Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,100 members, 7,859,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 11:09 PM

Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise (1860 Views)

Yinka Odumakin: Buhari Made Nigeria Global Secretariat Of Poverty In 5 Years / Ambode And Tinubu Meet At Jim Ovia's 'Africa Rise And Shine' Book Launch / See Where Nigeria Is Expected To Be Among Global Economic Powers In 2050 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 11:06am On Sep 25, 2017
laudate:

You are even talking about Kogi. What about areas outside the capitals in places like Kwara, Osun, Taraba, Kebbi, Ebonyi etc.? Once you step outside the state capitals, and take a trip down to other local govt areas, you would be amazed at the level of poverty and lack of infrastructure that dot those places. How many of the residents in such places can afford or even use generators? The few who even do so, might rent an I-better-pass-my-neighbour genset and limit their usage to 2 or 3 times per week, for less than 4 hours per day.

People should stop using Lagos, Port-Harcourt, Abuja, Onitsha, Ibadan as a yardstick to gauge the state of affairs in every other part of Nigeria.

You really expect people who can't afford food, medication etc to pay 24/kwh for power easily. I taya 4 u.
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by laudate: 11:48am On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
You really expect people who can't afford food, medication etc to pay 24/kwh for power easily. I taya 4 u.

Obviously you did not understand the point I was trying to make. Pls go back and read all my posts on this thread with an open mind. Where did I say people who cannot afford food and medication should pay 24/kilowatt for electricity?
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by laudate: 11:51am On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
Ha ha ha . . . dumb guess.
You tell me whether all the generator salemen, gen repairers and 4 liters gallon in rural areas are part of nollywood movie. Dumb statement.
Or all the businessmen (printing press) who bypass electricity in urban areas don't have generator. Maybe you expect communities yet to be electrified to have lots of gen owners.

Oh, how many generator salesmen and repairers are in every local govt in Nigeria? Just because they are clustered within the state capitals or cities does not mean they exist in every town, village, hamlet or street within Nigeria. Do the maths. How many rural areas have you visited in every part of Nigeria?

Pls try to stop contradicting yourself. In one breath, you claim that poor people cannot afford to pay for power supply, like you did in your last post. In another breath, you are trying to justify the preponderance of generators, by claiming there are lots of generator salesmen and repairers in rural areas, in a bid to make it seem as if most Nigerians in rural areas already have a generator, which is why such huge numbers of generator salesmen and repairers exist. Which one are we to believe? Like I asked you before "how many rural areas in Nigeria have you visited before? "
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 12:24pm On Sep 25, 2017
laudate:

Oh, how many generator salesmen and repairers are in every local govt in Nigeria? Just because they are clustered within the state capitals or cities does not mean they exist in every town, village, hamlet or street within Nigeria. Do the maths. How many rural areas have you visited in every part of Nigeria?

Pls try to stop contradicting yourself. In one breath, you claim that poor people cannot afford to pay for power supply, like you did in your last post. In another breath, you are trying to justify the preponderance of generators, by claiming there are lots of generator salesmen and repairers in rural areas, in a bid to make it seem as if most Nigerians in rural areas already have a generator, which is why such huge numbers of generator salesmen and repairers exist. Which one are we to believe? Like I asked you before "how many rural areas in Nigeria have you visited before? "
Do what silly Maths? Listen to yourself. How many rural communities are electrified? Please make sense.
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by laudate: 12:52pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
Do what silly Maths? Listen to yourself. How many rural communities are electrified? Please make sense.

Again, you have contradicted yourself. undecided Were you not the one who said that generator salesmen and repairers with 4-litre gallons abound in the rural areas? Your words were: "You tell me whether all the generator salesmen, gen repairers and 4 liters gallon in rural areas are part of nollywood movie." You are saying the rural areas do not have electricity, but they have generators, right?
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Blue3k(m): 1:07pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
Do you know what you stand to gain with a centralized grid? What we need is a centralized grid that prioritizes supply of power to states that generate them. Can every region re-electrify their communities and still generate powers even if we double our funding at this instance? Like I implied this is a paper proposal.
As for metering, you may want glance through my post about it. I support metering [prepaid]. Same thing for infrastructure. The problem is when people who barely grasp what grids are or what they are meant to achieve start talking. Fashola made empty noise about power in Lagos state cos he didn't understand the technicalities of grid. Today he is struggling with simple things like prepaid meter and transmission system. Just understand what a power grid entails and stop parading half baked proposals up and down the forum.

I disagree there's benefits to mini grids that your over looking. First you don't suffer the power loss problem because the power is focused on the closet persons. Next we it can be put in remote areas and work well like renewable. Start grid tech is the future because it improves reliability. Yes every region could potentially generate it's own power. There's plenty of options to play with from renewables, hydro, and gas.

