Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,676 members, 7,844,227 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Say "NO" to Monsatan - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Say "NO" to Monsatan (572 Views)

Nigerians Say No To GMO Genetically Modified Organisms / Heat Stress Alert!! Say No To Heat Stress With Electric Fogger. Call 09094538736 / Say No To Doc Hike Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Say "NO" to Monsatan by enchilada: 1:53am On Oct 01, 2017
Sorry I meant Monsanto. GMO produce that may be flooding Nigerian markets soon could include Corn. Monsanto, as you may already be aware, produce GMO seeds that give rise to genetically modified foods which are the leading cause of poor immunity, allergies and cancer. Many countries have banned the use of GMO seeds and foods from GMO seeds must be clearly labelled as such. Monsanto is now collaborating with key partners to distribute GMO corn seedlings in Africa. It is being distributed in Kenya, Uganda, South Africa and is only a matter of time before it hits Nigeria. Say "No" to poison and eradicate corn from your diet or grow yours to be on the safe side. On a side note, Nigeria is no longer importing rice. I'd be curious to know what type of rice seeds are being planted? I have a feeling those commercially grown will be GMO-based. An excerpt from the Monsanto's official website is below and link to the full article is below. "Water Efficient Maize for Africa (WEMA)
In Africa, maize (also referred to as corn) is the main source of food for more than 300 million people. However, the production of maize in this area can be challenging due to the lack of rainfall and poor access to seed varieties. The WEMA project, a collaborative effort, strives to improve food security and livelihoods among smallholder farmers in sub-Saharan Africa by developing hybrid maize seed that uses water more efficiently and resists insect pests. The WEMA partnership works to develop seed (both conventionally produced and improved through biotechnology) for African farmers under the TELA™ and DroughtTEGO™ brands, respectively.
The collaboration makes the seed products available to African seed companies of all sizes, royalty free, so they can offer these hybrid seeds to smallholder farmers. Since the inception of the project in 2013, more than 90 conventional DroughtTEGO hybrids have been approved for commercial release in Kenya, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda. Many seed companies now license these new hybrids and make them commercially available to African farmers – without paying a royalty to Monsanto." https://monsanto.com/company/outreach/water-efficient-maize-africa/
Re: Say "NO" to Monsatan by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 01, 2017
These companies are very influential over governments. Food is used to increase their control over as much people as possible and also population control.
Re: Say "NO" to Monsatan by Nobody: 3:35am On Oct 02, 2017
Articles, threads, discussions etc without proofs, evidences, etc are just noise making platforms which promote GMO more. The yellow cassava fortified with vitamin A from IITA has killed millions, right? Or do we think its naturally, organically made? We have been eating GMO for how many years now. So? What is needed is to get enough education on this topic. Let's look at the good and bad sides and consider them well. And try visit farmers to know their challenges.

My concern is 99.9% users of nairaland who visit Agric section regularly are spectators yet they try writing like experts.

Anyway, I favor organic over GMO anytime but I do not criticise without getting my facts first.

2 Likes

Re: Say "NO" to Monsatan by Nobody: 4:57am On Oct 02, 2017
Trash ! Trash!! Trash!!!

(1) (Reply)

Industral Tool Like Meat,fish Slicer,yurghot Mechine, Plantain Chip Slicer, Etc / Over 2000 Crates Large Size Eggs Available In Ibadan For Bulk Buyers / Why You Need Soil Testing And Analysis Before Planting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.