Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,060 members, 7,953,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:16 PM

Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up (769 Views)

Changpeng Zhao, Binance CEO Says Operations Of Nigerian Subsidiary Is Fraudulent / For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? / How Ogienwonyi Of Started A Life Of Fraud That Scammed Nigerians Of N10 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by Celcius: 11:11pm On Sep 21, 2017
"It's worse than tulip bulbs. It won't end well. Someone is going to get killed," Dimon said.Bitcoin fell to trade around its session lows after Dimon's comments.Dimon's criticism comes at a time when some well-known figures on Wall Street are starting to embrace the cryptocurrency.

Fred Imbert | @foimbert

Jamie Dimon: Governments look at bitcoin as a novelty  3:48 PM ET Tue, 12 Sept 2017 | 01:45

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon took a shot at bitcoin, saying the cryptocurrency "is a fraud."

"It's just not a real thing, eventually it will be closed," Dimon said Tuesday at the Delivering Alpha conference presented by CNBC and Institutional Investor.

Dimon joked that even his daughter bought some bitcoin, looking to cash in on a trend that has seen it soar more than 300 percent this year.

"I'm not saying 'go short bitcoin and sell $100,000 of bitcoin before it goes down," he said. "This is not advice of what to do. My daughter bought bitcoin, it went up and now she thinks she's a genius."

In an appearance at a separate conference earlier in the day, Dimon said bitcoin mania is reminiscent of the tulip bulb craze in the 17th century.

"It's worse than tulip bulbs. It won't end well. Someone is going to get killed," Dimon said at a banking industry conference organized by Barclays. "Currencies have legal support. It will blow up."

Dimon also said he'd "fire in a second" any JPMorgan trader who was trading bitcoin, noting two reasons: "It's against our rules and they are stupid."

Bitcoin fell to its session lows after Dimon's comments. As of 3:01 p.m. in New York, bitcoin traded at $4,106.23, down 2 percent.

Dimon's criticism comes at a time when some of the most well-known figures on Wall Street are starting to embrace the cryptocurrency. Fundstrat's Tom Lee said he sees bitcoin surging to $6,000 next year and value investor Bill Miller reportedly owns bitcoin.

Bitcoin is the 'most crowded trade' right now  11:23 AM ET Tue, 12 Sept 2017 | 00:53

Even Dimon's own bank, JPMorgan, has reportedly begun a trial project using blockchain as it tries to cut trading costs. Blockchain is the technology behind bitcoin.

Bitcoin has already soared 315 percent this year.

Earlier on Tuesday, Dimon warned about further declines in trading revenue for the banking giant.

Dimon said third-quarter trading revenue will drop about 20 percent on a year-over-year basis. Dimon also said the bank may not give intra-quarter guidance in the future.

This comes just a day after Citigroup CEO John Gerspach issued a similar warning. On Monday, Gerspach said Citi's trading revenue could fall 15 percent, citing low market volatility.

2017 has been the calmest market in decades. The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX), widely considered the best gauge of fear in the market, hit its lowest level in more than 20 years earlier this year.

The second quarter was also a weak one for JPMorgan's trading unit as revenue fell 14 percent during the period on a year-over-year basis.

Dimon will also be speaking later Tuesday at the Delivering Alpha conference in New York.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/12/jpmorgan-ceo-jamie-dimon-raises-flag-on-trading-revenue-sees-20-percent-fall-for-the-third-quarter.html
Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by greatnaija01: 11:15pm On Sep 21, 2017
HE SHOULD SHUT HIS PITIFUL LATRINE MOUTH.....

Cryptocurrency is here to stay... in darkweb we are even told that the dollar is changing to a digital coin which is not yet publicized for now... but by 2018 it will be the new USA financial currency to replace the dollar, I just bought my share of the coin last night.
this is no longer about BITCOIIN its now about CRYPTOCURRENCY.... the guy should rest n join his daughter.
Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by nelcliff(m): 5:12am On Sep 22, 2017
I think he need some rest.. The stress at his bank doesn't allow him to think rightly anymore...
Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by MrJonny(m): 6:59am On Sep 22, 2017
greatnaija01:

Cryptocurrency is here to stay... in darkweb we are even told that the dollar is changing to a digital coin which is not yet publicized for now... but by 2018 it will be the new USA financial currency to replace the dollar, I just bought my share of the coin last night.
this is no longer about BITCOIIN its now about CRYPTOCURRENCY.... the guy should rest n join his daughter.

Tell me about that coin. and how do you get into the dark web via a mobile device?
Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by greatnaija01: 9:10am On Sep 22, 2017
fire.onion app on android store can get you into the darkweb

the coin is phoenix
do your research on it

MrJonny:

Tell me about that coin. and how do you get into the dark web via a mobile device?
Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by nohitch: 11:32am On Sep 22, 2017
greatnaija01:
fire.onion app on android store can get you into the darkweb

the coin is phoenix
do your research on it

Don't try accessing the dark web with your usual IP, make use of an untraceable IP browser like epic browser.
Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by greatnaija01: 11:35am On Sep 22, 2017
fire.onion is the TOR for android phones.

nohitch:

Don't try accessing the dark web with your usual IP, make use of an untraceable IP browser like epic browser.
Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by nohitch: 10:12pm On Sep 24, 2017
greatnaija01:
fire.onion is the TOR for android phones.

or Orfox too wink wink

1 Like

Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by Sunnyja: 10:41pm On Sep 24, 2017
greatnaija01:

So you you know more than the man saying it's a fraud.
Re: Jpmorgan CEO Says Bitcoin Is A 'fraud' That Will Eventually Blow Up by greatnaija01: 10:58pm On Sep 24, 2017
BILL GATES said it would reach $10,000 by 2018, and this dude talking is just not as rich as BILL GATES or WARREN BUFFET so why should I listen to his advice that is from the anger of a missed opportunity. I bought 10btc as far back as 2013, I count myself among the very first nigerians to know about it... and today my financial life as changed.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT WAS BACK THEN COMPARED TO NOW? grin

Sunnyja:
So you you know more than the man saying it's a fraud.

(1) (Reply)

Attend VIDEO EDITING Training In Lagos. 100% Practical Training / The Richest Man In Africa Builds $3.5 Million Business School In Nigeria / Celebrating An ICON, Tope Akinola In A Grand Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.