Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,538 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Kindly Help Analyse This Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Kindly Help Analyse This Dog (1294 Views)

Dear Nairalanders, Kindly Help Identify This Dog For A New Dog Owner / What Breed Is This Dog??? / Beware Of This Dog Salesman, He's A Big Scammer. PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by Jaltzsecur(m): 6:38pm On Sep 29, 2017
A client has just given me this dog, that I should give him whatever I feel like whenever I feel like. I felt I wasn't ready to start nursing a dog now but he insisted. So that's the story. Kindly help figure out the dog. If it's not pure at least on scale of 1 to 100, how legit is it?

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by toms55(m): 6:39pm On Sep 29, 2017
Nice dog bro, e remain small make e legit finish like 6/10

3 Likes

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by Greene66: 6:46pm On Sep 29, 2017
On a scale of 1 - 100

Alright, 2(Since u asked for it...)

Feed him well so he buff up
Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by Jaltzsecur(m): 6:51pm On Sep 29, 2017
Thanks a lot brov.
toms55:
Nice dog bro, e remain small make e legit finish like 6/10
Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by 14teenK: 7:08pm On Sep 29, 2017
That is a gsd you shouldn't take advice or rating from people who obviously have little knowledge of a gsd and do not even have an appraised one.
Your gsd is a saddle back that is maskless.. .probably genetics

3 Likes

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by flexshop(m): 7:23pm On Sep 29, 2017
14teenK:
That is a gsd you shouldn't take advice or rating from people who obviously have little knowledge of a gsd and do not even have an appraised one.
Your gsd is a saddle back that is maskless.. .probably genetics

I hardly comment on nairaland but you must be heartless to call this mixed breed a gsd saddle back. What do you hope to achieve with this misinformation? While it may have a gsd in it's bloodline, it has been grossly diluted by mutts along the line.
Giving that it's a lovely dog and should be cared for, give the correct info so the op can seek out pedigree gsd's and correct the breeding aberration if breeding the mixed breed (mongrel) is to be considered.

3 Likes

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by Jaltzsecur(m): 7:31pm On Sep 29, 2017
Thanks, I appreciate your input
Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by 14teenK: 8:19pm On Sep 29, 2017
flexshop:

I hardly comment on nairaland but you must be heartless to call this mixed breed a gsd saddle back. What do you hope to achieve with this misinformation? While it may have a gsd in it's bloodline, it has been grossly diluted by mutts along the line.
Giving that it's a lovely dog and should be cared for, give the correct info so the op can seek out pedigree gsd's and correct the breeding aberration if breeding the mixed breed (mongrel) is to be considered.
Firstly, don't use a foreign pic to judge o Nigerian bred gsd, you don't know what both owners have been feeding their dogs and how financially stable and time been afforded the dog.
Secondly, I said the dog was a gsd I never said it was 100% I can't judge that, you too can't. A dog can only be stated full breed after been appraised and as far as I know only boerbull owners do that in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by flexshop(m): 8:34pm On Sep 29, 2017
14teenK:
Firstly, don't use a foreign pic to judge o Nigerian bred gsd, you don't know what both owners have been feeding their dogs and how financially stable and time been afforded the dog.
Secondly, I said the dog was a gsd I never said it was 100% I can't judge that, you too can't. A dog can only be stated full breed after been appraised and as far as I know only boerbull owners do that in Nigeria.

It's salient to note that a goat can never be a cow no matter what you feed the goat. You don't need the American kernel society to tell you that the dog is not a saddle back gsd.

While you cannot say for sure a dogs pedigree in percentage, you can actually infer a lot merely looking at it. I can tell you that whatever gsd genes in that dog has been grossly violated by mutts.

Telling the op the true state of things will help inform his decision during breeding and save someone who may pick up a pup in future the harrowing experience of buying lemons in place of oranges....

2 Likes

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by Jaltzsecur(m): 8:45pm On Sep 29, 2017
@14teenk and @flexshop. Thanks so much for your analysis, based on your deductions, I can tell, there's still hope for my �. I will now invest more on it and give it quality care. It's a female actually and was also told it's 8 months old.
Whenever it's time for breeding, I will ensure I get a purer male to do the job. Thanks so much for your input guys.��
flexshop:

It's salient to note that a goat can never be a cow no matter what you feed the goat. You don't need the American kernel society to tell you that the dog is not a saddle back gsd.

While you cannot say for sure a dogs pedigree in percentage, you can actually infer a lot merely looking at it. I can tell you that whatever gsd genes in that dog has been grossly violated by mutts.

