Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,828 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS (777 Views)

Naira Among Africa’s Worst Currencies, Falls By 40% – World Bank / Naira Depreciation Increases Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Burden By N9tn / Moscow Pays Foreign Debt In Rubles For First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by NaijaEfcc: 8:27pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nigeria’s total domestic and foreign debt stocks as at June 30 stood at about $15.1 billion and N14.1 trillion respectively, the National Bureau of Statistics said on Tuesday.
A review of the total foreign debt profile of the Federal and the 36 states governments and the FCT also shows a continuous rise since the coming of the present administration, from $10.718 billion in 2015, to $11.406 billion in 2016 and $15.047 billion in 2017.
Out of the current total figure of $15.047 billion, the Federal Government accounts for $11.106 billion, or about 74 per cent, while the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja owe about $3.94 billion, or 26 per cent.
The Federal and State government shares of the debt stock grew from $7.349 billion and $3.369 billion in 2015, to $7.84 billion and $3.568 billion in 2016, and $3.94 billion and $11.106 billion in 2017 respectively.
The NBS gave further disaggregation of the country’s foreign debt to include $9.67billion as multilateral debt; $218.25million as bilateral (AFD) and $5.15billion from the Exim Bank of China credit to the Federal Government.
Details of the debt figures show that the domestic debts figures of the 36 states of the federation and the FCT have continued to grow since 2015 under the present administration.
From about N2.503 trillion in 2015, the NBS data showed the figure rose to N2.959 trillion in 2016 before reaching the latest point of N3.001 trillion in 2017.
According to the statistics agency, out of the total N14.017 trillion national debt stock, the Federal Government accounts for about N11.058 trillion, or 78.66 per cent, against about N2.959 trillion, or 21.34 per cent by all the states and the FCT.
Further breakdown of the Federal Government domestic debt stock by instruments show that about N7.56 trillion, or 68.41 per cent were in bonds; N3.28 trillion, or 29.64 per cent in treasury bills, while N215.99 million, or 1.95 per cent went into treasury bonds.
Although the NBS did not provide the Federal Government domestic debt figures for 2015, figures obtained from the Debt Management Office, DMO, website on Tuesday showed that total domestic debt by instruments as at December 2015 stood at N8.836 trillion.
This consisted Federal Government bonds N5.808 trillion, or 65.73 per cent; Nigerian treasury bills N2.773 trillion, or 31.38 per cent, and treasury bonds of N255.99 billion, or 2.90 per cent.
Among the 36 states and the FCT, Lagos recorded the highest foreign debt profile, accounting for about 37 per cent of the states’ foreign debts, followed by Kaduna (six per cent), Edo (five percent), Cross River (four percent) and Ogun (three percent).
On the domestic front, Lagos State again took the lead, with the highest domestic debt profile among its colleagues and the FCT, accounting for about 10.39 per cent of the total figure, followed by Delta (8.04 per cent), Awa Ibom (5,18 per cent), FCT (5.09 per cent) and Osun (4.90 per cent).

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/243644-nigerias-foreign-debt-40-buhari-nbs.html
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by NaijaEfcc: 8:28pm On Sep 19, 2017
We are in trouble embarassed 40percent in just 2years !!!! I don't even want to imagine what will it will be in the next 2years?? Double?? embarassed hey lawd !!! Sarrki omenka omenkalives Ngenenkwenu modath madridguy omenkalives gbawe blackpanda vedaxcool dropshot come and explain this!! angry Very soon una BMC peanuts wey dey cover una eye go soon finish! Una eye go clear!! Lalasticlala !!! Mynd44 !!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by baralatie(m): 8:36pm On Sep 19, 2017
na wa o that debt puts us in the tight spot it will eat a huge chunk of national revenue it means little funds at the long run then inflation rate becomes an issue
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by NaijaEfcc: 8:44pm On Sep 19, 2017
Out of the current total figure of $15.047 billion, the Federal Government accounts for $11.106 billion, or about 74 per cent, while the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja owe about $3.94 billion, or 26 per cent.. Where did the money go into? How many roads was done by this administration?? Any projects done at all Where is our money!!! angry How can I pay for what I did not eat !!?? Be in debt for money, that I did not spend?? angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by guru03(m): 8:54pm On Sep 19, 2017
Some hopeless people will come and shout Baba is working, no capital projects only huge debts.
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by Paperwhite(m): 8:55pm On Sep 19, 2017
Then the government and it deluded zombies kept adulating itself to be working and hallucinating that"Nigeria is out of recessiom" This is a government agency depicting this demoralizing statistics.Meanwhile why is Nigeria's debt skyrocketing despite the APC's goverment claims of improved IGR,recovered/relooted funds,proceeds from subsidy and all the staggering amount of monies gotten from the EFCC media frenzy discoveries? Where is that otondo finance minister to come speak phoney again.Nigeria is seriously sick.
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by Desyner: 8:59pm On Sep 19, 2017
Govt of propaganda. They keep hiding the stats that expose our overall performance. What's the use of Borrowing to check recession? We are out of recession but in deeper debt as a nation.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by okosodo: 9:01pm On Sep 19, 2017
The worst president in history, secnd is babangida and third is abacha. Please dispute me with facts and not with the mumu corruption rhetoric that they have used to destroy your sense of reasoning
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by Desyner: 9:06pm On Sep 19, 2017
NaijaEfcc:
Out of the current total figure of $15.047 billion, the Federal Government accounts for $11.106 billion, or about 74 per cent, while the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja owe about $3.94 billion, or 26 per cent.. Where did the money go into? How many roads was done by this administration?? Any projects done at all Where is our money!!! angry How can I pay for what I did not eat !!?? Be in debt for money, that I did not spend?? angry
Aregbesola style. Borrow into the next admin pocket and use it forcefully grow the economy out of recession.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by naija404040: 9:08pm On Sep 19, 2017
Blame Yorubaas...they put him there and are happy with him there. And the economy and borrowing is managed by a yorubaa woman.
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by RomeSankara: 9:12pm On Sep 19, 2017
But Buhari has always been a failure in governance so no surprises here but my only worry is that the guy actually has some people cheering him on ...these are the kind of facts they have been using this whole unnecessary IPOB thing to distract the country from
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by Splashme: 9:41pm On Sep 19, 2017
NaijaEfcc:
We are in trouble embarassed 40percent in just 2years !!!! I don't even want to imagine what will it will be in the next 2years?? Double?? embarassed hey lawd !!! Sarrki omenka omenkalives Ngenenkwenu modath madridguy omenkalives gbawe blackpanda vedaxcool dropshot come and explain this!! angry Very soon una BMC peanuts wey dey cover una eye go soon finish! Una eye go clear!! Lalasticlala !!! Mynd44 !!!
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by omenka(m): 5:50am On Sep 20, 2017
NaijaEfcc:
Wow! Aren't you people such wonderful people?

