Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,825 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? (23090 Views)

Teachers Registration Council Says Unqualified Teachers To Go In December / ‘pupils Drug Teachers To Cheat During Exams’ / 'No Be Say I No Go Pay! They Go Flog Tire' T-shirt For Warri Schoolgirl, Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by 9jvirgin(m): 7:23pm On Sep 19, 2017
It is a crime anywhere in the world. Nigeria should not be an exception.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Narldon: 7:24pm On Sep 19, 2017
Ok
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by asawanathegreat(m): 7:24pm On Sep 19, 2017
I chop cane die from maths teacher during my school days, it not illegal biko.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by figure007(m): 7:25pm On Sep 19, 2017
Go ask a typical Yoruba mother that question and she will give u a dirty slap in reply
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by wittytezzy(m): 7:25pm On Sep 19, 2017
Lemme book space fest
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by teemanbastos(m): 7:27pm On Sep 19, 2017
Odunharry:
We done oooooooooooo
Baba olowo ... .. grin grin my hands dey up o
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by beautiful232(f): 7:28pm On Sep 19, 2017
I too the fear cane o
so I used to make sure I don't get to school late..
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Hajardramadan(m): 7:29pm On Sep 19, 2017
In accordance to section 34 subsection 1(a)(b)(c) of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria ........it's apparently illegal to cane anyone or subject him or her to forced labour
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 7:31pm On Sep 19, 2017
Them never born the teacher that will flog my child angry

Leave my child for me to discipline. Ur own is to teach!
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Hajardramadan(m): 7:31pm On Sep 19, 2017
In accordance to section 34 subsection 1(a)(b)(c) of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria ........it's apparently illegal to cane anyone or subject him or her to forced labour.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by pahen1991: 7:33pm On Sep 19, 2017
spoil de rod amd spare the child
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:
If you were not FLOGGED, would you be as educated as you are to be able to compose this thread post? Some things you were not flogged for while you were a child are the same things now you are struggling with.... LIFE FLOGS US ALL with invisible CANE strokes. Teachers only do the physical....

If you waste your salary on games n sweets n doing whatever you like, HUNGER and POVERTY becomes the flogging that follows such wasteful spending

If you do not read or upgrade your knowledge about things, then you can never grow in business or in the workplace therefore INSULTS and LOSSES will be the flogging for such person

If you are a liar, cheat and are never satisfied with what you have till you get someone else's own.... HEART BREAKS IN RELATIONSHIPS with many INSULTS and NAME TAGS will be the person's flogging.

LIFE FLOGS US ALL. LIFE IS A TEACHER.

I was NEVER flogged before I came to Nigeria! I was well educated.

As a matter of fact those that taught us education DO NOT flog their students!

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2017
Mrchusenvessel:
During Our Nursery,primary,secondary School Days,there Is Just One Teacher We Are Afraid Of,guess Who ? The One Whose Cane Hurt The Most.So This Question Just Pop Into My Mind Is It Legal For Teachers To Beat In Nigeria?

You are asking so that you can go and sue the teacher? Get a lawyer, he will advise you as appropriate. cheesy
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by free2ryhme: 7:35pm On Sep 19, 2017
Mrchusenvessel:
During Our Nursery,primary,secondary School Days,there Is Just One Teacher We Are Afraid Of,guess Who ? The One Whose Cane Hurt The Most.So This Question Just Pop Into My Mind Is It Legal For Teachers To Beat In Nigeria?

This is the Justification for flogging children who misbehave. And most parents encourage it in Nigeria which is normal

Proverbs 22:15 (KJV)

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 19, 2017
Mrchusenvessel:
I don't think it's legal except it's part of the school's rule.Flogging a children in schools had become a norm because most parents lack the will power to discipline their kids.Cultural factor and religious beliefs has being a mitigating factor responsible for this menace .
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 7:35pm On Sep 19, 2017
YelloweWest:
Them never born the teacher that will flog my child angry

Leave my child for me to discipline. Ur own is to teach!

And what should the teacher do if your child makes his life unbearable in the class?

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by cuteme88(f): 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2017
grin grin grin

sure yes naaaah!

Naija students can behave so possessed oooh!

Wear socks dey will not wear! Do homework they will not do! comb hair dey will not comb! brush teeth dey will not brush! cut nails dey will not cut! go right they will walka to left! wear clean uniform they will not wear!

But to look fine on weekend and spray perfume nobdy will use cane to beg them.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Icon79(m): 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2017
It's funny because I remembered that back in High School, I was appointed the Labor Prefect. But immediately after we were appointed, the Principal change the rules and declared 'No more corporal punishment by student'. Most of my fellow prefects, including the Senior Prefect, obeyed the rules and stopped spanking students but I didn't pay them any attention .... I continued to mammer them, until one day the Principal called me into his office and seriously warned me to desist from flogging student. But I retorted that the only way I could get them to do manual labor is by flogging them since nobody like to work if there's no penalty. The man insisted and then I told him that he would have to remove me as the Labor Prefect because I can't get the job done unless I am given an authorization to cane the disobedient student.

gosh, I was a real hot head back in the day sha ....

