Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,251 members, 7,836,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Nigeria At 57: Nothing To Celebrate About - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria At 57: Nothing To Celebrate About (395 Views)

Yahaya Bello Is 44, His Mother Dies At 101 — Did She Have Him At 57? / Nothing To Celebrate About Nigeria's Independence- Emmanuel Kings / Nigeria At 57; The Akwa Ibom Lens And Shutter Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria At 57: Nothing To Celebrate About by spafu(m): 8:45am On Oct 01, 2017
Any nation that fails to educate and empower its younger generations for ease of transition is a nation whose future is bleak - Shehu Aliyu Francis
Two days ago I had web content project to deliver to a client and some hours to the agreed time there was a complete blackout in power supply in my vicinity. And I only needed to put some finishing touch to give to bring it live. From nowhere, I started to form some thick sweat in my entire body, and the drops from my forehead and running through my neck could be likened to those of a teary sky. And that was because my generator that had always come handy on days like this had developed an electrical fault which had reoccurred the same day I brought it back from the repairer. My only bet, now, was to wait for our extorting-darkness-loving utility provided. And I did more than hold on, such that I could hardly sleep for a thirty-minute stretch. And there was no light throughout that long night. So first thing in the morning, I dashed out to see if I could find another area that had light, “wusai!” The situation almost seemed as if the entire state was in a deep embrace with darkness, and I could only imagine what my client would be thinking of me. I thanked God that the phone housing the SIM he had access to was down- you know, I completely begin to stammer when I am unable to keep a promise, especially in a business transaction. It was while looking for a solution to this quagmire that I overheard a young man telling another that he was on his way to charge his phone. I quickly asked where and I was told, in a Nairabet's Agent betting centre, where they have a standby generator. And lucky for me, the place was in proximity to where we were. And when we got there, boy oh boy, the entire youth population of Nigeria was full representation. Wow! Wow!! Just wow. It seems everyone now plays football betting. I wept for this country. I mean I literally wept for this country, and as I write this, I am fighting back the tears that are lurking in the corners of my two eyes. I could not help but wonder how a nation with this number of young, able-bodied men, who look very vibrant, agile and energetic, be allowed to waste their youthfulness and usefulness in the hope of having a winning or two. A winning that they hope could take them away from their present state of lack and to a state of abundance.
Here in this country, we had a Minister of Labour who was 23 years old and a head of state who was barely 30 years old and a bachelor. At the time the present president of Nigeria, Muhamadu Buhari became the Governor of Borno state in 1975, he was 33 years and was among those telling some of these youth, when they were but toddlers, that they were the future of this country and its future leaders. Today, those youth have come full cycle, and they have been met without a future. Rather, our wicked, corrupt, recycled and expired leaders have succeeded in making them master predictors of winnings and odds. What has become of Nigeria and its youth population?
So you tell me, what is in Nigeria to celebrate? What is a country without future? What is a country whose future leaders are more disposed to betting, availing themselves to be used as political thugs every evil? As for me, if I must be truthful to myself (you can't be more truthful to anyone than yourself) I see nothing to celebrate.
My question to you is, are you a Nigerian youth? Are you asking the right question? If you are a youth in Nigeria and you are not asking the right questions and devising how you could extricate yourself from this bondage you had found yourself, then, believe me, you are equally the problem. Every discomforting situation is an opportunity to take a step to put things right. Are you comfortable with your situation? I leave you with that.
Source:http://www.ojojorok.com/2017/10/nigeria-at-57-nothing-to-celebrate-about.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

IPOB Leader: Nnamdi Kanu Is Currently In London - Former Gov Of Abia, Orji Kalu / Ex-military Governor Of Kaduna died At 73 / Ayade Attends Security Summit In Uyo. Admonishes FG To Provide Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.