Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,684 members, 7,809,589 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies (10806 Views)

Rabies: US Bans Importation Of Dogs From Nigeria, 112 Countries / Abia State Residents Hold March Against Rabies (Photos) / World Rabies Day 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by logadims: 7:26am On Sep 28, 2017
Key facts

•Rabies is a vaccine-preventable viral disease which occurs in more than 150 countries and territories.

•Dogs are the main source of human rabies deaths, contributing up to 99% of all rabies transmissions to humans.

•Rabies elimination is feasible through vaccination of dogs and prevention of dog bites.

•Infection causes tens of thousands of deaths every year, mainly in Asia and Africa.

•40% of people bitten by suspect rabid animals are children under 15 years of age.

•Immediate, thorough wound washing with soap and water after contact with a suspect rabid animal is crucial and can save lives.

WHO, the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Global Alliance for Rabies Control (GARC)
have established a global “United Against Rabies” collaboration to provide a common strategy to achieve "Zero human rabies deaths by 2030".

Rabies is an infectious viral disease that is almost always fatal following the onset of clinical symptoms. In up to 99% of cases, domestic dogs are responsible for rabies virus
transmission to humans. Yet, rabies can affect both domestic and wild animals. It is spread to people through bites or scratches, usually via saliva.

Rabies is present on all continents, except Antarctica, with over 95% of human deaths occurring in the Asia and Africa regions.

SYMPTOMS
Recognizing the Symptoms
of Rabies

The period between the bite and the onset of symptoms is called the incubation period. It usually takes four to 12 weeks for a person to develop rabies symptoms once they’re infected. However, incubation periods can also range from a few days to six years.
The initial onset of rabies begins with flu-like symptoms,
including:
• fever
• muscle weakness
• tingling
You may also feel burning at the bite site.

Prevention

Eliminating rabies in dogs
Rabies is a vaccine-preventable disease. Vaccinating dogs is the most cost-effective strategy for preventing rabies in people.
Dog vaccination reduces deaths attributable to rabies and the need for PEP as a part of dog bite patient care.

Awareness on rabies and preventing dog bites

Education on dog behaviour and bite prevention for both children and adults is an essential extension of a rabies vaccination programme and can decrease both the incidence of human rabies and the financial burden of treating dog bites.
Increasing awareness of rabies prevention and control in communities includes education and information on responsible pet ownership, how to prevent dog bites, and
immediate care measures after a bite. Engagement and ownership of the programme at the community level increases
reach and uptake of key messages. This is what the Kennel Club of Rivers has been doing. Www.fb.com/kennelclubofrivers (go like that page,it's very essential for every dog lover.

Preventive immunization in people
Human rabies vaccines exist for pre-exposure immunization. These are recommended for people in certain high-risk occupations such as laboratory workers handling live rabies
and rabies-related (lyssavirus) viruses; and people (such as animal disease control staff and wildlife rangers) whose professional or personal activities might bring them into direct contact with bats, carnivores, or other mammals that may be infected.

Pre-exposure immunization is also recommended for travellers to rabies-affected, remote areas who plan to spend a lot of time outdoors involved in activities such as caving or mountain-climbing. Expatriates and long-term travellers to areas with a high rabies exposure risk should be immunized if
local access to rabies biologics is limited. Finally, immunization should also be considered for children living in, or visiting,
remote, high-risk areas. As they play with animals, they may receive more severe bites, or may not report bites.

Also;
• Vaccinate your pets.
• Keep your pets from roaming outside.
• Report stray animals to animal control.
• Avoid contact with wild animals.
• Prevent bats from entering living spaces or other structures near your home.

You should report any signs of an infected animal to your local animal control or health departments.

