Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,903 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending (3550 Views)

CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% / Objectives For Bank Lending / Nigeria Exchange Rates To Dollar-history (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by timbuktu1: 8:00pm On Mar 02, 2010
"We will reduce the level of interest the banks earn with us to encourage them to seek other areas, which means lending," Mr. Sanusi said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Fhemmmy: 8:10pm On Mar 02, 2010
Do we need any stimulus?
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by blacksta(m): 8:14pm On Mar 02, 2010
Stimulating an economy that does not trickle down to the masses. Banks dont lend and if they do lend is with stringent conditions
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Fhemmmy: 8:15pm On Mar 02, 2010
blacksta:

Stimulating an economy that does not trickle down to the masses. Banks dont lend and if they do lend is with stringent conditions

Lol
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 8:20pm On Mar 02, 2010
blacksta:

Stimulating an economy that does not trickle down to the masses.  Banks dont lend and if they do lend is with stringent conditions
Generally, effective stimulation would trickle down to the masses via job creation, and not through the bank lending you money. More relevant in this case is the proposed financial support for the power sector, which should result in improved power supply and thus improved productivity in the economy, and, increased standard of living for everyone.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by timbuktu1: 8:21pm On Mar 02, 2010
blacksta:

Stimulating an economy that does not trickle down to the masses.  Banks dont lend and if they do lend is with stringent conditions

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5531935-184/making_money____.csp
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Fhemmmy: 8:32pm On Mar 02, 2010
biina:

Generally, effective stimulation would trickle down to the masses via job creation, and not through the bank lending you money. More relevant in this case is the proposed financial support for the power sector, which should result in improved power supply and thus improved productivity in the economy, and, increased standard of living for everyone.

Any normal society knows that small business and middle ones are what drives the economy and dont have to be a billion $$ biz to be able to create jobs.
The banks needs to give money to people, such as farmers and all that to be able to make things happen.
they need to invest into investors
Needs to give money to people that can start small biz and people that wanna invest into already existing biz.
That is what create jobs.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by blacksta(m): 9:00pm On Mar 02, 2010
biina:

I guess you have you have answered the question  - with the above  - Stimulating the economy without it benefiting small medium business is complete waste of time. Money should be diverted somewhere else.  I suspect the so cold funds will be used to bolster deplted customer deposits by the so called useless banks
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Fhemmmy: 9:30pm On Mar 02, 2010
blacksta:

I guess you have you have answered the question  - with the above  - Stimulating the economy without it benefiting small medium business is complete waste of time. Money should be diverted somewhere else.  I suspect the so cold funds will be used to bolster deplted customer deposits by the so called useless banks

Lol
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by 4Play(m): 9:37pm On Mar 02, 2010
If the banks are undercapitalised, they shouldn't and won't increase lending.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Fhemmmy: 9:47pm On Mar 02, 2010
4 Play:

If the banks are undercapitalised, they shouldn't and won't increase lending.

The lending has never gone to the right people
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 9:55pm On Mar 02, 2010
blacksta:

The CBN is not responsible for lending directly to businesses.
The move to reduce interests on bank deposits with the CBN will act as an incentive for banks to lend to the private sector, and improved power supply will only help increase production and help manufacturers meet their loan obligations. These will all benefit businesses at all levels.

Fhemmmy:

Lol
undecided
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 9:56pm On Mar 02, 2010
Fhemmmy:

The lending has never gone to the right people
why?
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 02, 2010
na true una dey talk oh!
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Fhemmmy: 10:35pm On Mar 02, 2010
biina:

why?

Ask the Nigerian govt and their people
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by naijaking1: 11:00pm On Mar 02, 2010
Waiting for the CBN to stimulate the economy
Please, wait until we have a CBN governor who understands what that means angry
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 11:01pm On Mar 02, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Ask the Nigerian govt and their people
If you dont know, then what were the basis for your earlier statements? undecided
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by RoadStar: 12:18am On Mar 03, 2010
What is the impact of the $2bn late last year by FG.
Was there any impact assessment.
Now CBN is about to spend more.

CBN should try and stem the mass sack in the banking sector before trying to induce jobs in other sectors

Maybe re-open the EDW(Soludos approach) but with another name (Sanusi approach) grin grin
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by naijaking1: 12:22am On Mar 03, 2010
^^^^
You have a better understanding of economics than Sanusi
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by RoadStar: 12:34am On Mar 03, 2010
Many countries try and implement various policy models which work to an extend or fail with lessons learnt.

The former CBN administration had looked to finance SMEs which make a huge chunk of the Economy through governments support of banks and MFBs.

These banks were supposed to have been supported until and extent where they could become a major alternative to government spending.

