Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Should The Nigerian Government Regulate Ngos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Nigerian Government Regulate Ngos? (314 Views)

FG To Regulate Social Media - Lai Mohammed / PDP Appoints Dino Melaye As Director In Charge Of NGOs And Civil Societies / Nigeria To Set Up “Council To Regulate The Use Of Social Media” In The Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Nigerian Government Regulate Ngos? by martfrank(m): 11:33am On Sep 26, 2017
I’m excited about your interest in making our nation, Nigeria a better place to live and work! Many of us change agents utilize the platform of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) to make an impact in our communities. Currently, there is a bill that has passed second reading, HB385 sponsored by Hon Umar Buba Jubril that mandates a committee to regulate NGOs.

- The approval is renewed every 2 years
- Once the bill becomes law every NGO has to apply otherwise can be shut down
- The committee includes representatives from ministries, 3 NGO representatives, and 6 members representing the Geopolitical zones.
- The agency at its discretion can deny approval
- Each project the NGO engages in has to be approved
- Approve work permits for expatriate employees.

There are many other layers of bureaucracy associated with this legislation. Most NGO experts believe they can self-regulate to ensure that they can fish out the fraudsters in the mix. Others mention there are several agencies that regulate NGOs like the corporate affairs commission (CAC), The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), and many others. Transform Nigeria is concerned about this bill because many change agents like yourself utilize the NGO platform to provide services to our communities. Will this be in jeopardy based on the government’s discretion? If we mobilize to kill the bill, what is the alternative? I want to hear your thoughts. Please take this survey so we can hear from you. Remember, this is our nation and it is up to us to Transform Nigeria.

View the NGO Regulation Bill and let me know your thoughts in the comments section.

Source: https://transformnigeria.com/should-government-regulate-ngos

https://transformnigeria.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Transform-Nigeria-NGO-Regulation-Bill.pdf

Re: Should The Nigerian Government Regulate Ngos? by hakeem4(m): 12:03pm On Sep 26, 2017
Yes they should
Re: Should The Nigerian Government Regulate Ngos? by DangotePikin: 1:53pm On Sep 26, 2017
No. Its a strategic plan to weaken Christian organisations and Islamize Nigeria in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Should The Nigerian Government Regulate Ngos? by Xenisha: 10:44am On Mar 28, 2022
Hello everyone, if you lead an active civic lifestyle, you are probably interested in the work of your state and government. Therefore, I want to share with you a website that is sure to be useful to you https://salvation-army.pissedconsumer.com/review.html . I'm sure you can find a way to help your country through this website so I hope you visit it.

(1) (Reply)

No More ‘godfatherism’ Over Political Appointments’ In Buhari Govt – Lai Mohamme / Senate, South East Governors To Meet Buhari Over Agitations. News / 224hits Wishes To Nigerians Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.