Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,399 members, 7,861,118 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:07 AM

You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake (792 Views)

Members of The Cabal Are In Firm Grip Of Project Muhammadu Buhari (2015) / All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU / Major Oil Importers And Fuel Subsidy Recipients(the Cabal) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by Beaf: 1:40am On Mar 05, 2010
1. Jonathan has sacked zero people for treachery, taken baby steps and recycled some old rancid fellows as advisers.
2. The average Nigerian is praying to God and waiting for someone else to fight for them, their wives and their children (is this you?).

Aside from the Save Nigeria Group, most Nigerians are washed out failures that do not have the courage and strength of personality to admit it, take stock , sieze the moment and turn things around.
Look around, all the signs you see are signs of failure and the ruins of common sense; PHCN, NNPC, Yar'Adua, lack of law and due process, mediocrity. . .
How can you sleep through this? Are those in countries where the people have risen and won the fight for their rights more human than us?

In what constructive ways can the few quality Nigerians left be mobilised to move the nation and themselves forward? How do we plant a new seed?
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by edoyad(m): 1:46am On Mar 05, 2010
Beaf:

1. Jonathan has sacked zero people for treachery, taken baby steps and recycled some old rancid fellows as advisers.
2. The average Nigerian is praying to God and waiting for someone else to fight for them, their wives and their children (is this you?).

Aside from the Save Nigeria Group, most Nigerians are washed out failures that do not have the courage and strength of personality to admit it, take stock , sieze the moment and turn things around.
Look around, all the signs you see are signs of failure and ruins of common sense; PHCN, NNPC, Yar'Adua, law and due process, mediocrity. . .
How can you sleep through this? Are those in countries where the people have risen and won the fight for their rights more human than us?

In what constructive ways can the few quality Nigerians left be mobilised to move the nation and themselves forward? How do we plant a new seed?

O boy it's a quarter to two in the morning, i can't blame Jonathan, sleep dey catch me too grin
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by Beaf: 2:01am On Mar 05, 2010
edoyad:

O boy it's a quarter to two in the morning, i can't blame Jonathan, sleep dey catch me too grin

I honestly didn't believe I would get a single response to this article, because it is about introspection.
You must be one of the few quality Nigerians left. wink
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by naijamini(m): 2:56am On Mar 05, 2010
There are 3 options for change in Nigeria. It is all a matter of speed & cost. All 3 options require both a visionary leader and popular followership. Don't expect any of it from Jonathan, he is part of the establishment.  Although his name could be written in gold in the history books if he lays the foundation for the best of all options (option 1) through electoral reform and other things:

1. We wake up and elect a visionary leader who is not shy about changing the system, with speed, as long as it leads to national progress.
Ranking - Potential Gain: Excellent, Speed of Results: Medium; Chance: 10%; Potential Cost in life & treasure: Medium

2. A popular revolution. This requires a visionary leader as well, not just someone with a goal to get to Aso Rock. This revolution would have to confront anti-progressive elements within both the civil populace and  the military - the latter is perhaps the most important.
Ranking - Potential Gain: Good; Speed of Results: High; Chance: 10%; Potential Cost in life & treasure: Very, very high

3. A slow, backdoor, but concerted effort by the enlightened citizenry to work within the system and gradually replace the establishment.
Ranking - Potential Gain: Fair; Speed of Results: Low; Chance: 50%; Potential Cost in life & treasure: Low

There you have it. There are no good options.

Beaf:

Look around, all the signs you see are signs of failure and the ruins of common sense; PHCN, NNPC, Yar'Adua, lack of law and due process, mediocrity. . .

Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by OAM4J: 7:51am On Mar 05, 2010
Beaf I agree with you. It is such a shame. I have decided to look beyond Jonathan and 2010 for meaningful change in Nigeria.

I just wish we can all ensure our votes count in 2011 irrespective of whatever electoral review they put in place.

I also hope Nigerian will elect a credible & visionary leader. Irrespective of where he comes from. The past leaders didnt help Nigeria and thier region. So let's elect a true leader this time.

Finaly; I dont so much blame the people for not fighting enough, I was in Lagos during the save Nigeria protest, was dissapointed at the turn out, but when i asked many people why they didnt participate, I was told they were looking for what to eat and another one told ma a Yoruba adage i wont ever forget 'he whose head is used to break coconut, would not be part of the coconut feast' meaning they are not ready to die for nothing. I was asked what happened to hundreds who died during the June 12 riots - guess nothing.

So let the cabal continue, and Jonathan keeps watching & doing nothing. . . But please let's vote for real change next year.
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by Pharoh: 8:42am On Mar 05, 2010
I think what ever we do should be national and very broad, this is one of the problems facing the save Nigerian group.
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by Gbawe: 10:47am On Mar 05, 2010
Beaf:

My friend , do you now see that you wrongly concluded that I was attacking Jonathan personally when I stated that , given his political anticedent , he will behave as he is now behaving? Clearly you are now dissapointed with Jonathan's performance but if you had pragmatically inspected his previous political actions and emergence as VP you will realise that Nigerians , if they are politically savvy, must look beyond another "business-as-usual" leader (Jonathan) to fix their gaze firmly on 2011. I have said this non-stop since this saga began. 