O pari
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Victornezzar: 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2017
Slayer2:
Nigeria is do as you like country. Nothing illegal or legal.
shut up cheesy
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Dahmayor(m): 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2017
Teachers been flogging since 1960
op take note
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Danielnino00(m): 7:38pm On Sep 19, 2017
It is neither legal nor illegal.. Mostly, it depends on the type of school you attend..
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by greatnaija01: 7:38pm On Sep 19, 2017
well we are yet to verify your character... morals and upbringing. FLOGGING did wonders for many of us.... and would do wonders if applied in FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES.... things like teen killings, drug abuses,LGBT would not see the light of day if it was flogged out of them promptly when they were younger... MY OPINION O.

YelloweWest:

I was NEVER flogged before I came to Nigeria! I was well educated.

As a matter of fact those that taught us education DO NOT flog their students!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 19, 2017
zico530:
What legality are you looking for? It is good to flog where it calls for, hence the child would grow wayward.
If the guardian or parent approves it. Discipline is strictly the parent affairs not teacher. If the parent gives the go ahead then it's not an issue
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by chiraqDemon(m): 7:43pm On Sep 19, 2017
KingLennon:
It is not right to flog a child in school these days. But look at the crop of children we are producing now. No discipline atall, a child could talk when two elders are discussing. Back then, My papa go tie your hand join ur leg grin
The ones that were "well brought up" are in leadership positions today, were is the fruit of their good upbringing. Abeg flogging does not change anything it just traumatizes the child. It's better to talk to and warn the child again and again, and lead by example. Afterall the flogging did not stop us from doing the things we wanted to do behind our parents' and teachers' backs.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by naijamakossa(m): 7:43pm On Sep 19, 2017
grin grin
TechEnthusiast:
Flogging doesn't work.Some people usually claim odeshi,which only improves stubborness
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by yhungbrowhne(m): 7:44pm On Sep 19, 2017
spare the rod and spoil d. child
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2017
abike12:
I don't know if it's legal or not but I personally don't support it. Disciplining a child is not just about beating them because you are frustrated or to show seniority, it should be done with intention and communication with the child - you are getting your behind whooped because you did xyz, do you understand why xyz is wrong, do you know if you do xyz you will get your behind whooped again, etc. Then a show of love to reassure the child, that you're not there to hurt them but to make them do better. No teacher gets paid enough to do all this, my child, my responsibility to discipline. Add to the fact that a lot of teachers in Nigeria are frustrated (thank you underpaying government), and it's a recipe for disaster. Your child's cane will be extra because their parents have money. Don't touch my child. If a school feels a child's behavior is unacceptable then expel the child but don't discipline other people's kids. If they can't teach without cane then all of them need to go back to school to learn.
There's at least one voice of reason. There is hope! cry
I grew up in Botswana and south Africa. I was NEVER flogged while schooling there. I was better educated. In fact the 4years I spent in Nigerian govt secondary school was a complete waste! I learned NOTHING!
I basically went from primary to uni. Based on the good education I received in Botswana.
I thank God that even though I'm based in Nigeria now, I can afford to send my kids to good schools were flogging or any sort of physical abuse is strictly prohibited!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by realestniggah: 7:50pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:
If you were not FLOGGED, would you be as educated as you are to be able to compose this thread post? Some things you were not flogged for while you were a child are the same things now you are struggling with.... LIFE FLOGS US ALL with invisible CANE strokes. Teachers only do the physical....

If you waste your salary on games n sweets n doing whatever you like, HUNGER and POVERTY becomes the flogging that follows such wasteful spending

If you do not read or upgrade your knowledge about things, then you can never grow in business or in the workplace therefore INSULTS and LOSSES will be the flogging for such person

If you are a liar, cheat and are never satisfied with what you have till you get someone else's own.... HEART BREAKS IN RELATIONSHIPS with many INSULTS and NAME TAGS will be the person's flogging.

absolutely crap..what does beating have to do with education?.. western countries don't flog their children and they are doing fine..Una way flog Una children.. nah Una worst pass
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by kullozone(m): 7:50pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:

very Good! But not in line with the question that was asked.
Wetin cause am? Na "I too know" cause am... I mean No offense sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by martineverest(m): 7:51pm On Sep 19, 2017
just like some western countries, u can flog but don't inflict injuries on the child
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Litmus: 7:51pm On Sep 19, 2017
Flogging is useful, don t listen to the white world who tells you otherwise. Autism and ADHD is partly what they have labelled the resultant bad behaviour of their children due to withdrawing of the cane.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 7:52pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:
well we are yet to verify your character... morals and upbringing. FLOGGING did wonders for many of us.... and would do wonders if applied in FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES.... things like teen killings, drug abuses,LGBT would not see the light of day if it was flogged out of them promptly when they were younger... MY OPINION O.

And with all their vices and our "high morals" we are one of the most corrupt and they are a million times better than us.
I grew up in a Christian home. Upheld my core Christian values. I am a daughter whos father is very proud of.
Flogging a child does nothing to improve their moral values especially when no one is looking it only induces fear of which the child will eventually out grow. If that were to be the case Nigeria would have the most fair and most honest set of people cos we log children at every given opportunity.
However the reverse is the case. Our politicians are all products of our society. Meaning 90% of the ordinary Nigerian would act exactly the same way our politicians do if given the chance.
FACT! We are all corrupt in this country. Flogging has done nothing to better us.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tunde Olatunji Gives Kamarudeen Ridwan 3rd Best UTME Candidate, A Scholarship / FUTO Students Represent Nigeria In Dubai Hultprize 2016 (photos) / Adebayo Bamire Is Obafemi Awolowo University's 12th Vice-Chancellor (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.