Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,686 members, 7,820,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Graduate Without Wisdom - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Graduate Without Wisdom (843 Views)

How Long Have You Been A Graduate Without Employment / Graduate Without A Job? How To Create A Job From Home (secrets) / Employ An Electrical And Electronic Engineering Graduate Without Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduate Without Wisdom by stevococus(m): 9:49am On Sep 28, 2017
GRADUATES WITHOUT WISDOM
I have heard several graduates complain many times that they could not get employment in an establishment because the company is seeking for people with “ridiculous work experience” like 5 – 10 years. Another major complain or excuse is that they want to start their own business, but no capital.
I like telling stories and it has been working for me in explaining anything: so, permit me to do it again. I have a boy close to me. He graduated from a polytechnic. Instead of whiling away time at home due to the popular unemployment in the nation, he was encouraged to pick up the job of a fuel attendant at a filling station. It was a difficult decision, but I can tell you, he became a supervisor and surprisingly the Manager (Boss) within 6 months. I have a lady we joined my office within the same week. She is a computer science graduate and she started working as a computer studies/ICT teacher, which she did for 3 year. Presently, she is now working with an investment company; earning almost times four of the first salary. I also had a colleague who read mechanical engineering up to the master level she was in my office for four years (a work she was compelled to take back then), she is now with an engineering company where she is being paid almost times 5. I have a father/ pastor who is the Workshop manager of Piagio (Motorcycles and Tricycle Company), he said when he graduates from university he could not get any engineering job because of work experience requirement. He decided to take lesser jobs to gather this required experience and later he went back to fight for those desired jobs and he got it. Now he is the head of his company with over 20 certifications. Three months ago, I encouraged a sister in my church to take up a very small job available instead of staying at home earning nothing. I must not lie to you within that same month she got two better employments in which she had choose one, yet the sky is not the limit.
Most graduates think it is always as they had imagined or dreamt. Joseph Dreamt his parent and sibling bowed to him, but you all know the story. He started rough but eventually got there. It is not everyone that will graduate and get straight jobs in Chevron or Shell, go ask their M.D’s they will tell you more. Some people prefer to remain jobless for a decade until their dream jobs come, which most time will never come that way. Who want to employ a graduate of 6- 10years without any experience for any big position? It is good to pray for big opportunities, but opportunity, that I know, do not go find people; especially those sleeping at home.
You said you need half a million or two hundred thousand to start your own business, and a firm offer you a job of 30 thousand within a convenient distance and you said it is too small. A monthly saving of 20 thousand for a year will give you 240 thousand naira. Some of your friends, even those you admired on social media, had taken such jobs (grow beyond it) and they have broke loose of their parent’s pocket money: rented an apartment of their own, have a business of their own, got married and have a family of their own, drive a vehicle of their own and even travelled. You are there looking for a job that will start with 500 thousand naira only. I will also join you in prayers. Even if those “types” surface, how many people will think about you? Let think!
See, stop saying “that amount is too small for a graduate” Stop this over rating! Have you forgotten that some have masters and Phd? Does the church, mosque or family respect the word “graduate” anymore? It is what you have or can do they respect. Even the street people will say “who you help?” Think about this. Those that were in SS3 when we graduated 5 years or 6 years ago are now graduates now. If one does not move one’s life forward people will soon forget that one is a graduate because new graduates are emerging yearly.
When I started my own educational centre in 2013, I started small and also working a salary job with it. But today it didn’t remain small. If I didn’t start then despite very small, then I won’t have the employment of 8 persons today (5 being university graduates). Some of my first students then are now in their 3rd or 4th year in university. We have affected hundreds of people and we have even raise people to enviable personality. In fact, we have bought, purchased, invest, grow, travelled and done a lot by God grace. If I didn’t take a “small job” then to get the start up for my own business will be an excuse too and I will be there sleeping at home waiting for “nothing.” Ask those that are doing fine today, all didn’t start big or with big salary. Those that you call and they will tell you “guy/babe na manage we dey”, have houses and cars of their own… think o.
In fact God design our life to start small. Even Jesus started life a neo nata (New baby). Please know this, that a firm or shop you didn’t start cannot become a multinational tomorrow. You cannot rise to the top of the ladder in the organization you didn’t join in the first place.