Cc: Lalasticlala mynd4

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by Tunndeh(m): 6:34am On Sep 29, 2017
Okay
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by lecturer11: 6:34am On Sep 29, 2017
Nice
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 29, 2017
I'm scared of dogs though, I don't see my self owning one at all.
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by chikasin4(m): 6:35am On Sep 29, 2017
Kok
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by DanielsParker(m): 6:36am On Sep 29, 2017
Educative .
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by birdsview(m): 6:37am On Sep 29, 2017
Me I want Cassava day..and yes..I mean tekno's cassava
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by Sisqoman(m): 6:37am On Sep 29, 2017
hmm! rabies
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by carls003(m): 6:38am On Sep 29, 2017
Ok
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by saxwizard(m): 6:39am On Sep 29, 2017
sora fun aja to fi epon panu

beware of dogs that feeds on scrotum
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by HMZi: 6:40am On Sep 29, 2017
VITAL PIECE OF INFO,a lot of un-tamed dogs in my ghetto
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by akindlesfarm: 6:41am On Sep 29, 2017
another me for rabies? hydrophobia who discovered the cure for rabies? Louis Pasteur
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by MrHighSea: 6:42am On Sep 29, 2017
Bad
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by lawrence7: 6:43am On Sep 29, 2017
Also of note is the fact that rabies is so fatal that only 1 or 2 people are known to have survived after the onset of symptoms.
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by olamil34(m): 6:43am On Sep 29, 2017
birdsview:
nigga u gay
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by dfrost: 6:48am On Sep 29, 2017
birdsview:

Whatttttttttt? Your fellow man's lipsrsealed
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by dfrost: 6:48am On Sep 29, 2017
olamil34:
nigga u gay

I weak my brother.
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by Diso60090(m): 6:50am On Sep 29, 2017
Tryna think what to type because am still thinking and if you think am still thinking you are still thinking to tryna type something but both of us are still thinking
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by spidey77: 6:51am On Sep 29, 2017
All because of Dog and Water. It has a very simple solution - Calabar Man. With good palmwine, We go chop both the dog, the rabies and the dogs children's rabies....

Talking about water, read about the most dangerous waterways on earth here

http://expressdigger..com/2017/05/there-are-quite-man-cannot-do-without.html
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by midgee(m): 6:56am On Sep 29, 2017
I buy gift cards of all sorts at amazing rate, call or whatsapp 0 7 0 6 4 4 3 7 3 7 0
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 29, 2017
cool.

For your piano,drums,guitar,vocal training,
whatsapp me 08083825042 facebook praise keys tobechi
Get the best training on any of the listed instruments professionally.....in three (3) months. Remember music is life and life is music!! (Lagos only)
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by chiiraq802(m): 6:59am On Sep 29, 2017
Owk ooooo....
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by logadims: 7:02am On Sep 29, 2017
www.fb.com/kennelclubofrivers (go like
that page) ,it's very essential for every dog lover.
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by Mrtesso: 7:06am On Sep 29, 2017
Is there any effective herbal, traditional cure/treatment for Rabies?
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by jairusben(m): 7:10am On Sep 29, 2017
Rabies and scabies..two evil tins...wen scabies catch me..nobody tell me..
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by birdsview(m): 7:23am On Sep 29, 2017
dfrost:

Whatttttttttt? Your fellow man's lipsrsealed
I want us to celebrated.for all the good work our cassava does na.making babies,making this women scream and all
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by ROBOCOB(m): 7:30am On Sep 29, 2017
Please I need animal control number in Nigeria. There is a dog roaming around my street for two days.
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by lonelydora: 8:07am On Sep 29, 2017
I no dey near dog
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by Scholar212(m): 8:29am On Sep 29, 2017
Mrtesso:
Is there any effective herbal, traditional cure/treatment for Rabies?
there is no cure, only 1 person has clinically been proven to have survived it after onset of symptoms. Once the person start exhibiting signs of infection, death is sure. Only vaccine for prevention and immediately after a suspected bite can work
Re: Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies by PierreDeFermat(m): 8:30am On Sep 29, 2017
when prophet Muhammad said you shouldn't keep dogs as pet,yall didn't listen to him. Everything God says is for own good

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Belgian Malinois Puppy / Brindle Female Bullmastiff Puppy For Sale Wit Parents Pix / The Petcare Thread: Ask All Petcare Related Questions Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.