When sanusi took over office, he acknowledged that for the first time in Nigerias history, banks had narrowly overtaken government spending as a source of public financing.

Now all that is history.

Now the model has been scrapped by excessive government interventions with some the banks accused of over lending or careless lending.

I predicted that banks will slip to a comatose stage after all the dust has settled and alas that is happening right now.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 2:00am On Mar 03, 2010
RoadStar:

What is the impact of the $2bn late last year by FG.
Was there any impact assessment.
Now CBN is about to spend more.

CBN should try and stem the mass sack in the banking sector before trying to induce jobs in other sectors

Maybe re-open the EDW(Soludos approach) but with another name (Sanusi approach) grin grin

The $2bn was from the excess crude oil account and was disbursed to the FG and states accounts to ensure funding of capital projects and avoid recession. CBN did not 'spend', money.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by freezy(m): 9:52am On Mar 03, 2010
biina:

The $2bn was from the excess crude oil account and was disbursed to the FG and states accounts to ensure funding of capital projects and avoid recession. CBN did not 'spend', money.

Ok, but what was the impact? Any impact assessment report? I'm not sure I can pinpoint any particular effect other than the worsening fuel crisis which is directly making life difficult in all areas for everyone.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 10:44am On Mar 03, 2010
freezy:

Ok, but what was the impact? Any impact assessment report? I'm not sure I can pinpoint any particular effect other than the worsening fuel crisis which is directly making life difficult in all areas for everyone.
The same impact you get when the different levels of govt get their monthly allocations i.e. they have funds to meet their obligations. The government simply paid themselves a 13th month salary. To evaluate how well they met their obligations or how much it affected their local economy, you would have to assess it on a state by state basis. The funds were not meant for the private sector nor were they fuel subsidies.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by otokx(m): 11:04am On Mar 03, 2010
The fastest way to stimulate the economy right now is to sign the federal budget into law and ensure that salaries are paid as at when due every month.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by RoadStar: 1:09am On Mar 04, 2010
biina:

The same impact you get when the different levels of govt get their monthly allocations i.e. they have funds to meet their obligations. The government simply paid themselves a 13th month salary. To evaluate how well they met their obligations or how much it affected their local economy, you would have to assess it on a state by state basis. The funds were not meant for the private sector nor were they fuel subsidies.

So why should this one be different ?
Sanusi of all people should know that the present inability of banks to lend to the wider economy is not due to unfriendly/tight fiscal policies. undecided
it is due to the huge dent to confidence experienced in the banking sector as a result of the banking crisis.
He is being deceptive by tweaking around interest rates.

I still feel Sanusi should have toned town all that razmataz that had to do with the banking crisis.
He should have focused on fixing the problem without exacerbating it to that extent he did.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Eddeux(m): 1:25am On Mar 04, 2010
why does the economy need to be improved? Isn't Nigeria expected to have exponential growth this year? I personally think that Nigeria's govt shouldn't try to 'stimulate' the economy w/ millions or billions of dollars. That is what the U.S. govt did and our economy may be growing but employment is suffering. I think the economy could really get moving if the govt let some private players into the energy industry (cause I've been hearing for years how Nigeria will have more power, blah blah blah, I'll believe it when I see it), and most importantly when Nigerian banks start lending money to the right people and learn how to keep in check their balance sheets. If all of this works, then Nigerians could have an easier time obtainining Capital, growth wil accelerate in the energy industry and overall in the economy thanks to more generation of power, and of course if Nigerian workers are paid what they're suppose to and yada yada then maybe consumer spending could help jolt the economy as well (this would work really well if the savings rate increased, banks would have more money to lend out to small businesses). IMAGINE IF ALL OF THIS HAPPENED AT ONCE, NIGERIA COULD BE THE WORLD'S FASTEST GROWING ECONOMY  cheesy

but of course little me just lives in America and I have no clue of the conditions in Nigeria.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 1:43am On Mar 04, 2010
RoadStar:

So why should this one be different ?
Sanusi of all people should know that the present inability of banks to lend to the wider economy is not due to unfriendly/tight fiscal policies. undecided
it is due to the huge dent to confidence experienced in the banking sector as a result of the banking crisis.
He is being deceptive by tweaking around interest rates.
because they are different things. In the prior case, the CBN disbursed money from the excess crude oil account to stop the illiquidity in the economy from grinding governemnt to a halt by giving them money (that is theirs) to spend on their obligation, where in the current case the CBN is reducing its deposit interest rates so to discourage the banks from keeping money with the CBN and encourage them to lend t both governemnt and the private sector. CBN is not giving anyone money.

