Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,489 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Nigeria And Militancy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Militancy (607 Views)

Buhari Deploys Service Chiefs To Niger Delta Over Rising Militancy. / Blame Jonathan For N'delta Militancy Attacks - Oshiomhole / “jonathan Or Not, Niger Delta ‘ll Resume Militancy This Year” – Annkio Briggs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Militancy by Ikengawo: 8:46pm On Mar 02, 2010
I dont think africans, including nigerians, really understand what a country is or it's objectives are.
We seem to think the point of a country is purely economic and it's not, this is why the race to economic stability and prosperity has been long and hard.

The point of a country, for every developed country, is almost completely military.
everything ties back to achieving a military end and military threat is the fastest most grounded booster of development in human history.

Africans think that developing is for pure altruism, something the government should do cause it's nice.

but all major countries developed not for the sake of development, but because of a external military threat and realization of the importance of the military.

Japan- The japanese refused to develop and westernize for a large part of their history. It was Perry, and american commander who scared them into doing it cause he arrived to their island with large iron war boats the japanese had never seen before. They understood that if they didn't develop fast they would be utterly raped for resources like all other countries except the western ones in that era (the colonial era)

so the set themselves on a crash coarse to develop, not out of kindness, but out of the daunting realization that countries need to develop to form strong armies and a country with a weak army will be a colony, or western puppet, like most states in africa, if no wiped from the face of this earth (like most south american and native north american tribes)

United States- You can't name a single major development in the US that doesn't or didn't have a military end. Economics is secondary. The US interstate system was built so that weapons can be transported from one end of the vast country to another fast and uninterrupted in time of domestic attack. The result, the US interstate system boosted the economy of america tremendously and lead to the creation of the worlds largest middle class. It's also the largest human works project in history.
Panama Canal. the panama canal, used almost entirely for trade today was built because Theodore Roosevelt realized that it would be a month long process to get navy boats from the west coast to the east and vis a versa in time of war and thus the US had 2 weak navies instead of 1 strong united one. So he embarked on digging a canal to ease the trip and strengthen the US's ability to develop militarily first and economically second.

Europe- all the countries in europe developed out of fear that the neighbor will surpass and surpress them, which often happened. Nobody needs to remind anyone of the countless technological developments that came out of Nazi Germany all in the name of war which changed the technological future of the world.

my point is, africans dont have this war mentality but need it to develop. We need to stop thinking economic development is something nice and the only focus of our countries. Nigeria's army is TRAGICALLY undermanned for instance in a country where unemployed male youths are running rampant and causing all types of problems.

we have a force of 100,000 when, because of our size, we should be in the 600,000 to 700,000 range.
Re: Nigeria And Militancy by Ikengawo: 8:50pm On Mar 02, 2010
the state of our roads is a military threat, the 1 sidedness of out income (oil) is a military threat, the lack of patriotism in out populace is a threat, the state of our economy is a threat. The fact that we don't produce heavy industrial goods that can be converted into wartime production (and boost our economy tremendously) is a threat, our taking of nuclear power as a joke or a 'it would be nice to have' as opposed to a live or death situation is a threat, corruption is a military threat, the dismal to non existent state of our navy is a treat, the fact we dont focus of strengthening out hold on countries in the region (economically if not militarily and politically)

is a threat.

security is the key focus of development, not money. Money is simply a means to security.
Re: Nigeria And Militancy by vigasimple(m): 10:18pm On Mar 02, 2010
Until we have a leader with vision and political history behind him things like this will never be thought of.

We need a strong , vibrant nation and institution and ultimately it will dawn on whoever is our leader that with prosperity comes security risks which we have to develop our armed forces not the one that a Colonel somewhere behind the CIC will mobilise 2 battallions of Army during peacetime period to 'invade' our airport to receive a 'former' President.

LEADERSHIP IS EVERYTHING, OTHERWISE FOLLOWERS WILL NOT KNOW WHERE TO GO. GIVE ME 1 GOOD LEADER, I WILL GIVE YOU 100MILLION FOLLOWERS.
Re: Nigeria And Militancy by strangleyo: 10:51pm On Mar 02, 2010
I'm not sure how much of a leadership issue this is.

I spent some time in Yenegoa this year, and speaking to most people has given me the impression most of them are borderline retarded. Even the so called educated ones.
Additionally education is becoming worse. Teachers are idiots.

Nigerians can't produce anything the way things are going, let alone heavy industrial goods.

India is launching lunar probes and finding water in space while we can't even have conduct 1 credible election.

Good luck to developing in the future. When the oil dries up, Nigeria will be Somalia and Congo rolled into 1 fine package of human excrement.
Re: Nigeria And Militancy by asha80(m): 11:49pm On Mar 02, 2010
strangleyo:

I'm not sure how much of a leadership issue this is.

I spent some time in Yenegoa this year, and speaking to most people has given me the impression most of them are borderline retarded. Even the so called educated ones.
Additionally education is becoming worse. Teachers are idiots.

Nigerians can't produce anything the way things are going, let alone heavy industrial goods.

India is launching lunar probes and finding water in space while we can't even have conduct 1 credible election.

Good luck to developing in the future. When the oil dries up, Nigeria will be Somalia and Congo rolled into 1 fine package of human excrement.

chai guy u wicked no be small shocked grin
Re: Nigeria And Militancy by riversman: 12:15am On Mar 03, 2010
Nigeria no get ROAD oh, river niger brige is the sole connector of the East to the rest of the country, hissss
Re: Nigeria And Militancy by Ikengawo: 8:20am On Mar 03, 2010
i dont think africans understand what a country is except south africa and egypt. to an extent ethiopia but they dont have the capacity to practice it.

all this 'be nice to your neighbors' bullshit.

you know how germany became germany. "Blood and iron" in bismarck's own words.

nigeria handing bakassi over was boardline retarded, wtf benefit do we get from Camroon? in all honesty?

Nigerians, leaders and civilians dont take the country seriously and if the country isn't taken seriously the black race will suffer for the next 400 years. This is the expense of a failed nigeria. People think having a country is just about having a soccer team. They don't know the british even developed soccer to keep their men fight for war.

it all ties back to war and this is what africans don't realize

even look at biafra. for a brief moment in history, east nigeria was a middle income country with a functioning EVERYTHING that sprang up over night for the sake of war.

nigerians think having a country is about drawing maps on MSpaint.

(1) (Reply)

Seun's Attitude / Jos Crisis Again / Criminals Can Contest, Says Senate!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.