Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,592 members, 7,809,146 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting (553 Views)

Unmanaged VPS Hosting / Great Offer!! Cheap Unmanaged VPS Hosting @ / Best Unmanaged VPS Hosting In Budget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting by queenst(f): 6:22pm On Sep 21, 2017
I'm so so confused now. How do I set it up? looks so weird here.

Any body
Re: I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting by Jacktheripper: 6:35pm On Sep 21, 2017
Sell it back

1 Like

Re: I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting by queenst(f): 6:47pm On Sep 21, 2017
Jacktheripper:
Sell it back
lol, why
Re: I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting by wwwmaster: 11:44pm On Sep 21, 2017
queenst
You need to ssh into your server via your console.
If you are using Linux OS like Ubuntu desktop just ssh to your server, something like this will do
ssh "username@ipaddress"
You will be prompted to enter your password.

Let me be honest with you, you need to know the a great deal of cli and how network works before you can successfully manage and unmanaged VPS. I can help install your programs and run the firewall but it will not be free.
Contact me if you are interested via WhatsApp @ 0906930536
Re: I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting by goldtooth: 3:38am On Sep 22, 2017
queenst:
I'm so so confused now.
How do I set it up? looks so weird here.

Any body
You can try fiverr to get somebody who will help you set it up
Re: I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting by DualCore1: 12:19pm On Sep 22, 2017
Unmanaged servers are cheaper for a reason. What you save in cost, you pay for in time and experience.

If you have no intention of getting dirty with server commands and you don't fancy a lifetime of Google'ing error messages, combing through stackoverflow and webhostingtalk among others, getting frustrated and getting out of it, having to deal with top'ing your server and watching those CPU load values go from 3 to 100 for seemingly no just cause, having to deal with pulling your hair in plain frustration and many many other scenarios that only a lifetime of Linux'ing can present you with.....................................Cancel that server and get a fully managed server.

Oh well if you don't mind any of the above... and love DIY as much as I do. Welcome aboard! Don't cancel tongue
It all begins with pUTTY (http://www.putty.org/)
Much later when you're comfy and can handle anything any Penquin throws at you, you can switch from puTTY to my favorite: Bitvise (https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client-download)

If you want to host sites with the server. You will need to do the following (in this order):

Install CentOS (it is a Linux distribution)

Change the default SSH port from 22 to something else you can remember, and thats not in use (This is one of the many security tweaks you will get to make in due course, but its a good start)

Install cPanel (Get a cPanel license from anywhere you want... for a VPS license, its about 15 USD)

Install Config Sever Firewall (CSF) and turn it on with the basic setup that it comes it (You need to remove it from test mode first)

Install MalDet (it is a simple malware detection utility)

From this basic setup, you are ready to start hosting sites. You just log into your cPanel WHM interface, create a package and add a hosting account.

You move over to your domain registration site of choice (e.g namesilo.com) register the domain name, create nameservers that point to your VPS's IP address(es) and then point your domain to the nameservers created.

For subsequent domain registrations you can use the same nameservers you created on the first domain.

And so begins your interesting journey into web server administration and webhosting.

Any step you don't understand, Google it before asking. Seriously, Google knows everything.

I will be happy to help you with anything on your server at no cost. As long as I have the time, you're running on CentOS and I have root access.

Enjoy cool

P.S:
I won't recommend giving your server to a Fiverr'er. He may not always be handy when you need him. Again, a fully managed server could turn out cheaper than the cost of the unmanaged server + the fiverr dude's fees anytime you need him (you may need him a lot of times).

1 Like

Re: I Just Bought An Unmanaged VPS Hosting by talk2hb1(m): 1:37pm On Sep 22, 2017
queenst:
I'm so so confused now.
How do I set it up? looks so weird here.

Any body
You are seriously playing with System Security angry
Go snd learn System Administration sharperly

(1) (Reply)

Glo Gives Out More Data Volume On All Auto Renewal Plan. / Why I Stopped Using Mobilepress Plugins On My Wordpress Blog / Help!! I Want To Get An Office Space For My Website. (advice Needed)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.