Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC (31362 Views)

VREG: No To Re-Registration Of Vehicles - Daily Trust Editorial / The New Set Of Vehicles Released By Innoson (Pictures) / 5 Reasons Why You Must Have Fire Extinguisher In Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by Reference(m): 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2017
My question to auto gurus is why technology has not evolved to have cars come with built in or factory fitted fire supressants located in the trunk or more appropriately the engine bay the way jet engines are built. I mean PMS is certainly more flammable than Jet A1 and when you have top cars and trucks going for upwards of a $100,000, you'd think passenger safety and property security would be a wiser consideration than LED moonlights or two rear facing 12 inch screens just centimetres apart.

Paul Walker may have lived with such a system in place when it is widely known that a lot of fire deaths are as a result of trapped victims. Of what good is an extinguisher in the glove compartment or under the seat of a mangled car. Someone is not thinking right here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by newslifeop: 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2017
Oh
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by spencekat(m): 1:50pm On Sep 18, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
sadly if you have ever been in an actual fire sittuation in a regular car, you will understand that a 1kg fire extinguisher is insufficient for an engine fire.
At least 3kg is okay for cars.
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by donqx: 1:52pm On Sep 18, 2017
really
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by RapportNaija(m): 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2017

1 Share

Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by Ododoeye0020(m): 1:56pm On Sep 18, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
sadly if you have ever been in an actual fire sittuation in a regular car, you will understand that a 1kg fire extinguisher is insufficient for an engine fire.
you need 6 kg
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by 400billionman: 2:21pm On Sep 18, 2017
I carry 2 around.
Sometimes, I use it to do good Samaritan..
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 2:27pm On Sep 18, 2017
Reference:

Are they filled with water these days....just asking.
some are .
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2017
RapportNaija:
Nice one OP... See Tips to apply when your car is on fire

And this is How to use a fire extinguisher
When you have what they call ball of fire you at seriously yelling me you going to risk your life going that close to your car knowing fully well your car could explode at any time cos it means you are aprox 1 mtr frm fire source
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 2:35pm On Sep 18, 2017
Reference:
My question to auto gurus is why technology has not evolved to have cars come with built in or factory fitted fire supressants located in the trunk or more appropriately the engine bay the way jet engines are built. I mean PMS is certainly more flammable than Jet A1 and when you have top cars and trucks going for upwards of a $100,000, you'd think passenger safety and property security would be a wiser consideration than LED moonlights or two rear facing 12 inch screens just centimetres from each apart.

Paul Walker may have lived with such a system in place when it is widely known that a lot of fire deaths are as a result of trapped victims. Of what good is an extinguisher in the glove compartment or under the seat of a mangled car. Someone is not thinking right here.
The answer to your question is for government to implement robust Emergency Service . 3 en though you have all what it takes to put out a fire you might need training to put out a serious fire . If your car burst into flame run away.you got insurance to cover the cost however if you have a car you think you can die for by roasting yourself and you the owner did not deem it fit to Insure such car then the Owner's stupidly is way out of this world !
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by Reference(m): 2:59pm On Sep 18, 2017
erico2k2:

The answer to your question is for government to implement robust Emergency Service . 3 en though you have all what it takes to put out a fire you might need training to put out a serious fire . If your car burst into flame run away.you got insurance to cover the cost however if you have a car you think you can die for by roasting yourself and you the owner did not deem it fit to Insure such car then the Owner's stupidly is way out of this world !

Read the second paragraph pls. It explains my inquiry. Typical car fires are totalled within two to three minutes. Even the best emergency services can only deal with a fraction of them. When victims are trapped in accidents, fire fatalities are near 100 percent anywhere in the world.
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by ifyain: 3:02pm On Sep 18, 2017
I don,t know where Nigerian frsc sourced their knowledge and information, you should never tackle any fire unless you are trained or a fire marshal.if fire extinguishers are required in the vehicle, manufacturers would have provided one. I live here in Europe and it is never part of MOT certificate. Your life is worths more than a car, in case of any fire just think of your safety first.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
erico2k2:

Very correct this is why the priority would have been to have standby fire engines on our highways . In the UK the advice is see fire ? RUN far away from your car and dial 999 for help.9ja they want you to fight fire and kill yourself cos of car!

you really made me laugh cheesy
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by agabusta: 4:21pm On Sep 18, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

A portable fire extinguisher is used for incipient fire, not a raging fire.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 4:43pm On Sep 18, 2017
Reference:

Read the second paragraph pls. It explains my inquiry. Typical car fires are totalled within two to three minutes. Even the best emergency services can only deal with a fraction of them. When victims are trapped in accidents, fire fatalities are near 100 percent anywhere in the world.
You missed the point . Car fires are unpredictable . You have a petrol tank within which is highly volatile . You jave engine,Gear oil oil The advice from London fire brigade is if you can get away run to get the nears help dial 999..
By the way if your car is insured why worry
even 3rd party insurance covers fire and theft .
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 4:46pm On Sep 18, 2017
ifyain:
I don,t know where Nigerian frsc sourced their knowledge and information, you should never tackle any fire unless you are trained or a fire marshal.if fire extinguishers are required in the vehicle, manufacturers would have provided one. I live here in Europe and it is never part of MOT certificate. Your life is worths more than a car, in case of any fire just think of your safety first.
The thing tire man instead of people to talk against this as policy them dey encourage them.If you as a driver chose to have a fire extinguisher fine good however it should not be a policy or requirement where not owning one is seen as an offence .

1 Like

Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by thebigkendo(m): 4:57pm On Sep 18, 2017
erico2k2:

You missed the point . Car fires are unpredictable . You have a petrol tank within which is highly volatile . You jave engine,Gear oil oil The advice from London fire brigade is if you can get away run to get the nears help dial 999..
By the way if your car is insured why worry
even 3rd party insurance covers fire and theft .

Not in Nigeria...
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 4:58pm On Sep 18, 2017
thebigkendo:

Not in Nigeria...
I don't have 3rd party but have you seen the 3rd party chedule ? ?
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by babalonimi: 6:20pm On Sep 18, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
Fire Extinguisher is an active fire protection device used to extinguish small fire often in emergency situations.

The dry chemical powdery content is recommended for automobile fire and FRSC wants us to know how many fire extinguisher canisters we should have in our vehicles..

See the required quantity in the attached picture.

https://autojosh.com/vehicles-and-the-amount-of-fire-extinguisher-they-should-have-frsc/

Noted
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by orjaha(m): 8:38pm On Sep 18, 2017
do u have it in your own vehicle?
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by nemynely(m): 5:29am On Sep 19, 2017
How about SUVs? sad
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by thebigkendo(m): 8:38am On Sep 19, 2017
erico2k2:

I don't have 3rd party but have you seen the 3rd party chedule ? ?

I have 3rd party.. Its mainly covers the "other" party involved in an accident...Other party could be a car, fence etc.. So if my car goes up in flame and fire spreads to another car, my 3rd party insurance covers other car up to 1 million(I think). If only your car burns and you are on 3rd party insurance, nothing for you.
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 11:21am On Sep 19, 2017
thebigkendo:

I have 3rd party.. Its mainly covers the "other" party involved in an accident...Other party could be a car, fence etc.. So if my car goes up in flame and fire spreads to another car, my 3rd party insurance covers other car up to 1 million(I think). If only your car burns and you are on 3rd party insurance, nothing for you.
Well that's a waste of money cos for all its worth the difference in price might be very insignificant !
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by sportark(m): 1:11pm On Sep 19, 2017
mikkiko:

I think u don't even have value at all
guest u are one or related to one,bunch of misfit I say again.
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by sportark(m): 1:12pm On Sep 19, 2017
mikkiko:

I think u don't even have value at all
guess u are one or related to one,bunch of misfit I say again.
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by Rajahbite(m): 1:17pm On Sep 19, 2017
erico2k2:

In reality fire extinguishers do not expire rather they should be serviced and checked to see if the mechanism are working correctly . If spent then it should be replaced and serviced . Does water have expiry date for putting out fire ?

Oh sure ! They do have definite lifespans.

Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 1:25pm On Sep 19, 2017
Rajahbite:

Oh sure ! They do have definite lifespans.
Seriously your pic does not say expiry date rather service indication dates . This what I said as well SERVICE hence the question if water has expiry date
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by thebigkendo(m): 5:06pm On Sep 19, 2017
erico2k2:

Well that's a waste of money cos for all its worth the difference in price might be very insignificant !

Price for 3rd party insurance is 5000 naira only... How much was your comprehensive insurance? You do the maths.. Price difference is very significant.
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by erico2k2(m): 5:50pm On Sep 19, 2017
thebigkendo:

Price for 3rd party insurance is 5000 naira only... How much was your comprehensive insurance? You do the maths.. Price difference is very significant.
Well massive difference as it's %10 @%50 discount which amount to %5 in valuation . .per anum
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 07, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
At the moment a fire starts, a sachet of pure water can put it out. If you detect it on time, you can put it out.
Re: Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC by spencekat(m): 10:43am On Dec 08, 2019
agabusta:

A portable fire extinguisher is used for incipient fire, not a raging fire.

Thumbs up.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OOU Campus Shuttle driver Using A Spoon To Start His Bus / Missing Toyota Corolla LX530EKY chassis number: 2T1BR32E43C720548 / Vehicle Parked Close To A Heap Of Rubbish Burnt Alongside It In Yenagoa (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.