The big issue with prepaid meter was sourcing them. The issue with transmission he partly funding and he did allow for mini grid tech with renewables. The idea isn't half baked it seems you haven't read up with new developments in energy sector snice your still championing the old methods.

1 Like

Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 4:26pm On Sep 25, 2017
Blue3k:

I disagree there's benefits to mini grids that your over looking. First you don't suffer the power loss problem because the power is focused on the closet persons. Next we it can be put in remote areas and work well like renewable. Start grid tech is the future because it improves reliability. Yes every region could potentially generate it's own power. There's plenty of options to play with from renewables, hydro, and gas.

The big issue with prepaid meter was sourcing them. The issue with transmission he partly funding and he did allow for mini grid tech with renewables. The idea isn't half baked it seems you haven't read up with new developments in energy sector snice your still championing the old methods.
Oga, off-grid arrangement is a different concept to mini grids your OP suggested.
The issue they claimed with prepaid meter was sourcing them but their prepaid meter for sale allover the world. Who is fooling who here? They are just greedy and if Fashola can't handle them let him resign.
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Blue3k(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
Oga, off-grid arrangement is a different concept to mini grids.
The issue they claimed with prepaid meter was sourcing them but their prepaid meter for sale allover the world. Who is fooling who here? They are just greedy and if Fashola can't handle them let him resign.

Remind where who said off grid. I said mini grid and decentralized grid which are same thing. Power that can work independently of central grid.

OK they bad abd greedy thanks for sharing your opinion. Never mind the fact they imported these meters and fire restrictions in country. If your dissatisfied with his performance that's your issue. Your free to have your opinion.

A mini grid, also sometimes referred to as a "micro grid or isolated grid", can be defined as a set of electricity generators and possibly energy storage systems interconnected to a distribution network that supplies electricity to a localized group of customers."They involve small-scale electricity generation (10 kW to 10MW) which serves a limited number of consumers via a distribution grid that can operate in isolation from national electricity transmission networks."
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2017
Blue3k:

Remind where who said off grid. I said mini grid and decentralized grid which are same thing. Power that can work independently of central grid.

OK they bad abd greedy thanks for sharing your opinion. Never mind the fact they imported these meters and fire restrictions in country. If your dissatisfied with his performance that's your issue. Your free to have your opinion.
Oga, I can have a 20 unit housing estate and decide to electrify them to a gen or solar set while isolating it from the national grid. That's off-grid. Decentralised means more than that. I am now sure you barely grasp the perculiarities of power system.
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Blue3k(m): 6:08pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
Oga, I can have a 20 unit housing estate and decide to electrify them to a gen or solar set while isolating it from the national grid. That's off-grid. Decentralised means more than that. I am now sure you barely grasp the perculiarities of power system.

Lol the question was rhetorical about off grid. Nobody was refering to the solar panels on your roofs. Since you obviously have trouble reading I'll find you simple pictures so it doesn't confuse you too much.

Before ramblings on about your off grid power oga read article.

A mini grid, also sometimes referred to as a "micro grid or isolated grid", can be defined as a set of electricity generators and possibly energy storage systems interconnected to a distribution network that supplies electricity to a localized group of customers."They involve small-scale electricity generation (10 kW to 10MW) which serves a limited number of consumers via a distribution grid that can operate in isolation from national electricity transmission networks."
In a decentralised system, there are more small-scale individual producers that are all connected to the grid, ensuring an effective and reliable supply where it is needed. There are many technologies that make up decentralised power generation, including gas, solar, wind and hydro.
Mini-grids have a unique feature as they can operate autonomously without being connected to a centralized grid. However the mini-grid may be designed to interconnect with the central grid which means it operates under normal conditions as part of the central grid with disconnection occurring only if power quality needs to be maintained.

1 Like

Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 6:18pm On Sep 25, 2017
Blue3k:

Lol the question was rhetorical about off grid. Nobody was refering to the solar panels on your roofs. Since you obviously have trouble reading I'll find you simple pictures so it doesn't confuse you too much. Ramble on about your off grid power oga.

Are you reading what you are posting at all? If yes, then you are not understanding them.
What's the difference between a decentralized grid and what we currently have in Nigeria ?
You need to stop researching what you don't understand on the fly.

1 Like

Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Blue3k(m): 6:25pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
Are you reading what you are posting at all? If yes, then you are not understanding them.
What's the difference between a decentralized grid and what we currently have in Nigeria ?
You need to stop researching what you don't understand on the fly.

Centralized grid all the power went through TCN connection and was disturbed out. Decentralised power have smaller individual companies operate outside of that. Hence the new regulations for mini grid power generation for people not connected to grid and to help renewable power providers.