Telling the op the true state of things will help inform his decision during breeding and save someone who may pick up a pup in future the harrowing experience of buying lemons in place of oranges....
Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by 14teenK: 8:47pm On Sep 29, 2017
flexshop:

OK brother.....but please can you point out the facts that led to your conclusion that the Gsd is a mixed breed and what factors determine a purebred Gsd.

Modified : what you said above about a goat never turning into a cow, are you trying to imply that a specie feeding on a quality balanced diet and another who solely depend on rice would turn out the same?....NO.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by flexshop(m): 9:05pm On Sep 29, 2017
14teenK:
OK brother.....but please can you point out the facts that led to your conclusion that the Gsd is a mixed breed and what factors determine a purebred Gsd.

Modified : what you said above about a goat never turning into a cow, are you trying to imply that a specie feeding on a quality balanced diet and another who solely depend on rice would turn out the same?....NO.

Size, Proportion, Substance: The desired height for males at the top of the highest point of the shoulder blade is 24 to 26 inches; and for bitches, 22 to 24 inches. The German Shepherd Dog is longer than tall, with the most desirable proportion as 10 to 81⁄2. The length is measured from the point of the prosternum or breastbone to the rear edge of the pelvis, the ischial tuberosity. The desirable long proportion is not derived from a long back, but from overall length with relation to height, which is achieved by length of forequarter and length of withers and hindquarter, viewed from the side.

Head: The head is noble, cleanly chiseled, strong without coarseness, but above all not fine, and in proportion to the body. The expression keen, intelligent and composed. Eyes of medium size, almond shaped, set a little obliquely and not protruding. The color is as dark as possible. Ears are moderately pointed, in proportion to the skull, open toward the front, and carried erect when at attention, the ideal carriage being one in which the center lines of the ears, viewed from the front, are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the ground. A dog with cropped or hanging ears must be disqualified. Seen from the front the forehead is only moderately arched, and the skull slopes into the long, wedge-shaped muzzle without abrupt stop. The muzzle is long and strong, and its topline is parallel to the topline of the skull. Nose black. A dog with a nose that is not predominantly black must be disqualified. The lips are firmly fitted. Jaws are strongly developed. Teeth - 42 in number - 20 upper and 22 lower - are strongly developed and meet in ascissors bite in which part of the inner surface of the upper incisors meet and engage part of the outer surface of the lower incisors. An overshot jaw or a level bite is undesirable. An undershot jaw is a disqualifying fault. Complete dentition is to be preferred. Any missing teeth other than first premolars is a serious fault.

Neck, Topline, Body: The neck is strong and muscular, clean-cut and relatively long, proportionate in size to the head and without loose folds of skin. When the dog is at attention or excited, the head is raised and the neck carried high; otherwise typical carriage of the head is forward rather than up and but little higher than the top of the shoulders, particularly in motion. Topline - The withers are higher than and sloping into the level back. The back is straight, very strongly developed without sag or roach, and relatively short. The whole structure of the body gives an impression of depth and solidity without bulkiness. Chest - Commencing at the prosternum, it is well filled and carried well down between the legs. It is deep and capacious, never shallow, with ample room for lungs and heart, carried well forward, with the prosternum showing ahead of the shoulder in profile. Ribs well sprung and long, neither barrel-shaped nor too flat, and carried down to a sternum which reaches to the elbows. Correct ribbing allows the elbows to move back freely when the dog is at a trot. Too round causes interference and throws the elbows out; too flat or short causes pinched elbows. Ribbing is carried well back so that the loin is relatively short. Abdomen firmly held and not paunchy. The bottom line is only moderately tucked up in the loin. Loin Viewed from the top, broad and strong. Undue length between the last rib and the thigh, when viewed from the side, is undesirable. Croup long and gradually sloping. Tail bushy, with the last vertebra extended at least to the hock joint. It is set smoothly into the croup and low rather than high. At rest, the tail hangs in a slight curve like a saber. A slight hook- sometimes carried to one side-is faulty only to the extent that it mars general appearance. When the dog is excited or in motion, the curve is accentuated and the tail raised, but it should never be curled forward beyond a vertical line. Tails too short, or with clumpy ends due to ankylosis, are serious faults. A dog with a docked tail must be disqualified.