Are we to suddenly believe the same NBS whom you people tagged an arm of APC being controlled by "liar Mohammed" when they said, just a couple of weeks ago, that the country is out of recession? You terrorists even created threads on this forum calling them liars and nothing but government propaganda machine.

Aren't they still under APC's thumb?

You see, when we keep telling you kids to always place emotions aside when you react to issues, you insult us, but more often than not, you tend to come back to eat exactly where you shiit and piss- totally unhygienic behavior characteristic of a pig.

You did it with SR and just about every other news outlet that either criticises Jonathan or applauds APC.

Learn to act like human beings with a functional brain.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by NaijaEfcc: 6:57am On Sep 20, 2017
omenka:
Wow! Aren't you people such wonderful people?

Are we to suddenly believe the same NBS whom you people tagged an arm of APC being controlled by "liar Mohammed" when they said, just a couple of weeks ago, that the country is out of recession? You terrorists even created threads on this forum calling them liars and nothing but government propaganda machine.

Aren't they still under APC's thumb?

You see, when we keep telling you kids to always place emotions aside when you react to issues, you insult us, but more often than not, you tend to come back to eat exactly where you shiit and piss- totally unhygienic behavior characteristic of a pig.

You did it with SR and just about every other news outlet that either criticises Jonathan or applauds APC.

Learn to act like human beings with a functional brain.
before I address this boy, let me call lalasticlala and mynd44 to come and see how many rules he has broken and do the needful!

Back to the issue, I guess anybody that has a honest, not money or tribal or hate or political induced different view from buharists especially the money induced ones (I think all are money induced cos no sensible person with conscience and realities on ground would still be a buharists) will be either a pdp member or ipob or opposition!!! Get a brain boy!!! Fact will always be fact !!

Stick to the topic!! How come our debt is increasing when no tangible project has been done?? And the"recovered looted funds" nko ??

This government is a disaster!! Lalasticlala this needs to be on the front page to enlighten Nigerians!!!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by omenka(m): 7:07am On Sep 20, 2017
NaijaEfcc:
before I address this boy, let me call lalasticlala and mynd44 to come and see how many rules he has broken and do the needful!

Back to the issue, I guess anybody that has a honest, not money or tribal or hate or political induced different view from buharists especially the money induced ones (I think all are money induced cos no sensible person with conscience and realities on ground would still be a buharists) will be either a pdp member or ipob or opposition!!! Get a brain boy!!! Fact will always be fact !!

Stick to the topic!! How come our debt is increasing when no tangible project has been done?? And the"recovered looted funds" nko ??

This government is a disaster!! Lalasticlala this needs to be on the front page to enlighten Nigerians!!!!!
You must be out of your mind. Where were rules broken? If anyone broke any rule, it was you from your initial post.

Why call me out when I was minding my own business? Why tag me "BMC" being "paid peanuts to lie for the government"?

Are you the one who employed me?

Are you the one paying me?

Nonsense.

Like I said, if one eats where they piss and shiit, they display character typical of pigs. That isn't Calling anyone a pig, it is only enlightening people on how pigs behave.

This space is big enough for all of us. Mind your business and I'd mind mine.
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Debt Up By 40% Under Buhari — NBS by obailala(m): 7:24am On Sep 20, 2017
Hmmm...

(1) (Reply)

See Whats Going On In Alimosho Lga / Pls Teach Me Online Biz That Can Help Me / Uber Advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.