4 Likes

Re: Graduate Without Wisdom by Josephjnr(m): 9:51am On Sep 28, 2017
Good talk.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Without Wisdom by joy199(f): 9:57am On Sep 28, 2017
stevococus:
GRADUATES WITHOUT WISDOM
I have heard several graduates complain many times that they could not get employment in an establishment because the company is seeking for people with “ridiculous work experience” like 5 – 10 years. Another major complain or excuse is that they want to start their own business, but no capital.
I like telling stories and it has been working for me in explaining anything: so, permit me to do it again. I have a boy close to me. He graduated from a polytechnic. Instead of whiling away time at home due to the popular unemployment in the nation, he was encouraged to pick up the job of a fuel attendant at a filling station. It was a difficult decision, but I can tell you, he became a supervisor and surprisingly the Manager (Boss) within 6 months. I have a lady we joined my office within the same week. She is a computer science graduate and she started working as a computer studies/ICT teacher, which she did for 3 year. Presently, she is now working with an investment company; earning almost times four of the first salary. I also had a colleague who read mechanical engineering up to the master level she was in my office for four years (a work she was compelled to take back then), she is now with an engineering company where she is being paid almost times 5. I have a father/ pastor who is the Workshop manager of Piagio (Motorcycles and Tricycle Company), he said when he graduates from university he could not get any engineering job because of work experience requirement. He decided to take lesser jobs to gather this required experience and later he went back to fight for those desired jobs and he got it. Now he is the head of his company with over 20 certifications. Three months ago, I encouraged a sister in my church to take up a very small job available instead of staying at home earning nothing. I must not lie to you within that same month she got two better employments in which she had choose one, yet the sky is not the limit.
Most graduates think it is always as they had imagined or dreamt. Joseph Dreamt his parent and sibling bowed to him, but you all know the story. He started rough but eventually got there. It is not everyone that will graduate and get straight jobs in Chevron or Shell, go ask their M.D’s they will tell you more. Some people prefer to remain jobless for a decade until their dream jobs come, which most time will never come that way. Who want to employ a graduate of 6- 10years without any experience for any big position? It is good to pray for big opportunities, but opportunity, that I know, do not go find people; especially those sleeping at home.
You said you need half a million or two hundred thousand to start your own business, and a firm offer you a job of 30 thousand within a convenient distance and you said it is too small. A monthly saving of 20 thousand for a year will give you 240 thousand naira. Some of your friends, even those you admired on social media, had taken such jobs (grow beyond it) and they have broke loose of their parent’s pocket money: rented an apartment of their own, have a business of their own, got married and have a family of their own, drive a vehicle of their own and even travelled. You are there looking for a job that will start with 500 thousand naira only. I will also join you in prayers. Even if those “types” surface, how many people will think about you? Let think!
See, stop saying “that amount is too small for a graduate” Stop this over rating! Have you forgotten that some have masters and Phd? Does the church, mosque or family respect the word “graduate” anymore? It is what you have or can do they respect. Even the street people will say “who you help?” Think about this. Those that were in SS3 when we graduated 5 years or 6 years ago are now graduates now. If one does not move one’s life forward people will soon forget that one is a graduate because new graduates are emerging yearly.
When I started my own educational centre in 2013, I started small and also working a salary job with it. But today it didn’t remain small. If I didn’t start then despite very small, then I won’t have the employment of 8 persons today (5 being university graduates). Some of my first students then are now in their 3rd or 4th year in university. We have affected hundreds of people and we have even raise people to enviable personality. In fact, we have bought, purchased, invest, grow, travelled and done a lot by God grace. If I didn’t take a “small job” then to get the start up for my own business will be an excuse too and I will be there sleeping at home waiting for “nothing.” Ask those that are doing fine today, all didn’t start big or with big salary. Those that you call and they will tell you “guy/babe na manage we dey”, have houses and cars of their own… think o.
In fact God design our life to start small. Even Jesus started life a neo nata (New baby). Please know this, that a firm or shop you didn’t start cannot become a multinational tomorrow. You cannot rise to the top of the ladder in the organization you didn’t join in the first place.
Nice write up , you are truly right.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Without Wisdom by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 28, 2017
You seem not to understand the point self... The low jobs no dey These low jobs you are talking of are barely available. Some people complain of GNLD whilst some people take the GNLD jobs. You think if the people taking the GNLD jobs see an offer of 50k they won't jump at it?? Stop being overly critical. You are talking like the fuel attendant and computer operator jobs are every where. We have an alarming situation. The number of jobseeking applicants BSc,HND, OND, NABTEB, SSCE are 100 times more than the available opportunity- menial or befitting . Are you not aware some people are volunteering i.e without pay in some organisation. The no of volunteer position are most times limited. Are there no graduates driving uber, do you have an idea how many graduates are doing driving and other menial jobs.
Let's stop coming criticising and unnecessary judgemental abeg! What you are calling wisdom is foolishness to some, And it has worked for them too. Point should be get busy, it does have to be menial jobs as you kept emphasising! We should find a solution. Would you wish for your generations to do menial jobs? How many of our parents did menial jobs. The menial jobs of those days were juicy. My uncle was a driver with Pepsi, he was able to build houses. My dad was not even a university graduate before he became chartered and he was termed wealthy. Today do you know how much some chartered accountants earn? How many of our so called leaders did the "menial jobs" during their time. Some of them were paid to be students. Is the situation supposed to be degrading? I ask again, will you wish for your kids to do menial jobs?

