Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,162 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? (11771 Views)

I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out / 6 Signs Your Sparkplugs Need To Be Replaced / Car Brake Experts Pls Save A Life. (2) (3) (4)

Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by neksummi(m): 9:10am On Sep 28, 2017
The brake system is one of the most important in cars, in urgent situations they can bring a car to an abrupt stop preventing it from colliding with obstacles or other cars. Thus the importance of an effective braking system cannot be underestimated. Components in this system that have a crucial role to play are called the brake pads. They apply pressure and create friction required to stop a moving car.

As one of the main functions of a car is moving from one point to the other, this then means that the brake pads will be constantly put to use as far as the car is operating and in motion. This article seeks to address how often brake pad needs replacement as well as signs of a worn brake pad.

How often should I replace my brake pad?

The frequency to which you need to replace your brake pads will be unique to the car; you’re driving and other factors. There is no set time for brake pad replacement because they are wear components that can be affected by several factors. Where you drive i.e. within the city or always traveling is one factor that can affect how a brake pad wears out. Cars driven regularly within a town tend to have brake pads that wear faster; this is because of the frequent usage of the brakes within the city as compared to when you are traveling.

Vehicle weight is also another factor that affects brake pad wear; you require more braking power to slow down or stop a heavier car and vice versa. Finally, the type of brake pad used can also determine how long it will last. All these factors taken into consideration can be used to estimate how frequent a brake pad needs replacement. However, it is advisable to always inspect your brake pad by a qualified mechanic or engineer after every 5,000 to 7,500 miles or at least twice a year. But if you hear any unfamiliar noise when braking and feel your brakes don’t function normally; please get your vehicle inspected immediately.

How to tell your brake pads are worn out

Some modern cars have wear sensors to detect when the brake pads are wearing out. But without sensors signs such as loud screeching when you step on the brakes, car pulling to one side, vibrations from brake pedal when you step on it, the reduced thickness of the brake pads, scratches on the brake disc etc are signs telling you that your brake pads are worn.

For best results that would save you time and money, it is best to trust the professionals when your brake pads are worn because we will always be able to help you with tasks that you are not familiar with.

Source: http://www.gattiautoservices.com/2017/09/19/car-brake-pads-often-replaced

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 29, 2017
I no get bicycle sef. Why am i here?

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by igbsam(m): 7:04am On Sep 29, 2017
As soon as u see it depleting
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by Dreamword24: 7:05am On Sep 29, 2017
Have not change mine for 3 years now. embarassed

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by segalex: 7:06am On Sep 29, 2017
Nice one
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by Tapout(m): 7:09am On Sep 29, 2017
ScotFree:
I no get bicycle sef

but u get leg and u dey wear shoe... Now check under ur shoe, if the thing done chop go one side, then time done reach to change am. For now na ur break pad be that. Same goes to all of us wey never get wheels grin

BTW, no condition is permanent cool

26 Likes

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by kekakuz(m): 7:13am On Sep 29, 2017
i have thesame pads since January kazeem told me to change it that its finished but i still dont see reasons why i should
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by frankomale1(m): 7:24am On Sep 29, 2017
Watin the mods see for car related topics this morning, make dem pack full front page
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by spidey77: 7:25am On Sep 29, 2017
i wonder why people like with dangerous stuffs like brakes

If you believe you have seen dangerous, check this our
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by tooth4tooth: 7:27am On Sep 29, 2017
It all depend on the quality of breakpad. Some of the breakpads they sell at Ekoku in PH hardly last for three months.

Those guys still claim they were original. There was an extent i complained they advised i should buy 'Belgium'. I was like WTF!!

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by DaV8King(m): 7:58am On Sep 29, 2017
Dreamword24:
Have not change mind for 3 years now. embarassed

How you never begin hear iron?!

Although it's possible you don't waka much

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by DaV8King(m): 8:01am On Sep 29, 2017
kekakuz:
i have thesame pads since January
kazeem told me to change it that its finished
but i still dont see reasons why i should

When kwee kwee kwee start, you will see why.