What we must do:

(1) Forget Jonathan . He is weak and too much of an appeasing peacemaker to have the bullishness to do the right things for our nation. The "right things" are those that run against the interest of the various cabals. Jonathan does not have the innate strenght, will, uprightness, zeal, bravery and political sagacity to deal with the powerful enemies of Nigeria . We are all seeing that now .

(2) Focus on 2011 with an eye on the Presidential candidates available . Robustly discuss all candidates with the ultimate goal of identifying the most progressive and sagacious candidate available.

(3) Once the best candidate is identified , we should all get behind this chap and back him 100%. I am talking the type of backing Obama recieved that would have made it impossible for even all the best election riggers in the World , combined , to deliver the Presidency to John McCain !!!

(4) During the elections itself Nigerians must be alert and ready to defend their votes . We must forget the notion that Jonathan is suddenly now a democrat who will conduct a free and fair election. Observant Nigerians should have seen enough from Jonathan in the past to disavow themselves of that notion.

(5) Replicate this formula at gubernatorial level since Governors also directly impact on Nigeria's progress with the good or bad leadership of their States.

(6) If , and that is  big "if" considering the desperation of do-or-die thugs politicians , Nigeria gains majority of leaders who have the mandate of Nigerians , starting from the President, we will have obtained a template and launching pad for development because these leaders will feel they owe allegiance to Nigerian voters and not kingmaking cabals .

There is a lot I have left out because of brevity but above , in a nutshell, is what we should do.
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by Beaf: 1:41pm On Mar 05, 2010
Gbawe:

My friend , do you now see that you wrongly concluded that I was attacking Jonathan personally when I stated that , given his political anticedent , he will behave as he is now behaving? Clearly you are now dissapointed with Jonathan's performance but if you had pragmatically inspected his previous political actions and emergence as VP you will realise that Nigerians , if they are politically savvy, must look beyond another "business-as-usual" leader (Jonathan) to fix their gaze firmly on 2011. I have said this non-stop since this saga began. 
. . .

I have been dissapointed from quite long ago, but the fight had a totally different target then (stopping the dangerous drift of the country), at that point in time, constituitional change was of overwhelming priority; anything else was a diversion and the same as cheering the cabal on. Naturally, I was insulted at being labelled in certain ways simply because I am from the ND like Jonathan (Nigeria and ND interests are very separate and different things). Don't put people in boxes because it suits a particular position you support. Lets get beyond these arguments.

@topic
I feel that, at this point, two things must be the major focus of Nigerians;
1. like Danjuma did, we should encourage Jonathan to very firmly wear the boots of authority
2. of paramount importance, ensure that Jonathan implements the Uwais recommendations for electoral reform and leaves a legacy of free and fair elections

Thorough and complete electoral reform is essential to our getting the right set of people in power, instead of vultures, jobbers and their hangers on. That is the only way we can set the country on the right path to development, individual fulfilment and equity.
It is the responsibility of each and every Nigerian to focus intensely and totally on this one task at the present time. If we must act, let it be for electoral reform; if we must pray, let us pray for electoral reform; if we must be cowardly, let us ensure that our last cry is for electoral reform; if we must pass the buck to our neighbour who can fight better, let us make sure they are fighting for electoral reform. Let our focus be unswerving.
It might be the only thing Jonathan can deliver, international help has already been offered to him, lets provide local help and support.

Looking to 2011 without setting a solid foundation will only be doing the same old thing and expecting a different result.
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by Beaf: 1:49pm On Mar 05, 2010
I will add a third thing to my list above. It is that blaming Jonathan for being weak is the same as looking in the mirror and denying that the reflection is ours. We have Yar Adua, Jonathan (still early) and the cabal because we are weak. We are weak and directionless, physically, mentally and morally.

Like I asked earlier;
Are those in countries where the people have risen and won the fight for their rights more human than us?
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by KnowAll(m): 2:18pm On Mar 05, 2010
When it has been decreed by your party that u cannot run next year for the Presidency, u are more or less condemned to a life of irrelevancy and lame duckling. To redeem any self prestige u have left knowing u were once a nonentity and within 14 months from now would return to your well established comfort zone, fighting those who you think would be somebody in less than 14 months might not be everybody’s idea of fun.

To be any relevant to the next government is to exercise patience and refrain from un-necessary sackings and sensationalism which would only draw accolades from the down and trodden of the society, who will with the passage of time, revert to their faceless and voiceless motion.