Forequarters: The shoulder blades are long and obliquely angled, laid on flat and not placed forward. The upper arm joins the shoulder blade at about a right angle. Both the upper arm and the shoulder blade are well muscled. The forelegs, viewed from all sides, are straight and the bone oval rather than round. The pasterns are strong and springy and angulated at approximately a 25-degree angle from the vertical. Dewclaws on the forelegs may be removed, but are normally left on. The feet are short, compact with toes well arched, pads thick and firm, nails short and dark.

Hindquarters: The whole assembly of the thigh, viewed from the side, is broad, with both upper and lower thigh well muscled, forming as nearly as possible a right angle. The upper thigh bone parallels the shoulder blade while the lower thigh bone parallels the upper arm. The metatarsus (the unit between the hock joint and the foot) is short, strong and tightly articulated. The dewclaws, if any, should be removed from the hind legs. Feet as in front.

Coat: The ideal dog has a double coat of medium length. The outer coat should be as dense as possible, hair straight, harsh and lying close to the body. A slightly wavy outer coat, often of wiry texture, is permissible. The head, including the inner ear and foreface, and the legs and paws are covered with short hair, and the neck with longer and thicker hair. The rear of the forelegs and hind legs has somewhat longer hair extending to the pastern and hock, respectively. Faults in coat include soft, silky, too long outer coat, woolly, curly, and open coat.

Culled from the American kernel club

I have given you the marking sheet, now grade

Enough said
Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by 14teenK: 9:14pm On Sep 29, 2017
flexshop:

Size, Proportion, Substance: The desired height for males at the top of the highest point of the shoulder blade is 24 to 26 inches; and for bitches, 22 to 24 inches. The German Shepherd Dog is longer than tall, with the most desirable proportion as 10 to 81⁄2. The length is measured from the point of the prosternum or breastbone to the rear edge of the pelvis, the ischial tuberosity. The desirable long proportion is not derived from a long back, but from overall length with relation to height, which is achieved by length of forequarter and length of withers and hindquarter, viewed from the side.

Head: The head is noble, cleanly chiseled, strong without coarseness, but above all not fine, and in proportion to the body. The expression keen, intelligent and composed. Eyes of medium size, almond shaped, set a little obliquely and not protruding. The color is as dark as possible. Ears are moderately pointed, in proportion to the skull, open toward the front, and carried erect when at attention, the ideal carriage being one in which the center lines of the ears, viewed from the front, are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the ground. A dog with cropped or hanging ears must be disqualified. Seen from the front the forehead is only moderately arched, and the skull slopes into the long, wedge-shaped muzzle without abrupt stop. The muzzle is long and strong, and its topline is parallel to the topline of the skull. Nose black. A dog with a nose that is not predominantly black must be disqualified. The lips are firmly fitted. Jaws are strongly developed. Teeth - 42 in number - 20 upper and 22 lower - are strongly developed and meet in ascissors bite in which part of the inner surface of the upper incisors meet and engage part of the outer surface of the lower incisors. An overshot jaw or a level bite is undesirable. An undershot jaw is a disqualifying fault. Complete dentition is to be preferred. Any missing teeth other than first premolars is a serious fault.

Neck, Topline, Body: The neck is strong and muscular, clean-cut and relatively long, proportionate in size to the head and without loose folds of skin. When the dog is at attention or excited, the head is raised and the neck carried high; otherwise typical carriage of the head is forward rather than up and but little higher than the top of the shoulders, particularly in motion. Topline - The withers are higher than and sloping into the level back. The back is straight, very strongly developed without sag or roach, and relatively short. The whole structure of the body gives an impression of depth and solidity without bulkiness. Chest - Commencing at the prosternum, it is well filled and carried well down between the legs. It is deep and capacious, never shallow, with ample room for lungs and heart, carried well forward, with the prosternum showing ahead of the shoulder in profile. Ribs well sprung and long, neither barrel-shaped nor too flat, and carried down to a sternum which reaches to the elbows. Correct ribbing allows the elbows to move back freely when the dog is at a trot. Too round causes interference and throws the elbows out; too flat or short causes pinched elbows. Ribbing is carried well back so that the loin is relatively short. Abdomen firmly held and not paunchy. The bottom line is only moderately tucked up in the loin. Loin Viewed from the top, broad and strong. Undue length between the last rib and the thigh, when viewed from the side, is undesirable. Croup long and gradually sloping. Tail bushy, with the last vertebra extended at least to the hock joint. It is set smoothly into the croup and low rather than high. At rest, the tail hangs in a slight curve like a saber. A slight hook- sometimes carried to one side-is faulty only to the extent that it mars general appearance. When the dog is excited or in motion, the curve is accentuated and the tail raised, but it should never be curled forward beyond a vertical line. Tails too short, or with clumpy ends due to ankylosis, are serious faults. A dog with a docked tail must be disqualified.