I still feel Sanusi should have toned town all that razmataz that had to do with the banking crisis.
He should have focused on fixing the problem without exacerbating it to that extent he did.
Sanusi fired the corrupt executives, input neede capital to shore up the banks, appointed interim management to oversee the banks (that are now essentially running on tax payers money) and tried to help the banks recover some of the bad debts by publicly pursuing the debtors (a move that made a significant number of those debtors reconcile their accounts)

It was the sacked executives and some misguided Nigerians that were spreading doom and gloom, and claiming an hidden agenda (that is yet to materialize) that caused most of the downtown. The stock market decline had begun before Sanusi took office, but some people would rather blame him for it.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by RoadStar: 2:17am On Mar 04, 2010
biina:

because they are different things. In the prior case, the CBN disbursed money from the excess crude oil account to stop the illiquidity in the economy from grinding governemnt to a halt by giving them money (that is theirs) to spend on their obligation, where in the current case the CBN is reducing its deposit interest rates so to discourage the banks from keeping money with the CBN and encourage them to lend t both governemnt and the private sector. CBN is not giving anyone money.
Sanusi fired the corrupt executives, input neede capital to shore up the banks, appointed interim management to oversee the banks (that are now essentially running on tax payers money) and tried to help the banks recover some of the bad debts by publicly pursuing the debtors (a move that made a significant number of those debtors reconcile their accounts)

It was the sacked executives and some misguided Nigerians that were spreading doom and gloom, and claiming an hidden agenda (that is yet to materialize) that caused most of the downtown. The stock market decline had begun before Sanusi took office, but some people would rather blame him for it.

To cut the long story short.

In your own opinion
Which is the biggest culprit to why you think banks are not lending ?
Is it the impact of the crisis or is it the interest rates.

If the 2billion government stimulation did not bear much fruit.
Do you think the banks in their present state can make a difference.

In my opinion
I think that sanusis actions (wheter in good fate or not) has negatively impacted the banking sector.
I also think it will take years to come outta this mess and and reap the fruits of sanusis actions (If it bears any fruits).

On a more serious note the government should look at alternative options to stimulate the economy asides  these banks.
Because for now the banks are in a perpetual crisis, more complex than just adjusting interest rates.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 2:53am On Mar 04, 2010
RoadStar:

To cut the long story short.

In your own opinion
Which is the biggest culprit to why you think banks are not lending ?
Is it the impact of the crisis or is it the interest rates.
Both. The downturn in the stock market and oil prices was what drove banks into hiding, Sanusi's actions eliminated the illegal routes they could have used to continue with biz as usual, and the subsequent spread of doom and gloom have made everyone cautious of coming out of their dormant state.

If the 2billion government stimulation did not bear much fruit.
Do you think the banks in their present state can make a difference.
The 2billion payment was to buoy the economy and prevent recession. It was never aimed at directly inducing activity in the financial or industrial sector.
The lower interest rates will make banks have to start lending again. The banks are all healthy and can lend. They are just hesitant since their prior brides of stocks and oil& gas are no more. This kind of illiquidity is normal after a bubble  bust, as all become wary of investments.

In my opinion
I think that sanusis actions (wheter in good fate or not) has negatively impacted the banking sector.
I also think it will take years to come outta this mess and and reap the fruits of sanusis actions (If it bears any fruits).
I disagree and feel Sanusi's actions is the best thing that has happened in the sector since I can remember. The worst is over, and the troubled banks should be weaned by September.
If we dont have any political instabilities or malignant acts by some that may feel aggrieved because their illegal siphon tubes have been blocked, we should have what consolidation promised within the next 2 years, and can only get better from there. I will suggest you read a copy of the speech Sanusi gave at Bayero in which he outlined his plans. The only thing I want more is a clamp down on round tripping and the forex black market, but that may be wishful thinking given that he is a northerner.

On a more serious note the government should look at alternative options to stimulate the economy asides  these banks.
Because for now the banks are in a perpetual crisis, more complex than just adjusting interest rates.
The banks are always the best tool for stimulating the economy for an open system like ours and the use of interests is practically free to the CBN.
Like i said earlier, the banks are fine, and they just need potential customers that would not only turnover the loan, but also add growth to the economy. A good aspect is the power generation which would help domestic productions. Banks should not be focused on import-retail which does not help our situation. Also government can assist by improving the legal system and credit records.

Its just a shame we dont have complementary officers in other sectors. I am not even sure of what the finance minister has been doing.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 04, 2010
@biina
i have been following your post on nairaland more especially on political conner, i must admit that you are the most sensible poster on nairaland wink wink please keep it up, educate them.
sanusi is my hero[size=8pt][/size]. grin grin grin
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by RoadStar: 11:23am On Mar 04, 2010
@biina
You seem to be overzealous in your job of trying to justify Sanusis actions.