5 Likes

Re: Graduate Without Wisdom by carlarock: 10:11am On Sep 28, 2017
True talk. Nice one op., God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Without Wisdom by Akalia(m): 11:01am On Sep 28, 2017
OP the rationale behind your write-up is valid, no disputing the fact. But I beg to differ with regards to asserting that menial jobs are littering every nook and cranny looking for your stereotype of 'wise and hard working graduates' to take up. No graduate in Nigeria is lazy; no graduate sits at home day dreaming about his/her ideal job. Graduates in this country are resilient and patient, they deserve a pat on the back which will motivate them to remain steadfast and laser focused in scouting employment opportunities . Stop being too critical of graduates in this country, that graduate you take to be lazy and foolish might actually turn out to be a highly placed personnel of some big organisation tomorrow. This life is full of ironies if you know what I mean. No Nigerian graduate is lazy I reiterate, basic things graduates need in this country are platforms to leverage on such as more job creations in the government and private sectors; the government especially owes graduates so much because governments in first world countries create enabling environments to accommodate job seekers, over there in abroad you have choices when it comes to scouting for jobs but here in Nigeria the reverse is the case; governments abroad even go as far as having a viable social program to engage the unemployed pending when they get employment. I can go on and on but let me rest my case here.

4 Likes

Re: Graduate Without Wisdom by Tracypacy(f): 1:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
wink
Re: Graduate Without Wisdom by mavinjay1(m): 1:42pm On Jan 10, 2018
Akalia:
OP the rationale behind your write-up is valid, no disputing the fact. But I beg to differ with regards to asserting that menial jobs are littering every nook and cranny looking for your stereotype of 'wise and hard working graduates' to take up. No graduate in Nigeria is lazy; no graduate sits at home day dreaming about his/her ideal job. Graduates in this country are resilient and patient, they deserve a pat on the back which will motivate them to remain steadfast and laser focused in scouting employment opportunities . Stop being too critical of graduates in this country, that graduate you take to be lazy and foolish might actually turn out to be a highly placed personnel of some big organisation tomorrow. This life is full of ironies if you know what I mean. No Nigerian graduate is lazy I reiterate, basic things graduates need in this country are platforms to leverage on such as more job creations in the government and private sectors; the government especially owes graduates so much because governments in first world countries create enabling environments to accommodate job seekers, over there in abroad you have choices when it comes to scouting for jobs but here in Nigeria the reverse is the case; governments abroad even go as far as having a viable social program to engage the unemployed pending when they get employment. I can go on and on but let me rest my case here.
True yanz!!
Re: Graduate Without Wisdom by mavinjay1(m): 1:43pm On Jan 10, 2018
@OP... No be the same destiny we get ooo. Kadara ti Taiye yatosi tii Kehinde...

(1) (Reply)

Recruitment! Recruitment!! Recruitment!!! / Nlng Calling For Oral Interview / Massive Recruitment: Management Trainees (post-nysc Fresh Graduates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.