Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan (1596 Views)

Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri / NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari / NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 1:56pm On Mar 02, 2010
NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan
Adeola Yusuf
1 March 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lagos — Reforms in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) is irreversible despite forces against the move, acting President Goodluck Jonathan has said.

Jonathan said this at the formal opening of the four-day 10th Nigeria Oil and Gas (NOG) Conference in Abuja.

He said while the challenge of restructuring the corporation was daunting, government would not rest on its oars until it achieved the desired goal.

"Fashioned along the lines of other successful national oil companies, the new NNPC will not get grants from the government.

"It will be operated as a business concern that is conscious of its mission, able to borrow from the capital market and pay dividends to its shareholders.

"It is a company that will acquire capacity to operate within and beyond our national boundaries.

"As a business concern, the new NNPC will be required to pay to the government royalties and taxes just like any other company," Jonathan said.

He said the Federal Government was unwavering in its commitment to pursue the reform in the sector in order to achieve the desired objectives.

The Acting President expressed regret about the present situation where majority of Nigerians were denied the benefit of power supply, "which the petroleum industry can guarantee through gas".

"For Nigeria to be exporting gas and yet do not have this vital resource for domestic power generation is like a farmer, who after a bumper harvest sells off all his or her produce.

"The farmer spends the proceeds on other material things and consigns the family to living in hunger! It is not and will never be a wise proposition," he said.

Jonathan appealed to the National Assembly to expedite action on the passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill, saying it was central to the energy reform agenda of the government.

He assured that the implementation of the post amnesty programmes was on course, adding that government would no longer tolerate criminal activities and economic sabotage in the Niger Delta region.

Earlier, the Minister of Petroleum, Dr. Rilwan Lukman, had said the conference, initiated 10 years ago, had provided a forum for constructive dialogue by stakeholders in the industry.

He challenged participants to engage in productive discussion that would transform the sector.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201003020499.html
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by ASL33: 3:14pm On Mar 02, 2010
Beaf:

Adeola Yusuf
1 March 2010
Earlier, the Minister of Petroleum, Dr. Rilwan Lukman, had said the conference, initiated 10 years ago, had provided a forum for constructive dialogue by stakeholders in the industry.
I thought i read somewhere that Lukman has resigned as pet minister
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Kx: 3:17pm On Mar 02, 2010
ASL33:

I thought i read somewhere that Lukman has resigned as pet minister

That same "somewhere" you read of Lukman's resignation
added that Jonathan rejected pet minister's resignation.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 3:39pm On Mar 02, 2010
Beaf:

Adeola Yusuf
1 March 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lagos — Reforms in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) is irreversible despite forces against the move, acting President Goodluck Jonathan has said.

Jonathan said this at the formal opening of the four-day 10th Nigeria Oil and Gas (NOG) Conference in Abuja.

He said while the challenge of restructuring the corporation was daunting, government would not rest on its oars until it achieved the desired goal.

"Fashioned along the lines of other successful national oil companies, the new NNPC will not get grants from the government.

"It will be operated as a business concern that is conscious of its mission, able to borrow from the capital market and pay dividends to its shareholders.

"It is a company that will acquire capacity to operate within and beyond our national boundaries.

"As a business concern, the new NNPC will be required to pay to the government royalties and taxes just like any other company," Jonathan said.

He said the Federal Government was unwavering in its commitment to pursue the reform in the sector in order to achieve the desired objectives.

The Acting President expressed regret about the present situation where majority of Nigerians were denied the benefit of power supply, "which the petroleum industry can guarantee through gas".

"For Nigeria to be exporting gas and yet do not have this vital resource for domestic power generation is like a farmer, who after a bumper harvest sells off all his or her produce.

"The farmer spends the proceeds on other material things and consigns the family to living in hunger! It is not and will never be a wise proposition," he said.

Jonathan appealed to the National Assembly to expedite action on the passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill, saying it was central to the energy reform agenda of the government.

He assured that the implementation of the post amnesty programmes was on course, adding that government would no longer tolerate criminal activities and economic sabotage in the Niger Delta region.

He challenged participants to engage in productive discussion that would transform the sector.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201003020499.html

Hope something will be done and fast too.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 4:04pm On Mar 02, 2010

I cannot help but lof Jonathan. This indeed what NNPC ad Nigeria needs. Over the years NNPC has been a wide open conduit for the brazen theft of our money - straight out of the oil wells into foreign accounts.