Lol the expert can't read or understand picture you just good a whining about Fashola.

The regulations, which are the country’s first for mini-grids, were the result of engagement between NERC and industry stakeholders, covers the licensing, tariff and technical standards for all mini-grids from 0kW to 1MW.
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 6:39pm On Sep 25, 2017
Blue3k:

Centralized grid all the power went through TCN connection and was disturbed out. Decentralised power have smaller individual companies operate outside of that. Hence the new regulations for mini grid power generation for people not connected to grid and to help renewable power providers.

Lol the expert can't read or understand picture you just good a whining about Fashola.

I give up on you Sir.
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Blue3k(m): 6:56pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
I give up on you Sir.

Give on yourself. We already seen how well mini grids can work. Besides if you read this areticle you would already know that ceo is not against central grid. Siemens supplied the gas turbines to that Edo power project. Have fun whining about Fashola.

The Federal Government on Tuesday announced that two communities in Kaduna State recently recorded two straight years of uninterrupted supply of electricity.

It said the Gnami and Pakau communities enjoyed uninterrupted power from the 90- kilowatt Solar PV off - grid system installed in the areas, as the villages were far from the reach of the national power grid.
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 7:01pm On Sep 25, 2017
Blue3k:

Give on yourself. We already seen how well mini grids can work. Besides if you read this areticle you would already know that ceo is not against central grid. Siemens supplied the gas turbines to that Edo power project. Have fun whining about Fashola.

It is painful seeing ignorant folks like you trying to replicate the Fashola mistakes.
My own suggestion is we should just encourage states to build IPP and guaranty them a good percentage of what their IPPs produced to meet their local needs. No need for irrelevant proposals and articles like you are fond of posting up and down this forum. Bye.
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Blue3k(m): 7:08pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
It is painful seeing ignorant folks like you trying to replicate the Fashola mistakes.
My own suggestion is we should just encourage states to build IPP and guaranty them a good percentage of what their IPPs produced to me their local needs. No need for irrelevant proposals and articles like you are fond of posting up and down this forum. Bye.

It's a mistake that gave that community 24hrs power OK oga. The states already get permissions for such. Akwa Ibom power Plant is an example. I do agree with you that incentive should be increased. It's seems you don't know what the Fashola does and doesn't do before complaining.

He said the technology of getting steady light in the five Local Government Areas is not rocket science, and that with the support of the Transmission Commission of Nigeria,TCN, that vision will be realized.

“As at today, I generate 153MW of electricity at the Ibom Power Plant, I intend to take 35mw out of that and put in that substation then give it to those five Local Government Areas.”

2 Likes

Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by omohayek: 8:14pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
You know not what you are talking. Nigerians are expert at inflating running cost and price fixing. The power system I insist is already hugely profitable. How much was govt subsidizing the power sector/lossing before privatization? Juxtapose those figures against what the private owners are claiming and see the huge fraud going on. And lastly, please and please and please stop using everyday business principle to analyse power.
And you know this how, exactly? Through their quarterly and annual reports? Through newspaper articles? Or is that you have personal contacts who (illegally) shared insider information with you?

I'm betting it's none of these, and you just "know" they are wildly profitable because you "feel" they must be, even though all the Nigerian newspapers have carried plenty of reports indicating the GENCOs and DISCOs are in financial trouble, as have international periodicals like the FT and the WSJ, and even Fashola has admitted the fact in his public speeches. But why should we believe all these credible, publicly available sources when we can go with your gut prejudices instead?

1 Like

Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by omohayek: 8:25pm On Sep 25, 2017
trillville:
omohayek and laudate.
Both of you have properly identified the key constraints facing the development of electricity in Nigeria. production of electricity is priced in USD and sales of electricity is in naira so electricity prices are not cost effective making the industry unattractive to investors and the Nigerian populace being too poor to afford to pay current prices not to talk about the true market price for electricity.

what you both fail at is stating the solution to our problem, MAKE THE NIGERIAN POPULACE RICHER. if the populace were richer, they would easily be able to pay for increased electricity prices. This is what MUST happen before Nigeria gets sufficient power. with the way our political class act, I would say Nigeria is not going to get stable electricity in the next 1 hundred years.

Governor Peter Obi in an interview ( https://www.nairaland.com/4073835/peter-obi-biafra-ipob-agitation ) stated that "In 1980, the GDP of China was $341billion. The GDP of Nigeria, your country was $143 billion. So, you can say that China was twice bigger than Nigeria. In terms of savings, Nigeria had in 1980 $10.5 billion and China had $10 billion. In terms of per capita, Nigeria was $870; China was $193. Today, China’s GDP is $12 trillion; thirty times bigger than ours. China’s savings that was $10 billion is now $3 trillion. Somebody you were four times better than before has moved miles ahead of you, that is our crisis today. That is why the agitation is ongoing. It’s a simple thing. It’s the economy.

