Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings (769 Views)

Buhari Talks Tough: Saraki Angry, Oyegun & Dogara Smile At APC NEC Meeting (Pics / Boko Haram: FG Acquires 12 Fighter Jets / Boko-Haram: FG Needs Amnesty From Us Not Contrary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 02, 2010
The Federal Government has said that arrangements were in the pipeline to criminalise torture and extra-judicial executions in the country.

The Federation Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Prince Adetokunboh Kayode (SAN) made the disclosure Tuesday in his office while meeting with the members of the National Committee on Torture.

He declared that the government was scandalized by the Aljazeera documentary on extra-judicial killings in the country.

He however vowed that the allegation implied in the documentary would be investigated with culprits brought to book.

Tokunboh (SAN) who said that his tenure would ensure the criminalization of torture and extra-judicial killings also noted yesterday that there was need for an urgent and holistic review of the nation’s criminal justice system.

Adetokunbo said the government was bothered about the impression that the heinous crimes go largely uninvestigated and unpunished as reflected in the documentary aired by Aljazeera, a foreign cable television on the Boko Haram unrest and Amnesty International’s report alleging extra judicial killings by the Nigerian Police.

This impression, he said “undermines our image as a nation of laws that is committed to the human rights provisions in our constitution as well as our international human rights obligations.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/02/boko-haram-fg-talks-tough-vows-to-criminalise-torture-extra-judicial-killings/
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by blacksta(m): 7:09pm On Mar 02, 2010
Look a this failed chap talking from his a ss - He pretends like he doesn't know extra judicial killings happens In Nigeria so if al-Jazeera did not air the show would he have been made aware.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by ElRazur: 7:27pm On Mar 02, 2010
Yawn.

This is not the first time and I can bet my wages it is not the last. This won't even be in the news if not because of the video that was reportedly shown on Aljazeera about Extra judicial killings in Naija. YeYe people.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by ElRazur: 7:29pm On Mar 02, 2010
Hold on a min. Lmaoooooo **breathe** so it is not even a criminal offence at the moment? They are just about to "criminalise it"? Hahahahaha. Lmao. Hahahaha.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by Fhemmmy: 7:32pm On Mar 02, 2010
good joke for a joke section . . . Again
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by ElRazur: 7:34pm On Mar 02, 2010
So is Murder not illegal in Nigeria then? There isn't a need for any new laws in my opinion when existing law appears to cover the same crime. Or am I missing something .
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by Fhemmmy: 7:38pm On Mar 02, 2010
ElRazur:

So is Murder no illegal in Nigeria then? There isn't a need for any laws in my opinion when existing law appears to cover the same crime. Or am I missing something .

I am sure soon, we will all know what we are missing
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by tunnytox(m): 7:52pm On Mar 02, 2010
i don't know how they are going to criminalise torture, the Nigerian police still rely on this stone age method for forcing out confessions on 'criminals' while other nations are already using forensic technology. Its a shame some police stations in Nigeria look like a manger!, no computer, no proper record keeping of criminals and their identities and absolutely no clue about mordern method of investigation.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by RichyBlacK(m): 7:54pm On Mar 02, 2010
This clearly shows the worthlessness of life in Nigeria.

All these foo.lish "vows" by idi.otic nincompoops pretending to know the law is really sickening.

The Nigerian Police and the Nigerian Army are band of murderers!
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by ElRazur: 7:57pm On Mar 02, 2010
tunnytox:

i don't know how they are going to criminalise torture, the Nigerian police still rely on this stone age method for forcing out confessions on 'criminals' while other nations are already using forensic technology. Its a shame some police stations in Nigeria look like a manger!, no computer, no proper record keeping of criminals and their identities and absolutely no clue about mordern method of investigation. 

I did forensic science in my first year, I learnt a lot of stuff and to implement some of those things in Nigeria and for it to be effective, we are looking at millions of pounds in training, equipment and changing of several laws - Or at least rewriting a few.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by RichyBlacK(m): 8:08pm On Mar 02, 2010
This video:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2010/02/2010298114949112.html

is evidence that the Nigerian Police Force and the Nigerian Army are made up of the most despicable souls walking the face of the earth.

These devilish murderers shot and killed innocent civilians, including the aged and crippled, in cold blood in broad day light.

