Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,792 members, 7,831,560 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring (732 Views)

SOLD!SOLD!!Toks 08 Toyota Avalon+PICS OF CAR IN 9JA / A Way Of Purchase Good Things By Cheap Price / Cost Of Car Shipment To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by gabrieli(m): 10:58am On Mar 03, 2010
It beats my imagination why the prices of cars have been crashing in Naija (especially Lagos) lately while the cost of purchasing them abroad (especially in US) and clearing in Lagos have been going up in the recent times.
Dealers in the house should comment on this for exchange of ideas` sake.

Thanks.
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by violent(m): 11:11pm On Mar 06, 2010
where re the Dealers in the house now?

Oga fhemmmmy, Mr Inspired, the german man, Mr Kunle A, . . . .
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by deluxek: 10:59am On Mar 07, 2010
@poster.
My brother its called competition. thats the WORD.
everybody in the US is sending car home, what do you expect?
prices will drop.
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by gabrieli(m): 3:46pm On Mar 07, 2010
I totally agree that competition have a great influence on price, so also the law of supply and demand must definitely play it`s role. But with the present pricing scenerio, it is possible for some dealers to be selling their vehicles below profit margin because the more you keep a car on sale the more cost you incure (i am refering to vehicles without blemishes)
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by DisGuy: 4:12pm On Mar 07, 2010
the prices some sellers(especially the new ones) quote is just absurd sometimes--weird thing is they can check the the 'going' rate of same specification on this site
but they just go against the grain like there is a lxi,elx,es attached to the name or some other unnecessary button--Pluto enabler- included in the spec

for some there are just too many agents involved
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by Busybody2(f): 4:23pm On Mar 07, 2010
Hmmm, scratching head and in two minds about the discourse of this thread.

OP, why are you calling out the car dealers? Are they the ones who set the rates of clearing, shipping, ctn, numerous phantom taxes, etc to the extent now that to get the oldest car permissible out of the port, you are looking at parting with no less than N600,000K/N750,000K i.e. up to $5,000 to ship and clear a 2000/2001 car.

Are they the ones who employed the bent workers based at these ports? Are they the ones responsible for the wharfrats too who oftentimes have to be settled if you want your car to come out in one piece?

ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE.
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by Fhemmmy: 2:13am On Mar 08, 2010
It is so amazing the way people looks at prices and talk about prices . . . .
There are so many things that people needs to consider when they are looking at prices . . . .

For analysis sake, give us example a car that you think the price has gone down and let us discuss it . . . . Please dont tell us you are referring to a used ride oh.

Busy_body:

Hmmm, scratching head and in two minds about the discourse of this thread.

OP, why are you calling out the car dealers? Are they the ones who set the rates of clearing, shipping, ctn, numerous phantom taxes, etc to the extent now that to get the oldest car permissible out of the port, you are looking at parting with no less than N600,000K/N750,000K i.e. up to $5,000 to ship and clear a 2000/2001 car.

Are they the ones who employed the bent workers based at these ports? Are they the ones responsible for the wharfrats too who oftentimes have to be settled if you want your car to come out in one piece?

ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE. �

WOnderfully said, my sister . . . . People needs to know more about the pricing of a car.
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by gabrieli(m): 10:30am On Mar 08, 2010
As an example, for those familiar with craiglist, the least amount you can get a clean toyota camry or honda accord 99/2000 model without any issue is around $5000.00,  you may get those with minor scratches or dents around $3500 & $4500 . You may have to pay for towing to the port of departure if insurance has expired, you pay for CTN, Shipment, Courier delivery of Bill of laden to Naija and finally you pay for clearing at Lagos port as the case may be.
If you add up all these expenses, you will definitely arrive at a figure between N1.1m and N1.2m as the landing cost, but presently we these vehicle types on sale on NL at prices around N1m. Is it that some of the above mentioned expenses can be avoided or skipped if you know your way or what? so that one can sell within the prevailing market price and still make profit or there is something  i`m not getting.
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by Fhemmmy: 2:24pm On Mar 08, 2010
gabrieli:

As an example, for those familiar with craiglist, the least amount you can get a clean toyota camry or honda accord 99/2000 model without any issue is around $5000.00,  you may get those with minor scratches or dents around $3500 & $4500 . You may have to pay for towing to the port of departure if insurance has expired, you pay for CTN, Shipment, Courier delivery of Bill of laden to Naija and finally you pay for clearing at Lagos port as the case may be.
If you add up all these expenses, you will definitely arrive at a figure between N1.1m and N1.2m as the landing cost, but presently we these vehicle types on sale on NL at prices around N1m. Is it that some of the above mentioned expenses can be avoided or skipped if you know your way or what? so that one can sell within the prevailing market price and still make profit or there is something  i`m not getting.

You ave used a great car as an example.
Some of the dealers are able to sell at such rate cos of the following:

1. Ship to Cotonue instead of Lagos - That eliminates the 400$ of CTN, eliminated some few $$ of the shipping expenses.
2. Cotonue Cleared - It is roughly 30,000 Naira cheaper than the clearing in Lagos.
So that right there is their profit.

Where i think there is a problem is such dealers trying to sell such rides as Lagos cleared.
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by sultaan(m): 2:44pm On Mar 08, 2010
The difference is in the condition of the car.
A car from auction with less than desirable condition will cost less than a car source from a seller in excellent condition.

You will know by users having to work on gearbox, brainbox, oil leaks; all these indicate that car was not serviced as scheduled.

Nigerians basically ask for these cars when they request for cars in the N1m-N1.3m range($6000).
Shipping and duty alone is $3000, so any Japanese car less than (100k miles)8yrs sold for $3000+ tax in US should come with a big [size=16pt]?[/size]
Good working cars are not cheap, so when you buy a running junk, it will cost you a lot more to keep it running over time when compared to a well used car.

This is why they have CPO(certified pre-owned) cars in the US to give buyers confidence in their condition.usually  2yrs <40k miles.
Re: Cars Prices In 9ja Keep Crashing While Cost Of Purchase & Clearing Is Soaring by Busybody2(f): 3:32pm On Mar 08, 2010
@GABRIEL

There are many reasons for price differentials, factors such as the trim, what optional extras it comes with, the transmission, the condition, the source of purchase, etc affects how much a car costs.

Asides this, one's persuasion skills could also come into play, the final price you would fork out for that Honda/Toyota is not the same price i would pay. For example, as a female, the first thing that comes to my mind when i see a ride is the colour, and naturally when i am at a Car dealer, thats the first thing that comes outta my mouth and in that Dealer's mind, he thinks he has landed a gullible fool. By the end of the transaction, the same person would be forced to shake hands with me, acknowledge that i have done my homework properly, gruffly acknowledge that he underestimated me and hastily send me off with my purchase.

And like over here, a car advertised with a high mileage hovering around the 100k mark, would be lucky to be sold to a savvy person for about 60% of the actual price. Same thing applies to cars that gets listed on craigslist, autotrader, ebay, etc with problems such as no engine, no water pump, no mot, no road tax, a bit tatty and needs tidying up, a few rusts, etc they too usually command very low prices.

In addition to this, where the car is purchased makes a lot of difference too, you would not pay the same price for the same car purchased at trade price/
Part exchange/Public Auction/Trade Auction/Car supermarket/Insurance writeoffs/Salvage repaired/Salvage not declared/etc. The price would differ by a few hundred thousands.

And personally i will never pay $5,000 for the car you mentioned above, and no i ain't from Ijebu, i don't think i can pay more than $2k and thats me being very generous.

(1) (Reply)

I Need L300 Mitsubishi But Not Crystal Roof / 2000/01 Millinium Mazda For N550k 08052334306 07027680809 / 2008 Toyota Corolla.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.