. . .Next kick out the twin vultures, Barkindo and Rilwan Lukman. cool cool cool
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by SkyBlue1: 4:13pm On Mar 02, 2010
Beaf:

I cannot help but lof Jonathan. This indeed what NNPC ad Nigeria needs. Over the years NNPC has been a wide open conduit for the brazen theft of our money - straight out of the oil wells into foreign accounts.

. . .Next kick out the twin vultures, Barkindo and Rilwan Lukman. cool cool cool

I dare say your affection is probably born out of the realisation that the man might actually (shock horror) understand some of the problems of Nigeria and some of the things that need to be done. Unfortunately, such has not been uncommon. The issue is not undernstanding the problem, but if he would have the guts to do what needs to be done even if it means stepping on toes and exposing what has been hidden. It might shock you to know that not all in power are dumb idiots who do not know what to do; I know we like to tell ourselves this lie as a means of coming to terms with or trying to understand the lack of progress; but such a view is, to be honest, a tad arrogant. He gets no marks for understanding the problem, let us see if he would be able to push through on a solution to the problem and do what needs to be done.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Ibime(m): 5:58pm On Mar 02, 2010
So basically, NNPC is to be privatised. . . whats new about this initiative and how does it benefit us?

We might as well put our hope in OANDO then. . . at least they're already privatised, they're a professional operation, they are already operating "beyond our national boundaries" (being largest shareholders of AIM-listed Equator Exploration). . . in other words, there's nothing to write home about Jonathans statement. . . NNPC has nothing to offer except its refineries.

And If NNPC wanna sell their refineries, they should at least get them operative first. Naija is the only country I know that always try to privatise non-functional companies.  undecided
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by SkyBlue1: 7:40pm On Mar 02, 2010
Ibime:

So basically, NNPC is to be privatised. . . whats new about this initiative and how does it benefit us?

We might as well put our hope in OANDO then. . . at least they're already privatised, they're a professional operation, they are already operating "beyond our national boundaries" (being largest shareholders of AIM-listed Equator Exploration). . . in other words, there's nothing to write home about Jonathans statement. . . NNPC has nothing to offer except its refineries.

And If NNPC wanna sell their refineries, they should at least get them operative first. Naija is the only country I know that always try to privatise non-functional companies.  undecided

Actually privatising NNPC is in the country's national interest; less government money lost either through corruption in the company or sustaining it.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 7:46pm On Mar 02, 2010
Beaf:

Dont start loving yet, let us wait to see action.
talk is cheap
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 10:30am On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

These are not Jonathan's ideas yet. They are Yar'aduas' and the result of work done by the same people you are asking Jonathan to kick out--Lukman. This your hypocrisy is getting too much. Your love for Jonathan is ethnically motivated.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by marvix(m): 11:22am On Mar 03, 2010
Quote from Beaf
This is wat Yaradua dat u detest so much has been tryin to say while seekin support frm everyone involved including the labor unions. I pray d deregulation policy can be implemented in d proper way as envisaged
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 12:02pm On Mar 03, 2010
marvix:

This is wat Yaradua dat u detest so much has been tryin to say while seekin support frm everyone involved including the labor unions. I pray d deregulation policy can be implemented in d proper way as envisaged

Are you a natural blockhead? When did I ever say I detest Yar Adua?

Akanbi_edu:

These are not Jonathan's ideas yet. They are Yar'aduas' and the result of work done by the same people you are asking Jonathan to kick out--Lukman. This your hypocrisy is getting too much. Your love for Jonathan is ethnically motivated.

Jonathan is Ijaw, I am Isoko shocked. Please stop talking rubbish, it has a way of making grown men look stup!d.

@topic
What Jonathan is proposing for the NNPC is the right thing. The NNPC has been run as a looting corporation. Its equivalents in other countries (even those without oil) are building refineries all over the World; they are properly organised, money spinning ventures.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by biina: 12:13pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

Jonathan is Ijaw, I am Isoko shocked. Please stop talking rubbish, it has a way of making grown men look stup!d.