That is not what I am interested in at the moment.
I am just trying to asses the present situation with the banks and and how it affecets economy.

In you own judgement a banking sector which had a credit line facility from CBN shut down (Justifiable or not).
Numerous previously established international credit lines closed. Many investors have pullled out.
Alleinated many of the major players in the sector.(Mind you every banking sector has them)
Many have had their management dismissed and replaced with new and external management.

The general values of these banks have plummeted due to the crash in their share values.
Trying to recover loans, adjusting to the new operating conditions under Sanusis CBN.
Many are still downsizing.
As I am typing out right now a lot of these banks are still sacking workers.
basically, all the banks are still undergoing some form of restructuring, many have been asked by even sanusi himself to raise their capital base. (Asides the 8 bailed out banks)

And in your own opinion, interest rates have an equal effect with all the above. undecided
Well I beg to differ .

You even dismissed the situation by saying that "The worst is over, and the troubled banks should be weaned by September."(In Sanusis words of course) Do you think the crisis affected just the 8 banks bailed out ?
Do you really think its gonna be that easy  undecided

If Sanusi was quick in exposing the rot and the inadequacies of the banking sector and is still doing it till at least last week with another speach.
It will be deceitful and of very poor judgement if he is now trying to play down or hide the effects.
By pretending that the banks are in a normal state as if the whole thing is just about some errant CEOs. undecided

If this is how Sanusi sees the whole crisis, then this is a huge miscalculation on his part.
He might have just presided over the biggest government induced crisis in Nigerias banking history.
Re: CBN Lowers Rates To Encourage Bank Lending by biina: 12:16pm On Mar 04, 2010
RoadStar:

@biina
You seem to be overzealous in your job of trying to justify Sanusis actions.
undecided

That is not what I am interested in at the moment.
I am just trying to asses the present situation with the banks and and how it affecets economy.
I suggest you read the audit reports.

In you own judgement a banking sector which had a credit line facility from CBN shut down (Justifiable or not).
Numerous previously established international credit lines closed. Many investors have pullled out.
Alleinated many of the major players in the sector.(Mind you every banking sector has them)
Many have had their management dismissed and replaced with new and external management.
The general values of these banks have plummeted due to the crash in their share values.
Trying to recover loans, adjusting to the new operating conditions under Sanusis CBN.
Many are still downsizing.
As I am typing out right now a lot of these banks are still sacking workers.
basically, all the banks are still undergoing some form of restructuring, many have been asked by even sanusi himself to raise their capital base. (Asides the 8 bailed out banks)
and you think things will get worse? The banks have been audited, and those with shortcomings given directives to rectify their positions.
You make reference to ongoing activities as if they will continue indefinitely. Will the banks keep sacking forever? Have healthy banks not been receiving new credit lines? Has foreign ratings not improved? Is the change of management not restricted to the distressed ones? is being asked to raise your capital base now a sign of distress?

And in your own opinion, interest rates have an equal effect with all the above. undecided
Well I beg to differ .
So in your opinion all the banks are under capitalized and cannot lend? undecided

You even dismissed the situation by saying that "The worst is over, and the troubled banks should be weaned by September."(In Sanusis words of course) Do you think the crisis affected just the 8 banks bailed out ?
Do you really think its gonna be that easy  undecided
and where is your evidence that it is not?  undecided When you know the problem and can implement the solution, it is really that easy.
Your are simply crying wolf, when there is none.

If Sanusi was quick in exposing the rot and the inadequacies of the banking sector and is still doing it till at least last week with another speach.
It will be deceitful and of very poor judgement if he is now trying to play down or hide the effects.
By pretending that the banks are in a normal state as if the whole thing is just about some errant CEOs. undecided
Which speech are you referring to? If its the Bayero address, it seems you havent read it  first hand and are only commenting on second hand info.
Have the banks not been audited, or do you expect new revelations that were missed in the audit?
Have the banks not provisioned for their bad debts? Is the AMC not being established? The problems in the sector have been identified and are being addressed.
A few months ago some of you were claiming there was nothing wrong with the banks, and now you are singing a different tune that the problem is everlasting
The CBN identified the problems (and this was common knowledge even before soludo took over) and took the necessary actions. Do you want him to start chasing ghosts? undecided

If this is how Sanusi sees the whole crisis, then this is a huge miscalculation on his part.
He might have just presided over the biggest government induced crisis in Nigerias banking history.
Get your self properly informed before making allegations.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Swift Pay Investment Is Scam / Automated Forex Grail Free EA Download For Forex Traders / How To Get N5000 Everytime You Refer A Friend To United Bank For Africa (UBA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.