May those members of the Nigerian Police and the Nigerian Army who committed these atrocities never know peace in this life or the next and may their souls be tortured for all eternity. May everything they do amount to nothing and may whatever gives them happiness or joy burn to ashes. May they die gruesomely and vultures consume their corpses. May God never forgive them for the evil they've committed. Amen.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by ElRazur: 8:16pm On Mar 02, 2010
RichyBlacK:

This video:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2010/02/2010298114949112.html

is evidence that the Nigerian Police Force and the Nigerian Army are made up of the most despicable souls walking the face of the earth.

These devilish murderers shot and killed innocent civilians, including the aged and crippled, in cold blood in broad day light.

May those members of the Nigerian Police and the Nigerian Army who committed these atrocities never know peace in this life or the next and may their souls be tortured for all eternity. May everything they do amount to nothing and may whatever gives them happiness or joy burn to ashes. May they die gruesomely and vultures consume their corpses. May God never forgive them for the evil they've committed. Amen.

Nigeria.   .    .    .    . God's very own toilet.

grin
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by RichyBlacK(m): 8:21pm On Mar 02, 2010
ElRazur:

Nigeria.   .    .    .    . God's very own toilet.

grin

I'm ashamed of that country a lot of times. Very backward, barbaric people inhabiting that place called Nigeria. How can such atrocities happen and nobody is being prosecuted? And some fool wants me to go back to that land of barbarians? Chukwu ekwela ihe ojo.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by ElRazur: 8:27pm On Mar 02, 2010
RichyBlacK:

I'm ashamed of that country a lot of times. Very backward, barbaric people inhabiting that place called Nigeria. How can such atrocities happen and nobody is being prosecuted? And some fool wants me to go back to that land of barbarians? Chukwu ekwela ihe ojo.

You are right.

This is the time the court [Criminal Prosecution Service or equivalent back home] should be seen doing active. The killings are barbaric, how they heck those people on crutches are criminals or armed men is beyond me.

One thing that sickens me is the fact that an outsider had to make a report on this incident - that happened about how many months ago - before the government is seen to be doing something about it?

I wonder what the out some will be. From the video link, it is clear the Men in uniform committed Murder in a barbaric way, if these people are not brought to justices in the light of the recent evidence, then Nigeria is more or less a Banana republic.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by RichyBlacK(m): 9:25pm On Mar 02, 2010
ElRazur:

You are right.

This is the time the court [Criminal Prosecution Service or equivalent back home] should be seen doing active. The killings are barbaric, how they heck those people on crutches are criminals or armed men is beyond me.

One thing that sickens me is the fact that an outsider had to make a report on this incident - that happened about how many months ago - before the government is seen to be doing something about it?

I wonder what the out some will be. From the video link, it is clear the Men in uniform committed Murder in a barbaric way, if these people are not brought to justices in the light of the recent evidence, then Nigeria is more or less a Banana republic.

When will Nigerians stop behaving like barbarians from hell?
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by 1luvkipsus: 9:35pm On Mar 02, 2010
Why all d hullabalo abt this extra judicial killin?what abt d killins by d boko haram sect?were they 'inter'judicial killings?he who kills by d sword must surely die by d sword.M'hmed Yusuf &his men killed mercilessly,& they were also killed mercilessly.
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by ElRazur: 9:46pm On Mar 02, 2010
1luvkipsus:

Why all d hullabalo abt this extra judicial killin?what abt d killins by d boko haram sect?were they 'inter'judicial killings?he who kills by d sword must surely die by d sword.M'hmed Yusuf &his men killed mercilessly,& they were also killed mercilessly.

Actually, the men who killed the boko haram people did so unlawfully, that is the point.

RichyBlacK:

When will Nigerians stop behaving like barbarians from hell?

I have no idea to be honest. I guess my people will change when they really see the need to. undecided
Re: Boko Haram: Fg Talks Tough, Vows To Criminalise Torture, Extra-judicial Killings by RichyBlacK(m): 9:53pm On Mar 02, 2010
1luvkipsus:

Two left turns do not give you a right turn.

(1) (Reply)

World Cup 2010 & Racism Still Rife In South Africa: Watch The Shocking Video! / Produce Ibori Within 48 Hours, Onovo Orders Dig, Aig, Delta Cp / How Is Ibb Better Than Gej Or Vice Versa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.