Forequarters: The shoulder blades are long and obliquely angled, laid on flat and not placed forward. The upper arm joins the shoulder blade at about a right angle. Both the upper arm and the shoulder blade are well muscled. The forelegs, viewed from all sides, are straight and the bone oval rather than round. The pasterns are strong and springy and angulated at approximately a 25-degree angle from the vertical. Dewclaws on the forelegs may be removed, but are normally left on. The feet are short, compact with toes well arched, pads thick and firm, nails short and dark.

Hindquarters: The whole assembly of the thigh, viewed from the side, is broad, with both upper and lower thigh well muscled, forming as nearly as possible a right angle. The upper thigh bone parallels the shoulder blade while the lower thigh bone parallels the upper arm. The metatarsus (the unit between the hock joint and the foot) is short, strong and tightly articulated. The dewclaws, if any, should be removed from the hind legs. Feet as in front.

Coat: The ideal dog has a double coat of medium length. The outer coat should be as dense as possible, hair straight, harsh and lying close to the body. A slightly wavy outer coat, often of wiry texture, is permissible. The head, including the inner ear and foreface, and the legs and paws are covered with short hair, and the neck with longer and thicker hair. The rear of the forelegs and hind legs has somewhat longer hair extending to the pastern and hock, respectively. Faults in coat include soft, silky, too long outer coat, woolly, curly, and open coat.

Culled from the American kernel club

I have given you the marking sheet, now grade

Enough said

Lol, you didn't have to post all this. Every Gsd owner should have researched all of this now my questions are,
1) is the dog posted above an adult dog and has it attained it's maximum maturity?
Op said the dog was just 8months old.
2) did you carry out the above laid down rules of measurement to know if it attained maximum height and weight or do you make your own judgement simply by starring at a pic?

Lastly, I believe without you checkmating the above laid rules about Gsd on the op's dog, you shouldn't call it a mixed breed just by starring at a pic.

2 Likes

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by flexshop(m): 9:16pm On Sep 29, 2017
14teenK:

Nature and nurture both play vital roles in the outcome of your dog.

Imagine two dogs: one 50% bull mastiff and 50% mongrel, and another bull mastiff 100%.

Feed dog 1 100% and dog 2 50% , which do you think would look better?
The gene for muscle formation in dog 1 may be affected in a way that no matter what you feed, it's junk in junk out.

So my hypothesis stands, a goat can't be a lion.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by flexshop(m): 9:19pm On Sep 29, 2017
14teenK:
Lol, you didn't have to post all this. Every Gsd owner should have researched all of this now my questions are,
1) is the dog posted above an adult dog and has it attained it's maximum maturity?
Op said the dog was just 8months old.
2) did you carry out the above laid down rules of measurement to know if it attained maximum height and weight or do you make your own judgement simply by starring at a pic?

Lastly, I believe without you checkmating the above laid rules about Gsd on the op's dog, you shouldn't call it a mixed breed just by starring at a pic.

You are correct the dog is still young. But some features start showing as early as that age.
While it may not have attained the height and weight of a 2year old, at 8 months, the head features start becoming prominent. Only looking at the head, let's not go down to other features disqualifies it as a 60% gsd which is my minimum qualification

1 Like

Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by Jaltzsecur(m): 9:32pm On Sep 29, 2017
But if the dog was well fed, would the head features be more prominent. Cos I reckon. Feeding was an issue. Hence the more reason owner insisted on giving it away.
flexshop:

You are correct the dog is still young. But some features start showing as early as that age.
While it may not have attained the height and weight of a 2year old, at 8 months, the head features start becoming prominent. Only looking at the head, let's not go down to other features disqualifies it as a 60% gsd which is my minimum qualification
Re: Kindly Help Analyse This Dog by flexshop(m): 9:37pm On Sep 29, 2017
Jaltzsecur:
But if the dog was well fed, would the head features be more prominent. Cos I reckon. Feeding was an issue. Hence the more reason owner insisted on giving it away.

In a way yes, but it can never be up to the standard of a pedigree gsd.

My final piece here is take good care of your dog but if you ever consider breeding, get a pedigree gsd stud

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Adult German Shepherds For Sale / Maya Just Littered 10 Pups....book now for pedigree rott pup! / I Need Your Advise On How To Help My First GSD Grow Adequately.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.