.. Besides it won't be useful again in the next decade to come... because those roads will be okay for our made in Africa cars that will be better than Ferrari to thrive.

4 Likes

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Kingsley1000(m): 7:00am On Sep 19, 2017
OIL IS NOW USELESS
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 19, 2017
they built this fugly car for Africa? Oh Lord we have suffered, even the oyinbos no want make we advance

1 Like

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by CuteMaro(m): 7:01am On Sep 19, 2017
The world is going green yet we are still fighting over crude. I would have said God help us, but heck we have been saying that for years.

1 Like

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by vioment: 7:02am On Sep 19, 2017
I say if oyibo never build am, we(africa especially Nigeria) never think am. Oyibo, chinco, and arabu, just dey disgrace us with knowledge and wisdom. Even north Korea and Iran have better roads, electricity, water, security, schools, and building infrastructure than Nigeria.
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by toocoded: 7:02am On Sep 19, 2017
Nice one buh our rural area Don dey get electricity?
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by oshemus: 7:05am On Sep 19, 2017
Ebuka2016:
they built this fugly car for Africa? Oh Lord we have suffered, even the oyinbos no want make we advance

You are contradicting yourself Mr man.
You want to advance yet you want others to do it for you. What stops Africa from making its own.
Bear in mind an electric car technology is still new and most electric cars will be brand new. How many rural dwellers can afford a new car, let alone the one of high quality?

Shoe get size, find the one wey size you.
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by victorjam(m): 7:06am On Sep 19, 2017
We didnt want, unless it is produced in africa.
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 19, 2017
Wasn't this posted on another thread earlier?
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by busco59: 7:08am On Sep 19, 2017
Reading through the post, all that comes to ma mind is, NEPA no bring light ooooo, NEPA no bring light ooooo, generator wan burst ma ear, generator wan burst ma ear ooooo. We don't need this kind of innovation in Nigeria, cause the Nigerian electricity distribution companies will frustrate the hell out of the owners of this kind of cars, abi na Lister you wan buy use dey power your car. I think Nigerian government will never be in support of this, abi you want make there source of looting go dry.

3 Likes

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by bukynkwuenu: 7:10am On Sep 19, 2017
nurey:
Innoson we are waiting for the CKD grin

4.5m not too affordable for the target market, but i believe the governemnt can do something meaningful about that.

pls show us d matches u produced bf calling innoson

1 Like

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by mccoy47(m): 7:10am On Sep 19, 2017
Nigerian government whenever they hear electric cars

3 Likes

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by amalder: 7:10am On Sep 19, 2017
sorry for my language but that doesn't impress me

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by AgentOfAllah: 7:20am On Sep 19, 2017
I wonder how it is suited for Africa's rural roads if it is powered by electricity?

1 Like

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Jeffrey12(m): 7:22am On Sep 19, 2017
Naija go take gen. Kill dix one na
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by FILEBE(m): 7:22am On Sep 19, 2017
Africa ! see una life. It is like saying that Africa's road can never be good again so that is why they will are building cars for us . Rather than the govt to find ways to make roads motoroable. It is alright Jare, the producers of the cars. Nice one! You guys are trying to solve a problem. Great

Mama Africa! Just wake up and give your children a dirty resetting slap. angry

1 Like

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 19, 2017
Wake me up
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:34am On Sep 19, 2017
TRYGO:
Saw this vehicle yesterday, and hailed the move towards renewable energy as an alternatives to fossil fuels.

But from looking at the vehicle, it looks ugly, and the speed range allocated to it, in my view, is ridiculous.

What happens, for instance, if you're in a place, like southern Africa, where you have lots of wild animals, or even a vehicle breakbown?

It's only when all these(more charge stations, increased battery range, and cost reductions) are sorted out by the auto guys, that this "African made for vehicle" can be sustainable.

AfricanElite:
Oyinbo will be doing like they know Africa more than Africans... keep your prototype.. Besides it won't be useful again in the next decade to come... because those roads will be okay for our made in Africa cars that will be better than Ferrari to thrive.
CuteMaro:
The world is going green yet we are still fighting over crude. I would have said God help us, but heck we have been saying that for years.
mccoy47:
Nigerian government whenever they hear electric cars
I can beat my chest to it that will be difficult phasing out petrol engine cars even in the next 30 years. All these electronic car test (no be today) will only serve a niche.

There is no way of eradicating a natural resource by substituting it with an artificial/man-made resource that can be exhausted easily.

What about performance?! This electronic cars can never be as rugged. You imagine the power factor of V12s and above; or even diesel engines?

Petrol and diesel engines have come to stay a long while - if not forever!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Joel3(m): 7:43am On Sep 19, 2017
this can be use for keke tracycle
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by psalmson001: 7:43am On Sep 19, 2017
Brb
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by kuuljay(m): 7:54am On Sep 19, 2017
They think everywhere in African looks like the kalahari
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 19, 2017
N4.3M?
Too expensive! angry
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by shaybebaby(f): 7:59am On Sep 19, 2017
AgentOfAllah:
I wonder how it is suited for Africa's rural roads if it is powered by electricity?
They will be charged by generator. grin
Re: This Electric Car Prototype Is Built For Africa’s Rural Roads by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 19, 2017
GlorifiedTunde:

I can beat my chest to it that will be difficult phasing out petrol engine cars even in the next 30 years. All this electronic car test will only serve a niche.

There is no way of eradicating a natural resource by substituting it with an artificial/man-made resource that can be exhausted easily.

What about performance?! This electronic cars can never be as rugged. You imagine the power factor of V12s and above; or even diesel engines?

Petrol and diesel engines have come to stay a long while - if not forever!
I'm sure, you've not heard of Telsa, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla,_Inc . they build great cars that are far superior to ICE (internal combustion engine) cars and the reason ICE Will not stay long is because of climate change .. plus China is backing this electric thing. (note than China is not an oil producing country and they are giant in electronics). I believe their force/Human resources combined will change everything.. And about natural resources thing.. I think sun is more reliable than petrol. that's why Tesla are building supercharger around the world.. I think you should start following this electric thing.. you will understand better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Functions Of Cruise And Over Drive On A Gear Stick? / Water Powered Trike Goes From 0-60 In 0.55 Seconds (video) / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.