|Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 3,108,965 members, 7,671,981 topics. Date: Sunday, 10 December 2023 at 06:10 AM
COVID-19: The Scramble To Save Femi Odekunle’s Life Yielded 170 Oxygen Cylinders / Stop Using 12.5kg Cylinders As Camp Gas - Nigerians Warned / Gas Cylinders Should Be Checked Every 14 Months - Safety Professionals (2) (3) (4)
|Precautions And Safety Tips On Handling Of Gas Cylinders. by Parcks(m): 2:19pm On Sep 18, 2017|
With the increase in the use of LPG commonly referred to as cooking gas in Nigerian homes, we can say that nigerians are gradually embracing the idea of a faster, cleaner, cheaper alternative to the traditional kerosene stoves.
It is estimated that only about 25% of our entire population has switched to LPG with the domestic market consuming about 500,000MT in 2016. This number is expected to double by 2040. So we expect to see more cooking gas retail store springing up in cities, and also semi- rural areas.
However, I have observed that there is little or no education of the public, retailers and consumers alike, on proper care of these highly inflammable gas and its accessories ( cylinders, cookers, etc). The efforts by the government and the private sector towards the training of these retailers and sensitization of the consumers appear to be very minimal.
This write-up therefore seeks to enligthen the public on important safety procedures in the usage and handling of LPG.
1. Always leave the cooker regulator in the OFF/CLOSE position before opening the cylinder valve.
2. When refilling a cylinder, always ensure that hose fittings are TIGHTLY and CORRECTLY fitted
3. As a gas personnel, (operator or retailer), always ALWAYS wear your safety equipments ( nose masks, hand gloves, etc)...please, ALWAYS!!!
4.Ensure that you close the cylinder valve before changing carousel (applicable to retailers).
5. In the case of a hose clip pull-out, NEVER USE YOU HANDS/PALM TO CLOSE THE OUTLET OF THE GAS HOSE!!! First, Do not Panic!
Next, quickly close the cylinder valve. Finally, direct the hose to the ground, away from any perceived fire source!!! Again, DO NOT PANIC!!!
6. Always have a fire extinguisher close by, whether you are a retailer or a consumer. Very IMPORTANT!!!
7. Always ensure you have a bucket of sand close to the area where the gas cylinder is located.
8. In the event of a gas splash on any part of your body, DO NOT USE WATER!!! immediately find engine oil and rub on the affected area.. again, DO NOT USE WATER!!!
9.In the case of a fire outbreak, again, try as much as possible NOT TO PANIC. Then try to cut off the gas supply by closing the cylinder regulator. Next, use a Fire Extinguisher or Sand to put off the fire.
NB: Gas cylinders DO NOT explode IMMEDIATELY there is a fire outbreak! Explosions are as result of the heat released which leads to the expansion of the gas inside the cylinder and thus, causing it to explode after FEW MINUTES!!!
Written by: Edwin UCHE
For: Actgas Energy Limited.
Cc: Laslaticala, please help move this to FP. People need to be enlightened about Safety in LPG usage.
|Re: Precautions And Safety Tips On Handling Of Gas Cylinders. by EmperorMGI: 2:37pm On Sep 18, 2017|
Thanks for the info @OP. Noted sir
|Re: Precautions And Safety Tips On Handling Of Gas Cylinders. by butpro(m): 8:42am On Aug 23, 2022|
Cc: lalastica please, this is highly educative, move to the front page. Instead of BBnaija show
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2023 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35