Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines (18509 Views)

Appeal Court Sacks Dino Melaye From The Senate, Orders New Election / Pump Action Rifles Destined For Nigeria Hidden In Sound Systems In Niger / Seized Pump Action Rifles: Nigerian Customs Meet With Turkish Ambassador(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by kirajustice: 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2017
The Nigerian senate has ordered for the immediate destruction of firearms illegally imported into the country. This development is coming up shortly after the Nigerian customs has recorded seizures of over 2000 pump action rifles illegally imported into Nigeria from Turkey.

In a statement obtained by PoliticsNGR, the Senate president, Bukola Saraki stated that a bill to increase fines for illegally imported firearms, including firearms without valid licenses has passed a second reading in the Senate.

He stated; "The 8th Senate passed the Second Reading of the Bill to amend the Fire Arms Act to provide for the increase of fines and the destruction of all firearms that are illegally imported into the country or that are in the possession of individuals that do not have valid licenses.

With the recent reports of the Nigerian Customs Service finding 4 illegal shipments of firearms in the last few weeks, this Bill is pertinent, because, with its eventual passage, we will be strengthening the existing Fire Arms Act and making our nation safer.

Apart from the fines and other punitive measures that are imposed against individuals, we will also be looking at the laws that are currently in place to ensure that shipping agents and other companies that are involved in the importation of illegal firearms into the nation are held liable.

Now that the Bill has been sent to the Committee on Judiciary and Legal Matters for further work, we will be having a public hearing on this Bill, to seek the support of experts, security agencies and the general public in coming up with a thorough legislative strategy to combat the proliferation of weapons in our country and our communities."

http://politicsngr.com/2017/09/27/seized-pumped-action-rifles-senate-orders-immediate-destruction-increase-fines/

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by sarrki(m): 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2017
Also the importers should forfeite all their properties

7 Likes

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by izzou(m): 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2017
grin

If I were the senate, I would have jejely handed them over to our security agencies to use

No time to start wasting any free resources

Opps, I forgot grin

I would also hand over a letter of appreciation from the government to the importers while they step into Kuje prisons

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by paiz: 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2017
Why would they destroy them?
Those Pump actions are better than those useless world war II AK47 our nigeria police is using

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by madridguy(m): 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2017
tongue
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by brainpulse: 4:39pm On Sep 27, 2017
Why is the Senate like this? How will you destroy Biafrain seized ammunitions when the case is in court and Kanu the end owner & user of the ammunition is still at large to answer for his crimes against the Nigeria state and humanity.

8 Likes

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by jeeqaa7(m): 4:39pm On Sep 27, 2017
wait ..gimme 1

1 Like

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by Dshocker(m): 4:39pm On Sep 27, 2017
kirajustice:
The Nigerian senate has ordered for the immediate destruction of firearms illegally imported into the country. This development is coming up shortly after the Nigerian customs has recorded seizures of over 2000 pump action rifles illegally imported into Nigeria from Turkey.

In a statement obtained by PoliticsNGR, the Senate president, Bukola Saraki stated that a bill to increase fines for illegally imported firearms, including firearms without valid licenses has passed a second reading in the Senate.

He stated; "The 8th Senate passed the Second Reading of the Bill to amend the Fire Arms Act to provide for the increase of fines and the destruction of all firearms that are illegally imported into the country or that are in the possession of individuals that do not have valid licenses.

With the recent reports of the Nigerian Customs Service finding 4 illegal shipments of firearms in the last few weeks, this Bill is pertinent, because, with its eventual passage, we will be strengthening the existing Fire Arms Act and making our nation safer.

Apart from the fines and other punitive measures that are imposed against individuals, we will also be looking at the laws that are currently in place to ensure that shipping agents and other companies that are involved in the importation of illegal firearms into the nation are held liable.

Now that the Bill has been sent to the Committee on Judiciary and Legal Matters for further work, we will be having a public hearing on this Bill, to seek the support of experts, security agencies and the general public in coming up with a thorough legislative strategy to combat the proliferation of weapons in our country and our communities."

http://politicsngr.com/2017/09/27/seized-pumped-action-rifles-senate-orders-immediate-destruction-increase-fines/

My people perish for lack of knowledge...... Instead of destroying those weapons,why not hand them over to the security forces in the country,which i know they are all under equipped,especially the Nigeria police.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by 9jvirgin(m): 4:39pm On Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if these senators are worthy of managing a nursery school talk less of managing a whole nation. How can the decisions regarding to people's lives and well being be left in the hands of these people?

