Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,996 members, 7,814,398 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba (544 Views)

INEC Declares Ifeanyi Okowa Winner Of Delta State Governorship Election / Pictures Of The Ongoing Urban Renewal Of Eket, Akwa Ibom State By State Govt. / Mohammed Abubakar Wins Best Governor Of The Year On Urban Renewal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba by Cjrane2: 3:02am On Sep 26, 2017
So I just returned from my hometown Asaba and i must say it was not a pleasant experience. I had often visited Asaba in the dry seasons and had almost no idea about the plight of the citizens during the rainy seasons. Alas! i have seen with my two eyes!

While i commend H.E Ifeanyi Okowa for some measure of beautification including planting of flowers and trees along the major roads in the city. I must encourage him to go all out and plant trees and flowers on the median of major roads and roundabouts all over the city. Asaba truly has the potential of becoming Nigeria's Las Vegas with it's numerous luxurious hotels and a pleasant tree lined city, conducive as a holiday destination if the present effort at beautification is seriously pursued as it should be done.

Incessant flooding:
Above all, I want to passionately appeal to the Governor to begin a massive effort to build gutters on both sides of all the major roads and even minor roads to mitigate the challenges of flooding. I am sure the governor can cheaply use direct labor to build gutters which will help create employment for the youths while addressing a critical issue of flooding in the city. This idea of using direct labor to provide critical infrastructure
like gutters on all the roads and planting flowers and trees in the median of dual carriage roads or both sides of single lane roads can also be extended to other cities outside the state capital to help create jobs for the youths.

I am personally appealing to those close to the Governor to bring this issue to his attention. Many Nigerians have moved into Asaba today and the place isn't the little quiet town i grew up in many years ago. it only makes sense to make the place habitable for both the indigenes and those that have made Asaba their home today. There is an urgent need for a serious urban renewal in Asaba on the magnitude of what Chime did in Enugu or Akpabio did in Uyo.

3 Likes

Re: Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba by mokaflex(m): 5:21am On Sep 26, 2017
Ok
Re: Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba by soliddust2020: 8:36am On Sep 26, 2017
Op you didn't witness anything since you visited asaba recently, assuming you had com around may, june and july you would had seen the flooding at the worst. Okowa is not ready to tackle the flood issues in Asaba, that man is the worst governor in Nigeria.
Re: Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba by ChimaAgbalajob: 12:02pm On Sep 26, 2017
soliddust2020:
Op you didn't witness anything since you visited asaba recently, assuming you had com around may, june and july you would had seen the flooding at the worst. Okowa is not ready to tackle the flood issues in Asaba, that man is the worst governor in Nigeria.

It's a shame that NO DRAINAGE facility works in that city.

WHY What type of people govern us in Nigeria?
Re: Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba by Isoko1stSon(m): 12:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
My Asaba My Capital..

Our Governors Need brain Formating
Re: Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba by soliddust2020: 1:31pm On Sep 26, 2017
ChimaAgbalajob:

It's a shame that NO DRAINAGE facility works in that city.

WHY What type of people govern us in Nigeria?

My broda we keep making the wrong choice in delta state, i am afraid okowa will win in 2019 elections.
Re: Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba by Cjrane2: 2:32pm On Sep 27, 2017
soliddust2020:

My brother, i saw people panicking to get home when the rain shower started and i wondered if they were mentally ok. Until I saw what i could not believe. I know how Asaba used to be when i was in St Patrick's college. I don't know where the sudden massive flooding came from. I guess with the massive influx of people since it became a capital and the State government's near total neglect in providing gutters for the extra flood blocked by buildings.

Anyhow, i am appealing to Gov. Okowa to do something about proper drainage in Asaba. I know he inherited what other governors failed to do, but the massive flooding issue is now worst under his watch. It's a shame people scamper for safety at the mere drop of rain shower.

1 Like

Re: Attention: H.E. Ifeanyi Okowa; Urgent Need For Urban Renewal In Asaba by soliddust2020: 4:14pm On Sep 27, 2017
Cjrane2:

My brother, i saw people panicking to get home when the rain shower started and i wondered if they were mentally ok. Until I saw what i could not believe. I know how Asaba used to be when i was in St Patrick's college. I don't know where the sudden massive flooding came from. I guess with the massive influx of people since it became a capital and the State government's near total neglect in providing gutters for the extra flood blocked by buildings.

Anyhow, i am appealing to Gov. Okowa to do something about proper drainage in Asaba. I know he inherited what other governors failed to do, but the massive flooding issue is now worst under his watch. It's a shame people scamper for safety at the mere drop of rain shower.

Once it wants to rain everybody starts rushing home, nobody wants to get caught out. I was almost swept aways by the flood, thank God i only lost my slippers. It keeps getting worst each year, ministry of works flooded and water entered some offices. There was a video on asaba flood on nairaland and online, flood carried a toyota corolla. Okowa has to give the drainage contract to julius or setraco and not his cronies.

(1) (Reply)

How True Is This Fact Fellow Nairaland / ‘PDP Would Have Closed Roads Because Of Jacob Zuma’ – Okorocha Slams Critics / Industrial Court Halts Sack Of Over 20,000 Kaduna Teachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.