@topic
What Jonathan is proposing for the NNPC is the right thing. The NNPC has been run as a looting corporation. Its equivalents in other countries (even those without oil) are building refineries all over the World; they are properly organised, money spinning ventures.
why cant you give credit where it is due? The reform was initiated by Yaradua as far back as 2007 (and the PIB from much before then). undecided
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 1:58pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

@topic

I see. so there is a difference between Ijaw and Isoko? You are very pathetic. I know your type.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 2:03pm On Mar 03, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

I see. so there is a difference between Ijaw and Isoko? You are very pathetic. I know your type.

Only an id!ot and shameless lackey wouldn't realise that. . . Talking rubbish, has a way of making grown men look stup!d.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 2:26pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

Only an id!ot and shameless lackey wouldn't realise that. . . Talking rubbish, has a way of making grown men look stup!d.

Only an ethnic bigot like you will care to know that. You are the that will say, even if ND is created as a country, " if you do not have oil in your village then you can not share our resources". Itsekiri urhobo isoko ijaw do i care? You people are minority and you still create more minorities. You are retarded.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 2:38pm On Mar 03, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Only an ethnic bigot like you will care to know that. You are the that will say, even if ND is created as a country, " if you do not have oil in your village then you can not share our resources". Itsekiri urhobo isoko ijaw do i care? You people are minority and you still create more minorities. You are retarded.

What a donkey!
Can you not even keep to a simple topic? grin
You have single handedly moved the discussion from reforming of NNPC to;

[list]
[li]Resource control by Itsekiri, Urhobo, Isoko and Ijaw[/li]
[li]Formation of an ND country[/li]
[li]Minority and majority ethnic groups[/li]
[/list]

Damn! grin

Did I say you were a dunce earlier? . . .It is now proven. cool
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 2:43pm On Mar 03, 2010
I know you are not capable of seeing the bigger picture. That's why you have to divide and differentiate to smaller pieces-always.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 2:47pm On Mar 03, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

I know you are not capable of seeing the bigger picture. That's why you have to divide and differentiate to smaller pieces-always.

Right, so in your "bigger picture", reforming NNPC involves;

[list]
[/list]

Its an extremly daft "bigger picture", isn't it?
. . .You got jokes dude.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by SkySpirit(m): 2:53pm On Mar 03, 2010
Now he has started takin charge! lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed undecided
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 2:53pm On Mar 03, 2010
Sky Spirit:

Now he has started takin charge! lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed undecided

I wanna see action and not just talk
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 2:58pm On Mar 03, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I wanna see action and not just talk

Me too, I wish progress will come with more bang. . . But the man is fighting against winshes, Okija in human form, principalities and powers. . .
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 2:59pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

Right, so in your "bigger picture", reforming NNPC involves;

[list]
[/list]

Its an extremly daft "bigger picture", isn't it?
. . .You got jokes dude.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

You are a waste of time and human resources.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 3:04pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

Me too, I wish progress will come with more bang. . . But the man is fighting against winshes, Okija in human form, principalities and powers. . .

Na wa for all of them jare, OBJ talked more than him, Yaradua came into power and bla bla all he wants, yet Nigeria is still worse than ever.
Let then act and do less of talking
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 3:09pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

Looks like preparing excuses for Jonathan in case he fails. Ethnic bigot.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 3:11pm On Mar 03, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

You are a waste of time and human resources.

Dude, accept my sincere sympathy.
It can be hard when you are shown to be talking stup!dly, it is even worse when your words show you to be the label you want to stick on others.
Now, lets talk NNPC, instead of your low IQ.

Fhemmmy:

Na wa for all of them jare, OBJ talked more than him, Yaradua came into power and bla bla all he wants, yet Nigeria is still worse than ever.
Let then act and do less of talking

I am hoping that the fact that we see more of Ima Niboro than Jonathan might be a pointer towad more talk than action, but we have to wait and see (with prayers).
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 3:14pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

I am hoping that the fact that we see more of Ima Niboro than Jonathan might be a pointer towad more talk than action, but we have to wait and see (with prayers).

I am praying for them as well oh.
Cos it is high time we see some action and move Nija forward.
We have all it takes, we have the money, we have the resources, we have the brain, and we have the patience . . . . grin
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 3:36pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

Dude, accept my sincere sympathy.
It can be hard when you are shown to be talking stup!dly, it is even worse when your words show you to be the label you want to stick on others.
Now, lets talk NNPC, instead of your low IQ.

