Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself (851 Views)

Surprising Benefits Of Noshadar Make It Interesting / Surprising Benefits Of Raw Honey That You Need To Know / Busty Lady's No Bra Day Photos Got Nigerians Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by Ge0grapher(m): 11:28pm On Sep 21, 2017
It doesn’t mean you’re crazy. In fact, it can help you clarify your thoughts, shake off stress, and boost your mood.
I talk to myself. Out loud. A lot. And when I don’t, I’m like an athlete who can’t practice his sport or a musician denied time with her instrument.
When you talk to yourself, you’re paying attention to someone who often gets short shrift in your life: you. If you berate yourself for behaving idiotically or painfully regret something you’ve done, obviously your self-talk is going to make you feel worse. But if you get a good dialogue going between you and yourself, you can make real headway in clarifying your thoughts and even lifting your mood. I’d go so far as to say the practice is a form of mindful self-compassion.
Here are a few things self-talk can do for you:

1 . Give yourself a shoutout . Even if no one else seems to be appreciating you at the moment, compliment yourself on the way you handled a difficult situation, left your comfort zone for a new adventure, or just got through a busy day.
2 . Give yourself a pep talk . We could all use a motivational speaker from time to time, but we don’t always have one handy. Self-talk can help you motivate
yourself to achieve a goal at work, in a relationship, or in your personal behavior.
3 . Debate both sides of a difficult decision . Saying your options out loud and elaborating on the pros and cons can help bring the right choice to light, and you might be surprised at the unexpected direction your thoughts take when they’re audible.
4 . Blow off steam. If you’re not the type to confront people who tick you off, talk to yourself about how they bother you or how unfair a situation is. Introverts are especially prone to missing opportunities to assert themselves. Put the “self” back in self-assertion.
5 . Understand your thoughts better . Sometimes we’re sure we think one way, but our psyche tells us differently. Have you ever found yourself crying when you didn’t think anything was wrong? That’s your subconscious letting you know. Invite it to join your conversation to bring you to new levels of self-awareness.
6 . Rehearse a difficult conversation . Practicing what you need to say to get your points across clearly and without anger will put you in a much better position when it comes time to communicate about a tough issue.
7 . Boost your memory. Research shows that saying the location out loud when you place an object will help you remember where you put it.
8 . Shake off stress and anxiety . Who couldn’t use one more way to get rid of stress? Work it through with a monologue.
9 . Improve attention span and concentration . Indeed, many people with ADD talk to themselves to help bring a tangle of thoughts into focus. Notice how often you see athletes muttering under their breath before an event; they’re calming themselves down (#cool and pumping themselves up (#2). It works.
Re: 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by ijobaooorun(m): 11:45pm On Sep 21, 2017
If watching vampires diaries taught me anytin @ALL I would say

TALKING TO URSELF IS THE PREAMBLE OF MADNESS

1 Like

Re: 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by Ge0grapher(m): 9:27am On Sep 23, 2017
ijobaooorun:
If watching vampires diaries taught me anytin @ALL I would say

TALKING TO URSELF IS THE PREAMBLE OF MADNESS
Nigga!! Did you even read what I posted??
Re: 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by jayriginal: 9:52am On Sep 23, 2017
One benefit of talking to yourself is free accommodation in a psychiatric ward.

1 Like

Re: 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by Ge0grapher(m): 10:02am On Sep 23, 2017
jayriginal:
One benefit of talking to yourself is free accommodation in a psychiatric ward.
ooh really??
Re: 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by ijobaooorun(m): 3:19pm On Sep 23, 2017
And please don't use nigga for me again. It kind of sound like an insult.
Ge0grapher:

Nigga!! Did you even read what I posted??
Re: 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by JohnNgene: 3:47pm On Sep 23, 2017
The best place to talk to yourself is when you're alone o! Otherwise, trust me, people'll think you're about to run mad. Lol. Except if you're a superstar like Mohammed Ali who'd shout "I am the greatest!!!" while people cheered him on.

And the best way to talk to yourself is by making positive declarations about yourself early in the morning and late at night before sleeping. There's a term Norman Vincent Peale used to describe it in his best-selling book The Power of Positive Thinking. Can't remember it now. Christ Embassy also uses the positive self-talk a lot. They even have a section dedicated to it in their daily devotional Rhapsody of Realities. I used to be one of them, so I know. Lol.

I agree that saying positive words to yourself really helps to condition the mind and boost self-confidence.
Re: 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by Ge0grapher(m): 5:29pm On Sep 23, 2017
ijobaooorun:
And please don't use nigga for me again. It kind of sound like an insult.

1 Like

Re: 9 Surprising Benefits Of Talking To Yourself by Ge0grapher(m): 5:29pm On Sep 23, 2017
JohnNgene:
The best place to talk to yourself is when you're alone o! Otherwise, trust me, people'll think you're about to run mad. Lol. Except if you're a superstar like Mohammed Ali who'd shout "I am the greatest!!!" while people cheered him on.

And the best way to talk to yourself is by making positive declarations about yourself early in the morning and late at night before sleeping. There's a term Norman Vincent Peale used to describe it in his best-selling book The Power of Positive Thinking. Can't remember it now. Christ Embassy also uses the positive self-talk a lot. They even have a section dedicated to it in their daily devotional Rhapsody of Realities. I used to be one of them, so I know. Lol.

I agree that saying positive words to yourself really helps to condition the mind and boost self-confidence.
You on point bruh!!!

(1) (Reply)

What I Did To Stop My Stretchmark From Growing&product I Used To Make It Pale / Help!!! Before It Becomes A Baby / Recipe For Oha Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.