8 Likes

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by ajiifixing(m): 4:40pm On Sep 27, 2017
Hope someone is not trying to destroy evidence?

15 Likes

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by mccoy47(m): 4:40pm On Sep 27, 2017
Why destroy them? undecided
9ja n wastage sha angry

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by martynsnet: 4:40pm On Sep 27, 2017
why not give it to the military?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by Negotiate: 4:41pm On Sep 27, 2017
Destruction?
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by Obudupikin: 4:41pm On Sep 27, 2017
Why destroy them?

Well,coming from the senate I'm not surprised with the suggestion.

Incase Saraki or one of his minions is reading this; may I remind them that this bill is not ''pertinent''. The bill for the establishment of special courts for corruption cases that has been lying in the senate for a while now is what should be considered as pertinent.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by UncutSk(m): 4:41pm On Sep 27, 2017
Gimme one to protect myself from Fulani herdsmen/ afonjas

2 Likes

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by Otunbalarry: 4:41pm On Sep 27, 2017
izzou:
grin

If I were the senate, I would have jejely handed them over to our security agencies to use

No time to start wasting any free resources

Opps, I forgot grin

I would also hand over a letter of appreciation from the government to the importers while they step into Kuje prisons

how sure are u that they will destroy it?
gives order for media sake and keeps it for govt use,lobatan

1 Like

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by NicoBaba(m): 4:41pm On Sep 27, 2017
destroy u say? are dey gon burn it ni or crush em.. diz is manna from turkey..they shud share it round to all military forces even boy scouts shud get one each

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by DckPssy(f): 4:42pm On Sep 27, 2017
Give it to iPob yoots

1 Like

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by bigwig10(m): 4:42pm On Sep 27, 2017
Why the destruction?
Why not hand it over automacally to security agents to use
And more stiffer penalty to illegal importer!!!

5 Likes

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by Vikings55: 4:42pm On Sep 27, 2017
Government!!!, never trust them . grin
Charlie putt abeg continue giving me attention grin
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by iamchybs(m): 4:43pm On Sep 27, 2017
Police no get enough weapon, na so so second hand AK47 them dey carry up and down, wey dey shoot before them pull trigger

Tomorrow, we'll hear someone stole money intended for weapon procurement for police.....

And you guys wanna destroy new weapons that God has allowed some miscreants to buy for the country.... Una no just gree get sense.... God have mercy and give this people sense

8 Likes

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by joenor(m): 4:43pm On Sep 27, 2017
Abeg ee
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by nairavsdollars(f): 4:43pm On Sep 27, 2017
Let the destruction be done in public. Dont talk of destruction in the morning and give to militants or political thugs in the night

1 Like

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by dataking: 4:44pm On Sep 27, 2017
Silly government. Why destroy it when it can be put to good use or auctioned.
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by reality17(m): 4:44pm On Sep 27, 2017
DckPssy:
Give it to iPob yoots

Bro how far? The thing didnt enter o
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by solonazzy: 4:45pm On Sep 27, 2017
are dey saying our force men cant use dem ??....im a bit lost

1 Like

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by Lanre4uonly(m): 4:45pm On Sep 27, 2017
Such ammunitions can be given to our security agencies to improve their productivity rather than destroying it. Anyway, i do hope the destruction of the ammunitions would be carried out and not being diverted into wrong hands.
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by me69: 4:46pm On Sep 27, 2017
Senate are foul of themselves. This is FG job and they know what they are doing, thorough investigation must be done. You can't just destroy evidence and our armed forces need them.

Senate should be scraped

1 Like

Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by princejones(m): 4:46pm On Sep 27, 2017
This shipment(firearm) will be useful for our FRSC officials
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by Dshocker(m): 4:47pm On Sep 27, 2017
brainpulse:
Why is Saraki always a goat? How will you destroy Biafrain seized ammunitions when the case is in court and Kanu the end owner & user of the ammunition is still at large to answer for his crimes against the Nigeria state and humanity.

I thought you are educated enough!
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by Adaumunocha(f): 4:47pm On Sep 27, 2017
Oh my God! So our forces cannot use them? Jeeez
Re: Seized Pump Action Rifles: Senate Orders Immediate Destruction, Increase Fines by anyebedgreat: 4:49pm On Sep 27, 2017
Order?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kwankwaso Pays Condolence Visit To Makarfi Over The Death Of His Father / 2023: PDP Governors In Deft Move Against Atiku, Saraki / LAWMA Destroys 400 Carts Of Cart Pushers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.