It takes a wise man to rule Nigeria, and such a person would have being endowed with the wisdom of King Solomon a thousand times
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by sashbaby(f): 2:48pm On Mar 05, 2010
how can u say such a thing knowall.u truly dont know anything. as danjuma said though i have no respect for him jonathan needs all the encouragement from nigerians to move our nation in the right direction. he should try and reshuffle the cabinet members those who are dropped for not performing should be handed over to efcc to account for their deeds. i really dont expect him to fully implement the uwais electoral reform due to the intrigues of power play in our polity but he should try very hard to make sure the elections are free from violence and the peoples vote count(one man one vote). for credible elections to take place inec should be overhauled starting from iwu. we can start building a new nigeria.
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by Pharoh: 2:49pm On Mar 05, 2010
With all these i don't think the uwais report will totally solve our problem come 2011.
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by PapaBrowne(m): 10:03pm On Mar 05, 2010
I think Jonathan has although slowly, made a lot of moves right. The most impressive for me is first the composition of the presidential advisory panel and secondly, the Projects assessment committee. While these might not seem like too much, I think they are in the right direction.What speaks volumes is the composition of these committees.

We might be anxious for so much to be done so fast, however, wisdom demands that if you want to succeed, you need to be sure that whatever actions you take would produce the intended results. To do that takes indept analysis and that takes time,

While I would have loved to see the FEC dissloved immediately, wisdoms demands that that should come at a later date when the political landscape has cooled. There is no need fighting with an enemy who has more arsenal than you do. Build your arsenal and then strike.
Jonathan is building! Give him a few weeks. On a day no one expects, he will strike.

Electoral reform.
I like Electoral reforms. I think it is essential. I think it will help the populace choose a leader they think is right, ut I have reservations.
I have noticed something with the majority of Nigerians. In a free and fair election, we will choose the wrong leader. That I can say with confidence. Most of the electorate haven't thought deeply on what would make a good leader.

The educated Nigerian assumes that someone that appears to fight for our freedom or someone with a disdain for rich people would make the best leader for Nigeria.
The poor Nigerian thinks that the Leader we need is one that will share money amongst poor people.
The Almajiri would seek one that would pay his ticket for a trip to mecca.
The Onitsha trader wants a government that would cancel import tariffs.
We need to first understand what kind of leadership we need before we start believing that electoral reforms would solve our problems.

I think Jonathan is moving and he seems to understand that History would be on his side if he does the right things. I am optimistic and hopeful. We might be at the threshold of a breakthrough. But still we must be vigilant.
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by xterra2(m): 10:29pm On Mar 05, 2010
@Topic

Jonathan sacking zero people see he knows what hes ddoing he us tread carefully.he is still acting and his boss is now back in Nigeria so he cant sack people he want to ,Yardua can surprise the World by coming out when least expected and then Jonathan will be out of favour with yaradua(please we dont want atiku Vs Obj)again,
But,if he is made the full President then he dont have somebody to fear he can do anythin he likes
This is politics and commonsense you have to play wise
Re: You And Jonathan Are Asleep, The Cabal Is Wide Awake by Beaf: 10:35pm On Mar 05, 2010
PapaBrowne:

I think Jonathan has although slowly, made a lot of moves right. The most impressive for me is first the composition of the presidential advisory panel and secondly, the Projects assessment committee. While these might not seem like too much, I think they are in the right direction.What speaks volumes is the composition of these committees.

We might be anxious for so much to be done so fast, however, wisdom demands that if you want to succeed, you need to be sure that whatever actions you take would produce the intended results. To do that takes indept analysis and that takes time,

While I would have loved to see the FEC dissloved immediately, wisdoms demands that that should come at a later date when the political landscape has cooled. There is no need fighting with an enemy who has more arsenal than you do. Build your arsenal and then strike.
Jonathan is building! Give him a few weeks. On a day no one expects, he will strike.

Electoral reform.
I like Electoral reforms. I think it is essential. I think it will help the populace choose a leader they think is right, ut I have reservations.
I have noticed something with the majority of Nigerians. In a free and fair election, we will choose the wrong leader. That I can say with confidence. Most of the electorate haven't thought deeply on what would make a good leader.

The educated Nigerian assumes that someone that appears to fight for our freedom or someone with a disdain for rich people would make the best leader for Nigeria.
The poor Nigerian thinks that the Leader we need is one that will share money amongst poor people.
The Almajiri would seek one that would pay his ticket for a trip to mecca.
The Onitsha trader wants a government that would cancel import tariffs.
We need to first understand what kind of leadership we need before we start believing that electoral reforms would solve our problems.

I think Jonathan is moving and he seems to understand that History would be on his side if he does the right things. I am optimistic and hopeful. We might be at the threshold of a breakthrough. But still we must be vigilant.

I really need to be convinced that there is political capital to be gained from Danjuma. It is one move from Jonathan that has left me totally bewildered.
What is the benefit? Is it a play on issues between core North and Middle Belt? There are several far less controversial alternatives to Danjuma.

(1) (Reply)

The Final Show Down For Nigeria! / Jonathan Set To Sign Local Content Bill. / 5 Nigerians Contest In Uk Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.