I can go on and on and show you. South Korea’s savings alone was $3 billion when we had $10.5 billion. Today, they have $365 billion and we have $30 billion. I can go on and show you Indonesia, Thailand. Thailand was $5 billion when we had $10 billion. So, why don’t we take the right steps and do the right things? The cost of our governance is unacceptable."

The only times in my lifetime the naira appreciated against the USD was during Obasanjo's tenure and the beginning of Yaradua's tenure. Both men were able to make Nigerians richer by saving money in our foreign reserves enabling them to raise the value of the naira. Both men were also fortunate to rule at a time of rising Crude oil price.

Until our leaders become serious about managing our macroeconomy, Nigeria is going nowhere.
I agree that the right answer to the problem is to make the Nigerian populace richer, so they can afford to pay realistic rates for reliable power. The problem with your position is that you don't acknowledge that for the Nigerian populace to get richer, Nigerian businesses first need to have access to reliable power that is cheaper than running their generators all the time. This doesn't mean they need to pay artificially low prices for their power, however: all that is required is that Nigerian companies have power costs no higher than the international average, so they aren't at a competitive disadvantage to their foreign competitors.

I've seen estimates from sources like the IMF and the World Bank indicating that Nigeria's power problems chop off as much as 1-2% off annual GDP growth. This may not sound like much, but it is the difference between the 6-7% that Nigeria has enjoyed at the best of times, and the sustained 8-9% growth rates that have moved countries like South Korea, Taiwan and now China from the "dirt poor" column into the "almost rich" (or outright "rich"wink countries. Just 2% extra annual GDP per capita growth from 1980 onwards would have doubled Nigerians' average per capita income by today, so we aren't talking small beans here.

A truly growth-oriented government that recognizes this would prioritize power delivery to the business sector at realistic prices over subsidized delivery of unreliable power to retail "customers" who either refuse to pay in full and on time, or outright steal the power they use anyway; Nigeria's leaders have all either been too stupid to see what needs doing, or too afraid of the backlash from the country's self-entitled masses to do what they recognize is necessary, which is why we are here today.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 8:50pm On Sep 25, 2017
omohayek:

And you know this how, exactly? Through their quarterly and annual reports? Through newspaper articles? Or is that you have personal contacts who (illegally) shared insider information with you?

I'm betting it's none of these, and you just "know" they are wildly profitable because you "feel" they must be, even though all the Nigerian newspapers have carried plenty of reports indicating the GENCOs and DISCOs are in financial trouble, as have international periodicals like the FT and the WSJ, and even Fashola has admitted the fact in his public speeches. But why should we believe all these credible, publicly available sources when we can go with your gut prejudices instead?
Comprehend post before replying sir. Bye
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by omohayek: 9:15pm On Sep 25, 2017
Desyner:
Comprehend post before replying sir. Bye
LOL. Take your own advice!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by kaboninc(m): 5:57pm On Sep 27, 2017
Desyner:
Do you know what you stand to gain with a centralized grid? What we need is a centralized grid that prioritizes supply of power to states that generate them. Can every region re-electrify their communities and still generate powers even if we double our funding at this instance? Like I implied this is a paper proposal.
As for metering, you may want glance through my post about it. I support metering [prepaid]. Same thing for infrastructure. The problem is when people who barely grasp what grids are or what they are meant to achieve start talking. Fashola made empty noise about power in Lagos state cos he didn't understand the technicalities of grid. Today he is struggling with simple things like prepaid meter and transmission system. Just understand what a power grid entails and stop parading half baked proposals up and down the forum.

Your first paragraph, most states to generate electricity are not usually the states the drives economic activities in the country. So if I may ask, what's the rationale behind prioritizing electricity supplies to these states like Edo or Bayelsa rather than Lagos?
Re: Powering Nigeria’s Global Economic Rise by Desyner: 6:36pm On Sep 27, 2017
kaboninc:

Your first paragraph, most states to generate electricity are not usually the states the drives economic activities in the country. So if I may ask, what's the rationale behind prioritizing electricity supplies to these states like Edo or Bayelsa rather than Lagos?
I don't get the bold part. You mean states like Lagos, Rivers, or Akwa Ibom don't have need 4 power or economic activities?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Guber: Igala Oppression Will Soon Be Over, Nwoye Vows (photo) / As South Africa Shamed Nigeria Yet Again...... / Thread On Ambode Achievement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.