You are so hopeless. What we are telling you is that the reform you are shouting about started since 2007 but since the person that started is not Isoko or whatever, you ethnic binoculars couldn't see it then. Now you are trying to give the credit to your Jonathan. that smacks of ethnic hypocrisy. stop it. it won't help your cause.

And remove that your crying baby. It is childish.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 3:47pm On Mar 03, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

You are so hopeless. What we are telling you is that the reform you are shouting about started since 2007 but since the person that started is not Isoko or whatever, you ethnic binoculars couldn't see it then. Now you are trying to give the credit to your Jonathan. that smacks of ethnic hypocrisy. stop it. it won't help your cause.

Please, pity me and remove that the animation of a baby laughing madly. It is [size=14pt]very painful[/size].

You're so funny, baiting yourself with your own vommit. How daft.
"Ethnic hypocrisy"? I am Isoko, Jonathan is Ijaw shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Have you been drinking akpeteshi since morning?

. . .And I still credit Jonathan. Oya start crying! Ode. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by marvix(m): 5:36pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf wat Akanbi has bin tryin to tel u all along is dat Yaradua started d deregulation of the NNPC tryin to carry evryone along as against Objs by force method and that is y d credit should first be given to Yaradua nd den Jonathan 4 kipin up wit it and those askin 4 quick implementation shld undastand dat all stakeholders or majority should agree and this involves d labor unions and marketers and even ASUU and so on so progress is stil bein made.
These are things dat I hav seen in dis administration dat has always made it seem as though I'm an apologist 4 d govt, and my support 4 2011 is dat Jonathan should either contest as president or he goes as vice to Yaradua who can remain as sick president 4 his 2nd term nd Jonathan remains Ag President gettin things done while d north can therefore claim their 8yr tenure.
We shld not be deceived any northerner who comes 4 a 1st term in 2011 will want to hold on till 2019 so in d overall interest I pitch my tent wit Yaradua/Goodluck Presidency 4 2011 to continue all their reforms.
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by Beaf: 5:52pm On Mar 03, 2010
marvix:

Beaf wat Akanbi has bin tryin to tel u all along is dat Yaradua started d deregulation of the NNPC tryin to carry evryone along as against Objs by force method and that is y d credit should first be given to Yaradua nd den Jonathan 4 kipin up wit it and those askin 4 quick implementation shld undastand dat all stakeholders or majority should agree and this involves d labor unions and marketers and even ASUU and so on so progress is stil bein made.
These are things dat I hav seen in dis administration dat has always made it seem as though I'm an apologist 4 d govt, and my support 4 2011 is dat Jonathan should either contest as president or he goes as vice to Yaradua who can remain as sick president 4 his 2nd term nd Jonathan remains Ag President gettin things done while d north can therefore claim their 8yr tenure.
We shld not be deceived any northerner who comes 4 a 1st term in 2011 will want to hold on till 2019 so in d overall interest I pitch my tent wit Yaradua/Goodluck Presidency 4 2011 to continue all their reforms.

Thanks for that. Akanbi didn't need to go the gutter route (like OBJ) to make his point.
I am 100% aware that Yar Adua started the idea, but he has never been able to even get it going. It has been the same story all through with other projects, that is why he earned the nickname, "baba go slow".
Re: NNPC Reform Irreversible, Says Jonathan by biina: 6:20pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

Thanks for that. Akanbi didn't need to go the gutter route (like OBJ) to make his point.
I am 100% aware that Yar Adua started the idea, but he has never been able to even get it going. It has been the same story all through with other projects, that is why he earned the nickname, "baba go slow".
So who formed the OGIC that submitted the draft bill?  undecided
In fact what has jonathan done (besides continuing from where Yar'adua left off) that makes him derserving of any credit on the process? undecided
It is obvious that, for subjective reasons, you are finding it difficult to credit Yar'adua for his effort, and would rather appropriate it to Jonathan. This is why Akanbi accused you of being  motivated by ethnic bias.

(1) (2) (Reply)

They Have Finished Fashola On Tv Debate. / Akunyili, Ngige Election Inec Declares Rerun Election / Tambuwal & Ihedioha Got Substantial Amount Of Bankole Loot! Deserves Impeachment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.