Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Referendum: Catalonia Votes For Secession From Spain Today Amid Tensions - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Referendum: Catalonia Votes For Secession From Spain Today Amid Tensions (434 Views)

Iran Launches 3 Satellites Simultaneously Into Orbit Amid Tensions With West / Russia Tests S-400 Missiles In Crimea Amid Tensions With Ukraine / Catalan Parliament Declares Independence From Spain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Referendum: Catalonia Votes For Secession From Spain Today Amid Tensions by 9inches(m): 5:01am On Oct 01, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHV5gHeVgH0

An illegal referendum in the Spanish region of Catalonia is under way despite a massive effort by the Spanish central government to stop it. Late into the night, at schools in Barcelona, pro-independence campaigners camped out, many with children, in an attempt to keep the schools open to ensure they can be used as polling stations today.

At the Joan Pelegrí School in the Barcelona district of Sants, scores of children played in the courtyard until late. Among them we found parent Esteve Arboix. "For me, as a Catalan, it's very important. It's a moment we have been waiting for for generations. And I think it's a great opportunity for us." he said. "I will vote yes because Catalonia has its own language, it's own culture and I think it's for the best future for our families."

On the orders of the central government in Madrid, thousands of national police have been drafted in to shut down the polling stations. The Spanish government's appointee in the region said on Saturday that the technological infrastructure for voting and counting ballots had been dismantled making the referendum 'absolutely impossible'.

And speaking to Sky News from Madrid, the Spanish Foreign Minister, Alfonso Dastis, said the vote would not happen. "There is no referendum. There are no voting premises. There are no ballot papers. There are no authorities to check the authenticity of the results. There may be some sham voting in some places and streets but I don't think there is going to be a referendum tomorrow," Mr Dastis said.

The Spanish central government's assertion that the referendum is illegal is backed up by the courts and a judgement based on the Spanish constitution which says the country is indivisible. "Democracy is not above the rule of law. Democracy is guaranteed by the rule of law," Mr Dastis told Sky.

On Saturday, thousands marched through Madrid protesting against what they see as a separatist attempt to split up the nation. They demanded that the Catalan leaders be jailed. And in the Catalan capital of Barcelona, thousands more marched urging unity rather than independence. So far, there have only been minor incidents of tension between the two sides. Overall the campaign has been peaceful. But its not clear what will happen as police move in to prevent voting from taking place.

Spain's Foreign Minister preemptively placed the blame for any violence with the Catalan independence movement. "The law enforcement officers are there showing a lot of restraint. Any violence is not coming from them. There is harassment coming from the groups supporting the referendum. We will do all we possibly can," he added.

In the schools, there is a sense of nervousness. "I am not sure what will happen. I hope that everything will be peaceful," Esteve Arboix says. "If police come here to block the voting, you will show to all the world what is happening. We don't want to fight. We will just try to vote. Even if you want to say 'yes' or 'no', it's just a question of democracy."

Spain's Interior Ministry claims that police have sealed off 'most' of the region's 2,000+ polling stations. However, overnight, Sky News saw a number in central Barcelona still open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ijo0MF4g6A
http://news.sky.com/story/illegal-referendum-gets-under-way-in-catalonia-amid-fears-of-violence-11062371

Re: Referendum: Catalonia Votes For Secession From Spain Today Amid Tensions by simultaneousboi(m): 5:37am On Oct 01, 2017
A lesson to Nigeira

(1) (Reply)

Beautiful Japanese Reporter Dies After 159 Hours Of Overtime / See The Most Powerful Woman In The World According To Forbes Magazine / Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Female Robot, Sophia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.