The thickness of the friction surface is probably low hence his suggestion.

Best thing is to observe your braking action for pulling, vibration and weird sounds, and seek a 2nd opinion
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by Fogman(m): 8:17am On Sep 29, 2017
The quality of brake pad determines how often to change. Ceramic brake pads are the best. Tends to last longer.

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by asawanathegreat(m): 8:25am On Sep 29, 2017
Good lesson I have learn from dis now
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by FunmyKemmy(f): 8:26am On Sep 29, 2017
Great piece.
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 29, 2017
asawanathegreat:
Good lesson I have learn from dis now

These are the kind if educative posts that are to make FP not ;See the python we killed huge python killed and cooked,python swallows goat,python caught dancing

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by psalmson001: 8:34am On Sep 29, 2017
Change ur break pads as soon as u start to hear pheeeeeeeeeeeeen when eva u apply the brakes.

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by donqx: 8:51am On Sep 29, 2017
oh
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by wildchild1: 8:59am On Sep 29, 2017
Once you start hearing brake sounds

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by LeJeun3: 9:57am On Sep 29, 2017

Ceramic Brake pads are the ish! No screetching sound, no wear dust, better wet braking etc

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by Omotaday(m): 10:44am On Sep 29, 2017
Since i bought my car in December, i have not changed the break pads, and the break still works good. No negative sign.
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by sammily(m): 11:04am On Sep 29, 2017
Which brand of breakpad is the best one can get in Nigeria?

Is Du-Craft breakpad a good brand for people that have used it because I thinking of changing mine very soon.
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by AkProsper(m): 11:50am On Sep 29, 2017
Tapout:

but u get leg and u dey wear shoe... Now check under ur shoe, if the thing done chop go one side, then time done reach to change am. For now na ur break pad be that. Same goes to all of us wey never get wheels grin

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by AkProsper(m): 11:50am On Sep 29, 2017
Tapout:

lol.
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by feelgoodstuffs(m): 2:41pm On Sep 29, 2017
I just changed mine last week wink
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by erico2k2(m): 2:48pm On Sep 29, 2017
LeJeun3:

Ceramic Brake pads are the ish! No screetching sound, no wear dust, better wet braking etc

Baba U forgot to add they are expensive plus the tittle of this thread should be *How often you check your Brake Pads *
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by Kereokwu(f): 3:17pm On Sep 29, 2017
Pls which is the best brand of break-pad, I changed mine a month ago and since then it's been 1 funny noise or the other. I went to a different mechanic and he told me to use Toyota break-pads that they are noiseless, what I am currently using is Yamasida(I hope I got d spellings correct).
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by Ignatio(m): 3:25pm On Sep 29, 2017
Op thanks for this info.
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by erico2k2(m): 5:37pm On Sep 29, 2017
Kereokwu:
Pls which is the best brand of break-pad, I changed mine a month ago and since then it's been 1 funny noise or the other. I went to a different mechanic and he told me to use Toyota break-pads that they are noiseless, what I am currently using is Yamasida(I hope I got d spellings correct).
Any Ceramic Brake pad will set ur mind at ease . They are premium though .
Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by LeJeun3: 6:47pm On Sep 29, 2017
erico2k2:

Baba U forgot to add they are expensive plus the tittle of this thread should be *How often you check your Brake Pads *

Premium price for premium parts.....

But many people feel their brakes work only when they hear fiiiiiiiii

Re: Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? by erico2k2(m): 7:48pm On Sep 29, 2017
LeJeun3:

Premium price for premium parts.....

But many people feel their brakes work only when they hear fiiiiiiiii

When you tell some people your brake Pads are 3 to 4 years Old they think you are high on cheap weed grin grin

Overheating In Rover 75 V6 2.5 Liter Engine / Mercedes-benz Is Rated The Most Valuable European Premium Automotive Brand / My Car Was Incorrectly Registered By The Previous Owner. Advice